Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should clubs help control player's social media 11:57 - Mar 4 with 3097 viewsbosh67

Yes I know they are all grown ups allegedly but this article is just one of a number about how players being criticised on social media and trolled cripples their confidence.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-qpr-news-lyndon-dykes-criticism-soc

It's fairly obvious that the Lydon we brought to the club is not the Lyndon who's playing at the moment. He isn't attacking the ball as we know he can and his confidence looks shot. But... it is all about wellbeing and confidence and players in their teens and twenties can be slaughtered by social media to the complete detriment of themselves and their clubs, with keyboard warriors simply destroying an asset.

Should clubs in general be monitoring or actually running social media channels for the players so that they aren't exposed to this kind of thing. It is obviously affected Lyndon but it is very much a thing that they can be protected from. I know people will say well they are grown up and just don't look at it but these are human beings at the end of the day who are paid as athletes to do a job and they should be protected from keyboard warriors and in many instances themselves on social media.

Old man drops mic and wanders off...

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Should clubs help control player's social media on 12:13 - Mar 4 with 2640 viewsLowerloftLad

the trolls wont just go away and the likes of Twitter are clearly not going to clamp down on it any time soon.
so the best advice would be for players to just stay off Twitter ect. I know it must be more difficult than it sounds but it must be better than sitting there reading comments from people who most of whom probably couldn't direct you to the stadium from white city station

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Should clubs help control player's social media on 12:23 - Mar 4 with 2608 viewsted_hendrix

They are grown Men, Its a bit like turning the TV on every night and not liking what you see, eventually you use a small amount of common sense and stop switching the TV on.
Bit simplistic I know (apart from the common sense comment).

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Should clubs help control player's social media on 12:29 - Mar 4 with 2600 viewsJuzzie

What Lowerloftlad says. No 'control' or help etc needed, just stay away from the vile place entirely.

I could go on audiophile forums but I don't as I did once and most of the people don't know what the fk they are talking about (when it came to vinyl LP manufacturing) so best to just keep away altogether. Much better for the soul.
Should clubs help control player's social media on 15:32 - Mar 4 with 2475 viewstimcocking

It's grim. Made me feel bloody guilty reading the article. I restrict my remarks to this forum and hope they don't read it, because otherwise we wouldn't have anywhere to release QPR frustrations (neither my missus or the cats give two hoots frankly). Sorry Lyndon if you are reading. I'm sure it would have crushed me if i was giving everything and reading how hated and useless i was. Horrible facet of the modern game. I genuinely think there will be trolls as well; Brentford fans for example trying to scupper a Rangers' player. Confidence is so important after all.

This is why Warburton should already have taken him out of the lineup, though. He's absolutely shot at present and he's doing the bloke no favours. I appreciate the fact he's really backed the guy, but he can't continue. Don't blame the fans for it. 1 goal from open play.
Should clubs help control player's social media on 15:56 - Mar 4 with 2450 viewskensalriser

Should clubs help control player's social media on 12:29 - Mar 4 by Juzzie

What Lowerloftlad says. No 'control' or help etc needed, just stay away from the vile place entirely.

I could go on audiophile forums but I don't as I did once and most of the people don't know what the fk they are talking about (when it came to vinyl LP manufacturing) so best to just keep away altogether. Much better for the soul.

Ha, that's a good one on audiophile forums. People really do talk bollox. My latest favourite is people who think 'hi-res' streaming is better than CD quality. When you tell them virtually all music delivered for digital distribution is at CD quality fingers go straight in ears.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Should clubs help control player's social media on 16:04 - Mar 4 with 2437 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great question, Bosh.

I think "yes", without a doubt. Players are also human beings, and human beings need to stay away from unhelpful and possibly harmful situations. Listening to or partaking in a social media conversation where some people will be judging you solely on your day job and where some people will be there just to abuse you is unhelpful and possibly harmful.

It may well affect your work performance but, more importantly, it may well affect your mental health.

