Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
(Our) timewasting 20:44 - Jan 1 with 8366 viewsstainrods_elbow

Is anyone going to do the decent thing and call it out?

That's two bookings I think at least for Lumley now - one of the stupidest/most egregious offenders in the team, and possibly the most slow-mo keeper in the league when it comes to taking goal kicks or, well, doing anything, really. Presumably he'll be getting a ban at some stage, and I'll be interested to see what our manager has to say if/when he does.

13 minutes added on today is surely some kind of record. I know at least half of that was due to the aforementioned Lumley's injury, but that means the other half wasn't. When we're tired at the end of the 90 minutes after a really tough game like today, that could easily bite us on the bum. Today, we got away with it.

It's something when it starts at 60 minutes and amounts to a V-sign to the fans. We pay to be entertained, not to endure this kind of horrible gamesmanship. The managment team need to deal with it off the field, and the players on it - if not, referees need to start clamping down much harder. Going into the corners in the last couple of minutes is one thing, but for some reason it seems to have become utterly flagrant this season at this level.

We fans at HQ could take a lead by booing it loudly, including when we're ahead. But I'm not holding my breath. Though it was a very commendable point today, being dumped on by Villa fans calling us cheats sticks in the craw.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

(Our) timewasting on 22:26 - Jan 1 with 1907 viewsstowmarketrange

(Our) timewasting on 22:04 - Jan 1 by stainrods_elbow

God, but there are some cynical people on here. It seems for some the ends justify the means, whatever the means are.

I'm pretty sure that WAS Lumley's 2nd yellow this season - can some nerdy statistician confirm?

Don't get me wrong - I'm delighted with our point today, and most of our performance. But I don't buy or accept that we need to resort to such abject professionalism in the process. Being 'strong' and 'not being bullied' doesn't/shouldn't mean running down the clock at every opportunity and sticking two fingers up to fans in the process. A strong, skilful side doesn't need to do it - if anything, it makes a team look weak. And, get this, there's no contradiction between booing it if I see it, and supporting QPR.

Would those fans have felt cheated more by running the clock down or by playing the game and losing 3-2?
Would they have stayed behind and clapped the lads off the pitch for a gallant loss away from home,or gone home happy in the thought that they’d seen us get at a point at Villa?
Sorry mate but you’re living in a dream world if you think most fans would’ve been happier at going for it and losing 3-2.
(Our) timewasting on 22:41 - Jan 1 with 1862 viewsLadbrokeR

Booing our own team at home for time wasting is an excellent idea. Please could you talk us through how that will work.
(Our) timewasting on 22:45 - Jan 1 with 1847 viewscolinallcars

It's not unlike the old argument about would you prefer your team to play boring football and win or attractive football and lose. I would dismiss the comparison and say I want attractive football and win.
Until recently, teams would win matches without resorting to the kind of nonsense we are discussing. If it carries on we might as well pack up and go home because the game will be on a par with professional wrestling.
(Our) timewasting on 22:56 - Jan 1 with 1809 viewsLadbrokeR

Am I missing something we are away from home the crowd is 36k. Odija deliberately did lumleys face. We are playing a team with significant resources etc etc. Time wasting so what.
(Our) timewasting on 23:07 - Jan 1 with 1785 viewsstowmarketrange

(Our) timewasting on 22:45 - Jan 1 by colinallcars

It's not unlike the old argument about would you prefer your team to play boring football and win or attractive football and lose. I would dismiss the comparison and say I want attractive football and win.
Until recently, teams would win matches without resorting to the kind of nonsense we are discussing. If it carries on we might as well pack up and go home because the game will be on a par with professional wrestling.

We aren’t talking about parking the bus here like the scum did in 2012.We’re talking about protecting a precious point.We’d matched them for most of the game and we were playing the game as professionally as possible.
I guess some fans would’ve been happier to get 0 points out of the last 2 away games rather than the 4 points we did get if we would’ve played attacking football for 90+ mins for each game?
Or should we be the only ones who play in the championship without time wasting?
(Our) timewasting on 23:16 - Jan 1 with 1764 viewsA40Bosh

(Our) timewasting on 22:56 - Jan 1 by LadbrokeR

Am I missing something we are away from home the crowd is 36k. Odija deliberately did lumleys face. We are playing a team with significant resources etc etc. Time wasting so what.

