Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chair & Barbet 16:55 - Dec 10 with 4903 viewsWestbourneR

Chair wasn't just good vs Millwall he was exceptional. He really does look to be one of our few top quality talents now. I'm really pleased to see him kick on and take a game by the scruff of the neck, play in dangerous areas. That's what he needed to do after slightly flattering to deceive at times last season.

Barbet. For me he is huge issue, particularly in the air. He just misses headers far far too often. Clearly, Warburton is dazzled by his technical skill, but as a defender he's powder puff. Missed header (again) cost us the game. He HAS to be replaced. I find it extraordinary he's remained the mainstay of defence that has conceded so many goals.

We desperately need another centre back - nothing pretty, just a proper no nonsense big mean b*stard. A grizzled leader.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Chair & Barbet on 17:54 - Dec 10 with 3626 viewsdavman

Amazing we're staying competitive with the loss of talent we've endured.

Chair and BOS remain our two assets although BOS not signing has scuppered the summers business plan

Willock, Dieng and Dickie potential to grow into our next saleable asset.

Jury massively out on Dykes and Bonne. Like Dykes' workrate, but he doesn't boss the opposition enough and has not got that goalscorers instinct - one goal from open play not enough. Bonne just looks out of his depth - sorry.

Thomas not seen enough of him, but slightly worried on what I've seen.

Left backs pretty poor. Right backs OK at times, but generally poor.

Midfield, with the exception of Carroll have been poor.

Barbet is what he is - tippy tappy; essential for Warbsball, but not for me ta.

Adomah started well, but progress stalled - not effective coming off the bench.

Shame that the target now is just to stay up and that next season looks even scarier than this one...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Chair & Barbet on 18:31 - Dec 10 with 3561 viewsozexile

Chair & Barbet on 17:54 - Dec 10 by davman

Chair and BOS remain our two assets although BOS not signing has scuppered the summers business plan

Jury massively out on Dykes and Bonne. Like Dykes' workrate, but he doesn't boss the opposition enough and has not got that goalscorers instinct - one goal from open play not enough. Bonne just looks out of his depth - sorry.

Shame that the target now is just to stay up and that next season looks even scarier than this one...

Don't apologize for the Bonne comment I feel the same.
Chair & Barbet on 19:52 - Dec 10 with 3405 viewsNottsQPR

Have a read about Dykes and his upbringing. He only really started playing football properly very late in life and the progress he has made has been exceptional.

If he can carry this on under the coaching set up he could be quite special. This may not be this season and might not even be next properly. Can you be that patient?

Quite how anyone can judge Bonne or indeed Thomas on the pitch time
They’ve had I have no idea. Bonne has scored two late goals to get us points that’s not a bad habit to have. He needs some starts in a system to suit him first.

Thomas was clearly brought on to help Nico on Tuesday who was being picked apart down the left. Again he will need some starts to be judged.
Chair & Barbet on 19:52 - Dec 10 with 3402 viewsMyke

If Warburton wanted a big ugly no-nonsense defender he would have retained Leistner, who I believe was so good v Milwall last season that the club released a video extolling his virtues
He is convinced that Barbet's 'ball-playing skills are vital. I firmly believe the entire left side of our defence needs surgery
Chair & Barbet on 20:20 - Dec 10 with 3338 viewsqprd

Chair & Barbet on 18:31 - Dec 10 by ozexile

Don't apologize for the Bonne comment I feel the same.

bonne to me is the more promising prospect as a goal scorer... he seems to regularly find himself in scoring positions... hes just so wasteful in front of goal... but there are a lot of strikers who have improved their finishing...

dykes on the other hand is literally incapable of ever being in the right place... how many shots/shots on target has he taken through 15 matches so far (excluding pens)? i think that instinct is much harder to develop

im hoping im wrong obviously...
Chair & Barbet on 01:43 - Dec 11 with 3078 viewsBoston

Chair & Barbet on 20:20 - Dec 10 by qprd

bonne to me is the more promising prospect as a goal scorer... he seems to regularly find himself in scoring positions... hes just so wasteful in front of goal... but there are a lot of strikers who have improved their finishing...

dykes on the other hand is literally incapable of ever being in the right place... how many shots/shots on target has he taken through 15 matches so far (excluding pens)? i think that instinct is much harder to develop

im hoping im wrong obviously...

