Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boro game 20:36 - Jan 24 with 2938 viewsStanisgod

Guy had his eye nearly kicked out by a proper high boot, Boro guy only stooped forward a little.
Guess what, no action at all.
Charlie v Cardiff, loose ball, under waste high, guy stoops down, goal disallowed.
And they wonder why they get the stick they get.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Boro game on 21:32 - Jan 24 with 2814 viewsJuzzie

Which is why VAR was brought in but that’s a pigs ear too.

Either we stick with inconsistent officials or we go full on VAR which has to be consistent and flawless but as it’s a human not a machine we are just back to where we were before.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/267930/var-in-cup
Boro game on 22:35 - Jan 24 with 2711 viewsstowmarketrange

I thought the goal was disallowed for a handball rather than a foul?But of course the high boot gave him an easy get out call.
Boro game on 23:35 - Jan 24 with 2649 viewsManinBlack

Warnock has every right to be furious as it was a penalty and a sending off. Shockingly bad refereeing which did not need VAR or any technology to call. Even the Blackburn manager was critical of the standard of officiating this season.

Personally I think the absence of crowds has contributed to the poor decisions with nobody screaming from the stands for obvious infringements. No fans to harangue the match officials makes it easier for them to turn a blind eye.
Boro game on 08:50 - Jan 25 with 2497 viewsThe_Beast1976

Boro game on 23:35 - Jan 24 by ManinBlack

Warnock has every right to be furious as it was a penalty and a sending off. Shockingly bad refereeing which did not need VAR or any technology to call. Even the Blackburn manager was critical of the standard of officiating this season.

Personally I think the absence of crowds has contributed to the poor decisions with nobody screaming from the stands for obvious infringements. No fans to harangue the match officials makes it easier for them to turn a blind eye.

Conversely, no fans to harangue the match officials makes it easier for them not to be pressured into a wrong decision. It works both ways. I think we just have to accept that referees are human and make mistakes. You also have to factor in the matter of human interpretation and judgement. Just do away with VAR and accept that not every decision will go the way you want it to. The old adage that these things even themselves out over a season is close to the truth,
Boro game on 08:56 - Jan 25 with 2479 viewscolinallcars

I imagine reffing a game is harder these days with so many teams intent on cheating at any opportunity. I realise the Corinthian days are gone but refs nowadays have a harder job.
I'll admit I've shouted at refs as much as most though !
Boro game on 09:56 - Jan 25 with 2397 viewsfrancisbowles

Boro game on 08:56 - Jan 25 by colinallcars

I imagine reffing a game is harder these days with so many teams intent on cheating at any opportunity. I realise the Corinthian days are gone but refs nowadays have a harder job.
I'll admit I've shouted at refs as much as most though !

It must be an extremely difficult exercise in a game which is so much faster in it's modern form.

Not only the cheating that you mention but the complex nature of the offside and handball rules, the 'professionalism' of the players taking advantage of the interpretation of the rules re contact/foul, the laxity in the adaptation of the rules with kicking the ball away, goalkeepers holding onto the ball, players delaying free kicks, dissent and players addressing the referee, as well as, the inconsistency re throw ins and free kicks taken from the wrong place.

The laws need to be simplified, the players need to be disciplined more on and off the pitch, (throw ins to the other team if taken from the wrong place, free kicks for time wasting, ball moved forward for standing on free kicks) as well as cards for breaking the rules and introduction of a sin bin for cynical fouls and some second yellow cards offences).

We need to move back towards fair play, discipline and respect.
Boro game on 10:00 - Jan 25 with 2385 viewsgazza1

Whilst I wish the Boro player no harm......Charlie Austin's goal should not have been disallowed.
Boro game on 10:01 - Jan 25 with 2383 viewsNorthernr

Boro game on 22:35 - Jan 24 by stowmarketrange

I thought the goal was disallowed for a handball rather than a foul?But of course the high boot gave him an easy get out call.

Austin said on the podcast it did hit his arm, but the referee said it had been disallowed for a high boot.

Referee was ropey all the way through that Boro game yesterday.
Login to get fewer ads

Boro game on 10:05 - Jan 25 with 2374 viewsgazza1

Boro game on 10:01 - Jan 25 by Northernr

Austin said on the podcast it did hit his arm, but the referee said it had been disallowed for a high boot.

Referee was ropey all the way through that Boro game yesterday.

Oh didn't see that it hit his arm......but as you say that is not why the ref disallowed the goal. Ref was poor on the night.
Boro game on 10:45 - Jan 25 with 2295 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Boro game on 08:50 - Jan 25 by The_Beast1976

Conversely, no fans to harangue the match officials makes it easier for them not to be pressured into a wrong decision. It works both ways. I think we just have to accept that referees are human and make mistakes. You also have to factor in the matter of human interpretation and judgement. Just do away with VAR and accept that not every decision will go the way you want it to. The old adage that these things even themselves out over a season is close to the truth,

Sorry Beast, but in my experience these things certainly don't even themselves out. At all. In every field sport I know the big teams get the calls and the small teams get the bird.

The only advantage of VAR is that it might, just might, stop some of that. Even then, it might be too high a price to pay for ruining the game as a spectacle.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Boro game on 15:22 - Jan 25 with 2186 viewsPinnerPaul

Boro game on 09:56 - Jan 25 by francisbowles

It must be an extremely difficult exercise in a game which is so much faster in it's modern form.

