Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) 07:13 - Mar 18 with 4782 viewsPhildo

Following Clive's advice on the Corona thead

Who was the first player you idolised as a kid? Not the best or the most memorable but the one who caught your attention as a youngster

I will start with Steve Wicks

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 12:24 - Mar 18 with 1466 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 12:03 - Mar 18 by Clive_Anderson

Me too.

He had a strange career really, no idea why we sold him when we did for the same money we paid for him. Didn't really do anything at Blackburn and not a lot at Coventry either.

Think it was just that his work rate wasn't high enough for Gerry Francis?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 12:26 - Mar 18 with 1465 viewsslmrstid

Paul Murray for me when I was 10!

I wished I could have his hair as a kid.

Perhaps not now!
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 12:32 - Mar 18 with 1453 viewsGloucs_R

John Byrne
Paul Parker
Roy Wegerle

Poll: Are we staying up?

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 12:34 - Mar 18 with 1446 viewsflynnbo

John O'Rourke and Phil Parkes at fist but so many after those two.
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 12:41 - Mar 18 with 1438 viewsrrrspricey

Rodney for me, totally idolised the man. I was 7 when we sold him to Citeh and cried like a baby
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 12:45 - Mar 18 with 1424 viewsheadhoops

My granddad used to take me to Spurs in the late 60's early 70's and I loved Martin Chivers. When he died (granddad not Chivers), I lost interest in football until a friends dad took me to QPR v Stoke, the 3-2 in '75 I think, Webby got a last minute winner. I was sat in row 2 of SAR, I've never looked back and its been all R's since then. Dave Thomas became my favourite although there were plenty of contenders in that team.

Since then; Johnny Byrne, Stainrod, Gallen, Allen and Sir Les. Paul Parker, Macca and SuperRay. Adel and now Eze, we really have had some brilliant players.

Best player I have ever seen - Pele.

Finally, they say never meet your heroes. I met Chivers a few years back and spent a glorious 30 minutes chatting to him, an absolute gentleman.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 12:50 - Mar 18 with 1418 viewsPeterHucker

Gerry Francis.
I was at my grandad's house & I saw him score twice against Scotland back in the days when England v Scotland was just about the biggest match of the year.

Asked my grandad "which team does he play for?" and decided there and then to support them.
Gerry's got a lot to answer for really.
Never saw him play for QPR live though.
I first started going to Loftus Road in the promotion season of 1982-1983 and I used to play in goal back then so Peter Hucker was my hero (see my username for proof).
Also really like Clive Allen, John Gregory and especially Simon Stainrod back then.
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 19:52 - Mar 18 with 1336 viewsMedwayR

Sinton, I only saw him play one season for us and was lucky that we replaced him with Sinclair so I didn’t miss him too much but he was the one that made me want to play football.

Poll: Who’s better?

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 07:03 - Mar 19 with 1290 viewsdistortR

Going back to my Ian Gillard period, and tying in with earlier threads about words you don't hear any more, after school we used to all go and play on the football pitch - 3 and in, cup, etc

Anyway, people used to 'bagsy' who they'd be - Kevin Keegan etc etc

I never had any problems being Ian, and I never spent much time in goal................
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 13:41 - Mar 19 with 1236 viewsbrewers_hoop

Stan Bowles - used to pretend I was him in the playground when we played football with a tennis ball at dinnertime
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 13:47 - Mar 19 with 1230 viewshamptonhillhoop

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 12:24 - Mar 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Think it was just that his work rate wasn't high enough for Gerry Francis?

I seem to remember Francis saying he'd payed him at squash and didn't think Wegerle was competitive enough, thus, I presume, questioning his commitment to a battle.
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 15:05 - Mar 19 with 1196 viewsenfieldargh

Rodney for me.

He turned me into a QPR fan.

I thought Jimmy Greaves was awesome

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 15:34 - Mar 19 with 1179 viewsKingstan

Stan and Dave Thomas for me, I still get goosebumps thinking about them.

Dam it!.........am I allowed to say how much I miss the 70's ?
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 18:00 - Mar 19 with 1155 viewsVancouverHoop

As a kid I watched Hitchin Town in the Isthmian League. Top level 'shamateur' football, probably close to division four quality-wise back then. For a couple of seasons we had a centre-forward called Den Randall. Joined us right after his national service. He scored eighty-four goals during that time, seventy of them with his head I reckon. A proper Roy Race. He then signed pro with Kettering and disappeared from sight, leaving the memory of his blond crew-cut soaring above floundering defenders in the minds of numerous boys all over North Herts, including mine.
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 19:06 - Mar 19 with 1134 viewsPunteR

Terry Fenwick was the first QPR player i idolized.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 19:29 - Mar 19 with 1112 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Bardsley i think.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 19:47 - Mar 19 with 1102 viewsflynnbo

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 15:34 - Mar 19 by Kingstan

Stan and Dave Thomas for me, I still get goosebumps thinking about them.

Dam it!.........am I allowed to say how much I miss the 70's ?

https://www.heart.co.uk/70s/
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 20:19 - Mar 19 with 1091 viewsitsbiga

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 08:19 - Mar 18 by Hayesender

Absolutely loved Simon Stainrod as a wide eyed 12 year old.

He just seemed to swagger over the pitch

Yeah me too. Killed it in the 2nd Div 81-82

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 21:45 - Mar 19 with 1062 viewsYorkRanger

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 12:03 - Mar 18 by Clive_Anderson

Me too.

He had a strange career really, no idea why we sold him when we did for the same money we paid for him. Didn't really do anything at Blackburn and not a lot at Coventry either.

Stainrod, without any doubt. Saw the mid 70s team but was a bit too young to really appreciate it. The team of the early 80s was my real football education and Stainrod walked on water for me - style, swagger, skill he had it all.
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 15:40 - Mar 20 with 1003 viewsgobbles

Stan. Scored two goals in the first game I ever went to and when I first had a season ticket in R block, he used to take corners down in front of us. Absolutely idolised him, cried when they sold him, named my first-born after him
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 16:08 - Mar 20 with 978 viewsDylanP

Stan Bowles.

My Dad was a Spurs fan and he wanted me to be one too. He took we to Loftus Road to see QPR v Spurs and QPR won 3-1, with Stan scoring twice. Silky skills and I was a QPR fan for life. My Dad quickly followed and we got our first season tickets two years later

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 19:20 - Mar 20 with 950 viewsfrancisbowles

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 16:08 - Mar 20 by DylanP

Stan Bowles.

My Dad was a Spurs fan and he wanted me to be one too. He took we to Loftus Road to see QPR v Spurs and QPR won 3-1, with Stan scoring twice. Silky skills and I was a QPR fan for life. My Dad quickly followed and we got our first season tickets two years later

You converted your Dad! That's a great effort.
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 20:13 - Mar 20 with 934 viewsGaryBannisterswedge

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 19:20 - Mar 20 by francisbowles

You converted your Dad! That's a great effort.

Being a ginge, from Norfolt and a plastic paddy myself
and an unskillful battling midfielder it could only be
Mr Gary Waddock, loves him
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 20:28 - Mar 20 with 926 viewsBlackCrowe

Stan and peter eastoe

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 20:56 - Mar 20 with 911 viewsAcidPixie

Stan Bowles.................. Always and Forever.....Heatwave Style

When I started going properly Simon Stainrod
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024