Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
88/89 re run 18:19 - Apr 29 with 3955 viewsNorthernr

Tonight at 7. A lot goes on in this season!
88/89 re run on 19:04 - Apr 29 with 2128 viewsNorthernr

Mark Dennis has killed a man.
Jim Rosenthal is hosting.
Richard Keys is commentating.
88/89 re run on 19:18 - Apr 29 with 2093 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I used to watch this over and over on video. Great music too.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

88/89 re run on 19:22 - Apr 29 with 2087 viewsDannyPaddox

Going to enjoy this. Have no idea what happened. Its like if you manage to avoid the scores the highlights are always more exciting. Well I managed to avoid the whole fkin season. Don’t tell me what happens. Ah did Cloughie slap someone? Don’t tell me!
88/89 re run on 19:47 - Apr 29 with 2043 viewspaulparker

The season turns around once Trevor Francis takes over and we sign, Sinton, Spackman, Reid, Gray, Clarke , there’s a great game where we beat Wimbledon 4-3 a week or so before the Hillsborough disaster

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

88/89 re run on 20:25 - Apr 29 with 1996 viewsNorthernr

88/89 re run on 19:18 - Apr 29 by CliveWilsonSaid

I used to watch this over and over on video. Great music too.

Yes loving the Touch of Frost remix.

Also learned from this that we had American Football played at Loftus Road which I never knew.
88/89 re run on 20:39 - Apr 29 with 1979 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Excellent goal by Stein against West Ham. Maddix (almost) treble tackle sets it all up.

88/89 re run on 20:46 - Apr 29 with 1959 viewsWokingR

My wife has bigger pants than the shorts they wore back then !
88/89 re run on 21:12 - Apr 29 with 1910 viewsdezzar

Remember quite a few aways that season , last game at Anfield was a weird atmosphere just after Hillsborough. I couldnt believe the some of the heavy policing. Still Sinton , A Gray ,Falco ,Parker , Macca .Good times . Seem to remember some epic battles between Macca and Mark Hughes that season.
Login to get fewer ads

88/89 re run on 21:13 - Apr 29 with 1909 viewsToast_R

Richard Thompson becomes chairman at the age of 24. That's mental isnt it?

He appoints Trevor Francis as player manager. How did football stalwarts like him and likes of Don Howe feel about dealing with such a young herbert calling the shots?
[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 21:17]
88/89 re run on 21:39 - Apr 29 with 1869 viewsbosh67

That was fun. Interesting to remember that despite having such good defenders we still had a habit of gifting goals. We didn't half score some though. Thing that strikes me is how underrated Wayne Fereday was in our history books. Superb down both wings and at the back. 246 games the guy played for us. Outstanding.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

88/89 re run on 22:04 - Apr 29 with 1835 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

88/89 re run on 21:39 - Apr 29 by bosh67

That was fun. Interesting to remember that despite having such good defenders we still had a habit of gifting goals. We didn't half score some though. Thing that strikes me is how underrated Wayne Fereday was in our history books. Superb down both wings and at the back. 246 games the guy played for us. Outstanding.

I was thinking the same about Fereday.

88/89 re run on 22:10 - Apr 29 with 1819 viewsLazyFan

88/89 re run on 22:04 - Apr 29 by CliveWilsonSaid

I was thinking the same about Fereday.

At the time he was the fastest player for pace in top-flight football. No one came close to him on speed. Thing is, he was not that skilful. He made up for it with effort and blistering pace.

As he could not really shoot that great (apart from the odd one or two) he was often used as a fullback to counter the oppositions pacy winger. Thus making it 10 a-side.

zzzzzzzzzz

88/89 re run on 22:17 - Apr 29 with 1806 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Goal of the season-

I had Andy Grays first v Man Utd unsurprisingly.

