Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Congestion Charge Zone extension 09:33 - Oct 19 with 11236 viewsGloryHunter

If you live within the North / South Circular Roads, you might soon find yourself inside the Congestion Charge Zone. With NO residents' discount. So £15 a day to drive anywhere.

https://www.change.org/p/petition-the-extension-of-congestion-charge?redirect=fa
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 12:30]
Congestion Charge Zone extension (n/t) on 09:33 - Oct 19 with 4194 viewsGloryHunter

[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 12:32]
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 10:32 - Oct 19 with 4038 viewsstevec

Frightening if it’s true, someone’s trying to kill London.

Do we know if this is a government initiative or Khan playing silly buggers?
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 10:36 - Oct 19 with 4027 viewsbosh67

Signed.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 10:44 - Oct 19 with 4005 viewsJuzzie

It's been known for a while that the ULEZ was going to be expanded from the same as the congestion zone to the north and south circular this time next year so this doesn't comes as a surprise.

I think in the long run (I'm talking decades) this might actually be a good thing but it's going to cause major upheaval for years as London no longer becomes such a dominant force in the country. Will probably affect property prices for a while as they drop but then they might grow again once London becomes a nice, breathable place to live. So either sell now or keep your home for the long haul.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 10:52 - Oct 19 with 3975 viewsGloryHunter

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 10:32 - Oct 19 by stevec

This is probably the latest wheeze from Andrew Gilligan (yes, THAT Andrew Gilligan), who was previously Boris Johnson's "Cycling Commissioner" when Boris was Mayor, and is now Boris's "Transport Adviser".

Gilligan is rabidly anti-car. He was behind the cycle super-highway, and more recently the road closures all across the UK, in the name of "Low Traffic Neighbourhoods". He works for the Downing Street Policy Unit, which seems to be dictating these schemes to TfL which, in turn, is imposing them on London Mayor Sadiq Khan as conditions for its public transport bale-outs.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 10:59 - Oct 19 with 3948 viewsLythamR

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 10:52 - Oct 19 by GloryHunter

This is probably the latest wheeze from Andrew Gilligan (yes, THAT Andrew Gilligan), who was previously Boris Johnson's "Cycling Commissioner" when Boris was Mayor, and is now Boris's "Transport Adviser".

Gilligan is rabidly anti-car. He was behind the cycle super-highway, and more recently the road closures all across the UK, in the name of "Low Traffic Neighbourhoods". He works for the Downing Street Policy Unit, which seems to be dictating these schemes to TfL which, in turn, is imposing them on London Mayor Sadiq Khan as conditions for its public transport bale-outs.

for someone driving into HQ from beyond the north circular that would add £345 to the cost of attending matches on top of any parking charges. It wouldnt be so bad if there was decent parking at railway stations. I would be more than happy with coming in from West Ruislip on the tube but you cant get a parking space now never mind when a plan like this is activated
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:06 - Oct 19 with 3924 viewsPaddyhoops

Not surprised. Sadiq Khan is desperately trying to claw back the money that TFL are hemorrhaging.
I'm all for a cngestion zone and limiting traffic in Central London however as someone who HAS to travel into Central London with materials and plant, I dont have a choice.
The motorist are basically being sqeezed off the road by bus lanes, bicycle lanes and extended footpaths.
I've got news for Mr Khan. They're are little or no cyclists or pedestrians in London anymore. Apparently due to some pandemic called covid.
Try travelling from western Avenue to King's Cross.
Limited motorist lanes have made an already congested area an absolute nightmare.
Try travelling up the Finchley Road through Swiss cottage . A two mile journey has been extended by at least a half an hour. God help any one living in that area who have to put up with the fumes of sedentary traffic.
How is this helping the environment?
He really is a useless mayor and that takes some doing seeing who he inherited the job from!!
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:09 - Oct 19 with 3913 viewsJuzzie

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 10:44 - Oct 19 by Juzzie

It's been known for a while that the ULEZ was going to be expanded from the same as the congestion zone to the north and south circular this time next year so this doesn't comes as a surprise.

I think in the long run (I'm talking decades) this might actually be a good thing but it's going to cause major upheaval for years as London no longer becomes such a dominant force in the country. Will probably affect property prices for a while as they drop but then they might grow again once London becomes a nice, breathable place to live. So either sell now or keep your home for the long haul.

Hi Paddyhoops,
please explain why you disagree?

I'm not in favour of this but London cannot have year-on-year exponential growth that it has for the last 30+ years without it becoming a polluted hell hole. It's already breaking European annual limits within the first week of each year.

I totally agree that all that the Congestion Charge Zone has done is either increased costs for those that have to use it (if a business they pass on the costs by increasing prices) or pushed out the congestion to a ring around London.

