Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bury FC and the EFL 08:09 - Aug 28 with 11430 viewsNortholt_Rs

Horrible, horrible news for all Bury fans and for the whole town. A complete tragedy. What on earth have the EFL been doing about this situation? How could they allow some w*nker with zero money to buy the club for £1 ???? Perhaps they should’ve taken some of their focus off hounding us over FFP to actually try and protect their member clubs. I am sure many of you are, like me, absolutely gutted for the Bury fans. This could so easily have been QPR FC a few years ago. It is time for the EFL to be ripped apart and to start again. Bury FC (and quite possibly BWFC) will be Shaun Harvey’s legacy.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 8:16]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Bury FC and the EFL on 23:02 - Aug 28 with 2615 viewsdistortR

Bury FC and the EFL on 13:20 - Aug 28 by cpgerber

They will probably start again in somewhere non-league, but hard to really think that this is definitely the end of them. I can't imagine it all just being shut down and that't it. Hard years ahead, for sure, but I would imagine they will be back at some stage in one form or the other.

Unrelated, I saw a documentary a couple of years ago in which Bury was singled out has having some pretty hard core hooligans. Not living in the UK, I wouldn't know ... is that true?

Mate, a footballing memory from way back is sitting in the swan and cemetery in Bury before a cup game up there and having a great reception from the locals. At a time when that didn't often happen. Deeply saddened by this news
Bury FC and the EFL on 00:38 - Aug 29 with 2548 viewsCiderwithRsie

I hope the club comes back like Aldershot and Hereford.

If so it'd be a great thing if QPR could help out by maybe playing a pre-season friendly or donating old training equipment etc. (Maybe we should have a pre-season tour of phoenix clubs!)

I don't think clubs should escape consequences of mismanagement, but it feels to me like proper football fans and clubs like ours need to stick together because the authorities won't lift a finger.
Bury FC and the EFL on 00:58 - Aug 29 with 2536 viewstimcocking

Would have been nice to see the football league go on strike. Just take more money off those loathsome kants at the top or put a stop to it all. It's utterly indefensible how Chelsea's 48th highest paid youth player will make more than Bury ever did. Sickening.
Bury FC and the EFL on 15:21 - Aug 30 with 2342 views2Thomas2Bowles

Bury FC and the EFL on 00:58 - Aug 29 by timcocking

Would have been nice to see the football league go on strike. Just take more money off those loathsome kants at the top or put a stop to it all. It's utterly indefensible how Chelsea's 48th highest paid youth player will make more than Bury ever did. Sickening.

Looks like Bury want to go to court

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49526433

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Bury FC and the EFL on 18:23 - Aug 30 with 2277 viewsQPR_John

Bury FC and the EFL on 15:21 - Aug 30 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Looks like Bury want to go to court

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49526433

Hope they do go to court and importantly win. It could well be the final straw that brings the whole organisation down
Bury FC and the EFL on 19:00 - Aug 30 with 2240 viewsMiss_Terraces

Bury FC and the EFL on 18:23 - Aug 30 by QPR_John

Hope they do go to court and importantly win. It could well be the final straw that brings the whole organisation down

No chance, the Tories are on the same side as the fa. Against football and the people

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Bury FC and the EFL on 19:31 - Aug 30 with 2206 viewsQPR_John

Bury FC and the EFL on 19:00 - Aug 30 by Miss_Terraces

No chance, the Tories are on the same side as the fa. Against football and the people

What on earth are you talking about
Bury FC and the EFL on 19:36 - Aug 30 with 2201 viewsMiss_Terraces

Bury FC and the EFL on 19:31 - Aug 30 by QPR_John

What on earth are you talking about

Football used to be the peoples game. The Tories and the fa have taken it from us. Now it is the billionaire's game. The fa and Tories loyally is to them over us.
Even most of the Tories on this board preferred football, when it was based on working class values.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2019 19:51]

Login to get fewer ads

Bury FC and the EFL on 22:37 - Aug 30 with 2127 viewsQPR_John

Bury FC and the EFL on 19:36 - Aug 30 by Miss_Terraces

Football used to be the peoples game. The Tories and the fa have taken it from us. Now it is the billionaire's game. The fa and Tories loyally is to them over us.
Even most of the Tories on this board preferred football, when it was based on working class values.

