Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Discussion 10:29 - Feb 25 with 3768 viewsDubaiR

Was having this chat with my Dad last night. He thinks Dykes will never be good enough at this level.

I made the point that he was playing Queen of the South a couple of seasons ago and had no real football background.

Vardy's first season at Leicester he got 4 goals (one less than Dykes) had a good second season then only got 5 in 34 in his 3rd. From season 4 onwards he kicked on.

I am not saying Dykes will be the next Vardy very different players. He could yet be another conor washington but I think we need patience before we know.

Even Les only got 2 and 8 in his first two proper seasons with us.
Discussion on 10:56 - Feb 25 with 2731 viewsTonto

he has become boo boy #1, and boy do we love a boo boy.

I thought last night was quite a good game for him. he was desperately unlucky with the first shot which the keeper seemed to save with his studs. the lob wasn't great, but his movement was better, his link up play was better. He just needs to score one to get the boo boy monkey off his back.

In other words, i still see potential - yes that has to turn into actual at some point, but too many want to write him off now.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Discussion on 11:14 - Feb 25 with 2653 viewsdavman

Discussion on 10:56 - Feb 25 by Tonto

he has become boo boy #1, and boy do we love a boo boy.

I thought last night was quite a good game for him. he was desperately unlucky with the first shot which the keeper seemed to save with his studs. the lob wasn't great, but his movement was better, his link up play was better. He just needs to score one to get the boo boy monkey off his back.

In other words, i still see potential - yes that has to turn into actual at some point, but too many want to write him off now.

I think that he has been shocking to date (some of you may have noticed that). There may be mitigating circumstances, but I can't see how anyone can disagree. No goal since November, one goal from open play all season pretty good evidence for this view.

There certainly have been glimpses. That first chance last night for example, fantastic run, fantastic first touch, good hit, good save. And there were a number of good first touch passes. Overall, I think it was one of his better games.

However, the second chance was a horrible, horrible miss. He snatched at it because he has no confidence at the moment.

Is there something there? Maybe. Is there enough? That is the question...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Discussion on 11:26 - Feb 25 with 2598 viewsdodge_stoke_r

I think the difference between the two is that before Leicester, Vardy was pretty prolific with something like 50 goals in 70ish games. Which would suggest that he had a good eye for goal and would probably come good once up to speed with the step up. Dykes on the other hand wasn't. With something like 35ish in 170 games. Its not that he doesnt score that bothers me so much. Its that all he seems to have in his locker is that he'll run and run. His positional sense is woeful and the game just seems to be being played around him. Which leaves him looking like he's reacting to situations rather than anticipating them. Ill gladly be prooven wrong but i just don't see him cutting the mustard at this level
Discussion on 11:30 - Feb 25 with 2572 viewsnix

I agree with you OP. We gave Connor Washington much more of a chance. Maybe that's why people are harsh with Dykes because they gave Washington so many chances and he never made good.

I think he's had some bad luck, like some good saves, the Brentford game when he probably would have scored if he hadn't been hacked down, being pulled up for very soft fouls when he'd turned the defender in the box and was in a good position to score. As has been said, and as the Preston fans forum confirmed, the first chance was a good save and the second one wasn't a particularly easy chance with the goalie rushing at you and I don't think we'd be slagging off Chair or Austin for missing that.

If he gets a couple of goals, lucky or otherwise from open play, then we can have a better idea about him, as he'll be under less pressure. But then it wasn't long ago that nearly everyone wanted to get rid of Warburton, and it won't take more than a few losses for that to start up again.
Discussion on 11:30 - Feb 25 with 2569 viewsgazza1

He is currently a major overhead for the Team and Club in general.....another two reasonable opportunities last night but failed to deliver. Did OK (ish) with the first but the 2nd chance was a woeful effort.

I hope he improves but I have grave doubts if he ever will.....
Discussion on 11:36 - Feb 25 with 2550 viewssimmo

Our fans selective persecution does baffle me. We give Washington a 2 year pass but this guy gets it after half a season??

Dykes was playing for a surf team not that long ago... No high level academy background and coming into the game late means he will be behind in his development. Championship is a MASSIVE step up from where he's come from, not including the changes that come from relocating to the other end of the country during a pandemic and getting used to a new way of playing, etc.

Similar to Ball though, he doesn't hide, or stop running. He is properly physical in the challenge especially in the air where I thought he did a good job last night and he presses well and at the right times. Also his back to goal touch and all around game is decent and improving. He missed the big chance against Preston but the movement and touch to receive the Austin pass were excellent.

