Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal 14:17 - Feb 18 with 3558 viewsstoweboy

Last night when Keane pinged the long diagonal across to Wallace for the winning goal
Charlie was just in front of Keane hugging the touch line , now I know it’s his job and it is what he is supposed to do , ( but who would have thought how well Wallace would do ) but I think Charlie done what not a lot of strikers do especially at this level , but he gambled , he was on the front foot , he attacked the space , coasted past the left back , not picked up by the centre halve nor covered by the CDM , all very simple and straightforward but how many players would have busted a gut to come in from the wing , how many players would have just gone to the edge of the box to maybe pick up a clearance . Just all about movement , how nice to see a player pro-active rather than re-active . Thank you Charlie & the team for as all waking up smiling this morning .
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 14:25 - Feb 18 with 2825 viewsbosh67

His movement is intuitive. He anticipates and gambles as to where the ball will be. That sets him apart from our other strikers at the moment because he seems to have the ability to slow down time in his head and think one step ahead. It's a real art.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 14:35 - Feb 18 with 2794 viewsMyke

I loved his movement AFTER the goal - the boy can still run!
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 14:45 - Feb 18 with 2743 viewsMedwayR

I noticed more his movement for the first goal, as soon as the initial cross goes over him he straight away moved into position for the second cross which came his way and caused the confusion in Brentford's defence leading to Field's goal.

Poll: Who’s better?

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 14:49 - Feb 18 with 2726 viewsNoelmc

On re-watching, noticed for the first goal that Charlie cleared the Brentford corner to Willock. Then raced down the other end to challenge twice for the Wallace & Kane crosses which led to the weak defensive header and Field’s goal. He is certainly putting in a shift for us!
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 15:35 - Feb 18 with 2595 viewsjoe90

It's that movement that makes him such a great striker.
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 16:41 - Feb 18 with 2440 viewsrsonist

I keep trying to pay attention but Kane and Wallace turning into Cafu and Roberto Carlos melts my brain every time.
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 16:41 - Feb 18 with 2439 viewsAntti_Heinola

you'll get pundits like Jamie Redknapp saying 'that's natural' or 'you can't coach that'.

I say balls. Charlie's like that because he has worked hard over his game over a lifetime. Even he might say he doesn't know how he gets where he does, but that's all about the reading of the game that you do without thinking.

Bare bones.

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 16:49 - Feb 18 with 2402 viewsRog

Which is why we said it would be great if he scored 10 before the end of the season. And he's ahead of that target.
Login to get fewer ads

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 16:51 - Feb 18 with 2390 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 16:41 - Feb 18 by Antti_Heinola

you'll get pundits like Jamie Redknapp saying 'that's natural' or 'you can't coach that'.

I say balls. Charlie's like that because he has worked hard over his game over a lifetime. Even he might say he doesn't know how he gets where he does, but that's all about the reading of the game that you do without thinking.

Yep. A pet hate of mine, that phrase. Positioning comes through years of hard work as it does for goalies or centre-backs.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 17:19 - Feb 18 with 2313 viewsLeedsR

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 16:51 - Feb 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Yep. A pet hate of mine, that phrase. Positioning comes through years of hard work as it does for goalies or centre-backs.

I agree with you to a point and by that I’m not for one moment saying that Charlie hasn’t worked hard to perfect his craft. I think it’s a combination of the hard work and training, with the natural instinct/talent. You can only work with what you’ve got.

Of course hard work and practice will undoubtedly have a strong influence, but it will influence what’s already there.

I always think that good strikers always have the goalscorer’s instinct. The instinct to be in the right place at the right time, to always know where the goal is, and the quality to execute effectively.

Injuries will take their toll, and pace will diminish with age, but a quality striker never loses their instinct. They’ll make adjustments as they get older.

Conor Washington, bless his cottons, worked them off, but never had the instinct Charlie has. Jamie Mackie on the other hand, and this is not to disrespect him, was the archetypal overachiever. He got many of his goals through sheer bloody minded ness, as well as the quality to finish them off, but you wouldn’t say he was the same as Charlie, who I’d put as a “natural” goal scorer. Again not meaning to say he doesn’t work hard tho.

