Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Congestion Charge Zone extension 09:33 - Oct 19 with 11310 viewsGloryHunter

If you live within the North / South Circular Roads, you might soon find yourself inside the Congestion Charge Zone. With NO residents' discount. So £15 a day to drive anywhere.

https://www.change.org/p/petition-the-extension-of-congestion-charge?redirect=fa
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 12:30]
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 00:58 - Oct 21 with 1447 viewsplasmahoop

If there's a shortfall in tfl revenues due to lack of passengers, then cut back on tfl services rather than coming up with stupid ideas such as these.
I don't see the point in having a London mayor anyway, it was just invented by Tony Blair to give Ken livingstone something to do.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 07:48 - Oct 21 with 1346 viewsDixie_CT

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl-annual-report-and-statement-of-accounts-2018-19.pd

Bedtime reading 📖 lots of juicy salaries to pay!

Borrowing money and issuing bonds against future Congestion Charge income is a high risk strategy which TfL have be doing for years. Always a moderate risk it would be impacted and that risk has now become a reality.

The planned extension is a mix of increasing income and for a greener future.

We probably should be driving less petrol cars in the capital if it is killing people. Transport and trade is going to change massively after the pandemic goes. Life for all of us will change to a new normal and those that adapt the quickest will recover best.

I have only recently owned a car again and the convenience, cost and comfort are brilliant benefits that have changed my life quite a bit and this from a former pure public transport user who swore by it.
My former £2k season ticket is probably more than my car and now minimal transport usage costs. No brainier for me as I’m happier in the car for an hour than on the tube. Selfish attitude but we are selfish creatures.

If the £15 charge came in for outer London then I would use the car less and stay more local. I don’t need to drive, I want to drive.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2020 7:50]
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 08:49 - Oct 21 with 1301 viewsstevec

Signed the petition as feel the proposal is fundamentally wrong.

However I am dumbfounded that this idiot Mayor and largely Labour run Councils have played into the hands of this proposal with their ham fisted clogging up of London roads supposedly in the name of green issues whilst actually compounding the problem.

There’s also TFL to pay for. Via Covid, Employers and Employees have seen the light, why should they be crammed into public transport like cattle, ironically the sort of conditions the greens would deem totally unacceptable if the occupants were, in fact, actual cattle? Public transport needs to realign itself to the new numbers but it won’t, it’ll carry on haemorrhaging money and Khan, bang to form, will blame everything that avoids him having to confront the issue.

Hate to say it, but if Khan wants garden roads and the public want free flowing main roads, the most realistic answer is a £15 charge inside the North and South Circ.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 09:07 - Oct 21 with 1287 viewsGloryHunter

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 08:49 - Oct 21 by stevec

However I am dumbfounded that this idiot Mayor and largely Labour run Councils have played into the hands of this proposal with their ham fisted clogging up of London roads supposedly in the name of green issues whilst actually compounding the problem.

There’s also TFL to pay for. Via Covid, Employers and Employees have seen the light, why should they be crammed into public transport like cattle, ironically the sort of conditions the greens would deem totally unacceptable if the occupants were, in fact, actual cattle? Public transport needs to realign itself to the new numbers but it won’t, it’ll carry on haemorrhaging money and Khan, bang to form, will blame everything that avoids him having to confront the issue.

Hate to say it, but if Khan wants garden roads and the public want free flowing main roads, the most realistic answer is a £15 charge inside the North and South Circ.

It's nothing to do with Khan or Labour. Read the thread.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2020 9:08]
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 09:13 - Oct 21 with 1277 viewsGloryHunter

Now the Government (NOT the Mayor) plans to whack all Londoners with extra Council Tax as well:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54624961
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 09:31 - Oct 21 with 1261 viewsDixie_CT

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 09:13 - Oct 21 by GloryHunter

Now the Government (NOT the Mayor) plans to whack all Londoners with extra Council Tax as well:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54624961

"....According to Khan's office..."

This is all highly politcial and it reads like the Government is trying to heap pressure on Khan before the Mayroal election next May. They need to as Shaun Bailey isn't much opposition especially with a bit of a chequred past in White City -

https://www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/charity-commission-alerted-to-conservative-c

Unions now mentioning pensions which is always emotive. Some would say that if you are asking for £5.7b (Not sure if it is a grant or loan) then everything needs to be looked at.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 10:16 - Oct 21 with 1233 viewsTheChef

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 17:40 - Oct 20 by gobbles

I can't help thinking this is just a scare story. The idea of forcing everyone to pay £15 every time they get in their car is surely nonsense. Every person who goes to do a weekly shop, school run, drop kids off for sports training or matches it would put just about every mechanic within the North Circular out of business, most petrol stations. Every second hand car would become just about worthless.
How many cameras would you also have to set up? It would be thousands. After all, this would not be for just people from outside coming into the area, but for everybody living inside the area too.
It also sets a very worrying precedent that driving is only allowed for the rich.