Lot's of work to do but signs that he's worth sticking with. A full season and 6 months with Charlie will do him the world of good, then we can see more of what we have.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Discussion on 11:48 - Feb 25 with 2484 viewscyprusmel

Peter Crouch took a long time to score at Liverpool but the fans liked him because he worked hard and the manager stuck with him and it turned out well.

He does graft and never hides, I hope it works for him.

I think everybody's fear is that we have a Connor Washington who worked his nuts off but just couldn't deliver the goals.
Discussion on 11:49 - Feb 25 with 2482 viewsNoelmc

I think he's still raw but hopefully our coaching team will help him develop. There are certainly some signs of potential there and his work rate is very impressive. Also every time I've seen him play for Scotland he seems to play at a higher level, so hopefully if we persevere with him, he will come good for us too.

It will be very interesting if we get a penalty whether him or Charlie will take it. I'd be inclined to stick with Dykes as he has dispatched them very well so far and a goal will boast his confidence. My worry is that Charlie will pull rank and insist on taking it. What do others think?
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 12:38]
Login to get fewer ads

Discussion on 11:52 - Feb 25 with 2462 viewsnix

I agree Simmo, it baffles me too. It's not like he hides or fails to put in a shift. As you say, he does some excellent link play and also keeps the defenders busy, which creates space for other people in the box. And it's not like he's keeping Aguero off the pitch. Wouldn't want to write Bonne off either but he's missed some absolute sitters. We're doing pretty well with a largely new team. We're ahead of much more expensively put together teams like Birmingham, Derby, Nottingham Forest and Blackburn. We're on a great run. Can't we just be behind them for a bit.
Discussion on 11:57 - Feb 25 with 2435 viewscyprusmel

Discussion on 11:49 - Feb 25 by Noelmc

I think he's still raw but hopefully our coaching team will help him develop. There are certainly some signs of potential there and his work rate is very impressive. Also every time I've seen him play for Scotland he seems to play at a higher level, so hopefully if we persevere with him, he will come good for us too.

It will be very interesting if we get a penalty whether him or Charlie will take it. I'd be inclined to stick with Dykes as he has dispatched them very well so far and a goal will boast his confidence. My worry is that Charlie will pull rank and insist on taking it. What do others think?
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 12:38]

Dykes must continue with the spot kick until he misses one, it would be unfair in my opinion to take the job from him while he is doing it well.
Discussion on 12:00 - Feb 25 with 2408 viewsDannyPaddox

Never mind Conor Washington’s immunity from ridicule what about Idrissa Sylla. The crowd got on his back from day one because apparently he didn’t run around enough, despite the fact he regularly put the ball in the net. You want to see people run around watch the track events in the athletics. Like all of us I want to see Dykes succeed. My instinct however says he’s not a goalscorer. I sincerely hope I’m wrong and the Vardy, Sir Les, Thierry Henry slow-starter theory applies here too.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 12:09]
Discussion on 12:04 - Feb 25 with 2390 viewsBazzeR

Look at the way Dykes got in between the 2 C/Bs in our first attack, Dykes kept pointing to Kane where he wanted it but Kane delayed and eventually passed it to the keeper.

Dykes continued to make intelligent runs but was never found after the 2 early missed chances.
The inconsistent delivery from wide positions would undoubtably infuriate and demoralise any striker to keep gambling on being in the most optimal positions
Discussion on 12:06 - Feb 25 with 2381 viewsBrazilNutR

I didn't think he looked out of his depth last night, he got into 2 good goal scoring positions, and also there were some decent bits of link up play I noticed.
Nobody has complained about Austin missing an equally presentable chance (the volley he put wide).. even the very top strikers miss chances, and they are often confidence players, having the crowd on his back (or mind) every time he gets in a good position is not ever going to help him, needs one to go in off his knee or something and that just may help him along the way. But I wouldn't write him off yet.. he is learning and seems more than willing and like a good character.
Dominic Solanke scored his first goal for Bournemouth on his 39th appearance! And they paid about R$20million for him... Benteke (Belgium international) scored 2 in 25 appearances last season (1 in 19 the season before).. and is still getting games..
Discussion on 12:07 - Feb 25 with 2376 viewsdenhamhoop2

He might come good he might not at the moment he is keeping Bonne out of the team who I would say is a more natural second striker as is Charlie. He is the best target man at the club puts a shift in the alternative is to bring Oteh back and I doubt he would be any better. Charlie missed a sitter last night as did Ched Evans for Preston yet no one questions if either of these players can play at this level.
I think he is the new Danny Dichio will help partners score goals with his work rate and closing down but probably average 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 games
Discussion on 12:10 - Feb 25 with 2355 viewsDando

Im not saying Dykes wont come good at some point, but what winds me up is that he has started most games this season and scored only one from open play, misses a number of sitters but still starts the next game every single time. Im not saying Bonne is the answer, as he has been suspect as well but cant remember a time when a player has had so many chances, so low on confidence yet continues to keep his place.

