Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Les Ferdinand 07:51 - Aug 11 with 5720 viewsPunteR

A lot has been said of Ramsey this week,I just wondered what the general opinion is of Ferdinand. How do we think he's done so far in his first job as DOF.?
Ok results haven't gone our way but i think he's done well since coming to QPR.
Not sure how much he had to do with Redknapp going,but that was a good start. Players he's brought in have been impressive,Chery,Luongo,Gladwin especially. Giving Faurlin a one year extension was a good move. Gallen promoted to 1st team coach. Mackie.
Lots of positives. Whatever happens to Ramsey over the course of the season,I really hope Ferdinand stays on and continues to get the club back on track.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2015 8:50]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Les Ferdinand on 08:25 - Aug 11 with 2759 viewsToast_R

I'd like to see him become the manager if Ramsey continues to fall short.
Les Ferdinand on 08:35 - Aug 11 with 2723 viewsqprmeath

Its all about results. None of your positives will get a mention unless we win a few games. Ramsay will always be seen as Les's man.
Les Ferdinand on 08:52 - Aug 11 with 2597 viewsSpiritofGregory

Les Ferdinand on 08:25 - Aug 11 by Toast_R

I'd like to see him become the manager if Ramsey continues to fall short.

Yes, lets get someone else in with no experience. Les doesn't want to be manager he wants to sit in the directors box in his sharp suit.

The thing that concerns me with Les is that he has no experience of the role and wanted a coach instead of a manager. No self respecting talented manager with ambition wants to be a coach.
Les Ferdinand on 08:56 - Aug 11 with 2590 viewsDorse

I think Sir Les's appointment had a lot to do with Harry chucking his toys out of the pram (and doing a Captain Ahab with the deliberate timing of his exit).

Everything we've heard about regarding Les and his role seems positive. Despite the continual 'I knew him at Tottenham' bit, he seems to be trying to restore the spirit (?) of the club he played for whilst bringing it more up to date, working within the restrictions imposed.

The club is changing - slowly - and from what we've seen this pre-season Les is getting some things very right (Gallen, Luongo, Mackie) and others not so good (hiring that bunch of imbeciles to put our Italian adventure together).

I think we're moving in the right direction.

Party Comrade Dorse. Membership Number 6551833441. District B/xvii
[Post edited 11 Aug 2015 8:59]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Les Ferdinand on 08:59 - Aug 11 with 2578 viewsPunteR

Les Ferdinand on 08:52 - Aug 11 by SpiritofGregory

Yes, lets get someone else in with no experience. Les doesn't want to be manager he wants to sit in the directors box in his sharp suit.

The thing that concerns me with Les is that he has no experience of the role and wanted a coach instead of a manager. No self respecting talented manager with ambition wants to be a coach.

It's his first job. First.
Maclaren dropped from manager to coach. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Even Gerry Francis has dropped to coach.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Les Ferdinand on 09:01 - Aug 11 with 2533 viewssimmo

Les Ferdinand on 08:59 - Aug 11 by PunteR

It's his first job. First.
Maclaren dropped from manager to coach. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Even Gerry Francis has dropped to coach.

Pep Guardiola directly coaches his players.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Les Ferdinand on 09:09 - Aug 11 with 2497 viewsMetallica_Hoop

From what I've seen thus far I like the new direction we are taking. (just need a few results)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Les Ferdinand on 09:12 - Aug 11 with 2479 viewshopphoops

He's the first DoF I've had a bit of a man crush on.

Just one of those things you tick off as you make your way through life...

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Login to get fewer ads

Les Ferdinand on 09:13 - Aug 11 with 2471 viewsLblock

As Director of Football I just wonder if Sir Les (all hail him) has a file in his office with "Pre-Season Arrangements" marked on the spine?

Populous opinion is our poor start is down to the club not organising some thoroughly decent fixtures and this is the reason so called professional athletes are so badly out of condition.
If that is his remit then it's a fail

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Les Ferdinand on 09:36 - Aug 11 with 2409 viewsCamberleyR

Rafael Benitez: Head Coach of Real Madrid
Luis Enrique: Head Coach of Barcelona
Giovanni van Bronckhorst: Head Coach of Feyenoord
Pep Guardiola: Head Coach of Bayern Munich
Roberto Mancini: Head Coach of Inter Milan

Spotting a pattern here? I suppose none of them wants to be a coach neither?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Les Ferdinand on 09:37 - Aug 11 with 2402 viewskensalriser

Is the happy clappers thread?

