Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers 15:20 - Feb 3 with 4833 viewsdenhamhoop2

See thanks to public pressure and their main sponsor withdrawing the board have issued a statement saying he won't be playing for the club. So where as fans do we draw a line on who we would want wearing the shirt. This footballer has not actually been convicted in a criminal court even though he was found guilty of the charge of rape in a civil court.
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 15:29 - Feb 3 with 4804 views100percent

I know exactly where I stand as a fan and also as a decent human being, they should never have even entertained the idea of employing the scumbag IMO.
Poorly handled by the club, complete turnaround and leaves them in an embarrassing position, because everyone knows exactly what they really preferred to do.
It's beyond me that they even considered it an option.
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 15:53 - Feb 3 with 4707 viewsSharpy36

How did he manage to fly below the radar at Clyde between 2017 and 2022 ?

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 16:25 - Feb 3 with 4625 viewsgobbles

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 15:53 - Feb 3 by Sharpy36

How did he manage to fly below the radar at Clyde between 2017 and 2022 ?

Clyde is below the radar. Average crowd 640
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 16:31 - Feb 3 with 4596 viewsE17hoop

He lost a civil case on the balance of probabilities, was "not an impressive witness" and has not shown any remorse.

His evidence was inconsistent - he could remember loads when it was about anyone else but "his recollection apparently faulty on matters possibly prejudicial to him". I strongly suggest reading the judgment to see just how much of a piece of shít he is. https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=d22e28a7-8980-69d2-b5

Raith Rovers got it wrong - their board debated signing him and decided not to and then the CEO ignored them and signed him anyway. They declared it was 'a football matter' as if a football club is just that. They dropped a bóllóck and have realised that some things are bigger than football.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 20:50 - Feb 3 with 4326 viewsTonto

I get peopel deserve a second chance. But to do so would require some sort of remorse, an apology, a promise to be a better person. It would appear that Goodwill has done no such thing.

Now I appreciate that doing so may imply some guilt and could render himself subject to prosecution? Not sure on the Scottish law position (which could be different than English law). But he could still come out and say something positive and show he has some conscience.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 08:32 - Feb 4 with 4144 viewssaxbend

Unless the civil court has some alarmingly low level of required evidence for conviction, that should be enough, shouldn't it?
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 15:54 - Feb 4 with 3881 viewsPinnerPaul

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 08:32 - Feb 4 by saxbend

Unless the civil court has some alarmingly low level of required evidence for conviction, that should be enough, shouldn't it?

Its the difference between "Beyond all reasonable doubt" and " On the balance of probabilities"
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 16:31 - Feb 4 with 3802 viewsRBlock

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 15:54 - Feb 4 by PinnerPaul

Its the difference between "Beyond all reasonable doubt" and " On the balance of probabilities"

Nobody had an issue when Terry was found guilty, on the balance of probabilities, of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand.
Login to get fewer ads

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 17:13 - Feb 4 with 3704 viewsPinnerPaul

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 16:31 - Feb 4 by RBlock

Nobody had an issue when Terry was found guilty, on the balance of probabilities, of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand.

No that's true, but again that's why he wasn't ever found guilty in a court of law - one man's word against another is never going to be "beyond all reasonable doubt"
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 19:17 - Feb 4 with 3583 viewsbollockchops

but Ched Evans is ok ? and Craig Charles ?
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 20:05 - Feb 4 with 3544 viewskensalriser

Good Willie has two convictions for assault which does somewhat start to build a character profile.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 22:51 - Feb 4 with 3464 viewsTonto

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 19:17 - Feb 4 by bollockchops

but Ched Evans is ok ? and Craig Charles ?

Craig Charles was acquitted. Very different circumstances

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 12:07 - Feb 5 with 3215 viewsPaddyhoops

I wonder who sat down in the boardroom and thought this was a good idea for the clubs profile and the female supporters.
Thick as s**t!
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 14:56 - Feb 5 with 3104 viewsMrSheen

Right on cue, Marcos Alonso appears. “Not everyone’s cup of tea”, as Jonathan Pearce delicately described him.
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 20:13 - Feb 5 with 2979 views1MoreBrightonR

Also, he can have a second chance and literally retrain for any job... But there are certain jobs in life, where if you get in trouble, you are no longer fit to do, and being a footballer is one of them.

No one is saying he shouldn't work again, but that doesn't mean he should play professionally again.
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 13:50 - Feb 8 with 2772 viewsSheffieldHoop

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 20:13 - Feb 5 by 1MoreBrightonR

Also, he can have a second chance and literally retrain for any job... But there are certain jobs in life, where if you get in trouble, you are no longer fit to do, and being a footballer is one of them.

No one is saying he shouldn't work again, but that doesn't mean he should play professionally again.

"he can have a second chance and literally retrain for any job"
No, he literally can't, and with good reason.

"But there are certain jobs in life, where if you get in trouble, you are no longer fit to do"
Yeah, that's what the DBS is for.

"being a footballer is one of them"
No, it's not. Not according to the DBS, or Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, anyway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60285409
Now saying we need an independent regulator to decide who can and can't play football.
I wonder if drop-kicking a cat across your kitchen is worth a ban?
For some reason, in the eyes of Val, I think it might be.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2022 13:55]

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 19:31 - Feb 8 with 2670 viewsthemodfather

something wrong in law when a serious charge can be bought off!
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 23:16 - Feb 8 with 2570 viewsCiderwithRsie

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 20:50 - Feb 3 by Tonto

I get peopel deserve a second chance. But to do so would require some sort of remorse, an apology, a promise to be a better person. It would appear that Goodwill has done no such thing.

