Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cheers Sir Les 12:30 - Jun 16 with 6306 viewsPikey

Thanks for all your efforts over 30 years and good wishes for the future.
Rest assured the numpties will hound your successor too when we dont sign any multi million pounders or fail tk get silly money fir the current players.
They might realise FFP and its constraints are real obstacles.
Cheers Sir Les on 13:21 - Jun 16 with 4634 viewsSimonJames

"...FFP and it's constraints are [definitely] real obstacles." for ALL clubs. Sadly, under his eight year tenure as DoF we have not showed any real signs of progress. So time for a change of thinking.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Cheers Sir Les on 13:58 - Jun 16 with 4520 viewsNorthantsHoop

All the best Les, but it is right time for change, 8 years is a long time. Would like to see Mark Warburton brought in as DoF, but who knows what has been lined up.
Cheers Sir Les on 14:03 - Jun 16 with 4505 viewsnumptydumpty

This Numpty is grateful to Sir Les for all his hard work and commitment to this football club.

Treated very poorly by many on this Forum, and considering the man almost definitely in top five best ever players of the last 50 years, some of the vitriol I have seen online has been shameful.

He was superb as a player and came into his role when we had an immense wage bill, with players who were extremely mercenary.

We have stabilised whilst reducing expenditure massively and at a time when we still have had to put aside money for FFP fines every season.

It is always a challenge to keep the natives from becoming restless and to be fair many decisions did work and vice versa.

I did myself personally think we both could have be more advantaged with Les moving on this season, but the man did not need the money or the flak, yet he put himself in the ever ready firing line and considering restrictions we faced, has done well IMHO.

From my perspective always saw him as trying his damnedest best for the club and if on a few occasions it did not go to plan - well that happens to the best of us - he always did work hard to resolve any issues in the mad world that football is.

Still for me the greatest player for our club I witnessed although perhaps for me, Ray Wilkins was the classiest - came in too late for Stanley myself etc.

I guess the vitriol may have came more from impatient younger fans who never saw Les play for us.

From myself good luck Sir Leslie.

You will always be welcome back home anytime you wish. 😊😊
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 14:06]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Cheers Sir Les on 14:30 - Jun 16 with 4398 viewsQPRSteve

I'll second that Numpty.
Cheers Sir Les on 14:34 - Jun 16 with 4378 viewsStanisgod

Thirded

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Cheers Sir Les on 14:39 - Jun 16 with 4355 viewscolinallcars

Yes, I wish him well. We are long overdue a change and it remains to be seen where we gonfrom here.
Cheers Sir Les on 15:02 - Jun 16 with 4258 viewsDavieQPR

Why for 30 years? Why are you grateful for his times at Newcastle and Spurs?
Cheers Sir Les on 15:18 - Jun 16 with 4204 viewsWestonsuperR

Cheers Sir Les on 14:03 - Jun 16 by numptydumpty

This Numpty is grateful to Sir Les for all his hard work and commitment to this football club.

Treated very poorly by many on this Forum, and considering the man almost definitely in top five best ever players of the last 50 years, some of the vitriol I have seen online has been shameful.

He was superb as a player and came into his role when we had an immense wage bill, with players who were extremely mercenary.

We have stabilised whilst reducing expenditure massively and at a time when we still have had to put aside money for FFP fines every season.

It is always a challenge to keep the natives from becoming restless and to be fair many decisions did work and vice versa.

I did myself personally think we both could have be more advantaged with Les moving on this season, but the man did not need the money or the flak, yet he put himself in the ever ready firing line and considering restrictions we faced, has done well IMHO.

From my perspective always saw him as trying his damnedest best for the club and if on a few occasions it did not go to plan - well that happens to the best of us - he always did work hard to resolve any issues in the mad world that football is.

Still for me the greatest player for our club I witnessed although perhaps for me, Ray Wilkins was the classiest - came in too late for Stanley myself etc.

I guess the vitriol may have came more from impatient younger fans who never saw Les play for us.

Brilliantly put and totally agree.

