Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Speed Cameras on motorways 13:33 - Jan 14 with 4102 viewsGloucs_R

The M4 has miles of average speed cameras now, as they build the new managed motorways. Are these Cameras switched on? I see people going through the roadworks doing 60 or 70.... Are they thick or do they know something I don't?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:02 - Jan 14 with 2792 viewsloftboy

Went through there on Sunday and there’s a sign west bound by the first set of cameras saying “ camera not in use” not sure if that’s for all of them though.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:02 - Jan 14 with 2793 viewsNed_Kennedys

There are so many 50 mph average speed check areas now, I used to do the M3 section regularly and as you say there are always a number of cars and vans happily bombing along at 70+. I've never known anyone to get caught by average speed cameras so I doubt they can be enforced?
Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:04 - Jan 14 with 2782 viewsstowmarketrange

I drive through them sometimes on the way to Swindon and back and I always set the trucks cruise control to 50mph.Thats fine until you meet a car only doing 40mph and then you have to pull out to overtake them.
There are other trucks and cars that go flying past me sometimes,so they either know something that I don’t,or they don’t give a sh@t.
They do go on too long though.18 or 19 miles of them.Why not do 5 or 10 miles at a time and get it done quicker?
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 14:05]
Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:20 - Jan 14 with 2738 viewsNorthernr

Managed/smart motorways one of the biggest cons going.

Very interesting piece in the Sunday Times this week about how many people have been killed on the hard shoulder since they started opening it up to "smart/managed" traffic.
Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:20 - Jan 14 with 2738 viewsMaggsinho

I'm not convinced everyone knows how an average speed zone works given the number of people I see breaking just for the cameras.
Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:22 - Jan 14 with 2732 viewsboysfromthebush

Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:02 - Jan 14 by Ned_Kennedys

There are so many 50 mph average speed check areas now, I used to do the M3 section regularly and as you say there are always a number of cars and vans happily bombing along at 70+. I've never known anyone to get caught by average speed cameras so I doubt they can be enforced?

I was caught a few years back doing 64 in the 50 zone on the M1, so they definitely do work.

I'm extra cautious nowadays but you're right, i see people bombing through at 60/70 and they must get a ticket!
Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:22 - Jan 14 with 2732 viewsNed_Kennedys

Would be interesting to know if anyone on here knows of anyone who has ever been done by average speed check cameras.
Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:25 - Jan 14 with 2710 viewsLongsufferingR

Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:22 - Jan 14 by Ned_Kennedys

Would be interesting to know if anyone on here knows of anyone who has ever been done by average speed check cameras.

Yes, friend of mine got done for avg speed of 58 in a 50 mph roadworks section. They rely on people not knowing which ones are actually switched on, so sticking to the limit all the way through.
Login to get fewer ads

Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:25 - Jan 14 with 2709 viewsboysfromthebush

Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:22 - Jan 14 by Ned_Kennedys

Yup, bastards.

See above.
Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:29 - Jan 14 with 2695 viewsMick_S

Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:20 - Jan 14 by Northernr

Very interesting piece in the Sunday Times this week about how many people have been killed on the hard shoulder since they started opening it up to "smart/managed" traffic.

Yep - Breaking down on a motorway is bad enough, but with no hard shoulder it must be terrifying.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:52 - Jan 14 with 2616 viewsMytch_QPR

Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:29 - Jan 14 by Mick_S

Yep - Breaking down on a motorway is bad enough, but with no hard shoulder it must be terrifying.

This couple were lucky (if you can call it that)...

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/m3-crash-elderly-couple-injured-175

The real story, as we know, is that there is too much traffic in the South East and around other cities. It's a cost effective way of creating another lane (but still very expensive). M23 being done at the moment, so they seem to be carrying on regardless.

PS: A couple of years ago, en route to Gatwick to catch a flight, got caught in a horrendous queue on the M3 / M25 junction due to an accident. When we passed the scene the occupants of one of the cars involved was taking selfies with the police. You couldn't make it up!!!!
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 14:56]

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Speed Cameras on motorways on 15:01 - Jan 14 with 2579 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:20 - Jan 14 by Northernr

Agree; it's a big con and only 'smart' for the government's coffers.
Speed Cameras on motorways on 15:08 - Jan 14 with 2550 viewsBoston

There’s something missing in this thread...oh yeah, where’s Baz’s post supporting another source of government revenue?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Speed Cameras on motorways on 15:40 - Jan 14 with 2462 viewskensalriser

Variable speed limits are an excellent way to manage traffic flow and prevent both shockwave congestion and pile-ups.