Now I appreciate that doing so may imply some guilt and could render himself subject to prosecution? Not sure on the Scottish law position (which could be different than English law). But he could still come out and say something positive and show he has some conscience.

I think that's where I am too, but I'd add that football isn't a normal job.

If I do something bad, but regret it, serve my time and now am trying to rebuild my life in my job, that's one thing. No-one much needs to know unless the job itself is sensitive e.g. working with kids/vulnerable adults, or with money if it was a theft/fraud thing.

But if I do the same thing as a footballer, I'm parading in front of the fans each week. I'm likely to get grief from the opposition, which is a distraction for me and my team, and I'm asking the home fans to cheer me. You don't get either things in an ordinary job - I think it is asking a lot of fans that they actively support someone like that, in fact I think it'd be wrong for them to do so, and if they can't support the players then the club is letting them down.

The civil claim thing is doubly tricky because you can't even say he's served his time.
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 00:11 - Feb 9 with 2510 viewsBoston

You can't play professional football if you're in jail.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 10:21 - Feb 9 with 2382 viewsRBlock

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 17:13 - Feb 4 by PinnerPaul

No that's true, but again that's why he wasn't ever found guilty in a court of law - one man's word against another is never going to be "beyond all reasonable doubt"

A bit of pedantry here with regards the phrase 'court of law'. Family courts, immigration tribunals, employment tribunals, are all 'courts of law', but operate on the balance of probabilities. It's only the criminal courts that require proof "beyond reasonable doubt", or as is used today, "so that you are sure".
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 16:12 - Feb 9 with 2298 viewsPinnerPaul

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 10:21 - Feb 9 by RBlock

A bit of pedantry here with regards the phrase 'court of law'. Family courts, immigration tribunals, employment tribunals, are all 'courts of law', but operate on the balance of probabilities. It's only the criminal courts that require proof "beyond reasonable doubt", or as is used today, "so that you are sure".

I think its a bit more than pedantry - only with the highest burden of proof in a court of law can someone be sent to jail, which wasn't an option in this court, or those you mention.
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 18:20 - Feb 9 with 2208 viewskarl

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 16:31 - Feb 3 by E17hoop

He lost a civil case on the balance of probabilities, was "not an impressive witness" and has not shown any remorse.

His evidence was inconsistent - he could remember loads when it was about anyone else but "his recollection apparently faulty on matters possibly prejudicial to him". I strongly suggest reading the judgment to see just how much of a piece of shít he is. https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=d22e28a7-8980-69d2-b5

Raith Rovers got it wrong - their board debated signing him and decided not to and then the CEO ignored them and signed him anyway. They declared it was 'a football matter' as if a football club is just that. They dropped a bóllóck and have realised that some things are bigger than football.

I think there’s a slight difference on your piece E17, as far as I know it was passed by the directors of the club 4 votes to 2.
Val McDermid had spoken well before that she would pull out from the club as main sponsor if this came to pass and subsequently they ignored her and others. VM is quite often in the mainstream as a talking head on different issues but certainly those around womens equality so it was no surprise that she gained a lot of traction and backing.
When Clyde signed him the victim of the crime is very scathing in that there was no appetite to carry the same sentiments as now, indeed she particularly named Nicola Sturgeon as being one who has since joined her voice to the Raith Rovers situation who was silent although lobbied to get involved at the Clyde time of signing.
John McGlynn, the Raith Rovers manager, has been named as one who was keen to sign DG as he is undoubtedly a good footballer, it has to be noted that McGlynn worked at Hearts alongside sex offenders Graham Rix and Craig Thomson. It’s not a good look for his ethics tbh
David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 10:39 - Feb 10 with 2057 viewsSheffieldHoop

David Goodwillie Raith Rovers on 18:20 - Feb 9 by karl

I think there’s a slight difference on your piece E17, as far as I know it was passed by the directors of the club 4 votes to 2.
Val McDermid had spoken well before that she would pull out from the club as main sponsor if this came to pass and subsequently they ignored her and others. VM is quite often in the mainstream as a talking head on different issues but certainly those around womens equality so it was no surprise that she gained a lot of traction and backing.
When Clyde signed him the victim of the crime is very scathing in that there was no appetite to carry the same sentiments as now, indeed she particularly named Nicola Sturgeon as being one who has since joined her voice to the Raith Rovers situation who was silent although lobbied to get involved at the Clyde time of signing.
John McGlynn, the Raith Rovers manager, has been named as one who was keen to sign DG as he is undoubtedly a good footballer, it has to be noted that McGlynn worked at Hearts alongside sex offenders Graham Rix and Craig Thomson. It’s not a good look for his ethics tbh

Was Sturgeon not found to have also misled Scotland's highest civil court, in relation to Alex Salmond's sexual misconduct case last year?
She's still the first minister. A bit more important than playing Scottish Championship.
So if she's allowed a path to redemption, or even to just pretend it didn't happen, why shouldn't Goodwillie expect the same?

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024