Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
South of the river – Awaydays 23:17 - Jul 23 with 5274 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/60500
South of the river – Awaydays on 10:10 - Jul 24 with 4413 viewsbosh67

The depth or lack of depth in the squad is frightening. I do wonder if Gareth in the early hours of some morning's wonders why he did come here. If we get off to a poor start he'll get pelters but it is pretty obvious that although many of the players are nice enough characters who will play for the badge that overall this is the weakest squad we've had for about a decade, in terms of what is actually available.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

South of the river – Awaydays on 11:45 - Jul 24 with 4155 viewsHayesender

South of the river – Awaydays on 10:10 - Jul 24 by bosh67

The depth or lack of depth in the squad is frightening. I do wonder if Gareth in the early hours of some morning's wonders why he did come here. If we get off to a poor start he'll get pelters but it is pretty obvious that although many of the players are nice enough characters who will play for the badge that overall this is the weakest squad we've had for about a decade, in terms of what is actually available.

Weakest squad since that 2000/01 calamity imo. I'm just hoping that GA and the board have some cunning plan in place in the next couple of weeks

Poll: Shamima Beghum

South of the river – Awaydays on 12:06 - Jul 24 with 4084 viewsRs_Holy

South of the river – Awaydays on 11:45 - Jul 24 by Hayesender

Weakest squad since that 2000/01 calamity imo. I'm just hoping that GA and the board have some cunning plan in place in the next couple of weeks

i wonder how this squad compares to the Wycombe squad that GA came very close to keeping in the Championship a few years back???
[Post edited 24 Jul 2023 12:30]
South of the river – Awaydays on 12:06 - Jul 24 with 4090 viewsDannyPaddox

The New Plough Lane feels like it was a designed one morning by a precocious child on Minecraft. Great achievement to be where they are now tho and a good day out. Mind you I was in the home stand. Decent bars - out of the rain - and met a Womble.

Oh yes, QPR … Begovic looks the part. Solid, big presence, looks in good shape. I’m waiting to see who the other four coming in are but boy are we gonna need Big Beg this season.

Big Beg/ Big Begs/ Bego/ Biggus Begovic ??? What will nickname be? Anything but Big Fcuking Bosnian please.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2023 12:28]
South of the river – Awaydays on 12:22 - Jul 24 with 3988 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Fair write up of the game. I was in the main stand, and Willock was in front of us and his body language looked off to me.
I am starting to think he wont be able to play the way Gareth wants. He is either saving himself for a move, or doesn't trust his body. Either way, without the ball he just wasn't doing it. With the ball he comes alive.
The B team players look woefully short of what is required, and that is a huge concern as they are now in the 1st team squad. We look very weak.

The game did little to change my mind from a month ago. It will be a miracle to not be relegated.
South of the river – Awaydays on 12:49 - Jul 24 with 3824 viewsbosh67

South of the river – Awaydays on 12:22 - Jul 24 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Fair write up of the game. I was in the main stand, and Willock was in front of us and his body language looked off to me.
I am starting to think he wont be able to play the way Gareth wants. He is either saving himself for a move, or doesn't trust his body. Either way, without the ball he just wasn't doing it. With the ball he comes alive.
The B team players look woefully short of what is required, and that is a huge concern as they are now in the 1st team squad. We look very weak.

The game did little to change my mind from a month ago. It will be a miracle to not be relegated.

I don't think Willock trusts his body. I feel that is the main problem. I'm usually wrong but he's has so many problems with his hamstrings that I guess it is sometimes hard to really go for it on the field for fear of another injury. As such, he is a shadow of what he was... for now.

I'll eat these words when he's sold for a million and then score 30 for whoever he goes to.

Does anyone else think that Dykes has kind of signed a loyalty contract. He's obviously a very decent guy but I also feel like he's signed a long contract specifically so that if we have a very poor start to the season that he can at least be sold at a proper value. I'm sure he's hoping we do well but I doubt he has stayed because he was promised that we'd be getting in high quality players around him.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

South of the river – Awaydays on 13:06 - Jul 24 with 3699 viewsTheChef

South of the river – Awaydays on 12:06 - Jul 24 by DannyPaddox

The New Plough Lane feels like it was a designed one morning by a precocious child on Minecraft. Great achievement to be where they are now tho and a good day out. Mind you I was in the home stand. Decent bars - out of the rain - and met a Womble.

Oh yes, QPR … Begovic looks the part. Solid, big presence, looks in good shape. I’m waiting to see who the other four coming in are but boy are we gonna need Big Beg this season.

Big Beg/ Big Begs/ Bego/ Biggus Begovic ??? What will nickname be? Anything but Big Fcuking Bosnian please.

That block of flats behind it looks like something out of Minecraft.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

South of the river – Awaydays on 13:21 - Jul 24 with 3649 viewscalHoop

As always, a great read.

And good for calling our Paal on that pathetic non challenge which almost led to a goal in the first half. He worries me massively from a defensive point of view, should have closed down their cross for the goal too. So many times last season he was painfully slow to react to danger, particularly rebounds.

We talk about CB and lack of CF being issues, but full backs for me is right up there too.
Login to get fewer ads

South of the river – Awaydays on 13:36 - Jul 24 with 3578 viewsNorthernr

South of the river – Awaydays on 13:21 - Jul 24 by calHoop

As always, a great read.

And good for calling our Paal on that pathetic non challenge which almost led to a goal in the first half. He worries me massively from a defensive point of view, should have closed down their cross for the goal too. So many times last season he was painfully slow to react to danger, particularly rebounds.

We talk about CB and lack of CF being issues, but full backs for me is right up there too.