It’s such a shame that many have seemingly forgotten how good Les was as a player, I can only assume mostly the younger generation that didn’t ever see him play. Would be in my all-time QPR XI
Login to get fewer ads

Cheers Sir Les on 15:32 - Jun 16 with 4139 viewsDorse

He was a progressive appointment for us - our first DoF - and he performed the role with dignity throughout. He never needs to pay for a pint as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers Les. You are a Mensch.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Cheers Sir Les on 15:50 - Jun 16 with 4048 viewsgazza1

I do not know if Sir Les done his job well or not because I do not know what a DOF role is....there are many, many differing idea from lots of different people. Some think this and some think that.....is it selling players, is it signing players, is it working for the Manager or First Team coach, is it hiring and firing, is it getting good opportunities for the youngsters, is it arranging good pre season friendlies, is it advising the Coaches, Is it making sure we play a certain type of football, is it playing our B U21 football at Hanwell Town, is it watching game s and advising the First Team Manager of our prospects .......And it goes on!!!

What I can say is that Sir Les was/is pretty committed to QPR and I do not believe that he would want anything but the best for us.

I cannot understand all the negativity around him.....but hey/ho this is what it is.
Cheers Sir Les on 16:06 - Jun 16 with 3971 viewsSimonJames

Cheers Sir Les on 14:03 - Jun 16 by numptydumpty

If you're implying that my comment was vitriol from an impatient younger fan:
- I'm 58
- I think Sir Les was a magnificent player and is a dignified honourable man

But in terms of standard DoF responsibilities such as Player Recruitment, Long-term strategy, and Managerial appointments, I don't think he's been particularly successful. And if that is partially due to interference from the board/owners, then as I said before, new thinking is required.

Cheers Sir Les on 17:03 - Jun 16 with 3826 viewsMalintabuk

I would never knock anyone that seems to have the best for QPR at heart, but a lot on here feel that he loves the club as we do, and he may have a soft spot for us.
He was a great player for us and for that we should look back fondly... can we say the same with his tenure as DoF.
We applaud the fact that he managed to reduce the wage bill... honestly how hard is it to get shot of people that a) don't want to be here b) are not going to have contracts renewed.
The rest of his tenure has also been pretty poor.
Manager appointments, apart from Warburton how many successful ones as he or the club appointed...
The signing of players again there have been decent ones... but for a club purporting to be a model based on selling, it is pretty poor
Development of players again our only half decent manager left siting his falling out over the quality of our youth players
Loftus Road itself though possibly not a lot Les could do is shocking.
We have to be honest and accept though he is a good man by the looks of things... a success he isn't and it is time for him to move on.
Sometimes on a forum views can be quite vitriolic and when it is on a forum filled with people that love a club and see how bad it is run.... there is going to be pelters
Cheers Sir Les on 17:14 - Jun 16 with 3781 viewsnumptydumpty

Cheers Sir Les on 16:06 - Jun 16 by SimonJames

If you're implying that my comment was vitriol from an impatient younger fan:
- I'm 58
- I think Sir Les was a magnificent player and is a dignified honourable man

But in terms of standard DoF responsibilities such as Player Recruitment, Long-term strategy, and Managerial appointments, I don't think he's been particularly successful. And if that is partially due to interference from the board/owners, then as I said before, new thinking is required.

I tend to disagree with yourself re his overall performance and was aware a lot of the nasty vicious comments towards him were from all ages. Although easier to criticise if no first hand knowledge of his previous with the club.

Astronomical wage bill and many mercenaries when he started. This last season been a challenge but he has been here over eight seasons and has achieved a great deal.

I agreed it was his time for pastures new but to say he has been poor in general, I totally disagree.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 17:18]

Cheers Sir Les on 17:26 - Jun 16 with 3728 viewsPikey

Cheers Sir Les on 15:02 - Jun 16 by DavieQPR

Why for 30 years? Why are you grateful for his times at Newcastle and Spurs?

