Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes 10:13 - Nov 5 with 27025 viewsBuckR

How are we rating our new No.9 so far then? Lack of goals so far but have to say I love his work up top. So does that out weigh the dry spell?
Dykes on 10:24 - Nov 5 with 6601 viewsfrancisbowles

He put in the hard work last night against a defence that was largely sitting in. I would have him as a 6/7 at the moment. He is still trying to work out how much physicality is allowed in the Championship. It seems he got away with more in Scotland and even on international duty, so far. Needs to get on the end of low balls across the box and be more clinical.

Bonn got the benefit of the game opening up and Derby pushing on to try and get the elusive home win. Two good headed goals so far and gets in good positions. I think he is a younger, inexperienced 'poor man's Hugill', in that overall he will need several chances to score. The big question is can we develop him into a better striker. I think we can. 5/6 so far
Dykes on 10:27 - Nov 5 with 6593 viewsdaveB

We need to start putting in more crosses for him, shame Manning went as think he'd have linked up well with him. His hold up play is very good but overall you can see the difference between him and Hugil who knew the league and was comfortable and confident whereas Dykes looks to be settling in and not quite clicking yet. One of those who could go either way still but certainly has something about him
Dykes on 10:29 - Nov 5 with 6585 viewsdanehoop

Overplayed by Scotland and the knocks took their toll. He is now working his way back to fitness/form, as he also learns to step up to the much more physically demanding week in week out Championship football schedule.

Think he will be fine as he continues to work with the coaches and starts translating that potential in weaker leagues into some consistent form for us. Will take time though, and we perhaps expect too much too soon from what is largely a brand new team this year. Patience is a rare thing amongst some of our fan base though.

Think that Warball's is looking to slowly work him back up to full fitness and share the load between him and Bonne. That looks to be the right way to help them both develop.

Never knowingly understood

Dykes on 10:45 - Nov 5 with 6514 viewsSimplyNico

Emile Heskey made a career out of being a non-scoring No.9. It is the damage that LD causes - someone has to stay with him and he is good for a knockdown
Dykes on 10:54 - Nov 5 with 6467 viewsLongsufferingR

Dykes on 10:45 - Nov 5 by SimplyNico

Emile Heskey made a career out of being a non-scoring No.9. It is the damage that LD causes - someone has to stay with him and he is good for a knockdown

Bit harsh to call him a non-scoring number 9! It's not as though he's missing loads of chances. Remember Austin took 6 or 7 games to score for us when he joined.
Dykes on 10:57 - Nov 5 with 6445 viewsToast_R

It's a step up in quality from what he's used to so I think he may need a season before we can tell how good he can be. I also think as with all new players, the roar of the crowd behind them will improve their confidence a hell of a lot.
Dykes on 11:00 - Nov 5 with 6429 viewsSimplyNico

I am not digging him out. I think he is good and will get better. The point I am making is that he contributes to the team through what he does. See Ball's goal. Heskey was similar.
Dykes on 11:09 - Nov 5 with 6397 viewsWatford_Ranger

Seems to suffer from a Matt Smith-style fondness from referees to give him fk all for the crime of being 6’ 5”. Lots to improve on but he’s a great foil for the best players in the team.
Login to get fewer ads

Dykes on 11:11 - Nov 5 with 6363 views2Thomas2Bowles

Another Washington

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Dykes on 11:11 - Nov 5 with 6373 viewsTonto

I like him, as others have said, he does the hard yards and (like Hesky) doesn't or wont get the credit he deserves because people will say he doesn't score enough goals. But his contributions to build up and other peoples goals are and will be crucial.

I hope he gets his first goal from open play soon, as that will get the monkey off his back and could free him up.

there are some times when his touch lets him down, but I am hoping Sir Les is having the odd word in his tattooed shell like.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Dykes on 11:12 - Nov 5 with 6364 viewsswisscottage

He had one quality cross to attack yesterday and bar a fantastic save from Marshal would have opened the scoring.

I thought he had a big impact on the game, working tirelessly and bringing others into the game.

He's probably more of an Emile Heskey type of forward than a goal scorer. But he's shown he can score goals, and I think its only a matter of time before he starts knocking them in.
Dykes on 11:16 - Nov 5 with 6329 viewsdavman

Dykes on 10:27 - Nov 5 by daveB

We need to start putting in more crosses for him, shame Manning went as think he'd have linked up well with him. His hold up play is very good but overall you can see the difference between him and Hugil who knew the league and was comfortable and confident whereas Dykes looks to be settling in and not quite clicking yet. One of those who could go either way still but certainly has something about him

Not sure about that - Adomah has been a breath of fresh air putting in a number of quality crosses over the last few games, but the ability of our forward players, including Dykes, to attack those crosses is very much under scrutiny at the moment.

Agree that there is something about him with his back to goal. Not convinced about his ability when facing goal at the moment. Similar to Bonne. His two goals have been very similar - he has done well getting in between the defenders to create those headed chances. Outside of those goals though, neither of them have shown an ability to throw themselves at the ball in the 6 yard box....

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Dykes on 11:17 - Nov 5 with 6324 viewsMyke

Dykes on 11:09 - Nov 5 by Watford_Ranger

Seems to suffer from a Matt Smith-style fondness from referees to give him fk all for the crime of being 6’ 5”. Lots to improve on but he’s a great foil for the best players in the team.