So, yes, I would consider it a duty of the club to help players avoid this as best they can.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Should clubs help control player's social media on 16:50 - Mar 4 with 2380 viewsted_hendrix

Good gawd almighty;

If I was the Manager at QPR this would be how I'd handle it;

"Sit down and shut the f uck up and then switch your phones off, from this moment on instead of sitting on your arses and texting bolox on your phones on whatever is the latest fashion craze in the world of snipchat, snapshot, faceache or whatever these bloody things are called spend that time instead out on the training pitch learning how to take proper corners, how to take free kicks, how to pass and move, how to defend and attack in numbers, how to pass to a team mate instead of passing to their centre forward, You have my full permission to text your Mummy just once and say your gonna be late home for your tea as you've decided that in the best interest of the club your staying behind to do some extra training, this way you won't be offended by any faceless splinter ridden pieces of wood whom you've never met or ever will calling you nasty names, does that make sense lads? yes of course it does, now piss off and don't be late for training tomorrow"

Done and dusted.

Should clubs help control player's social media on 17:02 - Mar 4 with 2354 viewstraininvain

Should clubs help control player's social media on 16:50 - Mar 4 by ted_hendrix

Good gawd almighty;

If I was the Manager at QPR this would be how I'd handle it;

"Sit down and shut the f uck up and then switch your phones off, from this moment on instead of sitting on your arses and texting bolox on your phones on whatever is the latest fashion craze in the world of snipchat, snapshot, faceache or whatever these bloody things are called spend that time instead out on the training pitch learning how to take proper corners, how to take free kicks, how to pass and move, how to defend and attack in numbers, how to pass to a team mate instead of passing to their centre forward, You have my full permission to text your Mummy just once and say your gonna be late home for your tea as you've decided that in the best interest of the club your staying behind to do some extra training, this way you won't be offended by any faceless splinter ridden pieces of wood whom you've never met or ever will calling you nasty names, does that make sense lads? yes of course it does, now piss off and don't be late for training tomorrow"

Done and dusted.

You wouldn’t last long. The days of sergeant major managers in professional football are long gone. The players would simply down tools and wait for the next manager to arrive.
Login to get fewer ads

Should clubs help control player's social media on 17:10 - Mar 4 with 2316 viewsRussian__Bot

Even if he did all that and avoided social media, have a private account and then his public one run by a PR person connected to his agent, a click bait title like this from West London Sport would bring it to his attention.

And regardless of that. Anyone on here who thinks his lack of goals is down to social media really is misguided. Off the top of my head he has missed at least three complete open goals this season. Against Stoke and Watford at home and again last night.

It doesn’t matter if he goes on social media. He knows when he missed last nights sitter that there were thousands of people around West London shouting at him through their lap top.

I don’t have Twitter and so I cant say what its been like for him on there. But my sense the fans have been very patient with him.

But we’re in March and he has scored one goal from open play. He is a talking point. We aren’t allowed in pubs to discuss. And so in this digital world he is a fair discussion point
1 goal in open play in 25+ games as a striker. Don’t blame the fans for that

if he was playing Sunday league football amongst the nicest bunch of friends who didnt dig him out, and he had goal in 25 games upfront. As he walked back to the changing rooms after a loss in another game where he missed crucial chances. Even if they didnt say anything he just would feel low on confidence because he knows he's let himself down and he knows he's again let his team mates down. Who even if they dont say it are surely getting fed up with him. And he knows that without social media telling him so
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 17:14]
Should clubs help control player's social media on 18:07 - Mar 4 with 2247 viewsBoston

It’s faster, more vitriolic but just like the entertainers of yore, don’t read the critics, it’s chip paper in the morning.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Should clubs help control player's social media on 18:10 - Mar 4 with 2241 viewsbakerloo8

If you are famous and on these platforms then I'm afraid you are going to get it. Until Facevook, twitter, Instagram etc sort without this will continue.

