Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brentford's new ground 16:02 - Jan 25 with 4245 viewsbosh67

I have to begrudgingly say that everything a few miles down the road, despite them losing to Leicester in the cup today is so well organised. I get the new homes, 910 of them and other facilities but wondering how they decided on a capacity of 17,250 (ours is 18,439).

I know people are going to say it's because they are a sh*tty little club with not enough fans but given their ambitions and a possible trip into the Prem this season or whenever, it seems to be very underwhelming as a plan. Brighton designed their ground to be expandable to 30,000+ but started at about 24,000. Given that our mad idea was to build a 40,000 stadium, revised back to a fictional 30,000 I am wondering why Brentford didn't design at least a 25,000 seater stadium having spent 80 million to create it? I am guessing they either don't think there will be more than 17,000 fans or that fans at grounds are not really the future?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Brentford's new ground on 16:07 - Jan 25 with 3651 viewsWrightUp5hit___

and the new stadium will be almost impossible to expand with rail lines surrounding the site
Brentford's new ground on 16:10 - Jan 25 with 3626 viewsMedwayR

From the pictures I've seen I think the limited capacity is due to the restricted footprint of the site, I guess it was a choice of stay local with limited capacity or move away for a bigger capacity. If that was the case I think they made the right choice.

If they price their tickets correctly they can still ensure they expand their fanbase and as Bournemouth have shown capacity isn't important in the premier league as the big money comes from TV.

If/when we ever get a new stadium I'd be hoping for no more than 25k with the option of expanding to 30k. I'd rather have a smaller stadium that's full and atmospheric than knock around in a massive empty stadium. The facilities that boost match day income (the prawn sandwich brigade) can still be accommodated with a smaller capacity.

Poll: Who’s better?

Brentford's new ground on 16:19 - Jan 25 with 3604 viewsNov77

They did well to get a ground built on that patch of land. Railways on 2 sides then office blocks between them and the A4.

Where’d they get the £70m from, can't imagine griffin park would fetch that much.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Brentford's new ground on 17:03 - Jan 25 with 3479 viewsStanisgod

Brentford's new ground on 16:19 - Jan 25 by Nov77

They did well to get a ground built on that patch of land. Railways on 2 sides then office blocks between them and the A4.

Where’d they get the £70m from, can't imagine griffin park would fetch that much.

Maybe because they've made £60m profit on players in the last 6 years!!!

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Brentford's new ground on 17:16 - Jan 25 with 3443 viewsenfieldargh

I heard they originally planned 19,000 ish but then realised the pitch would be too small so had to redesign.

Still planned (twice) built and moved in less than 4 years?

Yes they got on my tits but only because out team rarely turn up when we meet them.

Good luck to them , most upward curves tend to slope down after a while

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Brentford's new ground on 18:13 - Jan 25 with 3306 viewsswitchingcode

Brentford's new ground on 16:07 - Jan 25 by WrightUp5hit___

and the new stadium will be almost impossible to expand with rail lines surrounding the site

17800 capacity and that’s it no possibility to increase.More than enough for us and the usual Johnny come latelys.
Brentford's new ground on 19:18 - Jan 25 with 3202 viewsDavieQPR

The original application was for a 20,000 capacity stadium. This was cut to increase Corporate Boxes.
Brentford's new ground on 19:26 - Jan 25 with 3182 viewsBoston

Brentford's new ground on 18:13 - Jan 25 by switchingcode

17800 capacity and that’s it no possibility to increase.More than enough for us and the usual Johnny come latelys.

'ere switching, many many moons ago(we were on our way to Man Utd), me and a my mates bumped into a bus load of Aldershot fans heading somewhere or other in an M1 service station. Anyways, all friendly banter but we enquired who they were pumped up for that season, Brentford was their reply, insisting this was a 'right big off' between rival fans. That true or their fanciful dreaming?
[Post edited 25 Jan 2020 19:28]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Brentford's new ground on 19:28 - Jan 25 with 3188 viewsloftboy

Brentford's new ground on 19:26 - Jan 25 by Boston

'ere switching, many many moons ago(we were on our way to Man Utd), me and a my mates bumped into a bus load of Aldershot fans heading somewhere or other in an M1 service station. Anyways, all friendly banter but we enquired who they were pumped up for that season, Brentford was their reply, insisting this was a 'right big off' between rival fans. That true or their fanciful dreaming?

