Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lauren James discussion at work. 15:23 - Aug 3 with 11160 viewsSnipper

Was just chatting to a couple of managers at work about the women’s World Cup, as they’d just showed Germany being knocked out on the news.

One of them was on about Lauren James, and how good she is. I said I’d heard about her being a good player, but I didn’t realise how good she was. I said she’s been brilliant so far.

Anyway, one of them said that she’s good enough to play for QPR. He was serious too.
I said she wouldn’t last 5 minutes playing men’s football. He was adamant that she would.

I said the time and space she gets in women’s football would be nullified within seconds, and she hasn’t got the physicality to play men’s football.

I said no woman would last in the men’s professional game.

He wouldn’t have it.
Lauren James discussion at work. on 15:27 - Aug 3 with 6808 viewsNorthernr

Love me a thread like this. Can basically tell you word for word how this is going to go over the next five pages, and exactly who's going to say what.
Lauren James discussion at work. on 15:30 - Aug 3 with 6797 viewssparkey

You're bang on. The two are nothing alike, and shouldn't be directly compared.

It is like tennis, Serena Williams has said she would not even win a point against Andy Murray, but womens tennis is fantastic to watch, especially due to long rallies.

My point is the the time womens is stopped being constantly pushed and compared to mens, the better it will be for the womens game.

(Disclaimer - i enjoy womens football & if this comes across poorly it isnt meant to)
[Post edited 3 Aug 2023 15:31]
Lauren James discussion at work. on 15:36 - Aug 3 with 6735 viewslightwaterhoop

It's a London Underground manager your talking about,Mark.Say no more!
Lauren James discussion at work. on 15:36 - Aug 3 with 6728 viewsEsox_Lucius

Having watched womens football over the years since the days of having womens short a side games before our matches at Loftus Road, my opinion is that the skills and technical ability has improved to the point of the top womens players are comparable to an undetermined level of the professional mens game. They have never, and will never match the men in physicality as the nature of the beast is that whilst women become more physical, so too will the men.
If you are to watch their games purely with an intent to compare them to the men you will always be disappointed IMO. There are very few sporting arenas where the women can compete with the men, darts and fishing jump to mind, so the best way to enjoy watching womens football is, IMO, to watch it on merit without comparisons.

The grass is always greener.

Lauren James discussion at work. on 15:40 - Aug 3 with 6691 viewssparkey

Lauren James discussion at work. on 15:36 - Aug 3 by Esox_Lucius

Having watched womens football over the years since the days of having womens short a side games before our matches at Loftus Road, my opinion is that the skills and technical ability has improved to the point of the top womens players are comparable to an undetermined level of the professional mens game. They have never, and will never match the men in physicality as the nature of the beast is that whilst women become more physical, so too will the men.
If you are to watch their games purely with an intent to compare them to the men you will always be disappointed IMO. There are very few sporting arenas where the women can compete with the men, darts and fishing jump to mind, so the best way to enjoy watching womens football is, IMO, to watch it on merit without comparisons.

This is how I meant to phrase my point. Should be praised as its own entity.
Lauren James discussion at work. on 15:41 - Aug 3 with 6673 viewsHayesender

I bet whoever said that has never been to a game of football in their life.

It's like trying to compare Flo Jo with Usain Bolt. Both wonderful sprinters, but Bolt would of smashed her every time without even trying

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Lauren James discussion at work. on 16:52 - Aug 3 with 6447 viewsToast_R

England have a bloody good run to the final now you'd think. Avoiding the USA, Spain, Netherlands and Japan. Only one of Australia and France stand in their way.

Has the hall marks of Bobby Robson at Italia 90. Were playing pretty dirge until an injury to a key player forces a change of formation and suddenly it clicks into gear.
Lauren James discussion at work. on 17:37 - Aug 3 with 6332 viewsSuperhoop83

Lauren James discussion at work. on 15:27 - Aug 3 by Northernr

Love me a thread like this. Can basically tell you word for word how this is going to go over the next five pages, and exactly who's going to say what.

All I will say is that I was a striker and if I had ever scored a volley like the one Laura James scored against China, I would still be banging on about it today. Sheer class.

Suffering since 1978.

Login to get fewer ads

Lauren James discussion at work. on 17:55 - Aug 3 with 6256 viewsBklynRanger

What position does she play? We've got about 6 that I'd happily give her a go at.
Lauren James discussion at work. on 17:57 - Aug 3 with 6252 viewsMatch82

It's a weird comparison but this world cup has reminded me more of top level mens football in the 90s than any level of mens football today.
Lauren James discussion at work. on 18:35 - Aug 3 with 6162 viewsBillericayR

I would sooner have Laura in the team than Dozzell....
Lauren James discussion at work. on 18:36 - Aug 3 with 6159 viewsMrSheen

Lauren James discussion at work. on 17:37 - Aug 3 by Superhoop83

All I will say is that I was a striker and if I had ever scored a volley like the one Laura James scored against China, I would still be banging on about it today. Sheer class.

Gives me a chance to tell you all about the time I volleyed a goal kick in back over the keeper’s head. Perhaps the greatest goal ever in Willesden Cubs.
Lauren James discussion at work. on 19:46 - Aug 3 with 5984 viewsdaveB

Shes comfortably better than a few of our players., we've got more than a few who can't cope with being closed down quickly or the physical side of the game
Lauren James discussion at work. on 20:22 - Aug 3 with 5905 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Lauren James discussion at work. on 15:27 - Aug 3 by Northernr

Can we see an abridged version of this please? It sounds hilarious!
(No subject) (n/t) on 20:22 - Aug 3 with 5903 viewsNed_Kennedys

Lauren James discussion at work. on 18:35 - Aug 3 by BillericayR

I would sooner have Laura in the team than Dozzell....