His influence at the club spanned 30+ years, even when away he had an eye on ts. Met him at Newcastle training ground he spotted my son on his rs kit and came over for a long chat . Always been an r and always will be.
Cheers Sir Les on 17:41 - Jun 16 with 3699 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Conor Washington
James Perch
Sebastian Polter
Ben Gladwin
Matt Ingram
Nasser El Khayati
Jay Emmanuel Thomas
Jamie Mackie (the second time)
Paul Konchesky
Idrissa Sylla
Pawel Wszolek
Ariel Borysiuk
Jordan Cousins
Joel Lynch
Sean Goss
Yeni N'Gbakoto
Davis Wheeler
Alex Baptiste
Paul Smyth
Liam Kelly
Todd Kane
Marc Pugh
Luke Amos
Jan Mlakar
Matt Smith (the little one)
Macauley Bonne
George Thomas
Jordy De Wijs
Tom Carroll
Charlie Kelman
Andre Dozzell
Jeff Hendrick
Dion Sanderson
Jake Clarke Salter
Taylor Richards
Tyler Roberts

Not enjoyable reading and even worse to experience.

I too wish Les well and thank him for his efforts over the last eight years. I have no doubt he had the club at heart and acted upon what he believed was its best interests.

I'd also point out that criticism of his job here Directing the football is completely just and fair.
Cheers Sir Les on 17:51 - Jun 16 with 3651 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Cheers Sir Les on 15:18 - Jun 16 by WestonsuperR

Brilliantly put and totally agree.

It’s such a shame that many have seemingly forgotten how good Les was as a player, I can only assume mostly the younger generation that didn’t ever see him play. Would be in my all-time QPR XI

What has his ability as a player got to do with anything? Taarabt was a sensational player, would you want him as our next DoF? Phil Giles has never kicked a ball professionally, does that make him an inferior football administrator?

This man was my hero growing up. I literally cried at primary school when we sold him. My mates still remind me of that. Nothing has been sullied, he still has untouchable status as an all time great. Anyone interested in besmirching that reputation at QPR is flat out wrong.

None of that means he shouldn't be held accountable - as the Director of Football - for his part in what has gone wrong.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 17:53]
Cheers Sir Les on 17:53 - Jun 16 with 3628 viewsextratimeR

Wonderful player, great guy, had the good fortune to meet him a few times, as good in real life as he was on the pitch.

Thanks Les
Cheers Sir Les on 18:07 - Jun 16 with 3581 viewsSimonJames

Cheers Sir Les on 17:14 - Jun 16 by numptydumpty

I tend to disagree with yourself re his overall performance and was aware a lot of the nasty vicious comments towards him were from all ages. Although easier to criticise if no first hand knowledge of his previous with the club.

Astronomical wage bill and many mercenaries when he started. This last season been a challenge but he has been here over eight seasons and has achieved a great deal.

I agreed it was his time for pastures new but to say he has been poor in general, I totally disagree.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 17:18]

So if you were Sir Les, updating his cv to apply for another DoF job, what would be the main achievements you would highlight?

- Worked with Lee Hoos and others to reduce the enormous wages bill
- Led the club to a top ten finish (9th) in the 2020-21 season
- Led the club to two other top half finishes (11th & 12th)
- Oversaw the appointment of eight managers!

Cheers Sir Les on 18:19 - Jun 16 with 3533 viewsnumptydumpty

Cheers Sir Les on 18:07 - Jun 16 by SimonJames

So if you were Sir Les, updating his cv to apply for another DoF job, what would be the main achievements you would highlight?

- Worked with Lee Hoos and others to reduce the enormous wages bill
- Led the club to a top ten finish (9th) in the 2020-21 season
- Led the club to two other top half finishes (11th & 12th)
- Oversaw the appointment of eight managers!

Looks like you spoiling for a fight

He has done a decent job.

Last season went wrong when Beale left.

But generally apart from second half last season we had stabilised as a mid table Club with massively lower bills.

What do you expect ??

Champions League players developed top half premiership or even premiership status. He has done well as far as I am concerned.

Ok blah blah blah Brentford Fulham etc.