We are also into 4th game of the busy Christmas period with pretty much the same team playing all the games throughout.

We have battled brilliantly to get ourselves a point and a 5th game without defeat so I would say the lads were knackered going in to 90+ mins, so fine by me to try and kill it see out the draw. Other do it to us every weeks.

Well done Rangers great battle today and an enjoyable game to watch.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

(Our) timewasting on 23:31 - Jan 1 with 1727 viewsqprd

(Our) timewasting on 22:26 - Jan 1 by stowmarketrange

Would those fans have felt cheated more by running the clock down or by playing the game and losing 3-2?
Would they have stayed behind and clapped the lads off the pitch for a gallant loss away from home,or gone home happy in the thought that they’d seen us get at a point at Villa?
Sorry mate but you’re living in a dream world if you think most fans would’ve been happier at going for it and losing 3-2.

Couldn’t agree more

Time wasting is a tactic to secure results. Clubs don’t do it bc they’re anti football. They do it because it increases your chances of getting a result

Fans are happier going home after securing a tough away point than when we were pissing away results like against Liverpool in the 94th minute
(Our) timewasting on 23:33 - Jan 1 with 1721 viewsPunteR

Taking the ball to the corner flags to hold on to points after 88 minutes or so is reasonable time wasting. I cant see how time wasting after 60 minutes helps anybody. If the opposition is building momentum and getting a foothold in the game, then breaking up that momentum is key. Slowing the game down is different to blatant time wasting isn't it?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

(Our) timewasting on 02:14 - Jan 2 with 1637 viewstimcocking

As far as i see it, time wasting to a normal degree is and always has been part of the game. 90 minutes is a long time to sprint. It has been getting much worse, though. The powers that be need to clamp down on it. No way you can blame our players for doing it back.

Generally speaking, i haven't seen QPR do that much time wasting anyway, though. Certainly not as much as other teams, certainly not enough for people to be posting about it every single week. Don't blame the messengers, blame the refs and the people who employ them and make the rules.

It is sh!t, hope they get rid of it. The time wasting and diving/shirt pulling has really made football less enjoyable.
(Our) timewasting on 08:07 - Jan 2 with 1510 viewsWestonsuperR

Agree with this. I’m all for a bit of gamesmanship but today we took it to new levels (not the Lumley incident but so much else). I understand we have been on the receiving end of similar tactics this season us so I guess this is what has driven this behaviour. I worry if this continues, at all clubs not just QPR, it could really begin to affect the watchability of a league that is popular and has been very good in recent years.

Not sure what can be done, maybe ref’s need to get tough earlier in the match.
(Our) timewasting on 08:35 - Jan 2 with 1480 viewstraininvain

Let’s have it right, we’re not excessively time wasting at home bar the odd taking the ball to the corner flag in injury time.

It was an away game against a much stronger team on paper after a hectic Christmas period with limited rest for the starting 11.

Our keeper was nearly ko’d by a cynical kick to the face which accounted for most of the so called ‘time wasting’.

Did we use breaks in the game to slow things down and grind out a hard earned point by killing Villa’s momentum?

We did but I’d say that’s sensible game management given the circumstances and we’re not doing anything different to every other team in the league when they visit Loftus Road and take the lead.

At the end of the day, do we want to be little old likeable naive QPR always getting beaten on our travels or would we prefer to see our team get results on the road even if that involves killing the game by occasionally running down the clock. I know which option i’ll choose!
(Our) timewasting on 08:39 - Jan 2 with 1477 viewsstowmarketrange

(Our) timewasting on 08:07 - Jan 2 by WestonsuperR

Agree with this. I’m all for a bit of gamesmanship but today we took it to new levels (not the Lumley incident but so much else). I understand we have been on the receiving end of similar tactics this season us so I guess this is what has driven this behaviour. I worry if this continues, at all clubs not just QPR, it could really begin to affect the watchability of a league that is popular and has been very good in recent years.

