Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are the EFL leagues to big? 12:36 - Oct 12 with 2789 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

The recent fixture congestion got me thinking that perhaps the EFL needs to look at reducing the size of the leagues. Surely reducing the leagues to 20 teams would improve the quality and make it a more attractive to TV companies?
Maybe have Championship, League 1 and then go back to the old League 2 North and South? Could incorporate some of the larger National League teams.
Thoughts?
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 13:00 - Oct 12 with 2319 viewsloftboy

Would rather have 4 leagues of 22, 3 up 3 down in every division .

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 13:02 - Oct 12 with 2312 viewsterryb

I'm in favour & IMO reducing to 20 clubs is logical, but I don't think you will get the clubs to agree to it for the following reasons:-

1) Four clubs would move to two steps below The Premier.

2) Eight clubs would move to three steps below The Premier

3) Clubs would lose income from four games & this would reduce ST prices as well.

4) IF you don't incorporate a fifth league, twelve clubs are relegated to The National League. That would not be acceptable to either league or clubs.

5) I'm fairly sure that clubs would prefer national divisions three & four rather than regionalised leagues. I base this on reports that I've previously seen on club responses to regionalisation.

I can't really see any changes to the constitution of the EFL, but I would certainly like to see it reviewed at least.
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 13:13 - Oct 12 with 2281 viewsstowmarketrange

Unfortunately for us,it seems like the championship has gone to a regional league mainly based up north this season.
I’ve never understood the reason why 4 teams are relegated from league 1 every season when all the divisions are the same now.Fair enough when the bottom 2 divisions were 24 teams each and the top 2 leagues had 22 clubs,but why continue that now?
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 13:18 - Oct 12 with 2255 viewsNW5Hoop

Another problem with an 80-team league of four divisions is 10 more teams to divide the TV money up between. I am pretty sure the broadcasters aren't going to be throwing more money to get fixtures between clubs who would be non-league under the current configuration.
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 13:23 - Oct 12 with 2234 viewssparkey

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 13:18 - Oct 12 by NW5Hoop

Another problem with an 80-team league of four divisions is 10 more teams to divide the TV money up between. I am pretty sure the broadcasters aren't going to be throwing more money to get fixtures between clubs who would be non-league under the current configuration.

There will be less teams, not more
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 13:43 - Oct 12 with 2152 viewsCamberleyR

I would make the Championship 20 teams same as the PL. I would keep L1 and L2 at 24 teams unfortunately meaning four teams lost from the FL.

It's a nonsense that the Championship plays 46 games, four more than the old Division Two used to. With 38 games, teams could prepare better without all these nonsense midweek away trips or three games in six days farces.

A long midweek trip up north for us takes two days out of the training schedule and they could also rest players properly which should lead to fewer muscle/hamstring injuries.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 13:56 - Oct 12 with 2110 viewstoboboly

I would play on international weekends in the Championship and below and if a player is called up you just deal with it.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 14:06 - Oct 12 with 2088 viewsstevec

46 games are perfectly manageable if teams are allowed to play during international breaks.

40 Saturdays in a season, that means 6 midweek games in essence. If you load your sides with internationals then you’ll have an advantage over the rest of the season so hardly room for complaint when your short of them for 4 games a season.

Get rid of League Cup, the cup nobody in the Championship wants to be involved in, problem solved.
Login to get fewer ads

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 15:08 - Oct 12 with 1997 viewsloftboy

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 13:23 - Oct 12 by sparkey

There would be more, the original poster is talking about the EFL not the PL

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 15:22 - Oct 12 with 1960 viewsDavieQPR

46 game seasons has usually been the norm for us. Teams only cancelled for international matches if they had a couple of players called up. It's the greed of the people that run the game introducing an extra cup and far more Internationals. World Cup tournaments chucked in mid season doesn't help anyone but the moneymen.
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 16:30 - Oct 12 with 1891 viewsloftus77

Agree with a lot of this - it all makes sense.
But your last para still has an emotional pull - even after 55 years. Our only real major trophy...
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 16:34 - Oct 12 with 1874 viewsNorthernr

Yes the leagues are too big. But you'd do well to get the teams to vote to reduce it, because whichever way you slice it you're either asking lots of them to vote to potentially become a non league team.
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 16:38 - Oct 12 with 1863 viewsToast_R

Would make sense especially with costs and logistics for lower league teams,

Championship 20 teams (3 promoted, 3 relegated)

League 1 - 20 teams (3 promoted, 4 relegated)

League 2 North 16 teams (2 promoted, 2 relegated) - Every team plays each other twice before bottom half and top half split and play each other again x 2 so 44 Matches in total.