Not only the cheating that you mention but the complex nature of the offside and handball rules, the 'professionalism' of the players taking advantage of the interpretation of the rules re contact/foul, the laxity in the adaptation of the rules with kicking the ball away, goalkeepers holding onto the ball, players delaying free kicks, dissent and players addressing the referee, as well as, the inconsistency re throw ins and free kicks taken from the wrong place.

The laws need to be simplified, the players need to be disciplined more on and off the pitch, (throw ins to the other team if taken from the wrong place, free kicks for time wasting, ball moved forward for standing on free kicks) as well as cards for breaking the rules and introduction of a sin bin for cynical fouls and some second yellow cards offences).

We need to move back towards fair play, discipline and respect.

Very good post - would take some pain to get there - and games refereed 'by the book' might not be as enjoyable as you think - but worth a go!

Re the OP - Rangel got away with something similar at LR a few years ago.

Remember oppo player jumping up and showing the ref his very bloody face!

One of those " Oh no" moments as a referee!
Boro game on 10:38 - Jan 26 with 2018 viewsfrancisbowles

Boro game on 15:22 - Jan 25 by PinnerPaul

Very good post - would take some pain to get there - and games refereed 'by the book' might not be as enjoyable as you think - but worth a go!

Re the OP - Rangel got away with something similar at LR a few years ago.

Remember oppo player jumping up and showing the ref his very bloody face!

One of those " Oh no" moments as a referee!

I agree it would be a difficult watch for a while but if they could stick to it, once everyone realised it was staying, behaviour would improve and the game would be better for it.

Football has tried many of these points, individually not collectively, for a short period but they have either just faded out or been abandoned. If they could only stick to initiatives they could 'clean up the game'.
Boro game on 15:17 - Jan 27 with 1867 viewsPinnerPaul

Boro game on 10:38 - Jan 26 by francisbowles

I agree it would be a difficult watch for a while but if they could stick to it, once everyone realised it was staying, behaviour would improve and the game would be better for it.

Football has tried many of these points, individually not collectively, for a short period but they have either just faded out or been abandoned. If they could only stick to initiatives they could 'clean up the game'.

Agree - there is always a new law, or part of one they seem to concentrate on every season and, as you say, the 'initiative' always disappears pretty quickly!
Boro game on 15:27 - Jan 27 with 1837 viewskensalriser

On throw-ins, is it in the laws they can be taken five yards either side of where the ball exited play, or more as long as one player shapes up for the throw only to give it to a teammate to take?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Boro game on 15:32 - Jan 27 with 1818 viewsfrancisbowles

Boro game on 15:27 - Jan 27 by kensalriser

On throw-ins, is it in the laws they can be taken five yards either side of where the ball exited play, or more as long as one player shapes up for the throw only to give it to a teammate to take?

...and they start their run up where the ref says to take it but then finish it about five yards further up the touchline.
Boro game on 16:35 - Jan 27 with 1749 viewsterryb

Boro game on 15:27 - Jan 27 by kensalriser

This was really funny yesterday.

Cresswell couldn't understand that he wasn't allowed to take a throw ten yards back from where the ball went out. It seemed that no other player knew why he couldn't either!

He was told to re-take it five yards closer to the Palace goal!

I know that Pinner has stated before that it is considered to be pedantic to enforce the taking of throw in's from the correct place, but it wasn't considered pedantic when the same referee had a free kick retaken from about one foot different!
Boro game on 17:25 - Jan 27 with 1693 viewsPinnerPaul

Sounds like example number 451 of players not knowing the laws.

On the throw ins, its pretty common sense stuff. How often do you hear the phrase "Referee had a good game, hardly noticed him"

You're certainly going to notice one that makes everyone take every throw from the exact spot the ball left the filed!

If it doesn't impact the game play on.

You have to adapt to the level you're playing at and use common sense.

At professional levels, does it matter (within reason) where free kicks in own half are taken?

However, with fks, at any level, around the penalty area you're going to be a lot more picky about placement.
Boro game on 09:59 - Jan 28 with 1567 viewsterryb

Boro game on 17:25 - Jan 27 by PinnerPaul

On the throw ins, its pretty common sense stuff. How often do you hear the phrase "Referee had a good game, hardly noticed him"

You're certainly going to notice one that makes everyone take every throw from the exact spot the ball left the filed!

At professional levels, does it matter (within reason) where free kicks in own half are taken?

However, with fks, at any level, around the penalty area you're going to be a lot more picky about placement.

The free kick in question was in his own half & he made them retake it after moving the ball about one foot! No, the ball hadn't been moving either!

I agree with most of your comments, especially about free kicks in your own half, but it is a shame that professional officials often don't abide with this!

On throw ins, I also mainly agree, but not when the throw is taken ten yards away or when the ball went out near the corner flag.
Boro game on 11:18 - Jan 28 with 1538 viewsfrancisbowles

Boro game on 17:25 - Jan 27 by PinnerPaul

Well I agree to a point. However, keepers need to be clamped down on. The modern phenomena, of some teams, to get your keeper to take all free kicks in your own half, push the defence right up and kick long. I have seen keepers move the ball ten yards back, closer to their own goal or move kicks near the corner five yards further in from the touchline so they can get back into position quicker and get a better angle on the kick. It's cheating.

It would have been ungentlemanly conduct and a booking back in the day, in the same way as deliberately marking a line on the pitch was.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024