Very true, used to work with an Aldershit fan and he hated Brentford with a passion.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Brentford's new ground on 20:00 - Jan 25 with 3106 viewsswitchingcode

Brentford's new ground on 19:26 - Jan 25 by Boston

Very true had many a battle at the recreation ground and GP with Aldershot.Just shows how things can change it was only 6 years ago we lost to Yeovil in the play off final and they went into the championship look where the two teams are now.Championship is such a nice change although having Leicester City fans singing You’ll never sing Premier League champions at us today makes you wonder if the arrogance of PL clubs is a league to look forward to trying to get to.
Brentford's new ground on 05:19 - Jan 26 with 2855 viewsWesty75

Brentford's new ground on 16:19 - Jan 25 by Nov77

Huge number of flats being built on the site as well. I assume a big chunk of the cost of the stadium is being covered by a property deal. Great for traffic in the area which is already a bloody nightmare...
Brentford's new ground on 10:07 - Jan 26 with 2617 viewsfrancisbowles

Brentford's new ground on 20:00 - Jan 25 by switchingcode

Very true had many a battle at the recreation ground and GP with Aldershot.Just shows how things can change it was only 6 years ago we lost to Yeovil in the play off final and they went into the championship look where the two teams are now.Championship is such a nice change although having Leicester City fans singing You’ll never sing Premier League champions at us today makes you wonder if the arrogance of PL clubs is a league to look forward to trying to get to.

Brentford and Aldershot were local rivals in their many years in the old division four.
Brentford's new ground on 10:56 - Jan 26 with 2528 viewsswitchingcode

Brentford's new ground on 10:07 - Jan 26 by francisbowles

Brentford and Aldershot were local rivals in their many years in the old division four.

Very true
Brentford's new ground on 11:28 - Jan 26 with 2492 viewspaulhoop2

I mentioned this a few weeks ago praised Brentford for being well run and as I said occasionally pop down to GP as done most away days nowadays and got abuse for “being a Brentford fan! “ lol
I’m really not ! I just appreciate good football let’s face it we don’t produce it consistently lol but on a serious note i drove past old oak common lane yesterday morning the flats being built have a massive QPR crest on them anyone able to shed any light?

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Brentford's new ground on 11:33 - Jan 26 with 2478 viewspaulparker

Miles in front of us on and off the pitch goes to show what decent owners can do ,they have a 2 year plan , 5 year plan , 10 year plan , we can’t even get a training ground sorted in 10 years of our ownership , good luck to them

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Brentford's new ground on 17:26 - Jan 26 with 2312 viewspaulhoop2

Training ground and new stadium both designated to Mark Donnelly the former COO not quite sure what a bottom half championship club needs with a coo who earnt reportedly 200 k a year! Nothing got done in his tenor and he finally left.

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Brentford's new ground on 17:47 - Jan 26 with 2288 viewsPunteR

As much as its a clever design to fit it in that space it looks awful imo.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Brentford's new ground on 00:24 - Jan 27 with 2093 viewswombat

Brentford's new ground on 17:47 - Jan 26 by PunteR

As much as its a clever design to fit it in that space it looks awful imo.