It was the FL that expelled Bury. What has the Tories or the FA to do with it
Bury FC and the EFL on 22:46 - Aug 30 with 2109 viewsLblock

Bury FC and the EFL on 19:36 - Aug 30 by Miss_Terraces

I think you’ll find football was finally sold down the river by the Blairites

Read the book Broken Dreams

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Bury FC and the EFL on 22:51 - Aug 30 with 2102 viewsFredManRave

Clive can't come to the thread right now but he asked me to post the following on his behalf;

No, no, no, no, no...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Bury FC and the EFL on 02:20 - Aug 31 with 2027 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bury FC and the EFL on 22:46 - Aug 30 by Lblock

Can’t argue with that although I don’t think you can let the Tories off for their 14 out of 27 years of Premiership football.

Lucky Labour are under new management.

Sorry Clive.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/labours-manifesto-pledges-football-
[Post edited 31 Aug 2019 2:23]
Bury FC and the EFL on 08:21 - Aug 31 with 1948 viewsjonno

Bury FC and the EFL on 16:40 - Aug 28 by Northernr

1 - Money in football has just gone out of control. Remember when jack Walker was able to transform Blackburn from also ran into league champions spending about £30m? £30m buys you one player now, often not a very good player. Wages, transfer fees, costs, all of it has grown way above inflation. Championship players on £40k a week. The days of the local scrap iron monger being able to own and run the local football club are gone.

2 - EPPP has robbed them of a key income stream. Where once you could develop a local boy and sell him for even a few hundred thousand quid (big deal if you're Bury), now if any kid looks half decent at Bury at 13 Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton will just come and snaffle him and park him with the others and you'll get two bob for it. Clubs like Wycombe, who should be crying out for young talent to develop and sell, are closing academies altogether.

3 - Signing culture. Absolutely rabid. Encouraged and demanded by a combination of Sky Sports News and supporters who've grown up on Football Manager computer games. Your success is judged now as much by who you're signing, and how many signings you're making, as it is results on the pitch. Most of the "announce Ravel" mouth breathers on social media don't go to the fcking games. Look at the way Fulham fans were still creaming themselves over their January signings last season, when they were quite obviously doomed and just chucking good money after bad. The pressure, exacerbated by lack of youth academy, is to be signing. Always be signing. And it's expensive.

4 - Loan issues. Where once you could cover up two and three with a clutch of loans, now they're costing. The Accrington owner and Peterborough owner Tweet about this a lot - Premier League clubs, awash with money, asking Accrington and Peterborough to pay money to borrow their kids on loan. A loan that, let's not forget, will benefit the player's development. We've probably paid as much as we paid for Sheron, our club record fee less than 20 years ago, to borrow Hugill for nine months.

5 - Domination of the Premier League at the expense of all others. All the money coming into the game is concentrated at the very top. All the sponsorship you might want for your club. Supporters you might want to come and watch your League One club would rather sit at home and stream Man Utd v Palace illegally, drink six cheap supermarket lagers and monitor their "mental acca" than spend £25 and come and watch you.

6 - Big spenders filtering down. Parachute payments, massive TV money for finishing last in the Prem. You've now got Championship clubs spending £8m-£10m on players to try and get into the Prem. Newcastle, Villa, QPR, all spent eye watering sums in the second tier. It's skewing it, making it harder for clubs like Barnsley, Blackpool, Bradford and others who've all been in the Prem themselves relatively recently to stand a chance of getting back.

7 - Rules being ignored. It might be possible to get a lid on all of this, get clubs spending more sensibly, deflate the transfer market, sustainable futures for clubs if there was proper governance. Instead, the EFL actively encourages rule breaking/cheating/clever accounting from Derby, Birmingham, Villa and others.

8 - General socio-economic situation in the country. Everything is expensive, and it's about to get worse.