If we lashed long balls into the penalty area we might develop a Dykehead.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Chair & Barbet on 02:25 - Dec 11 with 3038 viewstimcocking

Chair & Barbet on 19:52 - Dec 10 by NottsQPR

Have a read about Dykes and his upbringing. He only really started playing football properly very late in life and the progress he has made has been exceptional.

If he can carry this on under the coaching set up he could be quite special. This may not be this season and might not even be next properly. Can you be that patient?

Quite how anyone can judge Bonne or indeed Thomas on the pitch time
They’ve had I have no idea. Bonne has scored two late goals to get us points that’s not a bad habit to have. He needs some starts in a system to suit him first.

Thomas was clearly brought on to help Nico on Tuesday who was being picked apart down the left. Again he will need some starts to be judged.

If true, that's a disaster. I don't think there has ever been a single player who's turned out great that didn't learn their ball skills when they were tiny. No way that can be caught up later in life.
Chair & Barbet on 08:02 - Dec 11 with 2880 viewsnix

Chair & Barbet on 19:52 - Dec 10 by Myke

If Warburton wanted a big ugly no-nonsense defender he would have retained Leistner, who I believe was so good v Milwall last season that the club released a video extolling his virtues
He is convinced that Barbet's 'ball-playing skills are vital. I firmly believe the entire left side of our defence needs surgery

I think there's a bit more about Leistner than just that he didn't rate him as a defender. He was one of our most highly paid players, so didn't fit into our wage structure. If we'd kept him we may not have been able to afford some of the players we'd bought in. Given that, he was both inconsistent and limited. Some matches he indeed seemed heroic but other games he didn't seem interested. His extreme lack of pace meant we played very deep, which isn't the game Warburton wanted to play. And finally, as I understand it he wanted to go back to Germany, so wasn't probably the best person to have in the dressing room.

I think a bigger problem is that every player we identify as wanting to come in, suddenly becomes a target for Cardiff, Middlesbrough, Forest and the like. They can offer massively more wages than we can, so we miss out on our targets. They've said they're not going to spend money on people who aren't better than we've got here, so we may just not have been able to recruit someone good enough.

I think part of the reason we're struggling isn't just central defence but CDM. Amos was supposed to be our pacy tackler and losing him was a big loss. I didn't think he was up to speed last season but he was showing signs of being exactly the player we needed to plug the Luongo gap and end up better than him.
Login to get fewer ads

Chair & Barbet on 08:32 - Dec 11 with 2794 viewsstainrods_elbow

Chair & Barbet on 17:54 - Dec 10 by davman

Agree with most of this, though depressing as ever to see fans mostly identifying with Chair and BOS - and Willock, Dickie and Dieng - as 'saleable assets'. So much for trying to build a football team, and attract and keep younger fans!

The squad is worrying in many ways, even if certain players may develop further. The trouble is, as soon as they do/have, they're out the door as soon as the club can find a buyer.

I do think we'll do well just to stay up this year, and, if we do, wouldn't have confidence in this management team to coach us to better things or the executive structure to make enough money from aforesaid 'assets' and/or recruit wisely enough to develop things from there.

For a club that was the top team in London a quarter of a century ago, the bar is so low now it's virtually underground.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2020 8:35]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Chair & Barbet on 09:00 - Dec 11 with 2777 viewsWestbourneR

Some of this is sadly true.

It’s very very hard to keep selling your best player and stay competitive, or get better. The players you buy as replacements have to almost 100% work out.

Hate to say it but Brentford have done again with Toney for Waktins.

At the moment none of our summer recruits have hit the ground running, which is a major worry - as they all really need to be properly good to keep us up and moving forward.

For me one major issue is the jury is still completely out on Warburton’s ability in the transfer market - Barbet, Kane, Dykes, Bonne, Willock, Adomah, Pugh, Willock, Thomas, Ball. Not one has really 100% been a hit yet. That’s a worry.

