Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread 07:33 - Jul 2 with 12385 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 13:08 - Jul 2 with 1687 viewsRangersw12

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 13:02 - Jul 2 by 80s_Boy

Would now be a good time to point out that we've won our last 2 penalty shootouts?

It's still a lottery and best avoided
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 13:11 - Jul 2 with 1686 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 13:07 - Jul 2 by Rangersw12

If your not counting pens as wins then we haven't lost that many in knockout games either
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 13:08]

70: Germany 2-3
86: Argentina/God 1-2
90: Pens
96: Pens
98: Pens
02: Brazil 1-2
04: Pens
06: Pens
10: Germany 1-4
12: Pens
18: Croatia 1-2

6 - 5 in favour of pens. Shows we're hard to beat too.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 13:14]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 13:20 - Jul 2 with 1663 viewswood_hoop

Oh ye of little faith......

I would be very surpised if Ukraine do beat us, not saying its going to be a walk over unless they have been using the Spanish goal keeping manual for back passes in training !

No doubt there will be nail chewing moments but I just cannot see GS letting our players let this slip away now.

Can't see it being a goal fest either but dosn't need to be,.........
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 13:24]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 13:21 - Jul 2 with 1659 viewsSimplyNico

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:14 - Jul 2 by 80s_Boy

I haven't polished my crystal ball today so can't tell ;-)

If we win it shows that we're having an unprecedented European Championships.

If we lose it adds the German game to a list of exactly 1 where we have beaten a top nation in a knock-out match since 1966.

Very interesting.

And none of it detracts from the original proposition, which was thatUkraine are a lucky third place qualifier, bang average, and were up against a bang average Sweden team who were down to 10 men, with both sides seemingly waiting for penalties.

Historically, they never progress far in a competition.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 13:37 - Jul 2 with 1624 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 13:21 - Jul 2 by SimplyNico

Very interesting.

And none of it detracts from the original proposition, which was thatUkraine are a lucky third place qualifier, bang average, and were up against a bang average Sweden team who were down to 10 men, with both sides seemingly waiting for penalties.

Historically, they never progress far in a competition.

I've fixed this for you Nico,

'And none of it detracts from the original proposition, which was that Portugal are a lucky third place qualifier, bang average [as anyone who saw them play at Wembley in June can attest}'

Also, going through my archives I found this....

'None of this detracts from the point that Denmark were on the beach 2 weeks ago and have only beaten a poor French side so have NO chance against the defending European Champions, Holland'

The Euros has a habit of unfancied teams winning it.... so we can't take anything for granted...

Enjoy the rest of the day and the weekend!
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 13:39]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 14:30 - Jul 2 with 1555 viewsPhilmyRs

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 13:11 - Jul 2 by 80s_Boy

70: Germany 2-3
86: Argentina/God 1-2
90: Pens
96: Pens
98: Pens
02: Brazil 1-2
04: Pens
06: Pens
10: Germany 1-4
12: Pens
18: Croatia 1-2

6 - 5 in favour of pens. Shows we're hard to beat too.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 13:14]

Interesting when you look at that. Forget how often penalties have been our undoing. With the exception of Germany 2010 - although that was also the Lampard over the line moment - we never lay down and die, always fight till the end despite quality not always being there. Think that’s something we often overlook with past England teams. In sport there are so many fine margins and sliding doors moments - Muller missing the other day being 1 - get a bit of luck and you just never know. It could be our year.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 14:40 - Jul 2 with 1546 viewsBrianMcCarthy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:28 - Jul 2 by 80s_Boy

In '66 we beat Argentina, Portugal and Germany who were all considered among the best in the World at the time but before and since nothing! (apart from Tuesday, of course )
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 12:29]

Saw this during the week, 80's Boy. Great photo.
West Germany at huge odds - wrongly as it turned out! Portugal and Argentina among the favourites, as you say.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 15:04 - Jul 2 with 1508 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Lost in the excitement /dread of Englands progress so far is the fact they have not played up to their potential but this is the game to do that IMO.
Look at the prize waiting a place in the final if 2 average teams are dispatched while the other side of the draw top teams knock each other out .
England could win this 3-0 if they get moving early Ukraine have nothing to match that firepower
Login to get fewer ads

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 15:17 - Jul 2 with 1509 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 14:40 - Jul 2 by BrianMcCarthy

West Germany at huge odds - wrongly as it turned out! Portugal and Argentina among the favourites, as you say.

Great picture, never seen it before!

Very surprised to see West Germany so low down the field as they were more fancied than both Hungary (who were clearly on a decline) and France who are on similar odds.

Can only presume this is because they were expected to finish 2nd to Argentina in the group and would have played England at Wembley in the QTRs and they had never won a match against England at that point.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 15:24 - Jul 2 with 1489 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 14:30 - Jul 2 by PhilmyRs

Interesting when you look at that. Forget how often penalties have been our undoing. With the exception of Germany 2010 - although that was also the Lampard over the line moment - we never lay down and die, always fight till the end despite quality not always being there. Think that’s something we often overlook with past England teams. In sport there are so many fine margins and sliding doors moments - Muller missing the other day being 1 - get a bit of luck and you just never know. It could be our year.

I always think of England in International football as an Oscar De La Hoya if you like your boxing.