Brilliant reply - many thanks Clive. My question was of course rhetorical but you have encapsulated all that is bad about the game - which basically comes under one heading one way or the other - Money. In my view football is such an inherently important part of society in the UK that it should never have been allowed to be run by the kind of people that now run it, many of whom are are of very dubious character and only in it for what they can get. I believe it is time that a totally independent body was set up by the government to regulate and control professional football properly, for the benefit of the fans and not agents, players etc.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2019 8:22]
Bury FC and the EFL on 08:50 - Aug 31 with 1919 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Badly run and the local community either not interested or, more locals decided to watch the clubs in Liverpool or Manchester as opposed to their own town team. I read the football authorities not coming out of it too well either. But is that it or, am I missing anything else? If not, then hard-lines. But when properly run businesses are struggling, then I’m not going to lose sleep over a club who may well have been the author of their own demise.

The EFL need to go back and allow the Burys of this world to play their games on a Friday night like Tranmere used to do, so they are not competing with the Premier League on a Saturday. Then the clubs need to be creative: let kids, the unemployed in for free; market themselves better; run their business in line with their income; consider community ownership so more fans aware of the hard-truths; and fans need to wise up: there are three domestic trophies and promotions and European places up for grabs and 91 clubs now chasing them! We’re not all going to win.

But if the locals don’t go, well c’est la vie, because from the outside looking in, it seems Bury were as much buried by themselves than anyone else.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Bury FC and the EFL on 09:12 - Aug 31 with 1893 viewsdistortR

Bury FC and the EFL on 08:50 - Aug 31 by PlanetHonneywood

Badly run and the local community either not interested or, more locals decided to watch the clubs in Liverpool or Manchester as opposed to their own town team. I read the football authorities not coming out of it too well either. But is that it or, am I missing anything else? If not, then hard-lines. But when properly run businesses are struggling, then I’m not going to lose sleep over a club who may well have been the author of their own demise.

The EFL need to go back and allow the Burys of this world to play their games on a Friday night like Tranmere used to do, so they are not competing with the Premier League on a Saturday. Then the clubs need to be creative: let kids, the unemployed in for free; market themselves better; run their business in line with their income; consider community ownership so more fans aware of the hard-truths; and fans need to wise up: there are three domestic trophies and promotions and European places up for grabs and 91 clubs now chasing them! We’re not all going to win.

But if the locals don’t go, well c’est la vie, because from the outside looking in, it seems Bury were as much buried by themselves than anyone else.

and when they come for us?
Bury FC and the EFL on 09:39 - Aug 31 with 1867 viewscolinallcars

Bury FC and the EFL on 08:50 - Aug 31 by PlanetHonneywood

Maybe a tad harsh. Given the state of football finances and the excessive amounts of money paid to players and agents, I doubt if clubs like Bury would show a profit if gates doubled or even trebled.
Bury FC and the EFL on 10:08 - Aug 31 with 1845 viewsMiss_Terraces

Bury FC and the EFL on 22:46 - Aug 30 by Lblock

Murdoch backed them both, read the book. The game had already gone by the time Blair got in. I share your disgust for Blair.
The fa, FL are all politians, they are all right wing. Look after the rich, screw the poor. Tories
[Post edited 31 Aug 2019 10:11]

Bury FC and the EFL on 10:30 - Aug 31 with 1820 viewsPinnerPaul

Bury FC and the EFL on 09:39 - Aug 31 by colinallcars

Maybe a tad harsh. Given the state of football finances and the excessive amounts of money paid to players and agents, I doubt if clubs like Bury would show a profit if gates doubled or even trebled.

No I agree - but then don't pay players wages you can't even afford if you don't pay the tax and then when you don't pay the tax don't be surprised when HMRC come after you.

Don't forget as well as HMRC there will be local businesses, people not paid as well - even football clubs can't keep paying wages without paying over the tax and using goods/services without paying for them for so long.

Taking EFL to court is just barmy, its like any other company taking the government to court just because they have gone bust.
Bury FC and the EFL on 11:07 - Aug 31 with 1789 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bury FC and the EFL on 09:12 - Aug 31 by distortR

and when they come for us?