I think it was the time for all to move forwards. And that's fine

Very easy to criticise from comfortable armchairs !!!!
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 18:20]

Cheers Sir Les on 18:25 - Jun 16 with 3502 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

A top striker, certainly the best I ever saw. If you didnt grow up watching him live it is difficult to appreciate just how good he was, or the influence he had on the team. I was lucky enough to see his first goals for the club versus the scum down the road in a 4-2 win in 88'.

Loves the club, we loved him. LEGEND.

The right time to move on, but God help us if Warburton doesn't get the role (extremely unlikely).
Cheers Sir Les on 18:50 - Jun 16 with 3416 viewsE15Hoop

Cheers Sir Les on 18:25 - Jun 16 by Wilkinswatercarrier

A top striker, certainly the best I ever saw. If you didnt grow up watching him live it is difficult to appreciate just how good he was, or the influence he had on the team. I was lucky enough to see his first goals for the club versus the scum down the road in a 4-2 win in 88'.

Loves the club, we loved him. LEGEND.

The right time to move on, but God help us if Warburton doesn't get the role (extremely unlikely).

if Warbs gets the role, it basically means that Amit and Reuben have to swallow their pride over the lack of talent currently coming through from the Academy,

Given the amount of investment gone into Heston, and the big noise surrounding it, you would have to think there is marginally more chance of a snowball fight in Hell..
Cheers Sir Les on 19:20 - Jun 16 with 3352 viewsChrisNW6

Cheers Sir Les on 17:41 - Jun 16 by Padulas_Shampoo

Conor Washington
James Perch
Sebastian Polter
Ben Gladwin
Matt Ingram
Nasser El Khayati
Jay Emmanuel Thomas
Jamie Mackie (the second time)
Paul Konchesky
Idrissa Sylla
Pawel Wszolek
Ariel Borysiuk
Jordan Cousins
Joel Lynch
Sean Goss
Yeni N'Gbakoto
Davis Wheeler
Alex Baptiste
Paul Smyth
Liam Kelly
Todd Kane
Marc Pugh
Luke Amos
Jan Mlakar
Matt Smith (the little one)
Macauley Bonne
George Thomas
Jordy De Wijs
Tom Carroll
Charlie Kelman
Andre Dozzell
Jeff Hendrick
Dion Sanderson
Jake Clarke Salter
Taylor Richards
Tyler Roberts

Not enjoyable reading and even worse to experience.

I too wish Les well and thank him for his efforts over the last eight years. I have no doubt he had the club at heart and acted upon what he believed was its best interests.

I'd also point out that criticism of his job here Directing the football is completely just and fair.

Go on then I'll bite 🎣 quite a few signings missing of this list.

I will judge Les over the last 8yrs as meeting the remit. Never really flirted with relegation and we have improved as a club year on year. Last year was a massive blip and we all know the reasons for that cluster fook.

Absolutely loved the previous 4 seasons and I am really worried we are not going to be able to stop the decline and drop much further.
Cheers Sir Les on 19:26 - Jun 16 with 3328 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Cheers Sir Les on 19:20 - Jun 16 by ChrisNW6

Go on then I'll bite 🎣 quite a few signings missing of this list.

I will judge Les over the last 8yrs as meeting the remit. Never really flirted with relegation and we have improved as a club year on year. Last year was a massive blip and we all know the reasons for that cluster fook.

Absolutely loved the previous 4 seasons and I am really worried we are not going to be able to stop the decline and drop much further.

Go on then. You do your list and we’ll see whose is longer.
Cheers Sir Les on 19:30 - Jun 16 with 3318 viewsswitchingcode

Cheers Sir Les on 18:50 - Jun 16 by E15Hoop

if Warbs gets the role, it basically means that Amit and Reuben have to swallow their pride over the lack of talent currently coming through from the Academy,

Given the amount of investment gone into Heston, and the big noise surrounding it, you would have to think there is marginally more chance of a snowball fight in Hell..

Why would anyone want to employ him as DOF when has he been successful in that position
Cheers Sir Les on 20:16 - Jun 16 with 3215 viewsBoston

Cheers Sir Les, as great a player as you were, it was your move into an ambassadorial role that I'll always remember you for.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024