Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gareth Ainsworth 10:23 - Apr 30 with 16359 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Now 1/3 favourite to be our new manager

Let’s Rock and Roll
Gareth Ainsworth on 13:13 - May 1 with 2969 viewsfrancisbowles

Gareth Ainsworth on 11:05 - May 1 by CamberleyR

2008, the first of his caretaker spells after Dowie was sacked.

Thank you Camberley.

So I wouldn't hold a lineup against him from a match eleven years ago. Think he has managed a few hundred games since then.

He may not be the best qualified candidate, Jacket probably is but may not come even if Portsmouth don't go up. Also with them being in the playoffs, if we are waiting to see what happens, it delays our appointment and therefore our preparations for next season.

Warburton has more experience at a higher level but has been out of the game for a while and may not be willing to work within the parameters set by the club.
Gareth Ainsworth on 13:27 - May 1 with 2857 viewsridethewave

Gareth Ainsworth on 17:45 - Apr 30 by SimonJames

Irrespective of the lack of resources he's had to deal with, in a 7 season spell he's only finished in the top half of the table 3 times, avoided relegation from the leagues based on goal difference, has only achieved one promotion (via playoffs), and is currently 6 places below Joey Barton.
I don't see how that equips him to rescue the basket case that is QPR.

I don't think you can say, "irrespective of the lack of resources he's had", and then go on to say everything else you've said as if the two aren't linked. All those points you raise are likely a direct result of the lack of resources, not something "irrespective" of them.
Gareth Ainsworth on 13:36 - May 1 with 2808 viewsSimonJames

Gareth Ainsworth on 13:27 - May 1 by ridethewave

I don't think you can say, "irrespective of the lack of resources he's had", and then go on to say everything else you've said as if the two aren't linked. All those points you raise are likely a direct result of the lack of resources, not something "irrespective" of them.

The point being, where in any of that does he have the credentials to turn us into a top Championship side pushing for promotion?
We cannot afford to have another season of gambling on someone who doesn't have a winning track record at or near to Championship standard.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Gareth Ainsworth on 13:41 - May 1 with 2771 viewsridethewave

Gareth Ainsworth on 08:02 - May 1 by TheChef

Exactly, these are odds from betting companies, what do they know?

Ainsworth doing a very good job at Wycombe and has been given plenty of time there, which we all know he's unlikely to get at Loftus Road. Hate to say it, but appointing a League One manager is most likely to lead to...League One.

Should Portsmouth fail in the play offs, then I would still be doing everything to get Kenny Jackett back at Loftus Road.

"appointing a League One manager is most likely to lead to...League One"

"Should Portsmouth fail in the play offs, then I would still be doing everything to get Kenny Jackett back at Loftus Road."

Bit contradictory?

I would go for Jacket as well though, or Warburton.
[Post edited 1 May 2019 13:45]
Gareth Ainsworth on 14:48 - May 1 with 2625 viewsMatch82

Gareth Ainsworth on 13:36 - May 1 by SimonJames

The point being, where in any of that does he have the credentials to turn us into a top Championship side pushing for promotion?
We cannot afford to have another season of gambling on someone who doesn't have a winning track record at or near to Championship standard.

"does he have the credentials to turn us into a top Championship side pushing for promotion?"

I would be surprised and worried if this is the remit, at least in the next year.
Gareth Ainsworth on 15:02 - May 1 with 2602 viewsPinnerPaul

Gareth Ainsworth on 22:51 - Apr 30 by PunteR

I've got mixed feelings on this. On the one hand he is a top bloke, hardworking , down to earth sort of fella who is a QPR legend.
On the other i don't think his football managing credentials stack up to what we really need.
I also don't want to tarnish his reputation as we have done with Ollie.
Does it ever work out when a former players and club legends goes back to manage..? I can't think of one. ?
If he gets the job i will 100% back him though.

Edit. Can i 100% back him after saying that.??
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 23:09]

Gerry F did OK
Gareth Ainsworth on 15:05 - May 1 with 2596 viewsPinnerPaul

Gareth Ainsworth on 08:02 - May 1 by TheChef

Exactly, these are odds from betting companies, what do they know?

Ainsworth doing a very good job at Wycombe and has been given plenty of time there, which we all know he's unlikely to get at Loftus Road. Hate to say it, but appointing a League One manager is most likely to lead to...League One.

Should Portsmouth fail in the play offs, then I would still be doing everything to get Kenny Jackett back at Loftus Road.

who is also a league one manager last time I looked!
Gareth Ainsworth on 15:47 - May 1 with 2507 viewskensalriser

If Gaz hadn't played for QPR literally no-one would be suggesting him for next manager. An affinity to the club is nice but in the end we need to be a lot smarter than that in assessing a candidate.

Can't help feeling that the last half dozen appointees have been selected on the basis of fitting a profile over and above the candidate's individual qualities.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Gareth Ainsworth on 16:37 - May 1 with 2426 viewsTheChef

Gareth Ainsworth on 15:05 - May 1 by PinnerPaul

who is also a league one manager last time I looked!

But has decent Championship experience compared to Ainsworth, as pointed out to the other pedants trying to poke holes in my argument.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Gareth Ainsworth on 16:49 - May 1 with 2389 viewsPunteR

Gareth Ainsworth on 15:02 - May 1 by PinnerPaul

Gerry F did OK

True dat.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Gareth Ainsworth on 16:56 - May 1 with 2361 viewssimmo

Said it already but this is a managerial version of Bircham for me. In League One he's either fought (successfully) against relegation or out-performed his expectations by flirting with the play-offs. He has a lower league 2 budget and he got them promoted and kept them safe. His signings have almost exclusively been kids, free agents or loans and he's developed a good few lads that he's sold for money.