I personally feel the day the club let Penrice go was a really bad day. He got the magic eye for player - Freeman & BOS have been great

That said are operating on a Barnsley wage budget now and you know what happens to them most years

Chair & Barbet on 09:06 - Dec 11 with 2763 viewsozexile

Add Wallace and the Scottish keeper onto the purchased and never got going list.
Chair & Barbet on 09:37 - Dec 11 with 2700 viewsAntti_Heinola

I'm sorry this has thread has p!ssed me right off. Nearly a full page and not one of you - NOT ONE - has attempted any kind of Barbet's Chair / haircut pun.

I hope I see none of you tomorrow, unless you want a pun-based ruck.

Bare bones.

Chair & Barbet on 11:57 - Dec 11 with 2630 viewspeterlund_dk

Chair & Barbet on 09:37 - Dec 11 by Antti_Heinola

I'm sorry this has thread has p!ssed me right off. Nearly a full page and not one of you - NOT ONE - has attempted any kind of Barbet's Chair / haircut pun.

No Chair puns? I guess we missed a sitter there.
Chair & Barbet on 12:23 - Dec 11 with 2591 viewsdavman

Chair & Barbet on 09:37 - Dec 11 by Antti_Heinola

Duh, it's because there is no such thing as a Barbet's Chair - I think you are thinking of a Barber's Chair.

Tsk.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Chair & Barbet on 12:48 - Dec 11 with 2550 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Chair & Barbet on 09:00 - Dec 11 by WestbourneR

It’s very very hard to keep selling your best player and stay competitive, or get better. The players you buy as replacements have to almost 100% work out.

At the moment none of our summer recruits have hit the ground running, which is a major worry - as they all really need to be properly good to keep us up and moving forward.

For me one major issue is the jury is still completely out on Warburton’s ability in the transfer market - Barbet, Kane, Dykes, Bonne, Willock, Adomah, Pugh, Willock, Thomas, Ball. Not one has really 100% been a hit yet. That’s a worry.

I personally feel the day the club let Penrice go was a really bad day. He got the magic eye for player - Freeman & BOS have been great

That said are operating on a Barnsley wage budget now and you know what happens to them most years

I thought Penrice left us, Westy.

I personally think the recruitment had got better since he left. Last year we finished 13th for £50k, higher than we ever managed with Penrice on board and with a much lower wage budget.

This year has been slightly underwhelming overall but we'll see how it ends.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Chair & Barbet on 13:02 - Dec 11 with 2522 viewsNorthernr

Barbet's big problem for me is he looks for shortcuts rather than just defending. He's always appealing, waving his hands around, looking for an offside or a free kick for a push. The farcical Coventry winning goal a prime example, too busy flapping his hands around at the referee, letting a man pile in over the top of him for a header. By all means have a word with the referee afterwards, let him know, but defend the situation first.
Chair & Barbet on 13:06 - Dec 11 with 2509 viewsWestbourneR

Chair & Barbet on 13:02 - Dec 11 by Northernr

Barbet's big problem for me is he looks for shortcuts rather than just defending. He's always appealing, waving his hands around, looking for an offside or a free kick for a push. The farcical Coventry winning goal a prime example, too busy flapping his hands around at the referee, letting a man pile in over the top of him for a header. By all means have a word with the referee afterwards, let him know, but defend the situation first.

Yeah sorry Brian - Peno left. Either way I figure it was a blow to the club.

I doubt BOS was on big wages when he joined.

Northern - I agree Barbet does do a lot of that but he also misses headers. Aerially we're just not good enough, at all, right across the back four.

Essentially he's been the one mainstay of a terrible defence.

We desperately need to find Clint Hill or Ryan Nelson - doesn't matter if they're old and bit slow, they lead, organise and win headers.

Chair & Barbet on 13:15 - Dec 11 with 2485 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Chair & Barbet on 13:02 - Dec 11 by Northernr

Couldn't agree more, Clive.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Chair & Barbet on 13:18 - Dec 11 with 2467 viewsrsonist

Couple of things.

