Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
spurs sack manager 19:42 - Nov 19 with 8489 viewsenfieldargh

Hopefully a backwards step

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

spurs sack manager on 10:31 - Nov 20 with 1469 viewsTheChef

spurs sack manager on 10:22 - Nov 20 by PinnerPaul

Nice to see last night's sub standard state categorically that he wouldn't be sacked!

Finger on the pulse of local football, as ever.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

spurs sack manager on 11:34 - Nov 20 with 1355 viewsBuckR

In all honesty I think its a good appointment. Spurs are desperate for a Trophy to get a bit of a winning mentality into the club. Who better could they have gone for in that department? Even if he's there for 2 years and stops the trophyless streak. His spell at Man U ended as a bit of a car crash but he still won 3 trophies there and he's walking into a far better squad and club IMO
spurs sack manager on 11:50 - Nov 20 with 1325 viewsAntti_Heinola

spurs sack manager on 00:04 - Nov 20 by rsonist

And all that idiot has to show for it is a legacy of over a billion pounds worth of world-class stadium and training ground, financed under their own steam.

In normal circumstances, yeah Poch did "deserve" to revamp the squad how he saw fit, probably a year, even two years ago. But that simply wasn't possible and now unfortunately everyone's just too fed up with each other to carry on. It's relegation form now. Fergie wouldn't have lasted six years anywhere without clearing the decks either.

We're pretending a dicey £150m on Aurier Moura Foyth Sissoko Llorente Janssen etc didn't happen of course. Another factor is that in years gone by Levy would have been able to extract maximum fees for this summer's wantaway players too, but now the players and the market has wised up to letting contracts run out.

agree, although whenever any manager gets sacked people point to poor signings. Fact is, any manager on earth that has money to spend will buy players that don't work out. Moura being in your list is an odd one though, bearing in mind the importance of the goals he's scored this year! And Foyth is a very young player likely to become a very good one. Sissoko has been decent for them over the last 18 months, and it was purely Levy's fault they paid such a high price for him, despite his fabled (and totally erroneous) 'master of tyhe transfer market' reputation.
But clearly something has gone wrong. Just the fact he was saying he might leave if Spurs won the CL last season set alarm bells ringing.

Bare bones.

spurs sack manager on 11:54 - Nov 20 with 1311 viewsAntti_Heinola

spurs sack manager on 10:15 - Nov 20 by 2Thomas2Bowles

2 up at the scum and draw 2-2 just one they bottled.
Then lost to Southampton at home and then Newcastle away
[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 10:20]

it's not a great point though. Poch is probably a better manager than Ranieri (is a better manager). There's a real myth that managers can control absolutely everything that happens everywhere, which is a nonsense. Tottenham should've beaten Chelsea, yes, but Leicester lost just 3 games all season. They were phenomenal.

Bare bones.

spurs sack manager on 11:56 - Nov 20 with 1306 viewsAntti_Heinola

Arry was pitching for it even within the few seconds it was up for grabs.

“The results have not been good enough. They’ve not performed well enough. That’s what gets you sacked as a football manager. They’ve had one Champions League final and, if you look back at the run, really everything went their way a little bit. But they’ve not won a trophy in five or six years with an incredible squad of players, full of internationals.” Asked if he would consider returning to the club, Redknapp, out of management since being sacked by Birmingham in 2017, told talkSPORT: “I’d walk there tomorrow but it isn’t going to happen. I’m a realist. If he rung me and said come until the end of the season, of course I would.”

'Wew, it's difficult, ya know. What we've been left wiv ere, I had to pick 'em up off the floor. But we'll get Niko in in Jan, see if Crouchie'll come out of retirement and we'll do our best, you know?'

Bare bones.

spurs sack manager on 11:58 - Nov 20 with 1304 viewsdanehoop

spurs sack manager on 11:34 - Nov 20 by BuckR

In all honesty I think its a good appointment. Spurs are desperate for a Trophy to get a bit of a winning mentality into the club. Who better could they have gone for in that department? Even if he's there for 2 years and stops the trophyless streak. His spell at Man U ended as a bit of a car crash but he still won 3 trophies there and he's walking into a far better squad and club IMO

If Spurs wanted to maintain a position in the top 4 and keep challenging they needed to further invest about 18 months ago. They didnt and despite getting them to overachieve previously, the gaps and thinness of the squad are apparent (something Pochettino has been vocal about). That failure to invest was Levy' decision, and the impact of becoming less competitive is therefore down to Levy as much as Pochettino having his head turned by Madrid.