He knows a couple of players already, is aware of the club and it's many many many deficiencies, would happily work under the restrictions we're going to impose and would start things off with instant credit. He's also got some personality and charisma, which is actually more important to QPR fans than people think.

I don't know if he'd be my absolute first choice and we're in danger of just returning to what we know which the board decided they didn't like with Olly, but I don't see why amongst the names mentioned, this wouldn't be a good choice.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Gareth Ainsworth on 16:58 - May 1 with 2352 viewsdaveB

Do any of the candidates fit that bill?

I think Klopp would struggle to turn us into a side pushing for promotion
Gareth Ainsworth on 17:09 - May 1 with 2314 viewsPinnerPaul

Gareth Ainsworth on 16:58 - May 1 by daveB

Do any of the candidates fit that bill?

I think Klopp would struggle to turn us into a side pushing for promotion

Agree there Dave.

Hard to see anyone getting us in the top half.
Gareth Ainsworth on 17:12 - May 1 with 2298 viewsPunteR

Gareth Ainsworth on 17:09 - May 1 by PinnerPaul

Agree there Dave.

Brilliant . so that's that then. Looking forward to next season already...

Gareth Ainsworth on 17:14 - May 1 with 2287 viewsPinnerPaul

Gareth Ainsworth on 17:12 - May 1 by PunteR

Brilliant . so that's that then. Looking forward to next season already...

Just being realistic.

At least I'm not trotting out 'Happy with 21st' nonsense!
Gareth Ainsworth on 18:11 - May 1 with 2100 viewsPunteR

Gareth Ainsworth on 17:14 - May 1 by PinnerPaul

Just being realistic.

At least I'm not trotting out 'Happy with 21st' nonsense!

Is it nonsense though?

Gareth Ainsworth on 18:26 - May 1 with 2043 viewsPinnerPaul

Gareth Ainsworth on 18:11 - May 1 by PunteR

Is it nonsense though?

It is if you say you're 'happy' with it, have 'realistic' expectations then go into melt down every time we lose - which will be quite often if we're bumbling around 21st place!
Gareth Ainsworth on 18:59 - May 1 with 1958 viewsSimonJames

Gareth Ainsworth on 14:48 - May 1 by Match82

"does he have the credentials to turn us into a top Championship side pushing for promotion?"

I would be surprised and worried if this is the remit, at least in the next year.

So what should his remit be exactly?

Since we've got relegated:
- under JFH we finished 12th
- under Ollie we ended up 18th & 16th
- under SM (and Eustace) we'll likely finish 19th

The revenue is drying up and the gap between the haves (Premiership and those teams who bounce in and out of it) and the have nots is growing larger.
So are we planning to hire a first team coach with a remit of "it's all still going to sh1t so just do your best old son..."?

Or maybe we could do something "radical" like try to appoint a coach/manager with a good record of progression - such as Chris Wilder. Surely there must be more like him out there somewhere.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Gareth Ainsworth on 19:02 - May 1 with 1952 viewsRangersw12

Gareth Ainsworth on 17:09 - May 1 by PinnerPaul

Agree there Dave.

McClaren should of done with the resources he spent on the loan signings
Gareth Ainsworth on 14:23 - May 2 with 1594 viewsBuckR

Gareth Ainsworth on 19:02 - May 1 by Rangersw12

McClaren should of done with the resources he spent on the loan signings

He is returning to Loftus Road........... for a charity game

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/gareth-ainsworth-returning-to-qpr-for-selle

interesting timing! On a side note just so people know how limited his resources are at WW he is still registered as a player just in case!
Gareth Ainsworth on 15:24 - May 2 with 1467 viewsAntti_Heinola

Whoever does that will need to be given three years minimum.
With our fans and our owners, that ain't ever going to happen.

Bare bones.

Gareth Ainsworth on 15:32 - May 2 with 1419 viewsbosh67

Sounds like Darren Moore is considering other options. Either that or he has accepted the job, know what we are like and is looking at his next job before he actually starts this one.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Gareth Ainsworth on 15:57 - May 2 with 1324 viewsHooped_Pullie

Gareth Ainsworth on 14:23 - May 2 by BuckR

He is returning to Loftus Road........... for a charity game

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/gareth-ainsworth-returning-to-qpr-for-selle

interesting timing! On a side note just so people know how limited his resources are at WW he is still registered as a player just in case!

Yes...I wonder. Two of the top three news spots on the offish are Gareth-related - it may be coincidence, or it may be significant.

I think we'll find out soon. BTW, the bloke who's taken over from Mick Harford at Lootown today will be one to watch. Could do a Chris Wilder there.
Gareth Ainsworth on 15:59 - May 2 with 1321 viewsrsonist

Going by strategies past:

Ainsworth is more sane Ollie (in the good way)
Sherwood is a Spurs Ollie (in the bad way)
Warburton is a more Championship McClaren
Moore is a more present/immediate Ramsey
Bowyer is possibly a very young Warnock
Gareth Ainsworth on 16:00 - May 2 with 1313 viewsPinnerPaul

He's back in W12 - says the offy ………..but for a 'charity' event!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024