Forget Lauren James: I could think of a load of Lauras who I’d rather see in centre mid than Dozzell

[Post edited 3 Aug 2023 20:28]
Lauren James discussion at work. on 21:41 - Aug 3 with 5720 viewsnadera78

The USA women's team lost to an U15 boys club side.

That's not to denigrate the women's game, it's just to emphasise the sheer physical differences. There's not a woman player in the world who'd manage to play against the men.
Lauren James discussion at work. on 22:03 - Aug 3 with 5673 viewsqueensparker

The women’s game has come on absolutely miles since I went down and watched loads of top level games in the early 90s as part of my job at the time. Back then it was Sunday League level at best, with the brutal fouls to match mind you.

I’ve loved watching this World Cup, it reminds me of 80s/90s men’s football World Cups when there was still room and time for mavericks and skill and the game hadn’t been dominated by tedious mutual tactical chess and fitness drills. Top level men’s football generally bores the crap out of me these days, the nerds have won.
Lauren James discussion at work. on 22:05 - Aug 3 with 5664 viewsnumptydumpty

I self identify as a cat so this thread is not relevant in my world !!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Lauren James discussion at work. on 22:13 - Aug 3 with 5644 viewsslmrstid

I've watched the first two England games when time has allowed and enjoyed them.

You are spot on OP - women would not cope playing in the mens professional game at all. And thats not denigrating - they are two completely non-comparable sports.

Its exactly the same as to how all the best male runners, swimmers, tennis players etc are much faster and stronger than the best women - its pure genetics and how the two body types are composed.

Agree with another poster how constantly comparing it to men is unhelpful. They are all entertaining and talented sports people in their own right.

I think its possible to support womens sport, and know that it is not the same as mens sport, without being a sexist pig about it!
Lauren James discussion at work. on 22:17 - Aug 3 with 5630 viewsnumptydumpty

Noticed her play straight away and she is very strong and powerful runner and with a great deal of talent also.

Played a superb game no doubt

If she played in the mens game i think a lot of the male players would give her more time on the ball simply because she is of the fairer sex and they honestly would not like to go in for heavy challenges on her because it would be written about ad infinitum by a myriad of journalists and also likely to be mentioned by the odd fans football forum controller also !!!!

The one sport and it can barely be described as a sport in darts where I would personally feel that should not really be a difference in quality from men to women but so far only Fallon Sherrock has broken into the mens game and with limited success at the top level so far.

Remember in the late 70s and early 80s with me old dad watching the athletics grand prix racing european circuit and a certain Jarmilla Kratchvilova winning womens 800 metre races by incredible distances. She was a scary woman and as pre pubescent teen, I was a little terrified but even young Jarmilla - she still wasnt hitting the times that the men did , even then.

Love the womens game to watch, a great deal of skill, less dreadful challenges and very limited complaining and play acting.

But physically obviously no comparison. Fact of biological life !!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Lauren James discussion at work. on 22:26 - Aug 3 with 5604 viewsR_from_afar

"I said the time and space she gets in women’s football would be nullified within seconds".

If only I were confident that would be the case if she were playing against us. It might depend on the state of Taylor Richards' shoe laces

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Lauren James discussion at work. on 22:30 - Aug 3 with 5595 viewsdaveB

Lauren James discussion at work. on 21:41 - Aug 3 by nadera78

That's not to denigrate the women's game, it's just to emphasise the sheer physical differences. There's not a woman player in the world who'd manage to play against the men.

I'm not sure why we have to compare the two and can't just enjoy both. A female sprinter probably wouldn't beat a male one but both races are great to watch at the Olympics, same with tennis and cricket.
Lauren James discussion at work. on 22:40 - Aug 3 with 5578 viewsBklynRanger

Lauren James discussion at work. on 21:41 - Aug 3 by nadera78

Not the best time to be making that argument what with women's pain thresholds being higher.

I'd take a full season out of Lauren James over whatever our sicknotes have offered

And I still don't know anything about her tbh - I'm more of a Narcos Mexico man.
Lauren James discussion at work. on 22:50 - Aug 3 with 5555 viewsaston_hoop

Generational talent. In the future, Reece James will only ever be known as that injury prone lad who was Lauren James's brother.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Lauren James discussion at work. on 22:54 - Aug 3 with 5528 viewsRanger_Things

Lauren James discussion at work. on 22:13 - Aug 3 by slmrstid

I've watched the first two England games when time has allowed and enjoyed them.

You are spot on OP - women would not cope playing in the mens professional game at all. And thats not denigrating - they are two completely non-comparable sports.

Its exactly the same as to how all the best male runners, swimmers, tennis players etc are much faster and stronger than the best women - its pure genetics and how the two body types are composed.

Agree with another poster how constantly comparing it to men is unhelpful. They are all entertaining and talented sports people in their own right.

I think its possible to support womens sport, and know that it is not the same as mens sport, without being a sexist pig about it!

Yeah, I’ve never understood those who compare men’s sport to women’s. As long as it’s a sport I like and it’s competitive it’ll do for me. What’s funny is you don’t hear people saying light/middleweights are sht because they wouldn’t last a round with heavyweights in boxing, UFC, etc. Is amateur boxing or lower league football worthless because the standard is lower? We are dogsht at the moment but I’d still rather go to Rangers every week instead of supporting a Champions league team that would absolutely batter us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024