Maybe TfL can stop issuing so many private hire licenses, the amount of minicabs in London is ridiculous. When I used to commute (before WFH) the amount of single occupancy cabs coming from Heathrow and down the A4/Cromwell Road was ridiculous. Are all these people so full of themselves they can't take the underground?

If anyone can think of an alternative to getting pollution down, I'm all ears.

[Post edited 19 Oct 2020 11:30]
Login to get fewer ads

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:21 - Oct 19 with 3852 viewsNoelmc

I'm sure I heard on one of the London news programmes, that bringing this proposal forward is one of the conditions of the Government continuing to help bail out Tfl, whose income has fallen off the cliff as a result of the pandemic.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2020 11:21]
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:22 - Oct 19 with 3848 viewsstowmarketrange

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 10:59 - Oct 19 by LythamR

for someone driving into HQ from beyond the north circular that would add £345 to the cost of attending matches on top of any parking charges. It wouldnt be so bad if there was decent parking at railway stations. I would be more than happy with coming in from West Ruislip on the tube but you cant get a parking space now never mind when a plan like this is activated

I thought it was only mon-fri until 6.30pm?It shouldn’t affect us going to games if that is right.

I think if I lived in London I wouldn’t bother owning a car.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:28 - Oct 19 with 3831 viewsMaggsinho

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:22 - Oct 19 by stowmarketrange

I thought it was only mon-fri until 6.30pm?It shouldn’t affect us going to games if that is right.

It's been changed, now it's 0700-2200 every day, weekends included except Christmas Day.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:30 - Oct 19 with 3820 viewsPaddyhoops

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:09 - Oct 19 by Juzzie

Hi Paddyhoops,
please explain why you disagree?

I'm not in favour of this but London cannot have year-on-year exponential growth that it has for the last 30+ years without it becoming a polluted hell hole. It's already breaking European annual limits within the first week of each year.

I totally agree that all that the Congestion Charge Zone has done is either increased costs for those that have to use it (if a business they pass on the costs by increasing prices) or pushed out the congestion to a ring around London.

Maybe TfL can stop issuing so many private hire licenses, the amount of minicabs in London is ridiculous. When I used to commute (before WFH) the amount of single occupancy cabs coming from Heathrow and down the A4/Cromwell Road was ridiculous. Are all these people so full of themselves they can't take the underground?

If anyone can think of an alternative to getting pollution down, I'm all ears.

[Post edited 19 Oct 2020 11:30]

Well Juzzie, as I said I have to travel into London by van.
I drive a 3.5 tonne van which is two years old with an ad blue system and a DPF filtration system. I have to pay nearly 10 quid an hour when I park in places like Islington, nearly 40 pound a day in parking in most other boroughs and on top of that 15 quid a day in congestion charge so I'd like to think some of that money goes towards a cleaner future.
My next van will be a Hybrid.
I'm doing my best but sorry mate I can't turn round to my missus and kids and tell them I can't earn a living anymore because I'm worried about the fumes I'm contributing to.
Get public transport in order. That shouldn't be a problems as there will be far fewer commuters from in the future.
I'm hopeful that we will be all driving electric in the future especially by the time I retire!!
I'm all for a cleaner future but I can tell you from my own experience, needless traffic jams don't help anyone!
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:40 - Oct 19 with 3780 viewsPlanetHonneywood

When will this end?

The M25 probably!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:43 - Oct 19 with 3772 viewsBlackCrowe

Khan has been so utterly out of his depth throughout his time as Mayor, he makes Livingstone and Johnson look like inspriational leaders of this great city.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:50 - Oct 19 with 3748 viewsAntti_Heinola

Great news. The air quality in London, while still hardly good, has improved enormously thanks to the C charge. Excellent news it's being extended.

Bare bones.

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:51 - Oct 19 with 3744 viewsJuzzie

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:30 - Oct 19 by Paddyhoops

Well Juzzie, as I said I have to travel into London by van.
I drive a 3.5 tonne van which is two years old with an ad blue system and a DPF filtration system. I have to pay nearly 10 quid an hour when I park in places like Islington, nearly 40 pound a day in parking in most other boroughs and on top of that 15 quid a day in congestion charge so I'd like to think some of that money goes towards a cleaner future.
My next van will be a Hybrid.
I'm doing my best but sorry mate I can't turn round to my missus and kids and tell them I can't earn a living anymore because I'm worried about the fumes I'm contributing to.
Get public transport in order. That shouldn't be a problems as there will be far fewer commuters from in the future.
I'm hopeful that we will be all driving electric in the future especially by the time I retire!!
I'm all for a cleaner future but I can tell you from my own experience, needless traffic jams don't help anyone!

