Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
(Our) timewasting 20:44 - Jan 1 with 8367 viewsstainrods_elbow

Is anyone going to do the decent thing and call it out?

That's two bookings I think at least for Lumley now - one of the stupidest/most egregious offenders in the team, and possibly the most slow-mo keeper in the league when it comes to taking goal kicks or, well, doing anything, really. Presumably he'll be getting a ban at some stage, and I'll be interested to see what our manager has to say if/when he does.

13 minutes added on today is surely some kind of record. I know at least half of that was due to the aforementioned Lumley's injury, but that means the other half wasn't. When we're tired at the end of the 90 minutes after a really tough game like today, that could easily bite us on the bum. Today, we got away with it.

It's something when it starts at 60 minutes and amounts to a V-sign to the fans. We pay to be entertained, not to endure this kind of horrible gamesmanship. The managment team need to deal with it off the field, and the players on it - if not, referees need to start clamping down much harder. Going into the corners in the last couple of minutes is one thing, but for some reason it seems to have become utterly flagrant this season at this level.

We fans at HQ could take a lead by booing it loudly, including when we're ahead. But I'm not holding my breath. Though it was a very commendable point today, being dumped on by Villa fans calling us cheats sticks in the craw.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

(Our) timewasting on 11:19 - Jan 2 with 1414 viewsNorthernr

(Our) timewasting on 11:11 - Jan 2 by robith

Given he seems such a nice man, it's slightly strange that one thing McClaren has done has toughened up that underbelly.

Wonder how much personnel plays a role too - Toni clearly sets the tone for the back 4, and Wells is a right niggly pain in the backside up top

Leistner's a hard bastrd. I still can't get over Kodija, in the first meeting, belting the ball at him at half time. I mean of all the people he could have picked!
(Our) timewasting on 11:19 - Jan 2 with 1413 viewsPinnerPaul

(Our) timewasting on 23:33 - Jan 1 by PunteR

Taking the ball to the corner flags to hold on to points after 88 minutes or so is reasonable time wasting. I cant see how time wasting after 60 minutes helps anybody. If the opposition is building momentum and getting a foothold in the game, then breaking up that momentum is key. Slowing the game down is different to blatant time wasting isn't it?

Its sort of the same thing though isn't it?

Often at LR when we've scored the first goal, Bidwell/Furlong will take longer over a throw than they did at 0-0.

That's not really time wasting, its slowing the game down and following the obvious logic that the other team can't score if you have the ball.

However, still 1-0 up, 5 mins to go they will do the same and that IS 'running down the clock' - difficult to penalise one and not the other.
(Our) timewasting on 11:23 - Jan 2 with 1400 viewsPinnerPaul

Also those taking the high ground?

What was Abraham doing, telling our physio and Lumley to get on with it?!

He knew that JL needed as much time as possible to recover & that it would be to he and his team's advantage to get the game going while Joe wasn't at 100%

Hardly 'fair' or 'sporting' is it? But Joe is supposed to ignore that and not take his time?

You're living in dreamland if you think he will carry on 'as normal' after Abraham's antics.
(Our) timewasting on 11:28 - Jan 2 with 1384 viewsRangersw12

For years we would get bullied and have our tummy tickled away from home yet now we have a bit about us and are picking up points !

This is massive culture shift and one that I hope continues
(Our) timewasting on 11:34 - Jan 2 with 1369 viewsWadR

Thought our timewasting was the most egregious I'd seen since Mark Bunn spent over a minute for every single goal kick for Villa against us a couple of seasons ago.

I'm not a fan of it at all but the same shitehouse tactics are used by every club now. Changes need to be made to the laws of the game to give referees more agency to curb it or there needs to a serious look at using a stop clock in football and playing ~60 minute games.

The latter obviously opens up to further americanisation of televised football with adverts every couple of minutes but would make Lumley/Furlong/Wszolek's game management significantly less effective.
(Our) timewasting on 11:57 - Jan 2 with 1333 viewsPunteR

(Our) timewasting on 11:19 - Jan 2 by PinnerPaul

Often at LR when we've scored the first goal, Bidwell/Furlong will take longer over a throw than they did at 0-0.

That's not really time wasting, its slowing the game down and following the obvious logic that the other team can't score if you have the ball.

However, still 1-0 up, 5 mins to go they will do the same and that IS 'running down the clock' - difficult to penalise one and not the other.

If your 1 nil up and the oppo is getting back into the game then its controlling the tempo of the game. If your 1 nil up and playing well then its wasting time. I guess.
A lot of sport is about mind games as well.

Maybe there should be more emphasis on goals rather than points. Extra points per goal or something? would make teams go for it more possibly?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

(Our) timewasting on 11:59 - Jan 2 with 1326 viewstoboboly

(Our) timewasting on 21:56 - Jan 1 by stainrods_elbow

I do - and wasn't talking about them. I'm talking about my club playing the game the way it should be played.

By your logic, during the rioting in London, I presume you were down the high street to nick yourself a widescreen TV because all the street kids were at it?

Ha! Great analogy. Tbf it sorted my Xmas presents for the whole family.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

(Our) timewasting on 12:01 - Jan 2 with 1324 viewsWatford_Ranger

(Our) timewasting on 11:15 - Jan 2 by PinnerPaul

But he didn't add on loads yesterday for the time wasting

6 - Lumley injury
2 - Pav injuries
2 - Subs
1 - Goal celebrations

That's the 11, plus a couple on the 11 for subs, maybe 1 of those for more time wasting, but its hardly adding loads on is it?