Always good enough to beat B Level fighters and pretenders but rarely good enough to beat the elite. Had a few questionable defeats against some great names and always gave it his all but just fell short in most of those match ups.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 15:25]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 15:43 - Jul 2 with 1449 viewsSnipper

That’s a fantastic picture Brian.

On tomorrow’s game, I’m not one bit nervous about it. I think England will win quite easily.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 15:51 - Jul 2 with 1429 viewskensalriser

I've certainly had my fill of historical England tournament stats. Whatever they are, they have little to no bearing on tomorrow's game.

All England have to do is do mostly what they've done so far in this tournament and they should win comfortably. I have a little more confidence in this side than previous England sides and I wonder if the difference is the seeming unity in the squad. It's difficult for a team to progress if there's any internal friction, as France and the Netherlands have shown numerous times.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 16:44]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 16:00 - Jul 2 with 1384 viewsClive_Anderson

I reckon we'll win easily 3-0.

Ukraine aren't very good and half their team got injured in their last game.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 16:13 - Jul 2 with 1388 viewsSimplyNico

Careful. You haven't read how bad we are. Please see above. Ignore current FIFA Rankings in doubg so
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 16:16 - Jul 2 with 1382 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 16:13 - Jul 2 by SimplyNico

Careful. You haven't read how bad we are. Please see above. Ignore current FIFA Rankings in doubg so

Who said we're bad, Nico?
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 16:33 - Jul 2 with 1354 viewsSimplyNico

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 16:16 - Jul 2 by 80s_Boy

Who said we're bad, Nico?

I thought the gist of your comments:

"Pretty decent in group stages when we qualify but rely on facing average sides to progress in knock out matches. Hardly World Beaters and we haven't got amazing pedigree."

"If we win it shows that we're having an unprecedented European Championships."

"In '66 we beat Argentina, Portugal and Germany who were all considered among the best in the World at the time but before and since nothing! (apart from Tuesday, of course )"

"I always think of England in International football as an Oscar De La Hoya if you like your boxing.

Always good enough to beat B Level fighters and pretenders but rarely good enough to beat the elite. Had a few questionable defeats against some great names and always gave it his all but just fell short in most of those match ups."

was that the England team were bad.

My apologies if I have misinterpreted this.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 16:44 - Jul 2 with 1341 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 16:33 - Jul 2 by SimplyNico

I thought the gist of your comments:

"Pretty decent in group stages when we qualify but rely on facing average sides to progress in knock out matches. Hardly World Beaters and we haven't got amazing pedigree."

"If we win it shows that we're having an unprecedented European Championships."

"In '66 we beat Argentina, Portugal and Germany who were all considered among the best in the World at the time but before and since nothing! (apart from Tuesday, of course )"

"I always think of England in International football as an Oscar De La Hoya if you like your boxing.

Always good enough to beat B Level fighters and pretenders but rarely good enough to beat the elite. Had a few questionable defeats against some great names and always gave it his all but just fell short in most of those match ups."

was that the England team were bad.

My apologies if I have misinterpreted this.

""Pretty decent in group stages when we qualify but rely on facing average sides to progress in knock out matches. Hardly World Beaters and we haven't got amazing pedigree."

Can you provide any examples except for 1966 where you believe this to be incorrect?

""If we win it shows that we're having an unprecedented European Championships."

We have never won a knock out match at any previous European Championships so to win 2 would be unprecedented.

Not sure what you're pulling up here to be honest.... Happy to agree to disagree if you don't believe those 3 could be considered great wins in 1966.

With regards to ODLH, considered by many boxing fans as an excellent fighter throughout his career but not a great due to how few great wins he has on his CV. England have, for the most part, always been a top side in World football but seldom among the greats.

I've not read anyone on here call England a bad side.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 16:48 - Jul 2 with 1335 viewskensalriser

Stop droning on about England's results back in the day. Who cares!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 16:54 - Jul 2 with 1327 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 16:48 - Jul 2 by kensalriser

Stop droning on about England's results back in the day. Who cares!

It's a side topic to the game and commentators will be referring to it constantly!

Did you stop mentioning about how we'd never won at Nottingham Forest when it was such a big part of our club's culture and history?
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 16:59 - Jul 2 with 1317 viewsSimplyNico

Indeed.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 00:25 - Jul 3 with 1157 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Great photo.

Presuming that’s the 60s that’s a proper Commie fest! Russia, Hungary, Bulgaria, North Korea.

Shame we only have one this year...

Eusebio pulling that Portugal side’s odds isn’t he.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2021 0:27]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 00:31 - Jul 3 with 1143 viewsdigswellhoop

does kane start
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 00:34 - Jul 3 with 1144 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 00:31 - Jul 3 by digswellhoop

does kane start

After a few Stellas maybe.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 00:39 - Jul 3 with 1131 viewsdigswellhoop

don't start i was at 1966 finals we were typically england last min goa to set up xtracrime though we deserved to win is this squad as good
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Ukraine 🇺🇦 Match Thread on 12:18 - Jul 3 with 991 viewseastside_r

It’s cup football. Shocks do happen, but their relative rarity makes them stand out.

A top Premiership club playing a upper-mid Championship side, unusually at a neutral venue. We all know what usually happens but remember Iceland.

Take this easy and Ukraine can hurt England, but I am not expecting this.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024