Yes, he adds physicality etc, I get that - but not sure how Bonne, Kelman etc must feel if they cant get into a side where the striker still continues to miss sitters. Just think for his own good, he should have a break from the side and give one of the other strikers a chance to have a run - just like Dykes has had. Dont change a winning side, I get this too - but still, was happening before this run
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 12:17]
Discussion on 12:16 - Feb 25 with 2316 viewsstevec

Definitely had one of his better games first half but I’d be surprised if he makes it here.

He looks desperately unbalanced when trying to combine running with control of the ball. Can that be taught, I’m not sure.

Didn’t do anything wrong with first chance, that was best move he’s made, but in the build up with Kane, I think, he did something weird but did somehow retrieve the ball. Second chance balance looked way off which resulted in a poor lob, similar thing a few games back at home when he never got settled and blazed a bouncing ball way off target when through.

I hope he sticks at it but he doesn’t look a natural.
Discussion on 12:46 - Feb 25 with 2197 viewsplasmahoop

Whether he comes good or not, he is what we have. So might as well be supportive
Discussion on 12:53 - Feb 25 with 2142 viewstimcocking

You're Dad is right. We're flogging a dead horse.
Discussion on 13:04 - Feb 25 with 2080 viewsbakerloo8

Goalscorers are judged on the amount of goals they score. Dykes despite his impressive work rate has a dismal goals to games ratio and if this isn't improved in the short to medium term then he will be binned. Harsh but true.
Discussion on 13:07 - Feb 25 with 2074 viewsHarbour

Discussion on 11:52 - Feb 25 by nix

I agree Simmo, it baffles me too. It's not like he hides or fails to put in a shift. As you say, he does some excellent link play and also keeps the defenders busy, which creates space for other people in the box. And it's not like he's keeping Aguero off the pitch. Wouldn't want to write Bonne off either but he's missed some absolute sitters. We're doing pretty well with a largely new team. We're ahead of much more expensively put together teams like Birmingham, Derby, Nottingham Forest and Blackburn. We're on a great run. Can't we just be behind them for a bit.

This all day long
Discussion on 13:29 - Feb 25 with 1974 viewsjohncharles

Warburton picks the team, he picks Dykes, the team team is winning.

Errrr, that’s it

Strong and stable my arse.

Discussion on 13:41 - Feb 25 with 1893 views2Thomas2Bowles

Discussion on 12:53 - Feb 25 by timcocking

You're Dad is right. We're flogging a dead horse.

Is the correct answer.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Discussion on 13:43 - Feb 25 with 1893 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Very good discussion.

To go back to the OP, I would say that there's no way of knowing what he can achieve in time, so we shouldn't put a ceiling on it. That's the joy and excitement of player development.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Discussion on 13:45 - Feb 25 with 1878 viewsQPROslo

Thought he had a better game yesterday. What worries me most with him is that he doesn't look like he has good enough ball control skills for this level of football. When he does get into good goal scoring positions, his lack of control of the ball often let him down. Hopefully this will come with good coaching, and as others have said if he gets a goal or two off his shin or whatever, this may give him greater confidence at key goal scoring opportunities, that help him to overcome his technical limitations. He is a physical threat for defences, and runs and runs.
Discussion on 13:46 - Feb 25 with 1867 viewsridethewave

Discussion on 12:07 - Feb 25 by denhamhoop2

He might come good he might not at the moment he is keeping Bonne out of the team who I would say is a more natural second striker as is Charlie. He is the best target man at the club puts a shift in the alternative is to bring Oteh back and I doubt he would be any better. Charlie missed a sitter last night as did Ched Evans for Preston yet no one questions if either of these players can play at this level.
I think he is the new Danny Dichio will help partners score goals with his work rate and closing down but probably average 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 games

Did Charlie miss a sittter? If you're referring to the one he sliced wide of the post I wouldn't call that a sitter, he had no time to get his shot off and two defenders running straight at him, I thought he did well enough just to get a shot away at all!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024