Similar in effect to Harry and Megan out in US. We dont wanna be part of the royal family we want to be normal people..... instantly get netflix series and boom, straight on Oprah....WHAT DO YOU THINK IS FONNA HAPPEN??
Should clubs help control player's social media on 19:02 - Mar 4 with 2162 viewsBoston

Should clubs help control player's social media on 16:04 - Mar 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Great question, Bosh.

I think "yes", without a doubt. Players are also human beings, and human beings need to stay away from unhelpful and possibly harmful situations. Listening to or partaking in a social media conversation where some people will be judging you solely on your day job and where some people will be there just to abuse you is unhelpful and possibly harmful.

It may well affect your work performance but, more importantly, it may well affect your mental health.

So, yes, I would consider it a duty of the club to help players avoid this as best they can.

and the demon drink, loose women...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Should clubs help control player's social media on 19:36 - Mar 4 with 2119 viewsderbyhoop

As far as social media is concerned, I treat it as sending a postcard to the world, i.e. anybody can read it so don't say something you wouldn't say face-to-face.
Sadly, there's plenty of users who aren't anywhere near as careful.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Should clubs help control player's social media on 19:54 - Mar 4 with 2102 viewsCiderwithRsie

Should clubs help control player's social media on 12:23 - Mar 4 by ted_hendrix

They are grown Men, Its a bit like turning the TV on every night and not liking what you see, eventually you use a small amount of common sense and stop switching the TV on.
Bit simplistic I know (apart from the common sense comment).

I don't think it's as easy as that, Ted.

It would be for me but I'm a nobody in my 50s. Firstly for the younger generation social media is how they communicate generally so if they stay off it they lose a load of social contact, it'd be like me throwing away my phone. It's not just what he wants to say, he'll want to know what his mates are up to. Secondly all pro sports people are marketing themselves - that's why they have agents - and unfortunately some sort of social media presence is probably important for future earnings.

Throw in the fact that the bloke has moved to a new city where he presumably didn't know anyone and the whole time he's here the place is locked down and I can see why he would want social media to keep in touch with mates and even family. Presumably he's got plenty of those in Australia and social media ought to be a godsend for that.

I guess the final thing is that these guys are performers, they do want to know the fans rate them, it must be hard not to take a peak at what people are saying and in fact the more self-doubt you have the more you'd want to check. It's like the old saying that any actor who says they don't read reviews is a liar.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 19:57]
Should clubs help control player's social media on 20:44 - Mar 4 with 2057 viewsdavman

I've said it before, but if Dykes is affected by social media this much, he should give up before he gets to play in front of the Loftus Road congregation. My God, if he doesn't realise how s**t he has been so far, it'll take 2 minutes and one miss for him to realise.

If he is as delicate as this suggests, they'd better put all sharp objects and shoelaces away before he gets back in the changing room.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Should clubs help control player's social media on 22:15 - Mar 4 with 1958 viewsted_hendrix

Should clubs help control player's social media on 19:54 - Mar 4 by CiderwithRsie

I don't think it's as easy as that, Ted.

It would be for me but I'm a nobody in my 50s. Firstly for the younger generation social media is how they communicate generally so if they stay off it they lose a load of social contact, it'd be like me throwing away my phone. It's not just what he wants to say, he'll want to know what his mates are up to. Secondly all pro sports people are marketing themselves - that's why they have agents - and unfortunately some sort of social media presence is probably important for future earnings.

Throw in the fact that the bloke has moved to a new city where he presumably didn't know anyone and the whole time he's here the place is locked down and I can see why he would want social media to keep in touch with mates and even family. Presumably he's got plenty of those in Australia and social media ought to be a godsend for that.

I guess the final thing is that these guys are performers, they do want to know the fans rate them, it must be hard not to take a peak at what people are saying and in fact the more self-doubt you have the more you'd want to check. It's like the old saying that any actor who says they don't read reviews is a liar.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 19:57]

Well okay I've read through your comments and taken what you've said on board, the bit about Dykes moving to a new city-living under lockdown etcetera was lost on me and something I'd not considered.
However;
I can't take on board the notion that some of our players take criticism to heart and it affects them, it's patently obvious to me that the best cure for that is don't read it, now that's a simplistic retort but it's all I've got?
As for this notion that the club have some kind of a responsibility over what the players read on social media--no bloody way that's bordering on absurd, as employers the club have a duty of care of their employees in the workplace, that doesn't amount to training them for half an hour per day on what they should or shouldn't read on their bloody phones.

