Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Soup 18:28 - Sep 30 with 2532 viewsBoston

As we draw closer to the winter, my thoughts turn to soup. Favourite British is good old Oxtail, over here Clam Chowder, though I’ve developed quite a liking for Pea & Ham recently.
Many years ago I was in a Chinese restaurant at DuPont Circle in Washington, went into a basement eatery and had a beef and tomato variety that blew me away.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 18:30]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Soup on 18:33 - Sep 30 with 1810 viewsbosh67

I'm a bit of a pea and mint soup fan myself.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Soup on 18:51 - Sep 30 with 1761 viewsBucksRanger

Broccoli and Stilton for me. Lidl used to sell a decent canned version.
Soup on 18:52 - Sep 30 with 1761 viewscolinallcars

As far as canned soups go, I like Baxters. Especially Royal Game and cock-a-leekie.
Soup on 18:58 - Sep 30 with 1753 viewsRed_Ranger

Life is a minestone but there's only one show in town....................French Onion made with beef stock and with toast and bundles of gruyerre on top
Soup on 19:07 - Sep 30 with 1735 views2Thomas2Bowles

I make my own, Chicken and veg mostly.

If I'm under the weather, Heinz tomato with lots of black pepper and a ham sandwich
been an almost lifetime thing that always seems to work.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Soup on 19:18 - Sep 30 with 1714 viewsthompsonridd

Tesco 3 bean chilli soup is my favourite
Soup on 19:22 - Sep 30 with 1708 viewsaston_hoop

In a tin, used to enjoy a Mulligatawny or oxtail. At home in the winter, I like to make pea soup and have it with crispy bacon and crunchy bread.

If you want to go international, a Peruvian Sopa Criolla is a delightful beef noodle chilli and egg concoction. lovely stuff

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Soup on 19:26 - Sep 30 with 1693 viewsdanehoop

If I'm making my own, then its corn chowder. Super tasty thick healthy soup for the winter.

If its ready made then a nice think pumpkin or squash soup.

Never knowingly understood

Login to get fewer ads

Soup on 19:34 - Sep 30 with 1675 viewsMrSheen

Soup on 19:26 - Sep 30 by danehoop

If I'm making my own, then its corn chowder. Super tasty thick healthy soup for the winter.

If its ready made then a nice think pumpkin or squash soup.

Pea & Ham or a fierce Hot & Sour please.
Soup on 19:53 - Sep 30 with 1631 viewsMickS

Chicken broth with carrot, parsnips and noodles. Then add chilli and coriander finished with white pepper and croutons. Autumn and winter food wipes the floor with spring and summer grub unless it’s the bbq.
Soup on 20:38 - Sep 30 with 1578 viewsR_from_afar

Great thread. When I was very young, soup was the only food I liked but after I had my tonsils out, I turned into the glutton I am now. I still love soup - cheap, packet, tinned, gourmet, home made, whatever - and have it for lunch most days.

You don't see celery soup in the shops much these days but I used to love it. Baxter's lobster bisque is wonderful. Parten bree - crab and rice - and cullen skink - smoked haddock are two great ones to try if you are in Scotland. My mum's split pea soup used to be terrific with homemade bread on a cold day.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Soup on 20:44 - Sep 30 with 1569 viewsdistortR

cream of tomato is the family go-to when anyone has a cold.
Creamy leek and potato for me, all the veg nicked from my employers garden adds a certain frisson.
Soup on 21:09 - Sep 30 with 1525 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I make my own throughout the winter. Mostly vegetable based depends what needs using up. Sometimes I follow recipes - one of the best I made was a fairly simple leek soup. Last thing when you serve it put in lumps of Caerphilly cheese and leave to melt. Then dip in bread. mmmm

I made one the other week to use up a glut of tomatoes that I grew on my balcony which was ok.

A simple courgette soup is probably my favourite.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Soup on 21:12 - Sep 30 with 1521 viewsJuzzie

Very much an Eastern European/Russian flavour in our household.... chicken, potatoes, spilt peas, carrot, onion, herbs, broth, dash of sour cream and so on with home made bread.

[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 21:13]
Soup on 21:15 - Sep 30 with 1504 viewsqpr_1968

home made, have to have a nice warm baguette to dip in.

oxtail soup, if heinz.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Soup on 21:19 - Sep 30 with 1490 viewsBklynRanger

Soup, yes. Good topic.

I do love oxtail but have worried recently that the heinz version has lost its shine a bit. Need to find a top end version, £3 a pop sort of thing - that level of investment. Open to suggestions. Corn chowder is a good call too.