League 2 South 16 teams Same as above

National League gets 4 promotions a season and so forth,
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 16:58 - Oct 12 with 1820 viewsNW5Hoop

OP: "Maybe have Championship, League 1 and then go back to the old League 2 North and South? Could incorporate some of the larger National League teams."

That's more teams, not fewer.
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 17:11 - Oct 12 with 1801 viewsstainrods_elbow

There will not be less teams, there will be fewer.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 17:22 - Oct 12 with 1793 viewsstevec

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 16:38 - Oct 12 by Toast_R

Would make sense especially with costs and logistics for lower league teams,

Championship 20 teams (3 promoted, 3 relegated)

League 1 - 20 teams (3 promoted, 4 relegated)

League 2 North 16 teams (2 promoted, 2 relegated) - Every team plays each other twice before bottom half and top half split and play each other again x 2 so 44 Matches in total.

League 2 South 16 teams Same as above

National League gets 4 promotions a season and so forth,

20 teams means 19 home games instead of 23.

Or anywhere between 20-25% extra on your ticket price to cover the loss.
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 17:37 - Oct 12 with 1771 viewsWatfordR

72 EFL teams, why not have 4 EFL leagues of 18 teams? On the minus side, obviously less income, but potentially one game a week, potentially more emphasis on training and improving the quality of players and the game.
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 17:40 - Oct 12 with 1765 viewsNorthLondonR

My English teacher always taught me to think of Luther Vandross when deciding 'to' or 'too' and you'll never go wrong
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 09:53 - Oct 13 with 1468 viewsdaveB

There was a move a few years back to change the EFL, championship to go down to 22 teams but it never got off the ground, was quickly voted down
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 10:03 - Oct 13 with 1462 viewsloftboy

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 16:34 - Oct 12 by Northernr

Yes the leagues are too big. But you'd do well to get the teams to vote to reduce it, because whichever way you slice it you're either asking lots of them to vote to potentially become a non league team.

It if you brought in an extra division including the top finishing sides from the national league, 4 leagues of 20 , that’s 38 games each and brings the professional leagues including the PL up to 100.

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 10:09 - Oct 13 with 1450 viewsNW5Hoop

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 10:03 - Oct 13 by loftboy

It if you brought in an extra division including the top finishing sides from the national league, 4 leagues of 20 , that’s 38 games each and brings the professional leagues including the PL up to 100.

That's still less money, because there are more clubs to divide the TV revenue around.
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 10:12 - Oct 13 with 1433 viewsTonto

in a single word - yes. the EFL is waaay too big.

but that is also a somewhat flippant answer. there is so much tradition, community blood sweat and tears, plus a whole lot more in some of those lower level teams. So who is it to can tell them "you're no longer in the league"?

now i know that the Conference/national league is pretty much an extension of the EFL now, and there are many many teams now playing down there, but until the day that the football finances are spread more evenly, it should probably stay as it is.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 10:42 - Oct 13 with 1373 viewsDannyPaddox

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 17:37 - Oct 12 by WatfordR

72 EFL teams, why not have 4 EFL leagues of 18 teams? On the minus side, obviously less income, but potentially one game a week, potentially more emphasis on training and improving the quality of players and the game.

Would the 5 leagues of 18 work if below the Championship there was a League 1 North & South and a League 2 North & South. Would the saving on travel for each club offset the costs of fewer league games?
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 10:53 - Oct 13 with 1342 viewsstowmarketrange

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 10:42 - Oct 13 by DannyPaddox

Would the 5 leagues of 18 work if below the Championship there was a League 1 North & South and a League 2 North & South. Would the saving on travel for each club offset the costs of fewer league games?

Sometimes the traveling for matches involving the Devon clubs would be worse from west to east than south to north.
Are the EFL leagues to big? on 16:14 - Oct 13 with 1221 viewsderbyhoop

Are the EFL leagues to big? on 13:56 - Oct 12 by toboboly

I would play on international weekends in the Championship and below and if a player is called up you just deal with it.

So QPR would have to play without
Dieng
Kakay
Paal
Chair
Roberts
Dykes
Armstrong

Are you sure you'd thought that through?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024