Whilst there maybe a deadcat bounce from a new manager, but the sort of anti-football that Mourinho tends to encompass is likely to be a significant change of approach. ironically that will need additional investment in the squad to achieve that. It would be mildly ironic if Mourinho is now allowed to buy new players and then see Spurs become duller and fall away (whilst still paying off Pochettino's compensation).

Never knowingly understood

spurs sack manager on 12:00 - Nov 20 with 1295 viewsJuzzie

Levy said Mourinho has "a wealth of experience, can inspire teams and is a great tactician".

"He has won honours at every club he has coached," he added. "We believe he will bring energy and belief to the dressing room."

Out of those three comments, it's only the middle one that matters and is the determining factor in appointing him, IMO.
spurs sack manager on 12:00 - Nov 20 with 1289 viewsbob566

irish radio this morning was saying that Levy always wanted to have Mourinho. That he never wanted Poch in the first plac.e
Login to get fewer ads

spurs sack manager on 12:03 - Nov 20 with 1274 viewsNed_Kennedys

spurs sack manager on 08:57 - Nov 20 by Juzzie

Spurs have played good football but won nothing.

Mourhino plays anti-football but wins things.

We’re constantly told it’s a results business so results will top entertainment every time.

Modern football is rubbish.

If I was a Spurs fan I'd probably put up with dull football for a couple of years if it wins them a couple of Cups.
spurs sack manager on 12:08 - Nov 20 with 1242 viewsBuckR

At united he didnt have one decent centre half - Spurs already have two that he would have killed for and the type of centre forward he has always loved (Drogba, Costa). Dont really love or hate the bloke but I just have a feeling this could well work out
spurs sack manager on 12:13 - Nov 20 with 1217 viewsMick_S

Asked if he would consider returning to the club, Redknapp, out of management since being sacked by Birmingham in 2017, told talkSPORT: “I’d walk there tomorrow but I've got really bad knees.

Fixed.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

spurs sack manager on 12:28 - Nov 20 with 1161 views2Thomas2Bowles

Mourinho 22 trophies.
Pochettino none. zero. zip.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

spurs sack manager on 12:34 - Nov 20 with 1148 viewsAntti_Heinola

spurs sack manager on 12:28 - Nov 20 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Mourinho 22 trophies.
Pochettino none. zero. zip.

Well, let's see how many he manages at Spurs. but my guess is it will not be more than Poch's number, and the general football will be significantly worse - and I'll be astounded if he lasts more than 2 and a half years.
Poch is still a relatively young manager and it's undeniable he did superb jobs at both Southampton and Spurs. I'm not sure Mourinho will get Spurs to a CL final - or almost anyone, now. He's not the manager he was 10 or 15 years ago, and not by a long shot.

Good point above about Spurs - would you put up with some boring football to get a trophy. I don't see why it's an either/or question, or why it has to be. the teams winning stuff now - City, Liverpool, and in Europe too, the best teams are not playing boring Mourinho-style football. I think things have moved on a bit, as football does.

Bare bones.

spurs sack manager on 12:41 - Nov 20 with 1127 viewsJuzzie

spurs sack manager on 12:03 - Nov 20 by Ned_Kennedys

If I was a Spurs fan I'd probably put up with dull football for a couple of years if it wins them a couple of Cups.

Sadly I guess that applies to every club.

Dull football > win trophies
spurs sack manager on 12:44 - Nov 20 with 1115 viewscharmr

My take is too many spurs players didn’t like to defend and lost interest when they didn’t have the ball. Son, Ali and Erickson all very half hearted. They like going forward. Jose will either ask players to change or kick them out.
spurs sack manager on 12:48 - Nov 20 with 1094 viewsMick_S

spurs sack manager on 12:44 - Nov 20 by charmr

My take is too many spurs players didn’t like to defend and lost interest when they didn’t have the ball. Son, Ali and Erickson all very half hearted. They like going forward. Jose will either ask players to change or kick them out.