Employing the hard shoulder as a lane is a different issue, but it would be interesting to see the incident data for smart motorways with dynamic hard shoulders compared to the same stretch of road pre-conversion.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Speed Cameras on motorways on 16:08 - Jan 14 with 2401 viewsRangersDave

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2019/10/25/is-this-the-end-

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Speed Cameras on motorways on 16:23 - Jan 14 with 2364 viewsPinnerPaul

Speed Cameras on motorways on 16:08 - Jan 14 by RangersDave

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2019/10/25/is-this-the-end-

Interesting but that last AA stat of 38% is misleading without saying what its 38% of?

Can't possibly be 38% of all breakdown are in the live lane on smart motorways?
Speed Cameras on motorways on 18:14 - Jan 14 with 2225 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Speed Cameras on motorways on 15:40 - Jan 14 by kensalriser

Variable speed limits are an excellent way to manage traffic flow and prevent both shockwave congestion and pile-ups.

Employing the hard shoulder as a lane is a different issue, but it would be interesting to see the incident data for smart motorways with dynamic hard shoulders compared to the same stretch of road pre-conversion.

"Variable speed limits are an excellent way to manage traffic flow and prevent both shockwave congestion and pile-ups."

This is typical blunderbuss the government feeds the public in order to convince them that variable speed limits are a good idea. Try telling that to me when I'm driving around an empty M25 at 1am yet the variable speed limits are still in operation.

Moreover, controlling traffic flow is a different issue to speed cameras which at its heart is about generating revenue.
Speed Cameras on motorways on 18:32 - Jan 14 with 2189 viewsCamberleyR

Speed Cameras on motorways on 15:40 - Jan 14 by kensalriser

I drive to work every morning on the London bound carriageway of the M3 from junction 4a where the 'smart' motorway starts and get off at J3, the one before the junction with the M25.

There are I reckon a minimum of two accidents a week on this stretch that has been 'upgraded'. There was one yesterday morning that happened at about 7 am that closed two lanes and caused a massive tailback.

I absolutely hate driving on it at the best of times let alone rush hour, mainly because the frequency of the refuge areas is a complete joke and the signage that is supposed to close off a lane when a car is stranded is absolutely useless, it takes an eternity to put the 'x' above the lane to advise drivers to move over. I know if I broke down on it, I would be absolutely shitting myself.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 21:20]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Speed Cameras on motorways on 19:13 - Jan 14 with 2130 viewskensalriser

Speed Cameras on motorways on 18:14 - Jan 14 by Benny_the_Ball

"Variable speed limits are an excellent way to manage traffic flow and prevent both shockwave congestion and pile-ups."

This is typical blunderbuss the government feeds the public in order to convince them that variable speed limits are a good idea. Try telling that to me when I'm driving around an empty M25 at 1am yet the variable speed limits are still in operation.

Moreover, controlling traffic flow is a different issue to speed cameras which at its heart is about generating revenue.

My view is informed from personal experience. And the logic behind preventing shockwaves is undeniable.

I've not yet driven on an empty road with variable speed limits in operation, but I would prefer that mild inconvenience to getting involved in a pile up.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Speed Cameras on motorways on 19:19 - Jan 14 with 2117 viewsessextaxiboy

I know a few people who have been done , the two cameras doing the measuring are not always consecutive . You probably have at least 10% margin , they are a deterrent mostly .

The ones to watch are those on a gantry to the left of the carriageway , painted yellow . If they have pulled the speed limit down to say 50 or 60 they will always flash, again you prob have 10% . The speed awareness course offered is a motorway specific one and is almost entirely about Smart Motorway .
Speed Cameras on motorways on 21:12 - Jan 14 with 1997 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Speed Cameras on motorways on 19:13 - Jan 14 by kensalriser

My view is informed from personal experience. And the logic behind preventing shockwaves is undeniable.