Sounds like the wonderful world of smart cities they keep banging on about.

And whenever the word 'smart' gets used, you can just substitute it with the word 'surveillance'.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 10:21 - Oct 21 with 1226 viewsJuzzie

".......... and the public want free flowing main roads, the most realistic answer is a £15 charge inside the North and South Circ."

What if everyone just pays and there's zero reduction in traffic?

The CC was basically a wealth tax. If you were poor, tough, take the long way around and sit in traffic (the irony) that has built up at the edges. If you were rich, pay the tax and drive through lovely empty streets without any riff-raff.

It's the same with football. Everyone moans about Sky. Everyone moans about prices. Everyone still subscribes.
They have 12m subscribers in the UK, it would take a massive amount of people to cancel to have any kind of impact on their income and it would take a massive drop in traffic flow to have an impact too.

In fact, We actually saw in the early days of this pandemic that traffic in London dropped by something like 80%+. The very, very few times I had to go out it was very eerie and quite nice. Once things started sorting themselves out during the summer it was said that traffic was akin to 1980's levels.

If that continues as a result of people working from home, changing how they go about things (Fatima is going into IT apparently) and this becomes the new way of life then there's no need to bring in any form of charging, nature will have sorted it for us. But they will because they need ££££ and as we know, that's really the reason behind everything.

further edit: I done a quick bit of looking to see if the creation of the CC had reduced traffic, here are some bullet points;

- Emergency services, motorcycles, taxis and minicabs are exempt.

- Traffic volumes in the charging zone are now nearly a quarter lower than a decade ago, allowing central London road space to be given over to cyclists and pedestrians.

- But while car numbers are down, the number of private for hire vehicles — your minicabs and Ubers — is up. Trips by taxi and private for hire vehicle as the main mode of the journey increased by 9.8% between 2015 and 2016 alone — and 29.2% since 2000. Today, more than 18,000 different private hire vehicles enter the congestion charging zone each day, with peaks on Friday and Saturday nights.

- Taxis and minicabs are exempt from paying the congestion charge, presenting a further, financial challenge for TfL. While minicab registrations have soared from 49,854 in 2013 to 87,409 in 2017, the income from the congestion charge has flat-lined.

This has reduced the speed of traffic through the city centre, which in turn has affected the bus network. City Hall investigated and concluded that traffic congestion was the primary reason why bus usage was down in London: the slower the speed along bus routes, the greater the fall in passenger numbers.

Conclusion: Get rid of all the feckin' minicabs.

[Post edited 21 Oct 2020 11:51]
Login to get fewer ads

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 10:43 - Oct 21 with 1194 viewsQPR_Jim

"Via Covid, Employers and Employees have seen the light" - or they're waiting for the pandemic to be over, then will return to normal, we don't know yet. My company wanted us all back in the office again until the numbers were creeping up and I dare say many others will do the same too.

"Public transport needs to realign itself to the new numbers" - so presumably fewer busses and trains to get higher occupancy to get the old business model back, how will that work in the middle of a pandemic?

"ironically the sort of conditions the greens would deem totally unacceptable if the occupants were, in fact, actual cattle?" - People have a choice whereas cattle don't, I've been on full trains where people still try to force themselves on when there's another train in 2-3 mins, I doubt the cattle are doing that to get to the abattoir. Plus if I've understood you correctly, you're also simultaneously advocating for these conditions to return to public transport to reduce costs.

On the main topic I think if you want cleaner air in London it's not a bad idea to extend the congestion charge, but I'd have it free for people living within the zone an have it tiered like the underground. So inside the M25 being zone 3, inside the north and south circular zone 2 and current congestion charge zone 1. You could then set different restriction times and costs depending on the zone to make it a bit more flexible. Fund public transport to have the capacity and coverage to encourage people to leave their cars and get busses or trains more. Come up with a scheme for companies to get discounted rates on work vehicles.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:44 - Oct 21 with 1161 viewsQPR_John

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 10:43 - Oct 21 by QPR_Jim

"Via Covid, Employers and Employees have seen the light" - or they're waiting for the pandemic to be over, then will return to normal, we don't know yet. My company wanted us all back in the office again until the numbers were creeping up and I dare say many others will do the same too.

