Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Conor Washington 18:08 - Aug 6 with 4850 viewsJogo

In talks with Charlton Athletic over a 2 year deal. Got me thinking, would he have faired better with us in a Mark Warburton side? Would he be worth a punt on a free to patch up our lightweight frontline?
Conor Washington on 12:33 - Aug 7 with 1116 viewsrobith

Conor Washington on 11:34 - Aug 7 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree. Had a good attitude and tried his hardest. Can't dislike any player who we can say that about.

Concur. You'd think he was a child murderer the way some people go on.

Find it dead weird how much abuse some of our post relegation players get when the crowd sat in silence when Hughes & Redknapp's mercenaries stank the place up.
Conor Washington on 12:41 - Aug 7 with 1089 viewsPhilmyRs

Conor Washington on 12:33 - Aug 7 by robith

Find it dead weird how much abuse some of our post relegation players get when the crowd sat in silence when Hughes & Redknapp's mercenaries stank the place up.

See it the same way.

He was a failure for us but never came accross as arrogant, ungrateful or unwilling to work hard. He put 100% in most games he played, it's jsut he struggled ability wise and not the answer for us.

Criticising the money paid for him, the scouts that identified him as a viable option or even the way managers used him during his time with us, is more appropriate and justifies criticism.
Conor Washington on 14:00 - Aug 7 with 1052 viewskarl

Conor Washington on 11:58 - Aug 7 by DannyPaddox

I’ve nothing against Conor Washington at all and wish him well whoever he plays for. What wound me up were people constantly saying because he runs around giving 100% all he needs is a goal and the confidence will come back. Doesn’t matter how much confidence a centre-forward has if he doesn’t have the technical ability, can’t read the game, and has next to no instinct for goal. And while we had to endure multiple seasons of Conor Washington we had a guy who did know where the back of the net was sitting on the bench. Idryssa Sylla. Who, though scoring frequently the few times he played, seemed a suitable target for the experts as he didn’t conform to some kind of bustling Roy of the Rovers type. There’s your double standards. Ah man what a wind-up those years were.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 12:31]

All correct to an extent but we were the first point his career stalled/went backwards so people giving him the benefit of doubt that a goal would put him on one of his, then regular, goal scoring runs wasn't so much pie in the sky?
Certainly that wore a bit thin later on and I'm sure his willingness to work hard in what was a very workmanlike team was more what gave him a place in the team. Certainly anyone now hoping a goal would put him on a run of scoring in Championship football would be very much guilty of fanciful thinking and would deserve criticism.
I do like the fella I have to admit, it is a shame he couldn't cut it after spending so much on him
Conor Washington on 14:22 - Aug 7 with 1035 viewsCamberleyR

Conor Washington on 12:41 - Aug 7 by PhilmyRs

See it the same way.

He was a failure for us but never came accross as arrogant, ungrateful or unwilling to work hard. He put 100% in most games he played, it's jsut he struggled ability wise and not the answer for us.

Criticising the money paid for him, the scouts that identified him as a viable option or even the way managers used him during his time with us, is more appropriate and justifies criticism.

Was he properly scouted though? It's hard to believe that before that little purple patch with Peterborough just before we signed him, that he would have been on anyone's radar.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Conor Washington on 14:28 - Aug 7 with 1018 viewsHunterhoop

Conor Washington on 12:33 - Aug 7 by robith

Who is going on? He’s never received vitriolic abuse, not on here anyway to my knowledge.

At games the bloke in front loved. Have him a much easier ride than he did Eze!

Most people know he tried hard but think he wasn’t very good and don’t want him back. All fairly straightforward.