I've not yet driven on an empty road with variable speed limits in operation, but I would prefer that mild inconvenience to getting involved in a pile up.

So is mine. Speaking of logic, how on earth are you going to be involved on a pile up on an empty road?
Speed Cameras on motorways on 23:27 - Jan 14 with 1895 viewswombat

Speed Cameras on motorways on 21:12 - Jan 14 by Benny_the_Ball

So is mine. Speaking of logic, how on earth are you going to be involved on a pile up on an empty road?

Thankfully no more new smart motorway to be built after the present ones are finished ,

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Speed Cameras on motorways on 00:01 - Jan 15 with 1871 viewskarl

Not motorway but A9 from Perth to Inverness is average speed camera and limited to 50mph lorries. I put the cruise control to 50 and toodled along but other lorries always came up behind and went past me on the occasional bits of dual carriageway, I ended up putting my foot down and tailing these trucks and basically we were all on the speed limiter at 56/57mph and I've never had a ticket going up and down that road dozens of times now.
However there is a section of about 7-10 miles of road works north of Perth limited to 40mph and a colleague of mine has had 2 tickets for doing 50 there (in same lorry) so they are policing that bit for sure.
On Benny the Balls point there is nothing more frustrating than driving that road in a car in the middle of the night, meeting a car every 10 mins possibly, and having to do 60 when it's absolutely safe to be ticking along at 80, adds a good bit onto your journey and tbh you possibly 'zone out' as it's too slow. Speaking as someone who has driven that road hundreds of times of corse
Speed Cameras on motorways on 00:21 - Jan 15 with 1861 viewsPunteR

Speed Cameras on motorways on 14:52 - Jan 14 by Mytch_QPR

This couple were lucky (if you can call it that)...

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/m3-crash-elderly-couple-injured-175

The real story, as we know, is that there is too much traffic in the South East and around other cities. It's a cost effective way of creating another lane (but still very expensive). M23 being done at the moment, so they seem to be carrying on regardless.

PS: A couple of years ago, en route to Gatwick to catch a flight, got caught in a horrendous queue on the M3 / M25 junction due to an accident. When we passed the scene the occupants of one of the cars involved was taking selfies with the police. You couldn't make it up!!!!
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 14:56]

That M3 to M25 junction london bound is horrendous. Since they've changed to Smart the traffic flows a bit quicker but theres far more accidents imo as no one knows what lane to be in. Of course a crash closes a lane anyway so were back to square one sitting in traffic.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Speed Cameras on motorways on 00:55 - Jan 15 with 1852 viewsLythamR

Speed Cameras on motorways on 00:01 - Jan 15 by karl

Not motorway but A9 from Perth to Inverness is average speed camera and limited to 50mph lorries. I put the cruise control to 50 and toodled along but other lorries always came up behind and went past me on the occasional bits of dual carriageway, I ended up putting my foot down and tailing these trucks and basically we were all on the speed limiter at 56/57mph and I've never had a ticket going up and down that road dozens of times now.
However there is a section of about 7-10 miles of road works north of Perth limited to 40mph and a colleague of mine has had 2 tickets for doing 50 there (in same lorry) so they are policing that bit for sure.
On Benny the Balls point there is nothing more frustrating than driving that road in a car in the middle of the night, meeting a car every 10 mins possibly, and having to do 60 when it's absolutely safe to be ticking along at 80, adds a good bit onto your journey and tbh you possibly 'zone out' as it's too slow. Speaking as someone who has driven that road hundreds of times of corse

The average speed cameras on the A9 made me cry when they were introduced and still do, they have absolutely screwed that road in the summer as not enough cars can get past the lorries on the duel carriageway sections because the lead cars dont boot it past the lorries like they used to for fear of tripping the cameras particularly those that dont know the road well.

The smart motorway section between stoke and Knutsford on the M6 has improved it significantly but as others have said i wouldnt fancy having a major breakdown and not being able to reach an emergency bay

What really gets my goat are people passing me doing 60 through roadworks and then passing them them doing 73 in the middle lane further up on a clear stretch of road.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024