Hard bstard. He keeps coming up. An understandable shout but also magic silver bullet unicorn thinking to a large extent. Maybe if Leistner was cheaper and happy to stay we'd have kept him on, but he was never, ever as consistently effective and transformative a leader as he has grown to become in rose tinted hindsight. (And before lockdown happened we were proven to be a better functioning side when Barbet returned from the injury that let Leistner back in). For the few days between Brentford and Huddersfield this board was all about the need for Cameron back "enforcing". Against big bad Wall we'd have been a far better off with more Carrolls and Chairs to move the ball instead - doing Plan A better. I won't argue a different defender may well improve us, but it's usually not that simple - it's not one man, it's not even four men (hurr durr defensive coach) , it's a collective issue. van Dijk took Liverpool's defence up a level but did he do the same at Southampton? It's entirely possible that even if we could find that magic defender he'd get shredded too in this set up.

Recruitment. Stylistically, Boro picked up Hall and competed for Goode. King Warnock wasn't back in for his former £8m signing Aden Flint, who we reportedly may have enquired about loaning, and is the one traditional CB we might be said to have been priced out for by Sheff Wed. (Mawson and Hector are not who people are thinking about when they talk about what we need). I think it's fairly clear we've not gone out of our way to replace Leistner like for like, let alone be priced out of the bidding in doing so.

Penrice. It's always been opaque who does what or has been responsible for what (spoiler - it's always collaborative) and has been open to rhetorical manipulation as a result - when it needs to be Les or the head coach it's all on them suddenly. FWIW, QPR's head of recruitment is Andy Belk, he's been here 12 years, he worked in Penrice's team and took over after he left - this was his first window in full charge.
Chair & Barbet on 13:25 - Dec 11 with 2430 viewsbakerloo8

Chair & Barbet on 13:06 - Dec 11 by WestbourneR

Yeah sorry Brian - Peno left. Either way I figure it was a blow to the club.

I doubt BOS was on big wages when he joined.

Northern - I agree Barbet does do a lot of that but he also misses headers. Aerially we're just not good enough, at all, right across the back four.

Essentially he's been the one mainstay of a terrible defence.

We desperately need to find Clint Hill or Ryan Nelson - doesn't matter if they're old and bit slow, they lead, organise and win headers.

If we could find a hill or nelson who could play on the floor as well as head it like a lej then surely he wouldn't play for us. We got Dickie, theres not many around like him for us to pick up.
Chair & Barbet on 13:26 - Dec 11 with 2438 viewsNov77

Chair & Barbet on 09:00 - Dec 11 by WestbourneR

Not just warburton’s ability in the transfer market, I question his judgment too on the players we have.
how do you have Kelly, Lumley and Dieng in your squad and not realise for over a year who the better keeper is?

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Chair & Barbet on 13:27 - Dec 11 with 2420 viewsbakerloo8

Chair & Barbet on 13:26 - Dec 11 by Nov77

Not just warburton’s ability in the transfer market, I question his judgment too on the players we have.
how do you have Kelly, Lumley and Dieng in your squad and not realise for over a year who the better keeper is?

Tbf I think Dieng was always the long term option, just needed games he got out on loan to make him oven ready for the Championship.
Bot sure why Lumley got the nod start of the season though.....
Chair & Barbet on 13:31 - Dec 11 with 2417 viewsjoe90

I really didn't rate Barbet after his first few games. I think he gave away a few penalties and looked a total liability. What I've come to realise is that at this level you aren't going to have a player that's the complete package and we're going to have to make do with players like Dickie who are very one dimensional but effective. That said, I don't rate Dickie either.
Chair & Barbet on 13:33 - Dec 11 with 2411 viewsNorthernr

Chair & Barbet on 13:27 - Dec 11 by bakerloo8

Tbf I think Dieng was always the long term option, just needed games he got out on loan to make him oven ready for the Championship.
Bot sure why Lumley got the nod start of the season though.....

Agree on both points. Probably cost us the Coventry game.
Chair & Barbet on 13:40 - Dec 11 with 2394 viewsRBlock

On Chair, he's no on 5 in 17. Eze was on 6 in 17 at this point last season, including 2 pens. Had Chair been on pens, he could conceivably be on 8 in 17. Obviously different players and Chair would benefit from being used centrally more often, but shows he is stepping up this season. He's also made the 4th most key passes in the league, after Buendia, Wallace, and Roberts, so creating chances also.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024