Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? 22:29 - Feb 14 with 32444 viewsRangersDave

Hi guys,
Many of you won’t know my dad, he’s currently on his second internment in Kings Lynn hospital, this year, but this time it’s very serious.
He has fluid on the heart and it’s not draining, so it’s possibly surgery and we’ve been told to expect the worst.

My dads 82 now, lifelong rangers fan, as was his father, and he passed the baton to myself and my son.

Saw all the greats at rangers, went to white city, Wembley 4 times inc the playoff final.

Is registered disabled and hasn’t been to HQ for 18 or so years do to health and costs / transport.

He’s slightly Parkinson’s as well so every thing he says to me is about rangers for about 10 minutes then he’s on again about the same thing for 10 mins etc etc.

Loves the hoops, but I’m afraid (and in tears as I write this) the next couple of days will be his last hurrah. He’s got the last few ‘kick up the rrrrsssss’ by his bedside, and I’m out to see him in hospital tomorrow if he sees the night through.

Not sure what I’ll do without my dad, but for now, i’ll get by. Could I ask that if you can spare a minute, give a thought for him, in hospital. He’s not a religious chap, except when he remembers Stan on the Ball, or Dave Thomas on the wing, and how we cheered when we humbled Cologne in the Eufa cup, and neither am I, but I so want the miracle of another few years with him and will be praying tonight.

Thank you.
Dave

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 12:10 - Feb 21 with 3408 viewsPinnerPaul

Wonderful picture, wonderful thread
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 23:38 - Feb 24 with 3235 viewskillinaskully09

Hi Dave what is your dad's name and address?? Would like to mention him in my weekly newspaper column in Roscommon, Ireland. Sorry for your sad loss. U R's.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 03:02 - Feb 25 with 3197 viewsstowmarketrange

RIP to your dad Dave and condolences to you and your family at this sad time.
You can always console yourself with the fact that your dad is now at peace and you were there to see him off to a better place.
I was also there for my dad’s last few hours and it was a comfort for us to know that we were all there at the end of his life.I wasn’t as lucky when my mum went in 2004.

She was diagnosed with terminal cancer in Feb 2004,and lucky for us both i’d just taken voluntary redundancy and was able to look after her in her final few months.I used to travel from Suffolk to Bournemouth on Monday’s and stay until Friday afternoons and look after her.
I’d just gone to bed on a Friday night when I was woken up by our phone ringing at 1am.It was a paramedic in Dorset who was treating my mum for heart failure.
I know that my mum had said that she didn’t want to be resuscitated and kept alive,but telling that paramedic to not try to much to bring her back and keep her alive was the most distressing message I ever had to relay.
Would it have been selfishness on my part to tell him to keep her alive until I got there?Would it have been worse if i’d witnessed her dying such a horrible death?
I just told him to make her as comfortable as possible and not to try too hard to keep her going.She died a few minutes later surrounded by strangers and the next time I saw her was in the funeral home.
I always wonder if I did the right thing or not and I guess I’ll never know.But it was the worst and hardest choice I’ve ever had to make.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 03:40 - Feb 25 with 3191 viewsisawqpratwcity

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 03:02 - Feb 25 by stowmarketrange

You can always console yourself with the fact that your dad is now at peace and you were there to see him off to a better place.
I was also there for my dad’s last few hours and it was a comfort for us to know that we were all there at the end of his life.I wasn’t as lucky when my mum went in 2004.

She was diagnosed with terminal cancer in Feb 2004,and lucky for us both i’d just taken voluntary redundancy and was able to look after her in her final few months.I used to travel from Suffolk to Bournemouth on Monday’s and stay until Friday afternoons and look after her.
I’d just gone to bed on a Friday night when I was woken up by our phone ringing at 1am.It was a paramedic in Dorset who was treating my mum for heart failure.
I know that my mum had said that she didn’t want to be resuscitated and kept alive,but telling that paramedic to not try to much to bring her back and keep her alive was the most distressing message I ever had to relay.
Would it have been selfishness on my part to tell him to keep her alive until I got there?Would it have been worse if i’d witnessed her dying such a horrible death?
I just told him to make her as comfortable as possible and not to try too hard to keep her going.She died a few minutes later surrounded by strangers and the next time I saw her was in the funeral home.
I always wonder if I did the right thing or not and I guess I’ll never know.But it was the worst and hardest choice I’ve ever had to make.

Sometimes choices are lose-lose. But fwiw, I think you made the right call.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 18:14 - Feb 25 with 3057 viewslondonscottish

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 03:02 - Feb 25 by stowmarketrange

You deffo made the right call. Absolutely the kindest thing to do.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 18:32 - Feb 25 with 3042 viewsessextaxiboy

Absolutely the right call .