"Public transport needs to realign itself to the new numbers" - so presumably fewer busses and trains to get higher occupancy to get the old business model back, how will that work in the middle of a pandemic?

"ironically the sort of conditions the greens would deem totally unacceptable if the occupants were, in fact, actual cattle?" - People have a choice whereas cattle don't, I've been on full trains where people still try to force themselves on when there's another train in 2-3 mins, I doubt the cattle are doing that to get to the abattoir. Plus if I've understood you correctly, you're also simultaneously advocating for these conditions to return to public transport to reduce costs.

On the main topic I think if you want cleaner air in London it's not a bad idea to extend the congestion charge, but I'd have it free for people living within the zone an have it tiered like the underground. So inside the M25 being zone 3, inside the north and south circular zone 2 and current congestion charge zone 1. You could then set different restriction times and costs depending on the zone to make it a bit more flexible. Fund public transport to have the capacity and coverage to encourage people to leave their cars and get busses or trains more. Come up with a scheme for companies to get discounted rates on work vehicles.

"Fund public transport to have the capacity and coverage to encourage people to leave their cars and get busses or trains more."

Sounds great but some of us will lose out. For me to get to LR it would require a bus to Reading, train to Paddington and then a train to Shepherds Bush not to mention the return journey. So for me there is time and money however much public transport is funded. Of course you may say the cost is a price worth paying and you may be right but the time out of my day is not.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 12:14 - Oct 21 with 1130 viewsQPR_Jim

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 11:44 - Oct 21 by QPR_John

"Fund public transport to have the capacity and coverage to encourage people to leave their cars and get busses or trains more."

Sounds great but some of us will lose out. For me to get to LR it would require a bus to Reading, train to Paddington and then a train to Shepherds Bush not to mention the return journey. So for me there is time and money however much public transport is funded. Of course you may say the cost is a price worth paying and you may be right but the time out of my day is not.

What's stopping you driving to Reading Station, that would save you time.

Admittedly what you really need is stations further out with good links to London and plenty of parking, but I'd argue Reading already fits that bill with a 30min train time to Paddington and an 10 min journey from there to Wood Lane. You must be flying down the M4 for that to be wasting your time.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 12:38 - Oct 21 with 1096 viewsstevec

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 10:43 - Oct 21 by QPR_Jim

I actually agree with yourself, and Juzzie.

In this instance was just playing devils advocate, what I'm saying is whilst I don't want an extended CC zone, the local Councils are playing straight into the Tories hands with their attempts at road calming/blocking whilst subsequently blocking up all the main roads instead. It's one thing having a green strategy but if the strategy actually causes more problems then it's hardly surprising the Government take full advantage of it.

Also, the Tories have an 80 seat majority and didn't need to rely on the London vote to get it. As much as anything I suspect this is a form of punishment beating for London's stance on everything from Brexit to climate change and the rest of the country won't be fussed either way.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 12:44 - Oct 21 with 1094 viewsGloryHunter

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 12:38 - Oct 21 by stevec

In this instance was just playing devils advocate, what I'm saying is whilst I don't want an extended CC zone, the local Councils are playing straight into the Tories hands with their attempts at road calming/blocking whilst subsequently blocking up all the main roads instead. It's one thing having a green strategy but if the strategy actually causes more problems then it's hardly surprising the Government take full advantage of it.

Also, the Tories have an 80 seat majority and didn't need to rely on the London vote to get it. As much as anything I suspect this is a form of punishment beating for London's stance on everything from Brexit to climate change and the rest of the country won't be fussed either way.

" the local Councils are playing straight into the Tories hands with their attempts at road calming/blocking"

The LTN road closures are NOT the idea of the local Councils. They have been imposed by the Downing Street policy unit, at the behest of the PM's Transport Advisor. READ THE THREAD.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 12:47 - Oct 21 with 1088 viewsNov77

It’s very unfair, and hits the poorest hardest. They are more likely to live on the main roads that are now experiencing far more gridlock and subsequent pollution because of LTN’s. If life ever returns to normal expect the situation to get even worse when volumes of traffic return to pre-Covid levels.