I mean he did bottle that totally, but it was a horror pass from Field - had a blue flashing light on it.
South of the river – Awaydays on 13:37 - Jul 24 with 3578 viewsYorkRanger

Made me smile, born and bred in Tooting Bec and when we moved to Yorkshire in the early 90s I lamented that I didn't know anyone north of the Thames let alone north of Watford!
Had some drinks in Tooting Market a month or two back and it had come a long way since the 80s.
South of the river – Awaydays on 13:37 - Jul 24 with 3571 viewsNorthernr

South of the river – Awaydays on 13:37 - Jul 24 by YorkRanger

Made me smile, born and bred in Tooting Bec and when we moved to Yorkshire in the early 90s I lamented that I didn't know anyone north of the Thames let alone north of Watford!
Had some drinks in Tooting Market a month or two back and it had come a long way since the 80s.

It's great in there, we're in there all the time.
South of the river – Awaydays on 15:47 - Jul 24 with 3106 viewsgazza1

Played in South London, Tooting & Mitcham and others, never enjoyed the area, teams not nice at all...... shocked you moved there, must have had a good reason!!!!
South of the river – Awaydays on 15:50 - Jul 24 with 3096 viewsgazza1

It was a bit short from Field but Paal has still got to smash it as far as he can......but they don't, generally, nowadays.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2023 15:51]
South of the river – Awaydays on 16:24 - Jul 24 with 2953 viewshubble

South of the river – Awaydays on 12:06 - Jul 24 by DannyPaddox

Begbie

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

South of the river – Awaydays on 16:34 - Jul 24 with 2904 viewsjoe90

I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I love Tooting! It’s definitely changed since I was kid but it hasn’t completely lost its character. Having said that, I did spend my formative years in South West London so am a bit biased.

Regarding the football, does anyone know if Chair or Willock are likely to leave before the start of the season?
[Post edited 24 Jul 2023 16:35]
South of the river – Awaydays on 17:09 - Jul 24 with 2792 viewsterryb

South of the river – Awaydays on 16:34 - Jul 24 by joe90

I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I love Tooting! It’s definitely changed since I was kid but it hasn’t completely lost its character. Having said that, I did spend my formative years in South West London so am a bit biased.

Regarding the football, does anyone know if Chair or Willock are likely to leave before the start of the season?
[Post edited 24 Jul 2023 16:35]

Only if another club wants either of them & makes an offer.

I know that seems too simplistic, but I've not noticed clubs lining up wanting their services.
South of the river – Awaydays on 17:09 - Jul 24 with 2790 viewsDannyPaddox

South of the river – Awaydays on 16:24 - Jul 24 by hubble

Begbie

South of the river – Awaydays on 18:24 - Jul 24 with 2571 viewsjtuck

I grew up mile and a half from Loftus Road on the mean streets of Holland Park. Used to walk to games. But when I got married, I moved first to Wandsworth Common and then to Tooting Bec. Rest of my family reacted like I had gone to live in Outer Mongolia and still harbour deep, dark suspicions about 'south of the river'. They're wrong and glad to hear Clive has 'survived' in Tooting, home of Citizen Smith.

Old Plough Lane was a real dump and remember going to see Wimbledon at Selhurst Park in the 90s in the Premier League when it was common to get home crowds of 3-4 thousand. Major drawback of S London is all those 'Chels' fans

LAranger

South of the river – Awaydays on 18:25 - Jul 24 with 2566 viewsParkRoyalR

South of the river – Awaydays on 13:36 - Jul 24 by Northernr

I mean he did bottle that totally, but it was a horror pass from Field - had a blue flashing light on it.

Arrived late so missed first 15 odd but from my position in Side Stand thought Paal was 100% at fault for their goal,

Had plenty of time to get tight on his man and did the opposite, gave him an extra couple of yards to put in a dangerous cross under no pressure whatsoever,

Very odd that from Paal as usually very tenacious and brave.
South of the river – Awaydays on 18:29 - Jul 24 with 2538 viewsFrankRightguard

It was right in front of me and he absolutely was 100% to blame for their goal. He just stood there and let the fella cross it.
South of the river – Awaydays on 19:11 - Jul 24 with 2420 viewsstowmarketrange

South of the river – Awaydays on 18:24 - Jul 24 by jtuck

I grew up mile and a half from Loftus Road on the mean streets of Holland Park. Used to walk to games. But when I got married, I moved first to Wandsworth Common and then to Tooting Bec. Rest of my family reacted like I had gone to live in Outer Mongolia and still harbour deep, dark suspicions about 'south of the river'. They're wrong and glad to hear Clive has 'survived' in Tooting, home of Citizen Smith.

Old Plough Lane was a real dump and remember going to see Wimbledon at Selhurst Park in the 90s in the Premier League when it was common to get home crowds of 3-4 thousand. Major drawback of S London is all those 'Chels' fans

I spent yesterday in Battersea Park doing the March for men for prostate cancer UK and I only saw 1 Chelshite shirt.Maybe they’re too embarrassed to wear them after last season’s debacle?
Battersea has certainly gone upmarket since we moved out in 1968.I think I’d have to win the lottery twice to be able to afford anything in that area now.
South of the river – Awaydays on 22:01 - Jul 24 with 2065 viewsdmm

South of the river – Awaydays on 19:11 - Jul 24 by stowmarketrange

I spent yesterday in Battersea Park doing the March for men for prostate cancer UK and I only saw 1 Chelshite shirt.Maybe they’re too embarrassed to wear them after last season’s debacle?
Battersea has certainly gone upmarket since we moved out in 1968.I think I’d have to win the lottery twice to be able to afford anything in that area now.

Of course, it's pronounced 'Bat-err-see-ah'. Innit.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024