Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could we become another leicester. 21:47 - May 15 with 2511 viewsqpr_1968

loved what they done today, and in the last 6 years, taking the premier by the b...ll..ks and commanding a good bit of respect.

never impossible i suppose, but what would it take?
the tinkerman started it, and with new management its continued.

come on warbs, you know you can do it.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Could we become another leicester. on 22:21 - May 15 with 2423 viewsstowmarketrange

It will never happen in our neck of the woods again.We play in a city that has multiple teams playing in it,and we are only a small part of those teams that play there.
Leicester have a much bigger catchment area than us,and always will have.If you live in Leicestershire,why would you support anyone else?
Could we become another leicester. on 22:29 - May 15 with 2394 viewsqprxtc

Not until Joe Waters is sacrificed with two foxes, Barry Davies and a boot arsed cat.
[Post edited 15 May 2021 22:30]
Could we become another leicester. on 22:35 - May 15 with 2387 viewsCiderwithRsie

It'd need a shedload of cash.

I love what they've done and obviously they've spent much less than the Super League t*ssers, but it's a bit of a myth that it's all been done on a shoe-string.
Could we become another leicester. on 23:32 - May 15 with 2272 viewsdistortR

Could we become another leicester. on 22:35 - May 15 by CiderwithRsie

It'd need a shedload of cash.

I love what they've done and obviously they've spent much less than the Super League t*ssers, but it's a bit of a myth that it's all been done on a shoe-string.

yeah, would be helpful if we could build a new stadium, go into administration, pay pennies in the pound, get new owners and come out flying.
Could we become another leicester. on 14:05 - May 17 with 1869 viewsderbyhoop

Could we become another leicester. on 22:21 - May 15 by stowmarketrange

It will never happen in our neck of the woods again.We play in a city that has multiple teams playing in it,and we are only a small part of those teams that play there.
Leicester have a much bigger catchment area than us,and always will have.If you live in Leicestershire,why would you support anyone else?

It's possible. But we would need years of consistent progress, a new stadium holding 30K+, and Fulham, Brentford and that other mob to implode.
Catchment area is, potentially, all of NW London and beyond.

We've been top London club before. Why not again?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Could we become another leicester. on 14:25 - May 17 with 1817 viewsTonto

In the next 10nyears I doubt it. We could do something similar to Burnley or Palace and become a fixture in the Premiership but it would take some over performing g several years ina row to be Leicester.

The article on Brentford and their stats usage (its on another thread) shows how difficult it is. There would be a real risk we do what we did last time and set us back a decade if it goes wrong.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Could we become another leicester. on 14:45 - May 17 with 1757 viewsslmrstid

Could we become another leicester. on 22:21 - May 15 by stowmarketrange

This is a proper one club county. After Leicester City, the next highest ranked Leicestershire clubs in the pyramid system are Coalville Town, and Barwell, both in the Southern League Premier Division Central. A full 6 leagues below Leicester City.
Could we become another leicester. on 14:59 - May 17 with 1743 viewsaston_hoop

I'm pleased for Leicester, got quite a few Leicester supporting mates from my time studying in Birmingham as it seemed half of Leicester also go there to study. They basically already won football, a league win from nowhere and a European campaign. Everything else now is a bonus and I know they are loving it.
[Post edited 17 May 2021 14:59]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Login to get fewer ads

Could we become another leicester. on 15:01 - May 17 with 1734 viewskensalriser

No. We had our chances and blew them.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Could we become another leicester. on 15:19 - May 17 with 1687 viewsfrancisbowles

Although often controversial Leicester's revival was started by Nigel Pearson. Initially he got them up as League One Champions in 2009 (IIRC). Then after an unsuccessful playoff attempt he left the club. He returned for a second spell and had another play off attempt before finally getting them up as Champions in 2014. Then despite being bottom at Christmas he kept them in the top division in 2015.

Still on Leicester, Lee Hoos was involved there from 2008-11 after leaving Southampton and prior to joining Burnley as CE. from 2011-15. Presumably some of his appointments were a step up the career ladder but does actually anyone know why he left his previous jobs? Now been with us for six years and hoping he is not looking to move on again.
Could we become another leicester. on 15:27 - May 17 with 1656 viewsJuzzie

Indeed. We cheated and messed it up. They cheated and succeeded.