I always felt from day one of the congestion charge that all it would do is just push traffic problems outwards and if, for example, 100% of the people travelling by car/van etc just paid the levy then the decrease in traffic would be zero. Hardly solving the problem that.

Pricing people out of using a vehicle is not the way but that's the way they've chosen because they can't control the beast they created. Public transport is a joke.

This, as said above, is the result of exponential growth in London that everyone is reliant upon and when the plug is pulled on that there'll be a lot of collateral damage.

They literally have no idea how to sort this out other than pricing people out of it. London will become a ghost town.

For me, step 1 would be to stop issuing so many PHV licenses, curb the renewals

2 - Construction lorries can only come in and leave at certain times of the day. Yes, this may means projects go on longer but they cannot be driving around London all day.

3 - Commercial small vehicles (i.e. not lorries) people such as yourself don't pay as long as the vehicle is clearly fit for purpose.

4 - sort out public transport, this is singularly the biggest challenge.

Governments etc always cry they don't have money but when things happen (such as 9/11. 7/7, invading other countries etc) money is suddenly available. You then had Theresa May saying there's no magic money tree then suddenly she found £1billion out of nowhere to give to the DUP. Handy that.
I've always believed the money, our money, is there. They just don't want to spend it.

Or maybe we could all re-train as a ballerina.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2020 12:01]
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:51 - Oct 19 with 3740 viewsJuzzie

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:50 - Oct 19 by Antti_Heinola

Great news. The air quality in London, while still hardly good, has improved enormously thanks to the C charge. Excellent news it's being extended.

Does the C stand for Covid?!
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 12:05 - Oct 19 with 3690 viewsgobbles

I can't believe this is true. The idea that you would be charged £15 every day you used your car is crazy. It has been claimed that this was a demand from Government ministers to agree a bailout from TfL along with scrapping free travel for kids and OAPs.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 12:11 - Oct 19 with 3667 viewskensalriser

Government strong arming Tfl in the full knowledge that the Mayor will take the brunt of the criticism from people who don't know the truth or won't accept it, as evidenced in this very thread.

It's a bit like the old playground trick of tapping your mate's far shoulder and laughing as he fronts up to the person on that side instead of you.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 12:19 - Oct 19 with 3635 viewsPaddyhoops

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:50 - Oct 19 by Antti_Heinola

Fair point Antti. However until the Royal opera House opens my first job as a ballerina is on hold.
Guess I'll just have to carry on breaking my Bollocks as plasterer in Central London for the time being.
Please don't take this the wrong way and tell me to piss off if you want but it would be interesting to know what your profession is?
I take its a very low carbon one!!
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 12:23 - Oct 19 with 3619 viewsizlingtonhoop

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:22 - Oct 19 by stowmarketrange

Which is how I live.

Perfectly enjoyably.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 12:32 - Oct 19 with 3582 viewsLblock

Load of old dangly bollox this idea along with LTN's which are so counter productive round our way it's laughable.

You want clean air?
Then how about investing in the alternatives which were being lauded (and heavily discounted) until recently...... invest in electric charging points everywhere and return to zero charge for minimal emission vehicles. Make parking for those vehicles cheap.
Watch the change whilst not killing London and also giving a boost to the new car market.

LTN's are a joke and downright bleedin' dangerous - you just gotta hope the first very public sad death attributable to an ambulance / paramedic not getting to a patient quick enough is directly linked to one of these tw@t policy makers. Also hope that the police can publicly state "yeah we would've caught your mugger, rescued your property, responded to your call but with these bollox bollards we just can't chase moped scum anymore" and state that to a public supporter of this cr@p.

Meanwhile we sit in endless traffic needlessly spewing money, pollution, time and stress into the air as we sit alongside empty cycle lanes, deserted bus lanes (or empty buses) and streets being locked off for no good reason.

Damn...... I told myself I wouldn't contribute to these threads again.
I'll leave it there.....

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 12:34 - Oct 19 with 3545 views2Thomas2Bowles

Power went to Khan's head thought he could take on the Tories thinking Labour were going to win the GE and was against Brexit.

Boosting how he was going to build a load of houses been slagging off the tories and Boris for years.

Goes cap in hand and we all get kicked in the bollocks.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 12:37 - Oct 19 with 3569 viewsRanger_Things

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 10:32 - Oct 19 by stevec

Government plan. Khan is trying to fight it.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/oct/16/london-congestion-charge-zone-cl

They also want to take away free travel for kids.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2020 12:45]
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 12:53 - Oct 19 with 3497 viewsGloryHunter

This is absolutely not Sadiq Kahn's doing. See my post above timed at 1052.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your hatred.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024