Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread 07:33 - Jul 2 with 12354 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 09:31 - Jul 2 with 2511 viewsW7Ranger

Well it was it was fun while it lasted I suppose...
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 09:53 - Jul 2 with 2486 views80s_Boy

Wish we were playing Sweden who we know well and wouldn't have the complete unknown factor Ukraine come with.

Think we'll win but it could be very tight and I think we may have to come from behind to do so.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 10:03 - Jul 2 with 2470 viewsrsonist

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 09:53 - Jul 2 by 80s_Boy

Wish we were playing Sweden who we know well and wouldn't have the complete unknown factor Ukraine come with.

Think we'll win but it could be very tight and I think we may have to come from behind to do so.

Unconfirmed reports say Ukraine will open a McDonalds and wear blue jeans if they win.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 10:16 - Jul 2 with 2441 viewsbosh67

I don't think the officials being German is a problem. The reffing (so far) has been almost immaculate. Ukraine are a big physical team and they will press and push hard. This is not going to be easy. That said we should have enough to get through it if we don't lose concentration or move the ball too slowly. I'm going a nervous 2-1 to us.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 10:24 - Jul 2 with 2416 viewsJigsore

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 09:53 - Jul 2 by 80s_Boy

funny old game isn't it, I was dreading Sweden who're far more solid as a unit than Ukraine. A game versus them without an early goal would be like pulling teeth and Isak looked very lively up front for them

Ukraine have some gifted players for sure but I reckon they'll melt

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 10:38 - Jul 2 with 2379 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 10:24 - Jul 2 by Jigsore

funny old game isn't it, I was dreading Sweden who're far more solid as a unit than Ukraine. A game versus them without an early goal would be like pulling teeth and Isak looked very lively up front for them

Ukraine have some gifted players for sure but I reckon they'll melt

For me it was the fact that we played and beat them in the last tournament and history has a habit of sides having a hoodoo over others at tournaments played not too far apart: such as us losing to Germany in 70+72 and 90 + 96, Portugal in 2004 + 2006, Denmark's bizarre inability to beat an average Spanish side in 84 + 86 and France twice to West Germany in 82 + 86 for example.

Sweden would have entered the match with some nagging doubts and we would have entered it already knowing we could beat them at this stage of a tournament.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 10:46]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 10:51 - Jul 2 with 2316 viewsSimplyNico

I am surprised at this. Ukraine are a lucky third place qualifier, bang average, and were up against a bang average Sweden team who were down to 10 men, with both sides seemingly waiting for penalties.

Historically, they never progress far in a competition.

But what do I know? Watch them turn into Iceland. And us into England.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 10:53 - Jul 2 with 2296 viewsBoston

3-1 England win for me.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 10:56 - Jul 2 with 2278 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 10:51 - Jul 2 by SimplyNico

I am surprised at this. Ukraine are a lucky third place qualifier, bang average, and were up against a bang average Sweden team who were down to 10 men, with both sides seemingly waiting for penalties.

Historically, they never progress far in a competition.

But what do I know? Watch them turn into Iceland. And us into England.

"Historically, they never progress far in a competition."

Neither do we!

Tuesday was the first time in history we'd won a knock out match in the European Championships! The sole time we ever went more than 1 game further after the group stage it was on penalties!
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 11:08 - Jul 2 with 2249 viewsRBlock

England to win to nil, 1-0 or 2-0. Another assured performance from the lads. Might not be exhilarating, but will be controlled.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 11:08 - Jul 2 with 2247 viewsSimplyNico

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 10:56 - Jul 2 by 80s_Boy

"Historically, they never progress far in a competition."

Neither do we!

Tuesday was the first time in history we'd won a knock out match in the European Championships! The sole time we ever went more than 1 game further after the group stage it was on penalties!

Not entirely correct.

England's best performances at the finals was a third-place finish in 1968 (albeit only four teams competed in the finals). We also had the semi-final in 1996. Further, we reached the quarter-finals on two other occasions, in 2004 and 2012. We went out in round of 16 to Iceland in 2016. You are possibly referring to the four occasions (1980, 1988, 1992 and 2000), when did not progress beyond the group stage.

At a World Cup level, no contest.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 11:43 - Jul 2 with 2168 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 11:08 - Jul 2 by SimplyNico

Not entirely correct.

England's best performances at the finals was a third-place finish in 1968 (albeit only four teams competed in the finals). We also had the semi-final in 1996. Further, we reached the quarter-finals on two other occasions, in 2004 and 2012. We went out in round of 16 to Iceland in 2016. You are possibly referring to the four occasions (1980, 1988, 1992 and 2000), when did not progress beyond the group stage.

At a World Cup level, no contest.

oooo, pedant time!

In 1968 it was two-legged matches until the final stage so Yugoslavia was our first one-off knock out match.

In 1996 we drew with Spain and progressed via penalties but they are not included as an official match result and only used to decide progression.

In 2004 and 2012 there wasn't a 2nd round match so we went straight from the group stage to qtrs.

Germany was the first time we'd won a straight knock out match in European Championships history.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 11:44]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 11:53 - Jul 2 with 2129 viewsSimplyNico

We are talking at crossed purposes. You said we never progress far in a competition. I think a third place, a semi and two QFs at the Euros suggests otherwise. Further, as "competitions" rather than "Euros" was my initial reference point, i note there is no comment on the WC (notably, SF last time out with the same manager). As I said, not entirely correct, rather than wrong.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:09 - Jul 2 with 2098 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 11:53 - Jul 2 by SimplyNico

We are talking at crossed purposes. You said we never progress far in a competition. I think a third place, a semi and two QFs at the Euros suggests otherwise. Further, as "competitions" rather than "Euros" was my initial reference point, i note there is no comment on the WC (notably, SF last time out with the same manager). As I said, not entirely correct, rather than wrong.