Eriksen should have been booted out - clearly didn't want to be there.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

spurs sack manager on 12:50 - Nov 20 with 1080 viewsWokingR

Anyone for Pochetino getting the Arsenal job in the next few weeks ?
spurs sack manager on 12:55 - Nov 20 with 1068 viewsR_from_afar

I am surprised at this move, for so many reasons, but particularly because a club with £637m worth of debt has ditched the manager who was bringing through home-grown players in favour of someone who spends money like it's going out of fashion. This could all end very badly for Spurs.

Solskjaer must be very, very worried too.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

spurs sack manager on 13:00 - Nov 20 with 1051 viewsterryb

spurs sack manager on 12:08 - Nov 20 by BuckR

At united he didnt have one decent centre half - Spurs already have two that he would have killed for and the type of centre forward he has always loved (Drogba, Costa). Dont really love or hate the bloke but I just have a feeling this could well work out

He bought enough of them at United & all for large fees!

So his judgement in buying them was wrong or they didn't respond to his man-management!

I'm sure of one think though. The rumours that Tottenham were interested in Eze will now cease!
spurs sack manager on 13:04 - Nov 20 with 1036 views2Thomas2Bowles

spurs sack manager on 12:55 - Nov 20 by R_from_afar

I am surprised at this move, for so many reasons, but particularly because a club with £637m worth of debt has ditched the manager who was bringing through home-grown players in favour of someone who spends money like it's going out of fashion. This could all end very badly for Spurs.

Solskjaer must be very, very worried too.

Tottenham Hotspur made a world-record profit of £113m after-tax last season.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

spurs sack manager on 13:09 - Nov 20 with 1025 viewsAntti_Heinola

spurs sack manager on 12:48 - Nov 20 by Mick_S

Eriksen should have been booted out - clearly didn't want to be there.

well yeah, they could've sold and should've done. He's given them good service. Counter productive forcing a player to stay.

Bare bones.

spurs sack manager on 13:10 - Nov 20 with 1018 viewsTheChef

spurs sack manager on 12:34 - Nov 20 by Antti_Heinola

Well, let's see how many he manages at Spurs. but my guess is it will not be more than Poch's number, and the general football will be significantly worse - and I'll be astounded if he lasts more than 2 and a half years.
Poch is still a relatively young manager and it's undeniable he did superb jobs at both Southampton and Spurs. I'm not sure Mourinho will get Spurs to a CL final - or almost anyone, now. He's not the manager he was 10 or 15 years ago, and not by a long shot.

Good point above about Spurs - would you put up with some boring football to get a trophy. I don't see why it's an either/or question, or why it has to be. the teams winning stuff now - City, Liverpool, and in Europe too, the best teams are not playing boring Mourinho-style football. I think things have moved on a bit, as football does.

When did Mourinho last stay at a club more than two and a half years?

The usual formula is two seasons of 'success' (depending how you define that, but probably at least one trophy. Fair enough). By season three he's found reasons to fall out with the club management and engineers an exit with a nice fat pay off.

Rinse and repeat. Trebles all round.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

spurs sack manager on 13:11 - Nov 20 with 1017 viewspaulparker

spurs sack manager on 12:50 - Nov 20 by WokingR

Anyone for Pochetino getting the Arsenal job in the next few weeks ?

Why not he owes spurs nothing
It wasn’t that long ago that spurs were giving Jose’s Man Utd team a footballing lesson at old Trafford I still cannot believe they have done this

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

spurs sack manager on 13:16 - Nov 20 with 1006 viewsR_from_afar

spurs sack manager on 13:04 - Nov 20 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Tottenham Hotspur made a world-record profit of £113m after-tax last season.

Yes, they did, but the debt still has to be paid off. I am rubbish at balance sheets but some of the details are in the link below. £525m has been converted into a bond scheme and the rest is covered by a loan. They still owe the money, though, and if the club goes into a tailspin, things could get ugly.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/sep/20/tottenham-refinance-stadium-deb

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

spurs sack manager on 13:53 - Nov 20 with 928 viewsPinnerPaul

How many of the 3 1/2 seasons will he actually have to work before yet another pay off I wonder?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024