Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
There’s only one Jamie Mackie 09:57 - Jul 28 with 2105 viewsPippo1982

Good morning guys, first time poster here. I’ve been a long-term reader and although haven’t posted before, I wanted to share this.

I’m on holiday at the moment in Sorrento and on our first day here, we settle down at a bar on the beach. I look to my left and I see who I thought, looked like Jamie Mackie, with his wife and another couple, clinking glasses, a few tables away. I wouldn’t usually bother someone famous or recognisable but he’s a Rangers legend and has just retired, so I wanted to at least wish him well. Either that, or I’d be embarrassing myself in front of a few strangers. Turns out, there really is only one Jamie Mackie and I ended up having a 20 minute chat with him about all things Rangers and his plans for the future. I went back to my table where a few minutes later, the waitress brought over two beers, pointed at his table and said it was from them. I looked over at his table to nod and mouth a thanks and he’s already looking across with a thumbs up.

Before I left, I went over again to say thanks (for the beers and for his services to Rangers) and ended up chatting for another 10 minutes.

He couldn’t have been more friendly and genuine and seemed touched by the fact I’d come over.

I didn’t ask anything controversial about his time at the club but he mentioned that he’s still good friends with Barton, Derry, Taarabt, Hill, Hall and Helguson. He also said Taarabt was a nutcase (which we all knew!) I mentioned that I was a season ticket holder and asked if he would come back to Rangers in some capacity and he said that now that he’s retired he’ll be there every week watching the team and that out of all the clubs he played for, Rangers mean the most to him.

His friends and wife were also very welcoming and talkative. His mate was also an ex-pro called Jamal - he used to play for Crystal Palace and Swansea (where he played with Angel Rangel) and now looks after a couple of Rangers players, I presume, as an agent.

I might be coming across as a bit of a “fanboy” with this post but at a time like this where the news seems to be about negative stories, I thought I’d share a positive one.
There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 10:07 - Jul 28 with 2073 viewsfrancisbowles

Thanks for sharing Pippo. No surprises really but good to hear he plans to come back and watch us.
There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 10:09 - Jul 28 with 2060 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Great story.

Great place as well. We had ten days there and found it a great place to visit the amalfi coast, Herculaneum, Pompei etc. Great food and stunning scenery. Enjoy.
There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 11:13 - Jul 28 with 1937 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Welcome aboard, Pippo. Cracking story!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 12:00 - Jul 28 with 1842 viewsGloucs_R

Nice story. Mackie always comes across well.

Poll: Are we staying up?

There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 13:29 - Jul 28 with 1722 viewstimcocking

What a brilliant first post, very pleasing to read.
There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 14:05 - Jul 28 with 1692 viewsqpr_1968

excellent post pip.....welcome aboard.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 16:00 - Jul 28 with 1587 viewsMoonshineSteve

Nice one. Hello.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 16:17 - Jul 28 with 1544 viewsColombiR

Have I dreamed it, or is Sorrento not where Warnock took the squad for a pre-promotion season "training camp" that ended up being an hour of football and an team-bonding jolly while Neil and Sharon had themselves a nice holiday?

Maybe Mr Mackie liked it so much he goes back regularly?
Login to get fewer ads

There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 16:45 - Jul 28 with 1491 viewsflynnbo

There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 16:17 - Jul 28 by ColombiR

Have I dreamed it, or is Sorrento not where Warnock took the squad for a pre-promotion season "training camp" that ended up being an hour of football and an team-bonding jolly while Neil and Sharon had themselves a nice holiday?

More like St Austell than Sorrento with our Neil
Currently 21 likes for a first post is mightily impressive; he might as well retire from LFW now!
[Post edited 28 Jul 2020 16:47]
There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 16:46 - Jul 28 with 1488 viewsdanehoop

Thought that was either the Waddock or Holloway tours?

Never knowingly understood

There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 17:21 - Jul 28 with 1430 viewsstevec

Nice post and great choice of place for a holiday. Still wearing a pair of trainers I bought there 15 years ago.

Not a lot of people know that.
There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 17:58 - Jul 28 with 1341 viewsBklynRanger

I remember Rednapp getting very defensive about how that year's training camp hadn't been 'a jolly up' - not that anyone had actually used those words, before he decided to use them at least 5 times. Can still see his jowls shaking with righteous indignation. Not sure if it was Sorrento or not.

Welcome Pippo anyway, you're right, nice to hear about that sort of thing at the minute. Will put you down as a nice sharp parmesan.
There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 01:28 - Jul 30 with 1083 viewsW7Ranger

Great post fella.

I didn't think it was possible to have any more of a man crush on Mackie than I've had since 2010!!
There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 01:55 - Jul 30 with 1066 viewstimcocking

There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 01:58 - Jul 30 with 1070 viewsSharpy36

5 jamie Mackies, 5 Gareth ainsworths and a Paddy kenny, led by a Ian holloway. Wouldn`t win much,but by christ, you`d happly pay to watch it.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 07:02 - Jul 30 with 1038 viewsLblock

This is why the man had a banner made for him after the sewer rat broke his leg..... just a little thing to give him support.

I spoke to JM for about 8 minutes once and straight away he came across as a top fella. Only had that once before when talking to a player and that was the Right Honourable Paul Furlong.

Some may look at Jamie and not see a Rangers legend but he certainly is to me

Thanks for sharing that story but what cheese were you eating on holiday???

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 07:38 - Jul 30 with 1003 viewsParkRoyalR

There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 07:02 - Jul 30 by Lblock

This is why the man had a banner made for him after the sewer rat broke his leg..... just a little thing to give him support.

I spoke to JM for about 8 minutes once and straight away he came across as a top fella. Only had that once before when talking to a player and that was the Right Honourable Paul Furlong.

My lad did a kids get together or half term camp about 15 years ago and Paul Furlong was'nt even meant to be hosting and he was the player he came back talking about, said he made a real effort with all the boys and made it a great day - both Mackie + Furlong epitome of what should be a Rangers Legend - always gave the club + fans 100% effort + respect.
There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 07:42 - Jul 30 with 996 viewsdistortR

There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 07:02 - Jul 30 by Lblock

i'll add Simon Barker to your list.
There’s only one Jamie Mackie on 08:37 - Jul 30 with 926 viewsHunterhoop

Paul Furlong is a legend. One of my all time favourite players. So glad he remains involved in the club in a coaching capacity. He was the perfect all round centre forward, certainly for this level.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024