As previously said these are blokes-not kids.

The internet is both brilliant and an arse, most Adults have the good sense to know what they want to click on.

Cant add anything else-stuck for words.

Should clubs help control player's social media on 22:30 - Mar 4 with 1936 viewsTacticalR

Should clubs help control player's social media on 18:10 - Mar 4 by bakerloo8

If you are famous and on these platforms then I'm afraid you are going to get it. Until Facevook, twitter, Instagram etc sort without this will continue.

Similar in effect to Harry and Megan out in US. We dont wanna be part of the royal family we want to be normal people..... instantly get netflix series and boom, straight on Oprah....WHAT DO YOU THINK IS FONNA HAPPEN??

There is evidently a niche in the market for celebrities who want to be interviewed about wanting to be normal.

Air hostess clique

Should clubs help control player's social media on 23:26 - Mar 4 with 1873 viewsqprd

Should clubs help control player's social media on 20:44 - Mar 4 by davman

I've said it before, but if Dykes is affected by social media this much, he should give up before he gets to play in front of the Loftus Road congregation. My God, if he doesn't realise how s**t he has been so far, it'll take 2 minutes and one miss for him to realise.

If he is as delicate as this suggests, they'd better put all sharp objects and shoelaces away before he gets back in the changing room.

Did you read this article? Warburton conjectured. Dykes himself did not say he reads social media or is in any way affected by it. The headline is somewhat misleading

But putting that aside, I find the machismo and false bravado of messages like this to be so off the mark

Lyndon dykes, by merely playing championship football and for Scotland, has already accomplished more in his life than you and basically 99.9% of QPR fans (irrespective of whatever field they’re in). Just to get to that point he’s had to overcome odds that are incredibly stacked against him..... I doubt he’s somehow brittle like you suggest

People much more successful than you and me experience dips in confidence. That’s pretty normal, and nothing to be ashamed of

And have you ever experienced 10 people telling you you’re doing your job poorly, let alone thousands reminding you constantly? Do you honestly think people aren’t affected by the abuse? It’s pretty normal in my opinion, and I’m more interested to see how he bounces back from this recent dip....
Should clubs help control player's social media on 07:29 - Mar 5 with 1789 viewsdavman

Should clubs help control player's social media on 23:26 - Mar 4 by qprd

Did you read this article? Warburton conjectured. Dykes himself did not say he reads social media or is in any way affected by it. The headline is somewhat misleading

But putting that aside, I find the machismo and false bravado of messages like this to be so off the mark

Lyndon dykes, by merely playing championship football and for Scotland, has already accomplished more in his life than you and basically 99.9% of QPR fans (irrespective of whatever field they’re in). Just to get to that point he’s had to overcome odds that are incredibly stacked against him..... I doubt he’s somehow brittle like you suggest

People much more successful than you and me experience dips in confidence. That’s pretty normal, and nothing to be ashamed of

And have you ever experienced 10 people telling you you’re doing your job poorly, let alone thousands reminding you constantly? Do you honestly think people aren’t affected by the abuse? It’s pretty normal in my opinion, and I’m more interested to see how he bounces back from this recent dip....

I did read the article, just playing along with the thread...

Yes, he is infinitely better than I ever was, but so what; we should judge him against others in his position.

And yes, in my job, I get held to account for MY performance and from time to time, people Have criticised me admittedly in a less passionate way than football fans do, but still...

But none of that is the point unless you are really going to tell me that Dykes has NOT been s**t so far this season.

So, he's less s**t than I'd be, but so what?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Should clubs help control player's social media on 08:20 - Mar 5 with 1757 viewsstevec

Should clubs help control player's social media on 20:44 - Mar 4 by davman

Agree. Whilst there are no fans in the ground is the perfect opportunity to get your game together before we all trundle back in.