Not sure what can be done, maybe ref’s need to get tough earlier in the match.

By adding on 14 extra minutes,the ref did all he could to counter our time wasting.In the Hull home game they were doing the same thing,but the ref only added on about 4 or 5 mins,so he didn’t punish them at all,and they got away with it.
Villa were given the chance to make a difference yesterday.If the refs show consistency,it might stop it happening,but if some teams get away with it,it will continue.
(Our) timewasting on 08:59 - Jan 2 with 1432 viewsKonk

I'm with the OP. I don't have a problem with taking your time/running it into corners for the last few minutes when you're holding on in a game and under the cosh, but you now see teams taking a lead away from home after 10 minutes and then trying to run the clock down - it's an absolute pi ss take.

I'm the same with 'tactical' fouling/rotating players fouling a key opponent. We employed a bit of that last season, and I'm sure we benefitted from being a bit more 'cute', but it doesn't sit easy with me. Just because other teams are being cu nts, doesn't mean I want my side to join them. There's enough that winds my up about football, without watching time-wasting, diving, 'tactical' fouling every two minutes. Just makes me want to stay at home.

And I hate that it's all become normalised. No-one really has a pop at cheats these days - it's just taken that everyone's at it and a sign of being smart. I love Danny Murphy, but every week on MOTD, he'll be excusing diving, fouls to break up breaks from the opposition etc as legitimate. Horrible.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

(Our) timewasting on 09:11 - Jan 2 with 1415 viewsNorthernr

We really were taking the pis yesterday. Preston levels of nonsense.
(Our) timewasting on 09:14 - Jan 2 with 1407 viewsstowmarketrange

(Our) timewasting on 09:11 - Jan 2 by Northernr

We really were taking the pis yesterday. Preston levels of nonsense.

And the ref added on enough time to counter that p@ss taking.Its when they don’t That the cheats get away with it.
(Our) timewasting on 09:20 - Jan 2 with 1391 viewsNorthernr

(Our) timewasting on 09:14 - Jan 2 by stowmarketrange

And the ref added on enough time to counter that p@ss taking.Its when they don’t That the cheats get away with it.

I don't think he did personally. Lumley was down for eight minutes by my count and he added 11. So he's saying two goals, six subs, Wszolek fannying about sitting down, getting up again, sitting down again, Furlong collapsing to the ground trying to get the game stopped, is worth three minutes?

I was expecting 15 minutes added yesterday and we couldn't have complained about it if he had done.
(Our) timewasting on 09:20 - Jan 2 with 1391 viewsrobith

As a small correction to the OP, we do not pay to be entertained. We pay to watch a competition, which teams are trying to win. People often derive entertainment from that, though not often at this level. But this not a Tina Turner concert where you can complain if she doesn't play Nutbush City Limits.

With that said, our egregious time wasting makes me despair and reflects poorly on us as competitors. It's also ineffective - the best way to safely kill time is to maintain possession of the ball.
(Our) timewasting on 09:25 - Jan 2 with 1374 viewsstowmarketrange

(Our) timewasting on 09:20 - Jan 2 by Northernr

I don't think he did personally. Lumley was down for eight minutes by my count and he added 11. So he's saying two goals, six subs, Wszolek fannying about sitting down, getting up again, sitting down again, Furlong collapsing to the ground trying to get the game stopped, is worth three minutes?

I was expecting 15 minutes added yesterday and we couldn't have complained about it if he had done.

Lumley was down for 6 1/2 minutes and he actually played 14 minutes according to the bbc live text.
I taped it on the red button and watched it last night.He went down on 47mins and 40secs.The free kick was taken on 54mins and 10secs.That is 7 1/2 mins plus for the rest of it.
(Our) timewasting on 10:06 - Jan 2 with 1324 viewsfrancisbowles

Professional approach. Game management. We give ourselves a better chance of seeing out games.

If you don't think we need to do it, then remember all those games where we couldn't hold onto a lead.