World cups?

Since 66.

1970: QTR (didn't win knock out game)
1974: DNQ
1978: DNQ
1982: 2nd Stage never lost a match but didn't win any knock out matches either
1986: QTR (Beat Paraguay in knock out match)
1990: Semis (Beat Belguim and Cameroon in knock out matches)
1994: DNQ
1998: 2nd round (didn't win any knock out game)
2002: QTR (beat Denmark in knock out match)
2006: QTR: (beat Ecuador in knock out match)
2010: 2nd Round (did not win any knock out match)
2014: Group stages
2018: Semis (beat Sweden in knock out match)

My thought? Pretty decent in group stages when we qualify but rely on facing average sides to progress in knock out matches. Hardly World Beaters and we haven't got amazing pedigree.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 12:12]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:10 - Jul 2 with 2094 viewsdaveB

I'm more nervous about this one than I was the German game, has a similar air to the Scotland game plus talk of resting players due to being a booking away from suspension.

I think we'll win but I feel sick with nerves
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:11 - Jul 2 with 2089 viewsSimplyNico

Fab.

And how does that stack up against Ukraine?
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:14 - Jul 2 with 2079 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:11 - Jul 2 by SimplyNico

Fab.

And how does that stack up against Ukraine?

I haven't polished my crystal ball today so can't tell ;-)

If we win it shows that we're having an unprecedented European Championships.

If we lose it adds the German game to a list of exactly 1 where we have beaten a top nation in a knock-out match since 1966.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:21 - Jul 2 with 2065 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:09 - Jul 2 by 80s_Boy

World cups?

Since 66.

1970: QTR (didn't win knock out game)
1974: DNQ
1978: DNQ
1982: 2nd Stage never lost a match but didn't win any knock out matches either
1986: QTR (Beat Paraguay in knock out match)
1990: Semis (Beat Belguim and Cameroon in knock out matches)
1994: DNQ
1998: 2nd round (didn't win any knock out game)
2002: QTR (beat Denmark in knock out match)
2006: QTR: (beat Ecuador in knock out match)
2010: 2nd Round (did not win any knock out match)
2014: Group stages
2018: Semis (beat Sweden in knock out match)

My thought? Pretty decent in group stages when we qualify but rely on facing average sides to progress in knock out matches. Hardly World Beaters and we haven't got amazing pedigree.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 12:12]

think I'm right in saying Germany are the only big nation we've ever beaten in a knockout game.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:28 - Jul 2 with 2055 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:21 - Jul 2 by daveB

think I'm right in saying Germany are the only big nation we've ever beaten in a knockout game.

In '66 we beat Argentina, Portugal and Germany who were all considered among the best in the World at the time but before and since nothing! (apart from Tuesday, of course )
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 12:29]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:34 - Jul 2 with 2037 viewsRs_Holy

2-1 to England AET
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:49 - Jul 2 with 2012 viewsRangersw12

I'm really nervous again and my main concern is that Ukraine will put 11 people behind the ball and play for the lottery of pens

Hopefully we can get an early goal to settle things down. Fingers crossed 2 - 0 win
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:49 - Jul 2 with 2011 viewsSilverfoxqpr

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:28 - Jul 2 by 80s_Boy

In '66 we beat Argentina, Portugal and Germany who were all considered among the best in the World at the time but before and since nothing! (apart from Tuesday, of course )
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 12:29]

Probably easier to do this:

Knockout wins since 1966, World Cup AND Euros is as follows:

Paraguay (1986), Belgium (1990), Cameroon (1990), Spain (1996), Denmark (2002), Ecuador (2006), Colombia (2018), Sweden (2018) and Germany (2021).

Those last three make the record look a whole lot better, prior to that it was just SIX knockout wins in over 50 years. Sir Gareth it shall be!
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 13:00 - Jul 2 with 1973 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:49 - Jul 2 by Silverfoxqpr

Probably easier to do this:

Knockout wins since 1966, World Cup AND Euros is as follows:

Paraguay (1986), Belgium (1990), Cameroon (1990), Spain (1996), Denmark (2002), Ecuador (2006), Colombia (2018), Sweden (2018) and Germany (2021).

Those last three make the record look a whole lot better, prior to that it was just SIX knockout wins in over 50 years. Sir Gareth it shall be!

The fact that Spain and Columbia were both draws brings it down to 5 since 1966 before GS took over since 1966 so to have 2 INCLUDING one against Germany ( ) is something he should be applauded for!

Last 3 years have been great times to be an England fan and I honestly thought I'd never be saying that with him in charge
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 13:02 - Jul 2 with 1963 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:49 - Jul 2 by Rangersw12

I'm really nervous again and my main concern is that Ukraine will put 11 people behind the ball and play for the lottery of pens

Hopefully we can get an early goal to settle things down. Fingers crossed 2 - 0 win

Would now be a good time to point out that we've won our last 2 penalty shootouts?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 13:07 - Jul 2 with 1943 viewsRangersw12

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 13:00 - Jul 2 by 80s_Boy

The fact that Spain and Columbia were both draws brings it down to 5 since 1966 before GS took over since 1966 so to have 2 INCLUDING one against Germany ( ) is something he should be applauded for!

Last 3 years have been great times to be an England fan and I honestly thought I'd never be saying that with him in charge

If your not counting pens as wins then we haven't lost that many in knockout games either
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 13:08]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024