I DO agree refs could do more - both adding time on and using the laws, but as I've said before the new mantra from FIFA/IFAB is that we are suppose to referee what 'football expects'.

No one wants/expects players to be sent off for time wasting nor for matches to regularly have 10 minutes added to each half. Likewise no one wants to see every throw taken form EXCACTLY where it went our or for freekicks to be given when GKs fail to release the ball after 6 seconds.

A good example is two law changes being considered for next season

1) Handball - possibly changed to its handball if you gain an advantage from it - that's what most think the law is now! - hence the change

2) Free kick having to leave the area - some don't even know this exists - hence the change.

As I've said before its perfectly possible to referee a match to the letter of the law, but

a) You would be screaming at the referee after about 10 mins and

b) The game would be much slower than a Lumley goal kick!

On rule 2 above, what is the point of that rule? Just out of interest I don’t see who it benefits. Guess it was from pre-passback rule days.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2019 12:02]
Login to get fewer ads

(Our) timewasting on 12:11 - Jan 2 with 1289 viewsPunteR

".. the new mantra from FIFA/IFAB is that we are suppose to referee what 'football expects'. That's a surprising comment to me. There does seem to be a lot more grey areas in football than other sports and maybe its because of the referees mantra.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

(Our) timewasting on 12:15 - Jan 2 with 1282 viewsHAYESBOY

(Our) timewasting on 11:19 - Jan 2 by Northernr

Leistner's a hard bastrd. I still can't get over Kodija, in the first meeting, belting the ball at him at half time. I mean of all the people he could have picked!

To be fair he was aiming for someone else....

Smells like a trout farm in here

(Our) timewasting on 12:40 - Jan 2 with 1204 viewsRblockPrior

If i helps us to continue to get results away from home, may it long continue. I see no problem in it, for so many years we have been caught out by not being clever in the last 10/15 minutes, now we control a game a lot better

Poll: Of the 3 linked away, who do you think will still be a QPR player come February?

(Our) timewasting on 13:05 - Jan 2 with 1142 viewsfrancisbowles

(Our) timewasting on 12:01 - Jan 2 by Watford_Ranger

On rule 2 above, what is the point of that rule? Just out of interest I don’t see who it benefits. Guess it was from pre-passback rule days.

It was drilled into us as kids. With the heavy balls around in the late sixties as nine year olds we struggled to kick it that far!

I also remember learning at great length what a foul throw was and how the ball had to travel it's full circumference forward at the kick off.

The last one now changed, which is strange to watch and what has it gained?
(Our) timewasting on 13:40 - Jan 2 with 1080 viewsBklynRanger

I know it wasn't good but I don't know that I thought it was quite as bad as a lot of other people obviously do. Lumley was genuinely fcuked up by that kick in the face and was always going to need a bit of time to collect himself afterwards, and probably for the rest of the match - so I think he did the right thing - except for when he caught the ball and then went needlessly to ground - that was a bit embarassing and really should stop.

Pav seemed to feel that he'd been fouled on the ankle and part of his sitting down twice looked like a protest as much as anything else. Furs does take his time with those throws but fair enough.
(Our) timewasting on 13:48 - Jan 2 with 1071 viewsJamesB1979

I don’t really get why it matters whether yo do it in 60th or 85th minute. If we were losing at villa park with 5 mins to go, would they go into the corners?? Of course they would. There’s no point taking the high ground if everyone else does it.
(Our) timewasting on 14:05 - Jan 2 with 1048 viewsTheChef

I don't like it either, but enough teams do it to us so we're within our rights to do it to other teams if refs aren't prepared to clamp down on it.

As that old Victorian saying goes, "hate the game, not the playa."

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

(Our) timewasting on 14:55 - Jan 2 with 978 viewsjonno

(Our) timewasting on 11:01 - Jan 2 by Northernr

This is fair. We're not a soft touch any more and I'm all in favour of that.
Player at another club was telling a mutual friend recently that QPR are "hard" this season. Which is overdue. And I like.

That's very good to hear.
(Our) timewasting on 15:02 - Jan 2 with 961 viewsPinnerPaul

(Our) timewasting on 12:01 - Jan 2 by Watford_Ranger

You know what - you're right - no idea.

No reason on earth that I can think of why GK has to leave the area either.

I'll ask on 'Ref Chat' - someone on there will come up with the answer!
(Our) timewasting on 16:09 - Jan 2 with 875 viewsNW5Hoop

(Our) timewasting on 11:19 - Jan 2 by PinnerPaul

We actually were wasting time from the first goal onwards at home against Boro. Time wasting, at home, after five minutes. That drove me nearly bloody spare.

I understand why people don't want to condemn it when the team are getting results, but to see people applauding it seems a bit odd. I don't blame our players when the whole division is doing it, but it really is ruining matches as spectacles. The FA has to issue guidance to refs on it, because it is getting ridiculous now, in a way it never was until very recently.
(Our) timewasting on 16:32 - Jan 2 with 827 viewsstowmarketrange

(Our) timewasting on 16:09 - Jan 2 by NW5Hoop

We actually were wasting time from the first goal onwards at home against Boro. Time wasting, at home, after five minutes. That drove me nearly bloody spare.

I understand why people don't want to condemn it when the team are getting results, but to see people applauding it seems a bit odd. I don't blame our players when the whole division is doing it, but it really is ruining matches as spectacles. The FA has to issue guidance to refs on it, because it is getting ridiculous now, in a way it never was until very recently.

I agree with you mate,despite my approval of it yesterday.I would be happy if no team were allowed to do it,but until they clamp down on every club doing it,I’m happy that my club did it well enough yesterday to keep a point.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024