Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What was the first CD you bought? 21:05 - Oct 12 with 6172 viewsmarkrtid

I remember some bloke on ‘Pebble Mill at One’ claiming you could spread jam on these and they would still play. He did and it didn’t. RIP Pebble Mill at One.

So you just splashed out on a cd player in 85 or later whatever. Did you update your vinyls? Or go for what was around at the time?
Anyway, My first was ‘Eden’ by Talk Talk from ‘Our Price‘ in Hounslow. The 2nd was some Erasure cd for my wife to justify the need for a cd player.
What was the first CD you bought? on 21:13 - Oct 12 with 3859 viewsLythamR

My first were bought the day I got the CD player

Thompson Twins - Into the gap
DIre Straights - Brothers in arms
Kate Bush - Lionheart
What was the first CD you bought? on 21:18 - Oct 12 with 3847 viewsmarkrtid

What was the first CD you bought? on 21:13 - Oct 12 by LythamR

My first were bought the day I got the CD player

Thompson Twins - Into the gap
DIre Straights - Brothers in arms
Kate Bush - Lionheart

Can you remember what year?
Asking for a friend.

2 out of 3 aint bad.
What was the first CD you bought? on 21:25 - Oct 12 with 3828 viewscolinallcars

When I bought my first CD player in the early 80s, there wasn't much choice. Mostly classical, a bit of jazz and big pop names like Elton John. Whatever I wanted they only had on vinyl.
A few years later I realised how good vinyl sounded on a really good system, it was the other way round - I went into the shop asking for an album on vinyl but they only had 'em on CD.
So, the first 2 CDs I had came free with the CD player. The Superior Sound Of Elton John and George Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue.
What was the first CD you bought? on 21:38 - Oct 12 with 3801 viewsmarkrtid

What was the first CD you bought? on 21:25 - Oct 12 by colinallcars

When I bought my first CD player in the early 80s, there wasn't much choice. Mostly classical, a bit of jazz and big pop names like Elton John. Whatever I wanted they only had on vinyl.
A few years later I realised how good vinyl sounded on a really good system, it was the other way round - I went into the shop asking for an album on vinyl but they only had 'em on CD.
So, the first 2 CDs I had came free with the CD player. The Superior Sound Of Elton John and George Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue.

Yeah but did you spread jam on them?
What was the first CD you bought? on 21:42 - Oct 12 with 3795 viewscolinallcars

What was the first CD you bought? on 21:38 - Oct 12 by markrtid

Yeah but did you spread jam on them?

I might as well have !
What was the first CD you bought? on 21:54 - Oct 12 with 3784 viewsLythamR

What was the first CD you bought? on 21:18 - Oct 12 by markrtid

Can you remember what year?
Asking for a friend.

2 out of 3 aint bad.

would have been 85

certain of Brothers in Arms and Into the Gap and I definitely bought 3, if thats too early for Lionheart then it would have been Duran Duran - Rio.
What was the first CD you bought? on 22:00 - Oct 12 with 3775 viewsstowmarketrange

I’ve finally got my old stereo set up and listening to all my old 70’s lps.Now on Mungo Jerry’s greatest hits.
Anyone want my Gary glitter records?
What was the first CD you bought? on 22:11 - Oct 12 with 3757 viewsloftboy

Bought two at the same time, Squeeze greatest hits and Dire Straits brothers in arms

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

What was the first CD you bought? on 22:39 - Oct 12 with 3711 viewsqueensparker

Now 12, it had a picture of a swimming pool on the cover.

For me it was the other way round, someone got me the CD as a Christmas present and then I spent months and months saving up for one of Dixon’s cheapest CD players to plug into my hifi.

The first song I ever listened to on a CD was therefore by Wet Wet Wet, can still remember it!
What was the first CD you bought? on 22:47 - Oct 12 with 3695 viewsPerth_R

First CD was blank so I could record off the radio and try and keep the family quiet while doing so.
What was the first CD you bought? on 10:22 - Oct 13 with 3629 viewsMonahoop

Rewind. A Rolling Stones compilation of 70's stuff purchased around '87 I think. I still have it but god knows when I last played it.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

What was the first CD you bought? on 10:29 - Oct 13 with 3618 viewsMick_S

We joined one of those CD clubs where your first 5 were "free" and you had to purchase throughout the coming months - the only one I can remember is Led Zepplin's greatest hits.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

What was the first CD you bought? on 10:37 - Oct 13 with 3605 viewswelwynranger

Genesis .

Invisible Touch
What was the first CD you bought? on 11:39 - Oct 13 with 3566 viewsPeterHucker

What was the first CD you bought? on 10:37 - Oct 13 by welwynranger

Genesis .

Invisible Touch

When I got my first CD player (May 1990) I re-bought 6 favourite albums that I already owned on record or cassette.

Prince Sign o the Times
Dexys Midnight Runners Geno
Housemartins London 0 Hull 4 (with lots of extra songs that I didn't have on the record)
The Clash London Calling
New Order Substance
The Pogues Rum Sodomy & The Lash

When people came round I used to play them the intro of Bizarre Love Triangle to show off the clarity of sound and the fancy stereo effects on that remix.
What was the first CD you bought? on 12:06 - Oct 13 with 3542 viewsJuzzie

Bought my first CD player early 1988 as that's when I joined A&M Records.