A last selfless act of love IMO

Respect to you......
[Post edited 25 Feb 2018 19:16]
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 03:54 - Feb 26 with 2969 viewsstowmarketrange

Thanks lads.After 14 years I’ve resigned myself to knowing that it was the best choice for her,and she was the most important person in that decision,but it was all too sudden and probably not the ending that we’d both been expecting.
Make sure you all enjoy the time you spend with your friends and families and make the time really count.Best wishes to you all.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 10:14 - Feb 26 with 2909 viewswestberksr

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 03:54 - Feb 26 by stowmarketrange

Thanks lads.After 14 years I’ve resigned myself to knowing that it was the best choice for her,and she was the most important person in that decision,but it was all too sudden and probably not the ending that we’d both been expecting.
Make sure you all enjoy the time you spend with your friends and families and make the time really count.Best wishes to you all.

you didn't make the decision mate; your lovely Mum had already done that.

You simply passed on her decision to the paramedics; which was both very brave and selfless.
Login to get fewer ads

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 08:04 - Mar 23 with 2807 viewsRangersDave

Hi chaps,

Sorry to dredge this thread up but I’d appreciate your thoughts if your able, at 2.30pm today, as finally dad gets his funeral at Mint Lynn crem. Very close to the hospital where he passed.

My son and I will be representing the rrrrrssss, with tie, socks, etc that are club branded, and we purchased a flag from the club shop for his coffin. (Contacted Rangers to try and lend a stadium one, but never even got an acknowledgement of our mails, I’m sad very to say).

I forgot to have ‘a kick up the rrrrrrrssss’ put in the coffin with him for some light reading, but one will be on his coffin as he’s cremated.

These last few weeks have been quite taxing as you can imagine, but at last the family gets closure to a degree.

Once again, before I sign off from this thread, can I thank each and everyone one of you, my QPR family, for your support.

Yes I would have gotten through this, but you all made it a damn site easier.

Urrrrrrrrrsssssssssss
Dave

Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 08:14 - Mar 23 with 2777 viewswestberksr

Really sorry to hear of the lack of response from the club.

I hope today passes as smoothly as you can hope for in giving your Dad his final send off.

Will spare a moment at the appropriate time.

Best wishes

WB
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 08:20 - Mar 23 with 2763 viewsdistortR

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 08:14 - Mar 23 by westberksr

Really sorry to hear of the lack of response from the club.

I hope today passes as smoothly as you can hope for in giving your Dad his final send off.

Will spare a moment at the appropriate time.

Best wishes

WB

seconded
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 08:23 - Mar 23 with 2756 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Take care today, Dave. Will be thinking of you.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 08:32 - Mar 23 with 2746 viewsCroydonCaptJack

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 08:04 - Mar 23 by RangersDave

Hi chaps,

Sorry to dredge this thread up but I’d appreciate your thoughts if your able, at 2.30pm today, as finally dad gets his funeral at Mint Lynn crem. Very close to the hospital where he passed.

My son and I will be representing the rrrrrssss, with tie, socks, etc that are club branded, and we purchased a flag from the club shop for his coffin. (Contacted Rangers to try and lend a stadium one, but never even got an acknowledgement of our mails, I’m sad very to say).

I forgot to have ‘a kick up the rrrrrrrssss’ put in the coffin with him for some light reading, but one will be on his coffin as he’s cremated.

These last few weeks have been quite taxing as you can imagine, but at last the family gets closure to a degree.

Once again, before I sign off from this thread, can I thank each and everyone one of you, my QPR family, for your support.

Urrrrrrrrrsssssssssss
Dave

I hope it goes as well as can be expected Dave.
I would say about half of the last dozen or so funerals I have been to have been at that place. I was born in Kings Lynn and a lot of my family still live there.

I am sure many of us will be thinking of you later today.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 08:39 - Mar 23 with 2741 viewspaulparker

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 08:04 - Mar 23 by RangersDave

Hi chaps,

Urrrrrrrrrsssssssssss
Dave

Terrible (actually disgusting) that the club cannot get back to you for a poxy flag dave or even acknowledge your email , hopefully someone from the club reads this forum

good luck with it mate , and give him a proper good send off ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 08:46 - Mar 23 with 2732 viewsNorthernr

Thoughts with you today Dave, horrible time.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 09:12 - Mar 23 with 2697 views2Thomas2Bowles

Will be thinking of you and your dad
RIP

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 10:07 - Mar 23 with 2655 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Difficult day...