Many elderly and disabled rely on door to door transport yet no thought is given to them. The irony of course is the cycling zealots who have taken over town halls portray themselves as oh so morally superior to everyone else yet they’re attitude is ‘to hell with the poor, elderly and disabled’.

They are trying to close off Covent Garden completely to traffic now, theatre district will only be accessible to the able bodied.

Other consequences include these areas becoming crime hotspots, with police unable to pursue anyone unless on foot. Emergency services responding to serious incidents will face serious delays as we are already seeing. Much of soho now allows restaurants to put tables on the road which has been closed off to traffic, what happens if there is a fire at the far end of the road, how long will it take to clear all the tables away so fire crews can get through?

These people who deliberately caused all this inconvenience, now expect you to pay for it. There’s only one solution, vote them out.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 14:05 - Oct 21 with 1038 viewsNov77

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 18:37 - Oct 19 by Hayesender

I work in west ealing, and these ltns are just madness. An ambulance got stuck by the Forrester pub a few weeks ago, with the paramedics having to leave the ambulance and walk to the call with all their gear.

Luckily it wasn't life threatening, but it's only a matter of time.

Still, I'm sure that smug cnt Julian Bell will call it a resounding success

[Post edited 21 Oct 2020 14:06]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 14:10 - Oct 21 with 1028 viewsQPR_John

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 12:14 - Oct 21 by QPR_Jim

What's stopping you driving to Reading Station, that would save you time.

Admittedly what you really need is stations further out with good links to London and plenty of parking, but I'd argue Reading already fits that bill with a 30min train time to Paddington and an 10 min journey from there to Wood Lane. You must be flying down the M4 for that to be wasting your time.

Have you factored in the waiting time. You forgot the bus to Reading that's 20 minutes. So that's an hour travelling and at least half an hour wait. I can drive to LR without speeding in that time and I usually do. Should also have added there is three of us in the car so the cost does become a factor.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2020 14:23]
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 14:23 - Oct 21 with 1017 viewsR_from_afar

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 20:46 - Oct 20 by CliveWilsonSaid

I agree with what you say but I guess the fact that it's only seemingly London that they're targeting means that there will still be a second-hand car market elsewhere.

I'd definitely put my self forward as a sceptic as although I agree with a technology led green economy in principle - in practice it generally seems to increase the cost of living, spread confusion, encourage exploitation, degrade freedom and stifle creativity. I have little faith in our government system or wider society to get this right.

"...although I agree with a technology led green economy in principle - in practice it generally seems to increase the cost of living, spread confusion, encourage exploitation, degrade freedom and stifle creativity".

More so than fossil fuels, with their history of conflict and corruption? Honestly?

Onshore wind is now the cheapest source of new energy in the UK, bar none. The cost of energy from nuclear power and fossil fuels will only go up, whereas the cost of energy from renewables is falling, plus renewables are better for our health and can make us self-sufficient in energy, removing the risk to business continuity of importing fuel sources.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 14:33 - Oct 21 with 1002 views2Thomas2Bowles

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 14:05 - Oct 21 by Nov77

[Post edited 21 Oct 2020 14:06]

And they wonder why they keep losing GE's

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 15:07 - Oct 21 with 967 viewsQPR_Jim

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 12:38 - Oct 21 by stevec

Fair enough.

I'd hope the government weren't making decisions based on who voted for them but then if Jenrick can basically give his constituency 25m while they quibble over a difference of 5m for Manchester, then I guess it's possible.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 15:14 - Oct 21 with 961 viewsQPR_Jim

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 14:10 - Oct 21 by QPR_John

Have you factored in the waiting time. You forgot the bus to Reading that's 20 minutes. So that's an hour travelling and at least half an hour wait. I can drive to LR without speeding in that time and I usually do. Should also have added there is three of us in the car so the cost does become a factor.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2020 14:23]

Sorry I thought it was just the time that was a factor, really it's up to you how you get to LR but if I were you I'd probably get a train from Reading and drive to the station. I live in Kent and drive through the proposed extended zone to get to LR currently, so in future it will be an additional cost. So I'd probably switch to the train and have a few beers and be in less of a hurry to head off afterwards.

Ultimately we have a choice to drive into the zone or not, once a fortnight roughly. It's the people who live there and have to pay to use their car every day that I have sympathy for.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 15:14 - Oct 21 with 960 viewsswisscottage

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 00:19 - Oct 21 by LythamR

Thanks Justin

Last time we tried it we couldnt get in at West and did manage to park near Ruislip gardens but was a bit of a pallaver, plus i could do without setting off an hour earlier and getting home later than now.