Though Leicester not just being a one-club city they are also a one-club county (as mentioned above).

Really helps, a lot.

People say "yeah well, London has a higher population density etc etc". Yes, but not every one of those people are interested in football and those that do are non-indigenous and want to to watch Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. How many think "ooooh, I really fancy going to see Leyton Orient"? Those 'fans' would only go to to see a club in the PL and as most grounds sell-out anyway it doesn't really matter what the demographic of the fan is.

Then you add onto that the fact we're are still at LR and miles away from a new 25k+ ground.

So, no, unfortunately I don't see us becoming another Leicester. We had our chance long before it's become impossible to do so to get the domestic treble but unfortunately just missed out on two of the three.
Could we become another leicester. on 15:31 - May 17 with 1645 viewsBerkoRanger

Could we become another leicester. on 14:05 - May 17 by derbyhoop

It's possible. But we would need years of consistent progress, a new stadium holding 30K+, and Fulham, Brentford and that other mob to implode.
Catchment area is, potentially, all of NW London and beyond.

We've been top London club before. Why not again?

Why not, indeed.
Could we become another leicester. on 15:34 - May 17 with 1637 viewsMick_S

Could we become another leicester. on 14:45 - May 17 by slmrstid

This is a proper one club county. After Leicester City, the next highest ranked Leicestershire clubs in the pyramid system are Coalville Town, and Barwell, both in the Southern League Premier Division Central. A full 6 leagues below Leicester City.

My son goes to college in Coalville. How interesting is that????

He reckons there are people there that have never left the town. Banjo city.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Could we become another leicester. on 15:40 - May 17 with 1609 viewsBoston

Could we become another leicester. on 15:34 - May 17 by Mick_S

Studying mining is he?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Could we become another leicester. on 15:48 - May 17 with 1586 viewsMick_S

Could we become another leicester. on 15:40 - May 17 by Boston

Studying mining is he?

Very good, Bos. Snibston Colliery is still there.

https://images.app.goo.gl/1BujYrELJsQgHX3Y8

Could we become another leicester. on 15:52 - May 17 with 1581 viewsslmrstid

Could we become another leicester. on 15:34 - May 17 by Mick_S

I can well believe that, North-West Leicestershire is a bit yokelly.

I've lived in Leicester since 2013 now. Between 2013 and 2016 I worked in Hinckley. Tiny market town between Leicester and Coventry, right on the border of Warwickshire. The A5 goes through one edge of it, one side of it is Hinckley and Leicestershire, the other side of the A5 is Nuneaton and Warwickshire.

There were people in Hinckley I worked with who'd been born there, lived all their life there, had no intention of ever leaving there. One girl I worked with considered a day shopping in Tamworth with her mum as a day out.

Really odd place.
Could we become another leicester. on 16:21 - May 17 with 1555 viewsMick_S

Could we become another leicester. on 15:52 - May 17 by slmrstid

I can well believe that, North-West Leicestershire is a bit yokelly.

I've lived in Leicester since 2013 now. Between 2013 and 2016 I worked in Hinckley. Tiny market town between Leicester and Coventry, right on the border of Warwickshire. The A5 goes through one edge of it, one side of it is Hinckley and Leicestershire, the other side of the A5 is Nuneaton and Warwickshire.

There were people in Hinckley I worked with who'd been born there, lived all their life there, had no intention of ever leaving there. One girl I worked with considered a day shopping in Tamworth with her mum as a day out.

Really odd place.

Pre Covid, the deal was that all the apprentices would lodge in their groups in local houses. The owners got something like £35 per lodger, per day and were doing very nicely on a weekly basis, when they were occupied. The £35 included a room and dinner. The boys all ended up in The Premier Inn.

Could we become another leicester. on 16:55 - May 17 with 1510 viewsngbqpr

I'm sure we'll have another run in the Prem at some point. As well as our own (ahem) 'golden eras' in the top flight, the likes of Fulham, Charlton, Palace and even Wimbledon have all enjoyed decent spells there in living memory. Brentford may be about to get their turn.