He’s been given extensive opportunities and it’s up to him to make use of those opportunities, blaming social media is a convenient smoke screen.
Should clubs help control player's social media on 09:11 - Mar 5 with 1727 viewssuperhoopdownunder

If Dykes is going to make it at QPR he needs to score the open goals he has been missing.
He needs to practice harder and work on improving his overall game.

In many ways he is lucky the fans are not in the stadium as his performances have been poor so far.
Should clubs help control player's social media on 09:54 - Mar 5 with 1701 viewsCiderwithRsie

Should clubs help control player's social media on 22:15 - Mar 4 by ted_hendrix

Well okay I've read through your comments and taken what you've said on board, the bit about Dykes moving to a new city-living under lockdown etcetera was lost on me and something I'd not considered.
However;
I can't take on board the notion that some of our players take criticism to heart and it affects them, it's patently obvious to me that the best cure for that is don't read it, now that's a simplistic retort but it's all I've got?
As for this notion that the club have some kind of a responsibility over what the players read on social media--no bloody way that's bordering on absurd, as employers the club have a duty of care of their employees in the workplace, that doesn't amount to training them for half an hour per day on what they should or shouldn't read on their bloody phones.

As previously said these are blokes-not kids.

The internet is both brilliant and an arse, most Adults have the good sense to know what they want to click on.

Cant add anything else-stuck for words.

Fair points, Ted. I dunno, it's just not my world and I don't understand it really.
Should clubs help control player's social media on 10:47 - Mar 5 with 1658 viewsMyke

So first of all, trolling is a real thing and MUCH more dangerous than the drunken shouts or boos by a crowd at a match. Firstly, because you can 'hear' every word of abuse that is being hurled at you and your loved ones. Secondly, because the message has been thought through to maximise it's vileness, typed out and sent, which is three deliberate acts of hostility, rather than the random incoherent name-calling, Dykes might experience at a game.
Clearly the social media companies are not going to take any meaningful action. Also very difficult for management to police the social media activities of adults, there would surely be cries of infringing on their liberty rights. The only option is for Dykes or anyone else so effected is to stay off the platforms. I am sure Lumley could give him some advice in that regard.
Finally, if Davman and the likes, actually think it is beneficial to Dykes as a person or as a player to constantly remind him how 'sh1t' he is at his job, I would love to here the rationale behind that logic. 'Social Media didn't make him miss the sitters he has missed' Actually, it may have contributed quite significantly. For footballers generally and strikers especially, confidence is everything. You doubt yourself and over-think it, you want a second touch to 'make sure', you hesitate for a split second, that's the difference between a chance converted and missed. Tiny, tiny margins.
Should clubs help control player's social media on 13:41 - Mar 5 with 1577 viewsTGRRRSSS

Should clubs help control player's social media on 09:54 - Mar 5 by CiderwithRsie

Fair points, Ted. I dunno, it's just not my world and I don't understand it really.

All you've got is to turn off, assume it's twitter and Instagram mainly, as facebook is more your mates, unless he's on QPR facebook groups of course.

Or is this the usual Trolls stuff we get from Warburton these days?

It's hard to police really as your talking millions of tweets about millions of things around the world, how many people can they employ to police all that?
Should clubs help control player's social media on 13:48 - Mar 5 with 1568 viewsMatch82

Should clubs help control player's social media on 13:41 - Mar 5 by TGRRRSSS

All you've got is to turn off, assume it's twitter and Instagram mainly, as facebook is more your mates, unless he's on QPR facebook groups of course.

Or is this the usual Trolls stuff we get from Warburton these days?

It's hard to police really as your talking millions of tweets about millions of things around the world, how many people can they employ to police all that?

Don't think it's that easy though? Even if you turn off - "Lyndon mate, did you say what was written about you in that article?" Can't avoid the problem, better to have ways of dealing with it
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024