Also see thread on Christmas period.....our best for years.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 11:01]
(Our) timewasting on 10:30 - Jan 2 with 1285 viewsRangers67

Long may the time wasting continue. Up until recently we have been mugs enough to not time waste only to see the opposition do it over and over if they went in front. And because of the general low standard and gutlessness of the referees they have got away with it. I don,t like it but if you don,t do it then we are the mugs. Until the FA do something about it then we should carry on.
(Our) timewasting on 10:34 - Jan 2 with 1280 viewsdaveB

I'm not a fan of the timewasting but I'm also not a fan of us losing every week away from home. Slowing the game down, frustrating the opposition is what all teams who are good away from home do so well. We took the piss yesterday and I'd have been fuming if I supported Villa but we moaned at QPR for not being as clever as Preston last season now moaning when we are doing the same thing
(Our) timewasting on 11:01 - Jan 2 with 1229 viewsNorthernr

(Our) timewasting on 10:34 - Jan 2 by daveB

I'm not a fan of the timewasting but I'm also not a fan of us losing every week away from home. Slowing the game down, frustrating the opposition is what all teams who are good away from home do so well. We took the piss yesterday and I'd have been fuming if I supported Villa but we moaned at QPR for not being as clever as Preston last season now moaning when we are doing the same thing

This is fair. We're not a soft touch any more and I'm all in favour of that.
Player at another club was telling a mutual friend recently that QPR are "hard" this season. Which is overdue. And I like.
(Our) timewasting on 11:11 - Jan 2 with 1191 viewsrobith

(Our) timewasting on 11:01 - Jan 2 by Northernr

This is fair. We're not a soft touch any more and I'm all in favour of that.
Player at another club was telling a mutual friend recently that QPR are "hard" this season. Which is overdue. And I like.

Given he seems such a nice man, it's slightly strange that one thing McClaren has done has toughened up that underbelly.

Wonder how much personnel plays a role too - Toni clearly sets the tone for the back 4, and Wells is a right niggly pain in the backside up top
(Our) timewasting on 11:14 - Jan 2 with 1184 viewscolinallcars

(Our) timewasting on 10:30 - Jan 2 by Rangers67

Long may the time wasting continue. Up until recently we have been mugs enough to not time waste only to see the opposition do it over and over if they went in front. And because of the general low standard and gutlessness of the referees they have got away with it. I don,t like it but if you don,t do it then we are the mugs. Until the FA do something about it then we should carry on.

I've modified my opinion slightly. You are right, if other teams do it we might as well doit as well. The ball is firmly in the FA's court - it's up to them to stamp it out and apply sanctions to all sides that use these tactics. I hope it's sooner rather than later.
(Our) timewasting on 11:15 - Jan 2 with 1175 viewsPinnerPaul

(Our) timewasting on 21:51 - Jan 1 by stowmarketrange

I thought it was 5 yellows before Christmas and then 10 before Easter to get a ban?
When other teams start getting clamped down on for time wasting then i’ll start worrying about it.Hull wasted as much as we did today but got away with it.
We’ve been punished by the refs over the last 2 away games by adding on a lot of extra time.I can deal with that IF it’s applied to every team who blatantly waste time.It hasnt been so far this season so far.

But he didn't add on loads yesterday for the time wasting

6 - Lumley injury
2 - Pav injuries
2 - Subs
1 - Goal celebrations

That's the 11, plus a couple on the 11 for subs, maybe 1 of those for more time wasting, but its hardly adding loads on is it?

I DO agree refs could do more - both adding time on and using the laws, but as I've said before the new mantra from FIFA/IFAB is that we are suppose to referee what 'football expects'.

No one wants/expects players to be sent off for time wasting nor for matches to regularly have 10 minutes added to each half. Likewise no one wants to see every throw taken form EXCACTLY where it went our or for freekicks to be given when GKs fail to release the ball after 6 seconds.

A good example is two law changes being considered for next season

1) Handball - possibly changed to its handball if you gain an advantage from it - that's what most think the law is now! - hence the change

2) Free kick having to leave the area - some don't even know this exists - hence the change.

As I've said before its perfectly possible to referee a match to the letter of the law, but

a) You would be screaming at the referee after about 10 mins and

b) The game would be much slower than a Lumley goal kick!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024