The first CD's I acquired (legitimately) from work were;

Sting "Bring On The Night" - 2CD live concert
Herb Alpert "Keep Your Eye on Me" He was the boss after all (the A in A&M)
Janet Jackson "Control: The Remixes"
Good Morning Vietnam soundtrack
a couple of others I can't remember.

I still have the first two.

The first CD I bought was around the same time and it was a CD single of "Always On My Mind" by The Pet Shop Boys.
What was the first CD you bought? on 12:37 - Oct 13 with 3507 viewsqprxtc

Git my first CD player in 1993. Hated the things and continued buying records until I was forced into buying a CD player as Record Companies stopped bringing out records of bands that i liked, only CDs.

My first CD was The Big Express by XTC (one trick pony, me).

Didn’t think it sounded any better than a record. Still don’t.
What was the first CD you bought? on 12:41 - Oct 13 with 3501 viewsrobith

The Great Escape by blur. It was then the only CD I owned for like a year as I was 12 with no income so it's ingrained on my brain
What was the first CD you bought? on 13:03 - Oct 13 with 3463 viewsMick_S

My CD player had a shuffle function. Beat that.

What was the first CD you bought? on 13:05 - Oct 13 with 3462 viewsJuzzie

What was the first CD you bought? on 12:37 - Oct 13 by qprxtc

Git my first CD player in 1993. Hated the things and continued buying records until I was forced into buying a CD player as Record Companies stopped bringing out records of bands that i liked, only CDs.

My first CD was The Big Express by XTC (one trick pony, me).

Didn’t think it sounded any better than a record. Still don’t.

"as Record Companies stopped bringing out records....." - for the record (unintentional pun), it was Woolworths who created this situation but is often record companies who get the blame.

Record companies wanted to carry on selling LP's but as they sold to the shop, not the consumer, it was the shop that dictated things. Woolies, who accounted for something like 55% of all record sales at the time, realised that CD's took up less space so more could be racked. As a result they stopped buying LP's so record companies had to stop making them even though there was public demand for them.
There was no direct-to-consumer infrastructure in place then to get LP's to the public.
What was the first CD you bought? on 13:28 - Oct 13 with 3435 viewsCamberleyR

What was the first CD you bought? on 13:03 - Oct 13 by Mick_S

My CD player had a shuffle function. Beat that.

I thought that was a brilliant innovation when I got my first CD player to go with my other hi-fi separates in 1989 (a Denon DCD-910, still got it and it still works perfectly but it hardly ever gets played nowadays) and also being able to use a remote control to skip tracks, fantastic. However these days if I put a complete album on my iPod and it's on shuffle, I will order it so that the tracks play in the order they were on the album.

For what it's worth, I think the first CD I bought was 'The Dude' by Quincy Jones.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

What was the first CD you bought? on 13:33 - Oct 13 with 3430 viewsenfieldargh

One of my early jobs was selling/marketing over production audio music cassette tapes and the final few hundred pallets of imported 8 tack cartridges.

The 8 tracks were all American Country artists like Hank Williams, Glen Campbell, Carl Perkins and other horrors.

Used to offer retail bins into Petrol Stations, Motorway Service Stations, the odd corner shop and fill em up with the horrible things.

The cassettes where little better but I also sold a percentage of chart albums so got to have a pretty decent collection.

Sadly I binned most of them years ago never thought to keep in sleeves.

Went onto CD in '82 ish but left the company in 1984 after so very few found their way into my collection.

The company did own a record shop in Hendon so most of my albums came from there at super staff discount rates.

My boss was a gorgeous blonde called Theresa something, sadly she married a bloke who surname was Green!!!

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

What was the first CD you bought? on 13:37 - Oct 13 with 3426 viewsderbyhoop

Didn't every body have a CD copy of Brothers In Arms ?

The first CD I can remember buying was Tango In The Night by Fleetwood Mac. Follow up to Rumours.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

What was the first CD you bought? on 13:39 - Oct 13 with 3418 viewsMick_S

What was the first CD you bought? on 13:28 - Oct 13 by CamberleyR

I thought that was a brilliant innovation when I got my first CD player to go with my other hi-fi separates in 1989 (a Denon DCD-910, still got it and it still works perfectly but it hardly ever gets played nowadays) and also being able to use a remote control to skip tracks, fantastic. However these days if I put a complete album on my iPod and it's on shuffle, I will order it so that the tracks play in the order they were on the album.

For what it's worth, I think the first CD I bought was 'The Dude' by Quincy Jones.

What was the first CD you bought? on 13:50 - Oct 13 with 3398 viewsR_from_afar

What was the first CD you bought? on 13:37 - Oct 13 by derbyhoop

Didn't every body have a CD copy of Brothers In Arms ?

The first CD I can remember buying was Tango In The Night by Fleetwood Mac. Follow up to Rumours.

Sorry to be a pedant but "Tusk" was actually the follow-up to "Rumours"

I remember marvelling as I saw my mate using a CD player, it seemed so futuristic. Just programme in the the track you wanted and off you go.

I bought my first CD player, a Technics separate, in 1990, and I still have it and use it regularly. I'm not into MP3 or streaming music so my music collection remains CD based, with a few records and audio cassettes from way back. My hi-fi separates system can still play those formats, plus I now have a jack plug for my wife's MP3 player.

My first CD was "The real thing" by Faith No More

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What was the first CD you bought? on 14:01 - Oct 13 with 3389 viewsCamberleyR

What was the first CD you bought? on 13:39 - Oct 13 by Mick_S

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024