Think they wanted capacity of 24k then found out they failed on all manner of heath and safety issues , reduced it again and same answer poor access for emergency services etc . Now are stuck with a stadium all be it new a stadium they can never expand upon

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Brentford's new ground on 08:56 - Jan 27 with 1993 viewsswitchingcode

Brentford's new ground on 00:24 - Jan 27 by wombat

Think they wanted capacity of 24k then found out they failed on all manner of heath and safety issues , reduced it again and same answer poor access for emergency services etc . Now are stuck with a stadium all be it new a stadium they can never expand upon

No issue with that situation if we got to the PL the tv money makes attendances insignificant.If we stayed in Championship it’s more than adequate.The new ground will have 17800 capacity GP has 12400 and we only have started to sell out regularly this season after all said and done we are just a bus stop in Hounslow 😃
Brentford's new ground on 10:00 - Jan 27 with 1905 viewsRblockPrior

Brentford ahead of us in every way possible once that stadium is built, yes it will be smaller albeit only slightly it will have much better facilities and space for fans to drink at ht etc

Poll: Of the 3 linked away, who do you think will still be a QPR player come February?

Brentford's new ground on 10:20 - Jan 27 with 1874 viewsstevec

Good luck to Brentford.

I remember the days when we’d never been near the top division and you climbed up a mud bank to see the game on South Africa Road. At the first sign of that promotion the SAR stand went up quicker than a Chinese hospital. We’d built a complete stadium bit by bit creating an all seater potential before they’d even been thought of, pre Scouse rampages.

Guess that’s what can happen when you have a man in charge with vision.
Brentford's new ground on 10:51 - Jan 27 with 1827 viewsNW5Hoop

Small capacity but much greater revenue opportunities — 3000 "premium" seats for hospitality, which will generate far more than an having 20,000 cap but fewer hospitality opportunities. It's also going to get revenue from London Irish, and is being positioned as a mid-tier venue for other events, such as age group internationals — it's already one of the stadiums for the women's Euros in 2021. They seem to be doing everything very sensibly.
Brentford's new ground on 12:03 - Jan 27 with 1771 viewsYorkRanger

Brentford's new ground on 08:56 - Jan 27 by switchingcode

No issue with that situation if we got to the PL the tv money makes attendances insignificant.If we stayed in Championship it’s more than adequate.The new ground will have 17800 capacity GP has 12400 and we only have started to sell out regularly this season after all said and done we are just a bus stop in Hounslow 😃

This makes good sense. The key is tv money when in the premier league and having a stadium that will not be half empty when you are not. For both situations having facilities that can generate revenue on non match days is important.

To be fair they are a well run football club and it shows us how it can be done. Good luck to them.
Brentford's new ground on 17:20 - Jan 27 with 1573 viewsJuzzie

I read somewhere that Man Utd make so much money from TV, commercial rights etc they don't actually need actual people at the ground especially when you take into account the huge costs to stage each game.

OK, that's at the far end of the spectrum but I'm sure it's the same for all other PL clubs, they don't need to rely on attending fans for the mainstay of their income.

This is why notions of a 40k stadium for us at OOC was just crazy. Unless we can guarantee long-term participation in the PL, which the vast majority of clubs cannot, then it's pointless having such a big ground that will be too big and part empty upon relegation.

We have a good fan-base but just turning up at Play-off finals etc is not enough. I do believe a new ground will improve attendances but not by 250% so 25k/30k is more than enough and even then I feel it should be 2-tier like MK Dons (horrible club, nice ground) and only the upper tier is for over-the-counter tickets (no ST's) so it can be closed should demand drop. Nothing worse than seeing grounds like the Madjeski or Ricoh in the early days with big empty gaps all over the place.

As SC has said, GP is just under 13k and only just getting near full. 17,500 will be more than enough as I think even the most optimistic fan can't see Brentford in the PL for more than a few consecutive seasons so need a ground that's more suitable for the Championship.

All a ground needs to be good for in the PL is media suites, changing rooms, corporate facilities etc. Capacity is not a major issue for clubs like us.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 17:30]
Brentford's new ground on 20:20 - Jan 27 with 1425 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Capacity and hospitality do positively affect FFP, though. As does non-matchday earning potential. I was never a fan of the 40,000 OOC idea but 30,000 is where we should be aiming for - large enough for us and also for concerts.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024