Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Badly Designed Objects 11:03 - Jul 12 with 3832 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Oven gloves.

Never found any that isn’t bettered by a tea towel.
Badly Designed Objects on 15:05 - Jul 12 with 1504 viewsPinnerPaul

Biscuit packaging.

Cunningly designed so that however you open , you always end up breaking at least one!
Badly Designed Objects on 15:28 - Jul 12 with 1474 viewsCliff

Badly Designed Objects on 15:05 - Jul 12 by PinnerPaul

Biscuit packaging.

Cunningly designed so that however you open , you always end up breaking at least one!

Cunningly designed so that when you open them you feel guilt for breaking the already broken biscuits they place at each end of the packet rather than throwing them out at the factory.
Badly Designed Objects on 16:19 - Jul 12 with 1423 viewsEsox_Lucius

Oven gloves??? How very dare you? These have cult status.

The grass is always greener.

Badly Designed Objects on 20:47 - Jul 12 with 1340 viewsCiderwithRsie

Badly Designed Objects on 12:36 - Jul 12 by Konk

This tip changed my life: at either end of the clingfilm box, is a bit that you push in, which holds the roll in place and makes it a doddle to use. Pointing this out to people has become my new party trick - nobody knows about it. Must be very frustrating for the designer.

Nah, tried that, the poxy boxes are rubbish and fall apart.

Possibly not on the hand-crafted cling film that comes in mahogany boxes as used by Fulham fans, I suppose.
Badly Designed Objects on 21:04 - Jul 12 with 1319 viewsted_hendrix

W ankel rotary engine.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Badly Designed Objects (n/t) on 21:29 - Jul 12 with 1299 viewsRamseyR

[Post edited 12 Jul 2019 21:30]
Badly Designed Objects on 21:30 - Jul 12 with 1296 viewsRamseyR

Badly Designed Objects on 16:19 - Jul 12 by Esox_Lucius

Oven gloves??? How very dare you? These have cult status.

If you'd have told me whilst in the Moonlight Club in West Hampstead watching Joy Division, that almost 40 years later I could buy some Joy Division oven gloves, I'd have told you to fcuk right off.....but with the passing of time....I actually quite covet a pair of those
Badly Designed Objects on 21:38 - Jul 12 with 1287 viewscolinallcars

I think the CD case takes some beating as a poor design
Login to get fewer ads

Badly Designed Objects on 22:17 - Jul 12 with 1248 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Headboards.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Badly Designed Objects on 22:32 - Jul 12 with 1231 viewsFDC

Badly Designed Objects on 12:36 - Jul 12 by Konk

This tip changed my life: at either end of the clingfilm box, is a bit that you push in, which holds the roll in place and makes it a doddle to use. Pointing this out to people has become my new party trick - nobody knows about it. Must be very frustrating for the designer.

Not only do we have multiple Modern Life Is Rubbish threads on the go, but we're repeating content. I've defo seen this tip on here before. (It is a game-changer to be fair)
Badly Designed Objects on 22:36 - Jul 12 with 1222 viewsFDC

Badly Designed Objects on 21:38 - Jul 12 by colinallcars

Now that CDs are obsolete what do the young guns pass round lines of whatever drugs they're taking on these days?
Badly Designed Objects on 22:39 - Jul 12 with 1221 viewsJuzzie

Badly Designed Objects on 21:38 - Jul 12 by colinallcars

Only because people use them incorrectly!

The amount of times I've seen people try to open them with their thumb on the right edge.
This forces the ends to grip into the case and make it difficult to open.

Hold the ends with thumb and forefinger and it opens easily.

Taking the disc out just needs a finger to push the rosette in the middle and the disc pops out.
Trying to take the disc out but pulling at its edge just grips onto the rosette.
Badly Designed Objects on 12:48 - Jul 13 with 1136 viewsisawqpratwcity

Badly Designed Objects on 22:39 - Jul 12 by Juzzie

The amount of times I've seen people try to open them with their thumb on the right edge.

Taking the disc out just needs a finger to push the rosette in the middle and the disc pops out.
Trying to take the disc out but pulling at its edge just grips onto the rosette.

Well done, Mr ILoveCDs. The case is just the beginning of the problems. Never mind a scratched LP, CDs give up the ghost at the most inconspicuous damage.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Badly Designed Objects on 12:56 - Jul 13 with 1130 viewstoboboly

Badly Designed Objects on 22:39 - Jul 12 by Juzzie

The rosette (learnt a new word there) is somehow always broken in transit!

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Badly Designed Objects on 12:56 - Jul 13 with 1129 viewstoboboly

Badly Designed Objects on 13:26 - Jul 12 by Dorse

Speed bumps: absolute garbage. If anything, they make you go slower.

Unless you’re my mrs

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Badly Designed Objects on 15:22 - Jul 13 with 1071 viewscolinallcars

Badly Designed Objects on 12:48 - Jul 13 by isawqpratwcity

Well done, Mr ILoveCDs. The case is just the beginning of the problems. Never mind a scratched LP, CDs give up the ghost at the most inconspicuous damage.