However, with Arsenal & Tottenham unlikely to drop away any time soon, Abramovich's dirty money, and West Ham's dodgy cheap stadium deal, it's hard to see a fifth London club breaking the glass ceiling into the real big time for a sustained period.

Something akin to Fulham's European run under Hodgson is probably the height of ambition for the likes of us.

Everton, Villa, Leeds, Newcastle all better positioned to 'do a Leicester' if they can manage to get that on & off field balance just right - equally, they're all just one badly managed season away from relegation (likewise WHU, and even Leicester).

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Could we become another leicester. on 17:02 - May 17 with 1495 viewsPinnerPaul

Could we become another leicester. on 16:55 - May 17 by ngbqpr

I'm sure we'll have another run in the Prem at some point. As well as our own (ahem) 'golden eras' in the top flight, the likes of Fulham, Charlton, Palace and even Wimbledon have all enjoyed decent spells there in living memory. Brentford may be about to get their turn.

However, with Arsenal & Tottenham unlikely to drop away any time soon, Abramovich's dirty money, and West Ham's dodgy cheap stadium deal, it's hard to see a fifth London club breaking the glass ceiling into the real big time for a sustained period.

Something akin to Fulham's European run under Hodgson is probably the height of ambition for the likes of us.

Everton, Villa, Leeds, Newcastle all better positioned to 'do a Leicester' if they can manage to get that on & off field balance just right - equally, they're all just one badly managed season away from relegation (likewise WHU, and even Leicester).

You can add Wolves and Burnley to that list - both had poor seasons after good 19/20 ones.
Could we become another leicester. on 17:12 - May 17 with 1472 viewsslmrstid

Could we become another leicester. on 17:02 - May 17 by PinnerPaul

You can add Wolves and Burnley to that list - both had poor seasons after good 19/20 ones.

Football is cyclical, all clubs outside the top 5-6 maybe in the country will rotate their way up and down the top divisions. Just think of some top flight mainstays of the 90s/00s who are now rattling around the Championship or lower....Middlesbrough, Sheffield Wednesday, Bolton, Blackburn, Forest, it took Leeds such a long time to get back up, Sunderland will be a while I think. Wimbledon as mentioned previously.

Wolves, Burnley, Brighton, Palace...all those clubs will come back down again eventually at some point. And hopefully we'll have a long run at it again!
Could we become another leicester. on 17:55 - May 17 with 1417 viewsbarbicanranger

Not sure about another Leicester as what they have achieved is pretty amazing when you think about it particularly as many of the players there when they got out of the C'ship have been central to achievements at a higher level - Vardy, Morgan, Schmeichel, etc.

That said I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about the way our club operates these days and that mounting a challenge at the right end of the championship with an organically assembled side is a possibility. It seems like our owners have got more savvy and learned a lot about how to do things these last 10 years.
Could we become another leicester. on 18:09 - May 17 with 1383 viewsPinnerPaul

I think what Clive said a few weeks back is so true.

Keep doing the 'right things' and you give yourself a chance of achieving success, keep doing the 'wrong things' and it will come back to bite you.

Hopefully we are, and will continue to, do enough things right to be rewarded.
Could we become another leicester. on 19:01 - May 17 with 1308 viewsrsonist

Yeah to echo the above couple posts, you can't really talk about "becoming" another Leicester as though the stars didn't miraculously align for them and all their success came from careful planning. The ceiling-less longevity of Schmeichel and Vardy is another important but unforseeable factor.

Either side of a post-title period where they spaffed the entire £120m-ish they made from the win and CL run on players you can't remember and where Puel wasn't the right man you can point to excellent player trading however. There definitely was a moment where if they didn't get the next six months right in manager hire and summer buys then disintegration was a real possibility.

As with Liverpool's renaissance if you can sell big and buy right and repeat the trick without making a mistake several years in a row you'll be onto a good thing. Shocker!
Could we become another leicester. on 19:45 - May 17 with 1237 viewsStanisgod

Could we become another leicester. on 23:32 - May 15 by distortR

yeah, would be helpful if we could build a new stadium, go into administration, pay pennies in the pound, get new owners and come out flying.

Yeah, people forget too easy.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Could we become another leicester. on 20:40 - May 17 with 1122 viewsWegerles_Stairs

I get the impression that their owner was a bit brighter than ours.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024