So far this brand new world has delivered an amateurish pre-season, an unfit squad, a transfer farce and a 2-0 loss to a team looking to avoid relegation.

You're easily pleased.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Les Ferdinand on 09:38 - Aug 11 with 2393 viewsJamie

Les Ferdinand on 09:01 - Aug 11 by simmo

Pep Guardiola directly coaches his players.

Ssh you.

Confidence issue that Guardiola bloke clearly, wanting to get out on the training ground. That Ferguson guy too, coaching players into his 70s. No respect for himself.
Les Ferdinand on 09:42 - Aug 11 with 2380 viewsNorthernr

Les Ferdinand on 09:36 - Aug 11 by CamberleyR

Rafael Benitez: Head Coach of Real Madrid
Luis Enrique: Head Coach of Barcelona
Giovanni van Bronckhorst: Head Coach of Feyenoord
Pep Guardiola: Head Coach of Bayern Munich
Roberto Mancini: Head Coach of Inter Milan

Spotting a pattern here? I suppose none of them wants to be a coach neither?

No self respect that lot.
Les Ferdinand on 09:51 - Aug 11 with 2339 viewsrobith

Except that head coach is increasingly the role most clubs outside of those who survive with the talented few who can stick to the old model through the power of will/ego, offer.
Les Ferdinand on 09:55 - Aug 11 with 2327 viewsdaveB

Ferdinand has done well so far, he's basically just done what many have been screaming for QPR to do for years. Pre season looked good on paper but teams pulling out caused problems, no idea who was to blame for that but imagine Ferdinand will carry the can. Sadly i think he'll be gone with Ramsey when the cry for new blood gets loud, probably within a fortnight.
Les Ferdinand on 09:57 - Aug 11 with 2324 viewsadhoc_qpr

There's nothing wrong with the model we're trying to implement, the trouble is we're trying to force it too quickly and run before we can walk.

Plenty of clubs have head coaches with a DoF - but they tend to be hand picked for the job rather than simply given to the most senior coach left in the club. Then giving him a 3 year deal (regardless of poor results) without seeming to interview other applicants was a strange choice.

Similarly working to a budget is sensible, but you have to at least put together a squad that is balanced and competitive enough to survive. Pinching pennies now when already £200m in debt seems pointless compared to the cost of another relegation. If we want Bentley and Tim Ream go and get them, don't make half hearted low ball offers and then complain about prices. If we need money, then sell our assets.

Our youth team players have been in an underfunded and frankly low quality set up for years - we can't just expect a crop of Championship quality players because of a sudden change in philosophy 6 months ago.
Les Ferdinand on 10:15 - Aug 11 with 2273 viewsdaveB

Les Ferdinand on 09:57 - Aug 11 by adhoc_qpr

There's nothing wrong with the model we're trying to implement, the trouble is we're trying to force it too quickly and run before we can walk.

Plenty of clubs have head coaches with a DoF - but they tend to be hand picked for the job rather than simply given to the most senior coach left in the club. Then giving him a 3 year deal (regardless of poor results) without seeming to interview other applicants was a strange choice.

Similarly working to a budget is sensible, but you have to at least put together a squad that is balanced and competitive enough to survive. Pinching pennies now when already £200m in debt seems pointless compared to the cost of another relegation. If we want Bentley and Tim Ream go and get them, don't make half hearted low ball offers and then complain about prices. If we need money, then sell our assets.

Our youth team players have been in an underfunded and frankly low quality set up for years - we can't just expect a crop of Championship quality players because of a sudden change in philosophy 6 months ago.

I think they have put a competitive squad together and half the problem we've had is just agreeing to pay whatever for players so if clubs want too much for Ream and Bentley then fine we'll go and get someone else. We're trying to sell our assets but buying clubs will wait as long as possible to get him a lot cheaper.

You have to start somewhere so we either try and force it through now or wait a few years and try it when we're in an even worse state
Les Ferdinand on 10:22 - Aug 11 with 2244 viewsPhildo

Since when has possesion of a suit been an offence. Are you Geoffrey Boycott because you seem to bring out a similar reaction in me when i read your musings,
Les Ferdinand on 10:38 - Aug 11 with 2167 viewsAntti_Heinola

Les Ferdinand on 09:37 - Aug 11 by kensalriser

Is the happy clappers thread?