When CDs were introduced, they were marketed as “ perfect sound forever” it soon became clear they were far from perfect sound and quite easily damaged. They sound better now if played in a high end CD player, much better than the streamed rubbish that many listen to. There seems to be an assumption that their days are numbered but lots of people still like owning a physical product and appreciate the sound quality.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2019 8:48]
Badly Designed Objects on 15:27 - Jul 13 with 1065 viewsqprxtc

Badly Designed Objects on 14:53 - Jul 12 by Boston

I’ve never sat down in a bra, sort of hammock I presume, I’ll give it a go when I get home.

Bollo(ks. Get in the way, painful when bashed and bloomin ugly.
Badly Designed Objects on 22:05 - Jul 13 with 935 viewsCiderwithRsie

Badly Designed Objects on 15:27 - Jul 13 by qprxtc

Bollo(ks. Get in the way, painful when bashed and bloomin ugly.

The whole human body could do with a re-design. Always quite liked the Two Ronnies idea of an extra eye on the end of your finger so that you could look round corners.

Also: why did they phase out the prehensile tail? Bloody useful thing and would add to football, as the keeper sent the wrong way in a penalty shoot-out tips the shot over the bar with his tail. If the opposing striker misses a sitter we could all turn round and wave our tails derisively. The club'd sell blue and white hooped tail warmers and FFP would be averted.
Badly Designed Objects on 22:19 - Jul 13 with 918 viewsblacky2013

I use these oven gloves. Bloody brilliant.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revolutionary-Extreme-Resistant-Certified-Surface/dp/B0
Badly Designed Objects on 22:27 - Jul 13 with 914 viewsFearless

Badly Designed Objects on 22:38 - Jul 13 with 899 viewscolinallcars

Did William Shakespeare use Avon Gloves ?
Badly Designed Objects on 08:25 - Jul 14 with 793 viewsEsox_Lucius

Badly Designed Objects on 21:30 - Jul 12 by RamseyR

If you'd have told me whilst in the Moonlight Club in West Hampstead watching Joy Division, that almost 40 years later I could buy some Joy Division oven gloves, I'd have told you to fcuk right off.....but with the passing of time....I actually quite covet a pair of those

Thank these Tranmere Rovers supporting troubadours.

The grass is always greener.

Badly Designed Objects on 09:14 - Jul 14 with 726 viewsJuzzie

Badly Designed Objects on 15:22 - Jul 13 by colinallcars

When CDs were introduced, they were marketed as “ perfect sound forever” it soon became clear they were far from perfect sound and quite easily damaged. They sound better now if played in a high end CD player, much better than the streamed rubbish that many listen to. There seems to be an assumption that their days are numbered but lots of people still like owning a physical product and appreciate the sound quality.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2019 8:48]

They were never portrayed as indestructible. Each CD carried handling instructions in the booklet and they had to be treated carefully, not used as drinks coasters, frisbees etc.
I had one lady phone and complain that her Joan Armatrading CD junped and skipped. She was most displeased. I asked her if it had been treated carefully and she was quite indignant that I even asked the question.
She returned it and upon receipt it was though she had used a brillo pad to clean it, it was absolutely scratched to fk.

It was likes of Tomorrow’s World that gave the impression they were bullet proof.

Issues with sound quality was more due to mastering (mainly because music was still recorded in analogue and needed converting to digital whereas now it’s all digital so the whole process is now in sync) but that improved over time.

Music will sound better when played on decent quality equipment and thankfully there are still a lot of people who want to still use CD’s as it is so much better than compressed stream.

P.s. I do have streaming accounts but as signals can often drop or not be available where I might be I still have music (either in WAV form or compressed as little as possible) on my phone, tablet and a dedicated DAP player
[Post edited 14 Jul 2019 9:56]
Badly Designed Objects on 09:56 - Jul 14 with 700 viewscolinallcars

Badly Designed Objects on 09:14 - Jul 14 by Juzzie

They were never portrayed as indestructible. Each CD carried handling instructions in the booklet and they had to be treated carefully, not used as drinks coasters, frisbees etc.
I had one lady phone and complain that her Joan Armatrading CD junped and skipped. She was most displeased. I asked her if it had been treated carefully and she was quite indignant that I even asked the question.
She returned it and upon receipt it was though she had used a brillo pad to clean it, it was absolutely scratched to fk.

It was likes of Tomorrow’s World that gave the impression they were bullet proof.

Issues with sound quality was more due to mastering (mainly because music was still recorded in analogue and needed converting to digital whereas now it’s all digital so the whole process is now in sync) but that improved over time.

Music will sound better when played on decent quality equipment and thankfully there are still a lot of people who want to still use CD’s as it is so much better than compressed stream.

P.s. I do have streaming accounts but as signals can often drop or not be available where I might be I still have music (either in WAV form or compressed as little as possible) on my phone, tablet and a dedicated DAP player
[Post edited 14 Jul 2019 9:56]

Spot on. I have Spotify Premium but I use it to explore music I haven't heard before. If I really like something, I'll buy the CD or vinyl. It's really a buyers' market with CDs at the moment. Used copies of really excellent CDs can be had for a couple of quid on Amazon or ebay although I often buy new.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024