Other notable goals-

Andy Grays second v Man Utd
M Falco v Southampton away
M Allen v Southampton away
M Allen v Newcastle
C Clarke v Coventry

Most iconic goal-

M Falco v Newcastle

Worst Miss-

M Allen v Spurs

Best side faced-

Everton

Special Mention-

Paul Parker and Dave Seaman

88/89 re run on 22:33 - Apr 29 with 1783 viewsloftboy

88/89 re run on 19:47 - Apr 29 by paulparker

The season turns around once Trevor Francis takes over and we sign, Sinton, Spackman, Reid, Gray, Clarke , there’s a great game where we beat Wimbledon 4-3 a week or so before the Hillsborough disaster

we we’re 4-1 up if I remember rightly

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

88/89 re run on 22:52 - Apr 29 with 1757 viewsdaveB

I watched that video on VHS so many times as a kid. I truly believed at the end of that season we had a team who could win the league. My Dad always said I was an idiot as a child
88/89 re run on 00:04 - Apr 30 with 1710 viewsloftboy

Just watched it, that pitch was awful, also missed 3 pens in a row, somethings never change!!

88/89 re run on 00:47 - Apr 30 with 1683 viewsCiderwithRsie

31 years ago. God, where has my bloody life gone.
88/89 re run on 06:11 - Apr 30 with 1649 viewsstowmarketrange

Attendances were poor that year despite some results,and not just for us.The Newcastle away game was watched by only 21,000,and a few of our home games were watched by 4 figure crowds.I think I went to most of the games home and away and saw some great wins though.

It was the dark days before Italia 90 made football popular again.Our clubs were still banned from European competitions,and hooligans still had their days terrorising innocent fans.And clough smacked the forest fan on the pitch.
88/89 re run on 07:06 - Apr 30 with 1622 viewsNorthernr

88/89 re run on 00:04 - Apr 30 by loftboy

Just watched it, that pitch was awful, also missed 3 pens in a row, somethings never change!!

Yes my grandad was, shall we say, less than enamoured with Trevor's two step penalty run up at Millwall.
88/89 re run on 08:50 - Apr 30 with 1543 viewsbosh67

Trying to remember why Colin Clarke struggled so much the following season? He looked the real deal in in 88/89. Nightmare to mark, hard as nails and an eye for goal. And then it seemed to fizzle out but can't remember why.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

88/89 re run on 08:58 - Apr 30 with 1525 viewsTheChef

88/89 re run on 21:39 - Apr 29 by bosh67

Wow, hadn't realised he played that many games for us.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

88/89 re run on 09:06 - Apr 30 with 1519 viewsLunarJetman

Woke up early this morning for some reason and idly flicking through the web to find this thread. Have now just finished watching the highlights before I have to get some work done!

Some great memories there! Need to get online to work now before my boss wonders where I am!
88/89 re run on 09:41 - Apr 30 with 1485 viewspaulparker

88/89 re run on 08:50 - Apr 30 by bosh67

Trying to remember why Colin Clarke struggled so much the following season? He looked the real deal in in 88/89. Nightmare to mark, hard as nails and an eye for goal. And then it seemed to fizzle out but can't remember why.

Change of system perhaps ?
We lost Gray & Martin Allen the following season which might of had an effect , we replaced Reid with Wilkins and then bought in wegerle ,Clarke would of had Paul Wright as a partnerat the start of that season but Falco was a much better player tbf
Also on that 88/89 season, anyone there for the Arsenal game at Highbury ? We sang Adams is a donkey for 80 minutes before they scored 2 in the last few minutes

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

88/89 re run on 11:04 - Apr 30 with 1442 viewsloftboy

88/89 re run on 09:41 - Apr 30 by paulparker

Change of system perhaps ?
We lost Gray & Martin Allen the following season which might of had an effect , we replaced Reid with Wilkins and then bought in wegerle ,Clarke would of had Paul Wright as a partnerat the start of that season but Falco was a much better player tbf
Also on that 88/89 season, anyone there for the Arsenal game at Highbury ? We sang Adams is a donkey for 80 minutes before they scored 2 in the last few minutes

Reid and Wilkins played one game together, Palace away, they totally dominated their midfield, a week later we beat Chelsea 4-2.

88/89 re run on 12:14 - Apr 30 with 1408 viewsCiderwithRsie

88/89 re run on 08:58 - Apr 30 by TheChef

Wow, hadn't realised he played that many games for us.

He very rarely missed a game - surprisingly few injuries (I suppose they couldn't catch him) and never seemed to fall out of favour with managers. Perhaps because he was very consistent, you pretty much knew what you were going to get with him - not many games where he destroyed the oppo but hard to remember a bad performance.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024