But I'll lay money that actually, it will be a surprisingly positive and uplifting day for you, surrounded by your loved ones and people who loved and cared for your dad.

Which is why I wish you a really great day!

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 10:10 - Mar 23 with 2657 viewsqprphil

Many of us have been through it Dave. You will remember him for all the good things he gave you, and all the laughs that went with it. You sounded very close, I will be thinking about you, all the very best. You now have to live your life...
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 10:19 - Mar 23 with 2651 viewsstowmarketrange

Hi chaps,

Urrrrrrrrrsssssssssss
Dave

Best wishes to you and your family for today and in the future.Time is a great healer and sometime in the future you’ll be watching the Rangers game and smile about what your dad would say about that special goal or that stupid red card.
I know when Bobby scored in the 89th minute at Wembley me and my brother both looked up to the sky and knew our mum had somehow planned it that way.I just wish she’d made a sign about how much bloody injury time there was going to be.But I suppose that was the devil’s choice,or at least one of his disciples in lee mason.
Good luck mate.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 12:36 - Mar 23 with 2604 viewsMrSheen

Good luck, Dave. If your experience is like mine, you'll feel proud and satisfied, as well as relieved, at having done a good job for him.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 14:42 - Mar 23 with 2552 viewsterryb

I hope all went well Dave.

It is always good when the funeral actually arrives rather than remain in that period from their passing.

I enjoyed (probably not the correct word) both of my parents funerals once the service had been endured & they made facing the future easier.

Best wishes mate.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 15:38 - Mar 23 with 2505 viewskingsburyR

I hope it went as well as i could have done Dave.

God Bless your Dad.

May he rest in eternal peace.

You R'sssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 16:24 - Mar 23 with 2485 viewsnix

Thinking of you today Dave. Hope all went as well as it could have.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 10:05 - Mar 24 with 2373 viewsRangersDave

The day after.

Hi chaps, yesterday went exceedingly well thanks, and I’m pretty sure (never been spiritual in my life) that your thoughts and well wishes helped me hold it together and support my family who were equally devastated.
Dads coffin had a qpr club shop flag which we purchased over it, and his qpr baseball cap , that he wore practically everywhere on that.
At the end of the coffin, as a joke which was dad’s request hung a ‘do not disturb’ sign.

My son and I wore close to matching dark blue suits, but the QPR ties we both wore, shone in those sad times.

Mostly held myself together for the sake of the family, but today hurts like hell. Lots of tears, lots of remembering.

Thank you all for your love, well wishes and kindness, and I can never repay you for them but makes me even prouder to be part of this community.

Dads ashes will be scattered where my grandad and nans are at Amersham Crem next Saturday which I think, as Rangers wanted nothing to do with us, is fitting, rather than at HQ, although it would have been nice to have his ashes visit his ‘home’ once again even for a short visit.

He never stopped talking about the team, every time we spoke on the phone, always proud to have been a member of the family to carry on the legacy, (my son is I believe 6th to be a fan....going back...... son, me, grandad, great grandad, great great grandad, and great great great grandad), the last of which I found out yesterday was a sea captain in the latter half of the 1800’s.

It’s a shame his last visit to HQ didn’t get him to see the match as he burst his already grumbling appendix in the car as I pulled up at the ground. So his last 20 years he was HQ barren.
However I did get him into wenbley to see the final (thank you once again for getting me the tickets.... you know who you are) , and if you’ve ever seen the you tube game, dad and Richard are immortalised as the camera comes off Zamora onto a close up of the fans behind the goal.

4th row from front towards the left hand side. Richard said that when Bobby put it in, dad was, even at his age, the first one up on his feet to cheers.

Sitting here Gervinho, I think that’s enough to bore you all with, I cannot tell you how this hurts right now, and I’d give an arm to have him round for a few more weeks.

The world is full of great people, people who do heroic things or have been recognised for doing them in the past........... you guys and gals, are my hero’s right now.

I love each and everyone of you, my family.

Urrrrrrrrrrrrrsssss

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 12:29 - Mar 24 with 2340 viewsterryb

Thank you for that Dave.

Amersham Crem is also the resting place for my parent's ashes & the veuue for both funerals!

There were not too many Rangers fans in the Chesham/Amersham area when I moved away in 1974, but I believe the area is now quite populated with R's.

I also attended Kings Lynn Crem a few years back for the funeral of an ex work colleague, so the coincidence of crematorium's has had a moving effect on me this morning.

Best wishes to you Dave & all of your family.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024