Pushing the category a bit but have started to make Taiwanese beef noodle soup. Had the best one ever in Bangkok (never been to Taiwan) and been looking for a recipe for a while. This is a good one if anyone's interested. Only adjustment I'd make is use far less vegetable oil, makes it a bit greasy otherwise.

https://tasty.co/recipe/taiwanese-beef-noodle-soup
Soup on 21:48 - Sep 30 with 1462 viewsdannyblue

Love a soup. Easy to make. Cheap. Healthy.

Common meals round here...

Lablabi - Tunisian. Stale French bread, chick peas and broth, harissa, coriander, diced fresh tomato, red onion and cucumber, good olive oil.
Thai-style - curry paste, lime leaves, coconut milk, maybe some frozen veg (I like okra), frozen pollock.
Dal - yellow split peas, red lentils, cumin, ginger, touch of turmeric, butter, more salt and garlic than you can imagine.
Cabbage, inspired by Slovak Kapustnica - caraway, paprika, cabbage, onion, garlic, butter beans, bit of vinegar.
Leek and potato
Mushroom
Gazpacho - tin of tomatoes, a pepper, some cucumber, some onion blitzed in a blender, cold.
Sopa Negra - cumin, garlic, tin of black beans, boiled egg.
Red lentil and tomato - can go Italian, or Turkish depending on how its spiced.
Chicken - can't ever roast a chicken without using the carcass for stock. Perfect by itself, or with vegetables and noodles cooked in.
Soup on 21:53 - Sep 30 with 1452 viewsderbyhoop

Leek & potato
Carrot & coriander
Butternut squash

Jamie Oliver made a great Minestrone with all the bits of vegetable that you find at the bottom of the fridge, with assorted pasta thrown in to bulk it out.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Soup on 21:58 - Sep 30 with 1434 viewsLazyFan

Soup on 21:53 - Sep 30 by derbyhoop

Leek & potato
Carrot & coriander
Butternut squash

Jamie Oliver made a great Minestrone with all the bits of vegetable that you find at the bottom of the fridge, with assorted pasta thrown in to bulk it out.

Heinz Big Soup - Chicken and Vegatable (large can).

The science shows its good for you:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/will-chicken-soup-really-cure-your-cold

I like the big soup as it has pieces of real chicken in it and real veg chunks. So, its a meal not a drink to me.

Also, better than most on protein content.

zzzzzzzzzz

Soup on 22:01 - Sep 30 with 1419 viewsToast_R

Carrot and Coriander or a decent French Onion
Soup on 22:04 - Sep 30 with 1413 viewsenfieldargh

Soup on 21:58 - Sep 30 by LazyFan

Heinz Big Soup - Chicken and Vegatable (large can).

The science shows its good for you:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/will-chicken-soup-really-cure-your-cold

I like the big soup as it has pieces of real chicken in it and real veg chunks. So, its a meal not a drink to me.

Also, better than most on protein content.

yeah Heinz Big Soup is addictive.

Love Hot & Sour Soup from the Chinese.

Any Thai soup.

Love making my own vegetable soup, chop up a load of veg, plenty of seasoning, veg stock water and oat milk...simmer an hour or so then blend it up.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Soup on 22:21 - Sep 30 with 1391 viewsqueensparker

Hot and Sour, Tom Yam, Won Ton.

The Asians have got us licked when it comes to soup.
Soup on 22:22 - Sep 30 with 1389 viewsMickS

Soup on 22:04 - Sep 30 by enfieldargh

yeah Heinz Big Soup is addictive.

Love Hot & Sour Soup from the Chinese.

Any Thai soup.

Love making my own vegetable soup, chop up a load of veg, plenty of seasoning, veg stock water and oat milk...simmer an hour or so then blend it up.

When it comes to the blending, I do half of the pot and add it back to the diced veg. It’s a winner.
Soup on 22:24 - Sep 30 with 1386 viewsaston_hoop

Soup on 21:19 - Sep 30 by BklynRanger

Soup, yes. Good topic.

I do love oxtail but have worried recently that the heinz version has lost its shine a bit. Need to find a top end version, £3 a pop sort of thing - that level of investment. Open to suggestions. Corn chowder is a good call too.

Pushing the category a bit but have started to make Taiwanese beef noodle soup. Had the best one ever in Bangkok (never been to Taiwan) and been looking for a recipe for a while. This is a good one if anyone's interested. Only adjustment I'd make is use far less vegetable oil, makes it a bit greasy otherwise.

Yes! I've actually made that exact recipe during lockdown as cooking became my thing. I was supposed to be visiting Taiwan this year but I instead went through a phase of bringing places to me by cooking dishes instead and that was one! need to try it again as autumn sets in.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Soup on 22:29 - Sep 30 with 1379 viewsMickS

Soup on 21:19 - Sep 30 by BklynRanger

Soup, yes. Good topic.

I’m doing that, mate. Lovely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024