So far this brand new world has delivered an amateurish pre-season, an unfit squad, a transfer farce and a 2-0 loss to a team looking to avoid relegation.

You're easily pleased.

It's not about happy clapping it's about realism and not jumping off the deep end every time we lose a game.
As I've said several times on here, I don't think some fans have the first clue what a hige job it was this summer. Pre-season was a shambles, yes. But we were all really happy with the pre-season games until clubs started pulling out. Clearly, the company the club used were awful. Hopefully lessons learned.
I'm not sure the squad are that unfit. Austin looked unfit, but apart from that I didn't see too many fitness issues on Saturday.

Bare bones.

Les Ferdinand on 10:39 - Aug 11 with 2161 viewsAntti_Heinola

Les Ferdinand on 09:57 - Aug 11 by adhoc_qpr

Pinching pennies?

Give me strength.

Bare bones.

Les Ferdinand on 10:42 - Aug 11 with 2141 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Not sure about Les - too early to call
Whoever planned the pre season clearly stuffed up - was this Les? Beard?

Our defence is still a mess

We need a defensive coach - where is Gerry Francis?
We should get him in asap

Perhaps the forwards need a coach too? Maybe Clive Allen?

Anyway too early to call

Not sure why we never brought Kevin Gallen back to the club as a scout (he has now joined MK Dons)
Les Ferdinand on 10:52 - Aug 11 with 2102 viewsNW10Hoop

I think Les' stock is still pretty high amongst Rs fans. Since he's come back to the club there have been clear strides towards rebuilding our reputation and changing the way we conduct oourselves in the transfer market.

I can see it being a sticky period if he has to sack Ramsey, I think they are genuinely good mates so that may be hard.

Heart over head - I can definitely see him in our dugout, celebrating our 21 pass 3rd goal in a 3-nil win over Chelsea.
Les Ferdinand on 10:58 - Aug 11 with 2067 viewsBluce_Ree

Right now no-one in the managerial structure is convincing me. Is what it is though. Not every team can be good.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Les Ferdinand on 11:06 - Aug 11 with 2037 viewsSomersetHoops

I've expressed concern about the things that have gone wrong that Les MAY have had a hand in, but I am aware of the good things that have happened under his tenure. I fear some of the things that have gone wrong are again the result of TF making bad decisions and saying the wrong things, but we will probably never know until the biographies come out years in the future.

It would be a big mistake to even think about getting rid of Les. He has focussed on qualifying for a DOF role and is probably better qualified for it than many holding that position. Its clear to see the good things he has done from helping to ease Redknapp out to the player acquisitions he has overseen. His experience of football home and abroad at several clubs from the lowest to the highest level is much more than most have and IF he has made a couple of organisational errors we can allow him that as I'm sure he will learn from and not repeat them. He is the best link we have from a time when QPR were a club to be proud of and I hope he can continue the very hard job of returning QPR to its rightful position.

Who's Next?

Les Ferdinand on 11:21 - Aug 11 with 1993 viewsrsonist

Said this earlier in the summer but compared to most other DoF set-ups Les is so involved and delegates so little that in some respects he effectively already is the manager. Ramsey was selected for being a known quantity (presumably with some belief in that quality too) at a time when everything is in the air. It's Les' vision and he didn't want a new voice. You could almost see Ramsey as his Kevin Bond if you wanted to be harsh.

I wonder what the real story was with approaching Gerry, and what the stumbling block might have been. Not really the sort of sensational exclusive someone would make up to sell papers is it?

As adhoc says there's a lot about the current situation that seems contradictory, that isn't clear to us in terms of what the strategy is and who is driving it. (I'll be very interested to learn more about Lee Hoos' role in particular). Up until we signed Chery it looked like it made sense - we were restructuring with purpose with enough leeway to be able to haggle for the extra £4-5m total we wanted from the Austin and Phillips bidders. Then all of a sudden it was tightened belts, stopgap signings and nothing doing until sales went through. Do we need the money or not? And do we need it for the squad or for the FFP fine - because how will we even begin to adequately replace Austin and Phillips if we sell them last minute? Why have we hit the brakes just when time is running out?
[Post edited 11 Aug 2015 11:22]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024