Also cant risk messing up a proven lucky routine :)

I'm not entirely sure we have the same definition of lucky :).
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 16:26 - Oct 21 with 909 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 14:23 - Oct 21 by R_from_afar

"...although I agree with a technology led green economy in principle - in practice it generally seems to increase the cost of living, spread confusion, encourage exploitation, degrade freedom and stifle creativity".

More so than fossil fuels, with their history of conflict and corruption? Honestly?

Onshore wind is now the cheapest source of new energy in the UK, bar none. The cost of energy from nuclear power and fossil fuels will only go up, whereas the cost of energy from renewables is falling, plus renewables are better for our health and can make us self-sufficient in energy, removing the risk to business continuity of importing fuel sources.

Like i said I’m all for it but my complaint is that there is very little control over the companies/corporations implementing these new systems. Whether it’s any better than what went on before is a good question, probably not. Much of the construction and electrical industry is basically unregulated as far as I can tell and just fills homes with shoddy, ill thought out and often dangerous fixtures and fittings. All passed off in the name of energy saving and safety.

It leads to things like the award winning Paragon Development in Brentford, not even 15 years old but evacuated this week because it’s too dangerous to be lived in.

Award Winning
https://www.caledonianmodular.com/portfolio/paragon-brentford/

Evacuated
https://news.sky.com/story/hundreds-of-university-of-west-london-students-to-urg

People like this are in charge of our future.

I’ll happily read about success stories if anyone wishes to post and sorry to be all doom and gloom but I’ve no faith in these people at all.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 17:15 - Oct 21 with 869 viewsCliff

Thought I'd chip in with a couple of thoughts

There were a couple of people who said they park at stations which will just outside of the new zone where they can find free street parking. Don't rely on this, as soon as the C-zone is extended there'll be controlled parking for some distance around it. I was talking to someone at work when the original charge was brought in and he said he'd just park a street or so over as he lived near the edge. However, parking permits where introduced at the same time to stop this.

With regards to the C-zone extension as a Green policy, I don't believe a word of it, it obviously about cash. The plans to bring a ban of fossil fuel cars forward to 2030 is far more sensible in my opinion. Also I think that if you want to raise money for car use a fairer way is to put extra duty on fuel, that way if you only make a short journey you pay a small amount, if you make a longer journey you pay more, plus the less efficient your car is the more you pay. It'll really piss me off if I have to pay £15 to drop my car off for an MOT on the way to work and £15 more to pick it up the next day. Paying the full whack for journeys like this is madness.
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 18:17 - Oct 21 with 841 viewsPinnerPaul

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 17:15 - Oct 21 by Cliff

Thought I'd chip in with a couple of thoughts

There were a couple of people who said they park at stations which will just outside of the new zone where they can find free street parking. Don't rely on this, as soon as the C-zone is extended there'll be controlled parking for some distance around it. I was talking to someone at work when the original charge was brought in and he said he'd just park a street or so over as he lived near the edge. However, parking permits where introduced at the same time to stop this.

With regards to the C-zone extension as a Green policy, I don't believe a word of it, it obviously about cash. The plans to bring a ban of fossil fuel cars forward to 2030 is far more sensible in my opinion. Also I think that if you want to raise money for car use a fairer way is to put extra duty on fuel, that way if you only make a short journey you pay a small amount, if you make a longer journey you pay more, plus the less efficient your car is the more you pay. It'll really piss me off if I have to pay £15 to drop my car off for an MOT on the way to work and £15 more to pick it up the next day. Paying the full whack for journeys like this is madness.

Yeah I can see that but if the new zone starts at Hanger Lane, you can't call Ruislip 'just outside'!

As an old git in a few weeks time, I'd be mad to pay the £15 so will use my free 'bus pass' to come in on the central line, parking outside my Mum's, just like I did when I was 16 - without the parking bit then obviously!
Congestion Charge Zone extension on 18:34 - Oct 21 with 821 viewsfrancisbowles

Congestion Charge Zone extension on 18:17 - Oct 21 by PinnerPaul

Yeah I can see that but if the new zone starts at Hanger Lane, you can't call Ruislip 'just outside'!

As an old git in a few weeks time, I'd be mad to pay the £15 so will use my free 'bus pass' to come in on the central line, parking outside my Mum's, just like I did when I was 16 - without the parking bit then obviously!

Who's going to break the, potential, bad news to Pinner.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024