Feels like a bit of a straw man re. any “hate” towards Conor.
Conor Washington on 14:29 - Aug 7 with 1015 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Conor Washington on 11:15 - Aug 7 by paulparker

Don’t get the hate for him, always gave 100 % for the shirt when I saw him
Same double standards from posters who last week were going on about how great a pro Peter Ramage was , yet he hardly played, was injured and crap despite being on big wages

Ramage only played 12 games less than Washington.
Conor Washington on 14:49 - Aug 7 with 989 viewsfrancisbowles

Conor Washington on 11:15 - Aug 7 by paulparker

Don’t get the hate for him, always gave 100 % for the shirt when I saw him
Same double standards from posters who last week were going on about how great a pro Peter Ramage was , yet he hardly played, was injured and crap despite being on big wages

How much did we pay for Ramage?
Conor Washington (n/t) on 14:53 - Aug 7 with 982 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 14:54]
Login to get fewer ads

Conor Washington on 14:55 - Aug 7 with 975 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Conor Washington on 11:58 - Aug 7 by DannyPaddox

I’ve nothing against Conor Washington at all and wish him well whoever he plays for. What wound me up were people constantly saying because he runs around giving 100% all he needs is a goal and the confidence will come back. Doesn’t matter how much confidence a centre-forward has if he doesn’t have the technical ability, can’t read the game, and has next to no instinct for goal. And while we had to endure multiple seasons of Conor Washington we had a guy who did know where the back of the net was sitting on the bench. Idryssa Sylla. Who, though scoring frequently the few times he played, seemed a suitable target for the experts as he didn’t conform to some kind of bustling Roy of the Rovers type. There’s your double standards. Ah man what a wind-up those years were.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 12:31]

Exactly.

Clearly Washington is a marmite player on this board. Those that appreciated him running around a lot (in his case like a headless chicken) v those that think a striker should be able to read the game and get into scoring positions.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 14:59]
Conor Washington on 14:59 - Aug 7 with 963 viewslightwaterhoop

I dont think we ever saw the best of Conor.At least i hope we didnt!!
Conor Washington on 16:20 - Aug 7 with 896 viewsfrancisbowles

Conor Washington on 14:59 - Aug 7 by lightwaterhoop

I dont think we ever saw the best of Conor.At least i hope we didnt!!

Normally, we say he didn't get a fair crack, like David Wheeler, Paul Smyth, and a few others that I can't think of at the moment.

Can't say that about Conner. He had plenty of games but very little return. He tried hard, the crowd were not really slating him but he just seemed to get worse and he hasn't done much since he left either. Sorry to have to say it but considering what he cost, must be one of our worst ever buys.
Conor Washington on 16:26 - Aug 7 with 887 viewskensalriser

Was it Holloway that persisted with Washington despite weekly evidence he was going to score only very rarely? Most strange.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Conor Washington on 17:03 - Aug 7 with 862 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Conor Washington on 14:55 - Aug 7 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Exactly.

Clearly Washington is a marmite player on this board. Those that appreciated him running around a lot (in his case like a headless chicken) v those that think a striker should be able to read the game and get into scoring positions.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 14:59]

I' probably fit into both categories - I liked him as a professional but thought that he wasn't very good at reading the game, getting into scoring positions or taking those chances when he did get there.

But I have far more respect for him than I do for Sylla who was bone lazy on too man occasions.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Conor Washington on 17:21 - Aug 7 with 853 viewsslmrstid

The thing with Conor was that he wasnt good enough for the Championship - pure and simple.

He was a trier, and fans will generally respect a trier. They rarely dislike someone for being not very good, unless its not very good AND not a trier.

I think its fair to say I respected him for being a trier, whilst at the same time also thinking he wasnt good enough for the level we needed him to be at.

His biggest problem came from the start of course - he was signed as Charlie Austin's replacement and given Charlie's shirt! Always going to be huge shoes to fill.
Conor Washington on 21:24 - Aug 7 with 790 viewshamptonhillhoop

Have been in Edinburgh last couple of days. Got a cab to the airport on way home. Driver was a Hearts fan. Washington came up, his first words "Wouldn't say he was a natural goalscorer, but he worked really hard." Hmmm, we said
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024