I hope I’m making sense!!! I know what I’m trying to say!!!
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 17:26 - Feb 18 with 2266 viewsPinnerPaul

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 16:41 - Feb 18 by Antti_Heinola

Yep, I've heard him say broadly similar in one of his (many) interviews!
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 17:29 - Feb 18 with 2254 viewsPinnerPaul

On a side note re 'hard work'.

It was interesting to hear Alan Shearer say how he used to practice pens.

He would see which way oppo GK usually dived before a game.

Then he would instruct GK at training to dive that way and he would try to score from pen spot by shooting that way as well.
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 17:31 - Feb 18 with 2249 viewsted_hendrix

Said this before about his game--he can bloody well defend corners and free kicks for us, watch him when you next get the chance.

Bit sad this but I noticed Chris Sutton used to be good at that too. (defending).

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 17:33 - Feb 18 with 2243 viewsW6R

And he played all 96 minutes as well.
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 17:35 - Feb 18 with 2235 viewssimmo

I do agree, but I also think there's a certain amount of instinct some players just have and then build on. Chaz has been that kind of striker all his career so it's not age/experience that's given him this level of movement.

There's all kinds of players that have come through academies or not that just seem to know when to check, where to drift, when to commit. I definitely think it's an attribute that comes more naturally to some and with work can put you above those that have to work at it

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 18:06 - Feb 18 with 2165 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 17:35 - Feb 18 by simmo

I do agree, but I also think there's a certain amount of instinct some players just have and then build on. Chaz has been that kind of striker all his career so it's not age/experience that's given him this level of movement.

There's all kinds of players that have come through academies or not that just seem to know when to check, where to drift, when to commit. I definitely think it's an attribute that comes more naturally to some and with work can put you above those that have to work at it

Fair point, there's a certain amount of game intelligence too I suppose.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 18:07 - Feb 18 with 2151 viewsbakerloo8

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 17:35 - Feb 18 by simmo

Some people are natural goalscorers, a crave of goals that becomes almost subliminal. Knowing over time what positions to be in to maximise their chances of scoring which is their drug. Austin is one of these. Lives for goals.
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 18:16 - Feb 18 with 2126 viewsLongsufferingR

Absolutely. My special spot on the sofa can only be grabbed regularly as a result of years of subterfuge and physical beatings finally sank in with the kids
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 18:48 - Feb 18 with 2087 viewsrsonist

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 17:31 - Feb 18 by ted_hendrix

Said this before about his game--he can bloody well defend corners and free kicks for us, watch him when you next get the chance.

Bit sad this but I noticed Chris Sutton used to be good at that too. (defending).

Bit more than a useful sideline in Sutton's case, he excelled playing at centre back several times.
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 18:59 - Feb 18 with 2072 viewsNorthernr

Matt Smith used to be a very good defender of corners as well, partly because he's ginormous but not only that.
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 19:11 - Feb 18 with 2048 viewsCamberleyR

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 18:48 - Feb 18 by rsonist

Bit more than a useful sideline in Sutton's case, he excelled playing at centre back several times.

He started out at centre-back at Norwich didn't he?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 20:27 - Feb 18 with 1901 viewsNoelmc

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 18:59 - Feb 18 by Northernr

Matt Smith used to be a very good defender of corners as well, partly because he's ginormous but not only that.

Furlong (Snr) was excellent when he came back to defend corners too.
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 21:50 - Feb 18 with 1781 viewsjoolsyp

He's the Wayne Gretzky of footie - skates not to where the ball is or has been but where it's going to be ...
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 21:52]
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 13:29 - Feb 19 with 1459 viewstimcocking

Thank you Santa for bringing us back our Charlie, we love him very much...
Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 13:51 - Feb 19 with 1418 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Charlie’s Movement for the winning goal on 19:11 - Feb 18 by CamberleyR

He started out at centre-back at Norwich didn't he?

Yes I think he did. Also there was Paul Warhurst and I was just reading about Dimitar Berbatov. Apparently he played one game for Man Utd in defence and was like Baresi, Maldini and Beckenbauer all in one.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024