Us being a club who spunked half-a-billion; I think we did all in our incompetence to go to them! We can blame no one but ourselves for the mess we are working our way back from, and can expect no one to cry in sympathy either.

But thankfully we appear to have started retreating from the abyss before it was too late.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Bury FC and the EFL on 11:53 - Aug 31 with 1742 viewsWatford_Ranger

Bury FC and the EFL on 10:30 - Aug 31 by PinnerPaul

No I agree - but then don't pay players wages you can't even afford if you don't pay the tax and then when you don't pay the tax don't be surprised when HMRC come after you.

Don't forget as well as HMRC there will be local businesses, people not paid as well - even football clubs can't keep paying wages without paying over the tax and using goods/services without paying for them for so long.

Taking EFL to court is just barmy, its like any other company taking the government to court just because they have gone bust.

No, it isn’t. The FL have acted against their own guidelines to boot Bury out and now their response, to a 125-year-old club, is “you aren’t a member so we ain’t talking to you”. It’ll likely not make a difference in the end but good on the Bury fans for leaving no stone unturned in a fight against such an incompetent organisation.
Bury FC and the EFL on 12:34 - Aug 31 with 1702 viewsMrSheen

Bury FC and the EFL on 19:36 - Aug 28 by R_from_afar

Five Live are debating this right now. I have always thought "Chappers" was a smug, mickey-taking tw@t but fair play to him, he just raised a point which has been rattling around my head: The media, and to a certain extent, football fans in general, are also partly responsible due to an obsession with the big clubs.
As an example, on a weekend morning, Talk Sport debate football but not only is the focus almost exclusively on the Prem, but it is nearly always on the big six. Haley's comet comes round more often than a discussion of, say, Burnley.

This has been a long time coming. My brother lived around the corner from Gigg Lane in the early 90s. United reserves used to play there and they were getting bigger crowds than Bury, twice as many if a star like Giggs was coming back from injury. Bury market would have nothing related to the club, but you could get United or City clocks, towels, mirrors etc. We went to a few games where the stands had a few older guys clustered together while their sons and grandsons, in United, City, Liverpool shirts played football behind the stand. Us in a decade? We have to do more to hook teenagers and make going to a game their habit not a family duty.

Had one cracking night there, 2-0 in the league cup when we were third in the league and they were in the fourth division. Thumping Peacock header and an over the shoulder Bradley Allen volley, both in the last ten minutes. There was a bonus in the club shop afterwards, we picked up a leaflet for Euro96 priority tickets that was only supposed to be for referees and other officials. Result.
Bury FC and the EFL on 13:35 - Aug 31 with 1650 viewsdistortR

Bury FC and the EFL on 11:07 - Aug 31 by PlanetHonneywood

Us being a club who spunked half-a-billion; I think we did all in our incompetence to go to them! We can blame no one but ourselves for the mess we are working our way back from, and can expect no one to cry in sympathy either.

But thankfully we appear to have started retreating from the abyss before it was too late.

'Us being a club' - the owners aren't the club though, but the temporary custodians.
But they can kill the future.
Bury FC and the EFL on 16:42 - Sep 1 with 1429 viewsTGRRRSSS

Who wrote Broken Dreams?
Bury FC and the EFL on 16:58 - Sep 1 with 1398 viewspeejaybee

Bury FC and the EFL on 16:42 - Sep 1 by TGRRRSSS

Who wrote Broken Dreams?

Tom Bower

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Bury FC and the EFL on 15:25 - Sep 5 with 1085 viewsSimplyNico

I am at a conference in Edinburgh about regulation in football. The first speaker was Ann Budge, the CEO, Chairman and owner of Hearts. She gave a great talk about buying the club out of Administration and turning it around. Her next step is to transfer the club to a company owned by the fans.

I had a long chat with her over lunch. Even allowing for the difference in the economics of Scottish football against English football, she reckons there is going to be a lot more in the way of failures like Bury, both in England and Scotland.

I also discussed Conor Washington with her. He is doing well up there, really well liked and had fitted in. Good for him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024