I think he just needs a goal or 2 (from open play) to kick start him Shame he didn't put that early chance away last night. No doubting his work rate. Just needs to be a bit cuter That should come with time. If he, Bonne and Chair can bag 30 goals between them and we concede 20 less than last season we'll be grand.
Dykes on 11:21 - Nov 5 with 6284 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

1 goal in 3 (by minutes) is what we expected no?

I am certain that will increase anyway.
Dykes on 11:28 - Nov 5 with 6251 viewsboobishabang

At one point in the first half he gave the ball away in the Derby half, rather than shrug his shoulders he set off at full sprint in pursuit of Jozwaik right back into the QPR 18 yard box to put in a last ditch tackle, he's definitely putting the effort in out there for the badge
Dykes on 11:39 - Nov 5 with 6197 viewshantssi

Dykes on 10:27 - Nov 5 by daveB

As a matter of interest, anybody know how many Hugill has got up at the carrot crunchers bearing in mind they’ll be going all out for promotion?
I’ve just looked and they’ve only scored 2 more goals than us!
Dykes on 11:42 - Nov 5 with 6182 viewsrobith

I think his effectiveness has been hampered by the how the other attack minded players have done.

When we've been bad is when he's isolated up front on his own. No point winning a header if there's no one within 20m.

Contrast first half vs Cardiff where we had more possession in oppo half and I thought he was a very effective fulcrum for the attack
Dykes on 12:12 - Nov 5 with 6058 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Dykes on 11:11 - Nov 5 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Another Washington

Washington was shite in about every way possible for a striker.

Dykes will make the grade and be an asset when he gets used to his teammates and they him.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 12:16]
Dykes on 12:19 - Nov 5 with 6019 viewsMalintabuk

Not totally convinced to be honest. I'm far from writing him off but for me he doesn't look like a natural goal scorer.
We were spoilt last year to be honest with that forward line and it will take some replacing
But he doesn't hold up play very well .... and his close control is not the best. Are we asking him to play a role that don't really suit him?
But for me it is his lack of anticipation that natural instinct of a striker being in the right place at the right time
He never looks to be busting a gut to get on the end of a cross or turn and go for a through ball
Hope I'm wrong as we have little back up to put in
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 12:20]
Dykes on 12:20 - Nov 5 with 6001 viewsLowerloftLad

well currently this is how the goal stats stand

hugill 1 in 10

bonne 2 in 7
dykes 2 in 8
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 12:22]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Dykes on 12:23 - Nov 5 with 5972 viewsBostonR

Dykes on 11:11 - Nov 5 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Another Washington

Totally unfair comparison. Washington was hopeless over a couple of seasons.

You could see last night that he was not 100% fit and his touch let him down. Fair play to the Derby keeper who was brilliant last night, but any other night and Dykes scores with that header.

We a decent player on our hands. He needs time and the crowd behind him.
Dykes on 12:53 - Nov 5 with 5857 viewsParkRoyalR

Yes, fantastic figurehead to our attack, which Warburton's formations need, two stand-out moments of late:

1) Last Night - Unfortunate to lose possession last night when controlled well under pressure and passback to Carroll was slightly off - Derby countered, good save by Dieng - but watch Dykes run 50 yards (pass Carroll) to cover our defender in case beaten by Derby attacker

2) Ball's Winner versus Cardiff - Celebrated laike he scored a worldy himself

Gives his all to the team, would undoubtedly have received more service if Manning had stayed, but is a very decent player, a top lad and needs 10/10 backing from the fans.
Dykes on 12:54 - Nov 5 with 5850 viewsMick_S

Dykes on 12:53 - Nov 5 by ParkRoyalR

Yes, fantastic figurehead to our attack, which Warburton's formations need, two stand-out moments of late:

1) Last Night - Unfortunate to lose possession last night when controlled well under pressure and passback to Carroll was slightly off - Derby countered, good save by Dieng - but watch Dykes run 50 yards (pass Carroll) to cover our defender in case beaten by Derby attacker

2) Ball's Winner versus Cardiff - Celebrated laike he scored a worldy himself

Gives his all to the team, would undoubtedly have received more service if Manning had stayed, but is a very decent player, a top lad and needs 10/10 backing from the fans.

100%.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Dykes on 12:54 - Nov 5 with 5847 viewsdanehoop

And we say that about Washington, but he is now doing really well for Charlton. Could be that step up was too much for him and he is genuinely just a League 1 Striker, or we didn't play to his strengths, coach him the right way or that his confidence was shot. Probably the truth is somewhere between all of them.

I think the difference is now that there is a clear plan with Dykes, coaching staff are much more focused on bringing the best out of players within Warball's preferred style of play. I feel much more confident that he is going to be a real asset for us as he settles down and gets back to full fitness than I did with Washington. Equally I think having a credible Plan B in Bonne takes the pressure off somewhat.

Never knowingly understood

Dykes on 13:02 - Nov 5 with 5812 viewsW7Ranger

Dykes on 12:20 - Nov 5 by LowerloftLad

well currently this is how the goal stats stand

hugill 1 in 10

bonne 2 in 7
dykes 2 in 8
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 12:22]

To be fair to Hugill, most of those appearances have been off the bench.

Both Bonne and Dykes have had a lot more game time (mins on the pitch) than Hugill. So hardly a fair comparison.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024