Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lyndon Dykes 21:07 - Mar 17 with 44171 viewsDWQPR

Best game for the club by a long way tonight. May not be a natural goalscorer but certainly a good foil for Austin. He gave his all tonight. Was unbeatable in the air, harried their defence all night and left nothing in the tank. Well done lad.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Lyndon Dykes on 22:41 - Jun 2 with 3264 viewsMrSheen

Lyndon Dykes on 22:34 - Jun 2 by Northolt_Rs

Yeah of course but have you seen our youngsters? Our U18 and U23 teams finished rock bottom of their respective Group B leagues: Warburton clearly didn’t trust them. Can’t expect Beale to perform miracles overnight so we may need to get some young loans in… If so, I hope MB has the connections to help us (and him) out.

Tough times ahead for our coaches. They might be pleased to have seen the back of Warburton, but Beale will undoubtedly run the rule over them.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2022 22:57]
Lyndon Dykes on 22:45 - Jun 2 with 3247 viewsMrSheen

I’m with Bazza on the Dykes debate and really can’t fathom why people seem to dislike Bonne so strongly. He’s not Pippo Inzaghi, but he gets into goal scoring positions but is very short of composure. Wouldn’t you want to feed the confidence of one of your players rather than rubbish him and try to improve him rather than move on to the next long shot? And the biscuits comment? I’m delighted that a player isn’t happy to be paid to do nothing.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2022 22:59]
Lyndon Dykes on 22:52 - Jun 2 with 3207 viewsessextaxiboy

Lyndon Dykes on 13:31 - Jun 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

He clearly is a Championship striker though isn’t he? Played at this level for two seasons now.

Conor Washington played nearly 100 games in the Championship for us .
Lyndon Dykes on 23:00 - Jun 2 with 3165 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 22:52 - Jun 2 by essextaxiboy

And cost twice as much, was on double the wages, wasn't half as effective, and, here's the best bit,,,was over-rated by the vast majority of our fans til about 80 games in!
Lyndon Dykes on 23:15 - Jun 2 with 3105 viewsessextaxiboy

Lyndon Dykes on 23:00 - Jun 2 by ParkRoyalR

And cost twice as much, was on double the wages, wasn't half as effective, and, here's the best bit,,,was over-rated by the vast majority of our fans til about 80 games in!

My point was that playing games in the Championship does not mean that you are a Championship standard player .
Lyndon Dykes on 23:26 - Jun 2 with 3061 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Lyndon Dykes on 23:15 - Jun 2 by essextaxiboy

My point was that playing games in the Championship does not mean that you are a Championship standard player .

20 goals in two seasons does though.
Lyndon Dykes on 23:31 - Jun 2 with 3050 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Lyndon Dykes on 22:52 - Jun 2 by essextaxiboy

And is about to have 46 more with Rotherham.

He’s a Championship player by definition. Saying X is League One standard is lazy and arbitrary in my opinion.
Lyndon Dykes on 23:57 - Jun 2 with 2974 viewsMyke

We have seen enough moments of quality from Dykes to suggest he is a Championship STANDARD player - which is the real crux of the debate - particularly during the second half of 2021. His goal, for example against Sheffield Wednesday was of the very highest standard. He seemed to thrive and learn off a fit and eager Austin. This season, his form was patchier, even when we were going well, but again his goal against Fulham - the best team in the division by some distance - was of the highest standard; movement, control, composed finish. You either have these qualities or you don't. Certain things can be coached into you - the movement bit especially - but composure is something that is inherent.
He regressed quickly from the heights of his double (almost a hat-trick ) v Reading, as did the whole team. That is where a coach earns his money and where, imo, Warburton fell short - his inability to halt regression. If Beale can bring Dykes back to the level of the second half of 20/21, then we will only need to loan in one striker - if he can't, then we need two (and there will be question mark number one over Beale)
Login to get fewer ads

Lyndon Dykes on 06:35 - Jun 3 with 2756 viewsessextaxiboy

Lyndon Dykes on 23:57 - Jun 2 by Myke

We have seen enough moments of quality from Dykes to suggest he is a Championship STANDARD player - which is the real crux of the debate - particularly during the second half of 2021. His goal, for example against Sheffield Wednesday was of the very highest standard. He seemed to thrive and learn off a fit and eager Austin. This season, his form was patchier, even when we were going well, but again his goal against Fulham - the best team in the division by some distance - was of the highest standard; movement, control, composed finish. You either have these qualities or you don't. Certain things can be coached into you - the movement bit especially - but composure is something that is inherent.
He regressed quickly from the heights of his double (almost a hat-trick ) v Reading, as did the whole team. That is where a coach earns his money and where, imo, Warburton fell short - his inability to halt regression. If Beale can bring Dykes back to the level of the second half of 20/21, then we will only need to loan in one striker - if he can't, then we need two (and there will be question mark number one over Beale)

Your last sentence is very unfair on Beale . He has 25 to coach and 2 months {?] until the transfer window closes .
Lyndon Dykes on 07:22 - Jun 3 with 2689 viewsPunteR

Dykes probably would be a 20 goal a season striker in L1 . I think he was very average for us last season but can obviously play at this level. Not sure I like his attitude towards us as his disappearing act the last few months wasn't a good look, especially popping up again in time for Scotland. Might be just coincidence.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Lyndon Dykes on 07:50 - Jun 3 with 2637 viewsnix

Lyndon Dykes on 23:57 - Jun 2 by Myke

This is fair. Some other factors too. He's much better when he's match fit and various niggles plus international duty meant he was in and out of the side. Then when we did get him back in the side it wasn't long before we were playing poorly.

Like many forwards he's better when the defence is stretched and they're running back towards their goal. Because teams had learnt to close us down tightly and because we'd got tentative out from the back we were moving the ball at glacial pace through the transitions. So he was left with trying to generate movement and space against a static defence. That's CA at his height but not Dykes. Gray was able to make runs which would help out the midfield and moving the ball at pace but he was like having ten men when we were trying to win the ball back so was overall a liability.

We also hardly put in any decent balls towards the end of the season. I can remember cross after cross hitting the first defender. In summary, he's not the perfect striker for us but if we play to his strengths more he's a pretty good option for a club with no money.

I understand we've all got our opinions and we've all got every right to voice them. But just saying players are sh*t every week without looking at the whole picture, including how much effort they're putting in/their overall contribution doesn't seem helpful and can be wearing to read every week. Especially as when they finally leave they're generally replaced with another scapegoat.
Lyndon Dykes on 08:58 - Jun 3 with 2533 viewsessextaxiboy

Lyndon Dykes on 07:50 - Jun 3 by nix

This is fair. Some other factors too. He's much better when he's match fit and various niggles plus international duty meant he was in and out of the side. Then when we did get him back in the side it wasn't long before we were playing poorly.

Like many forwards he's better when the defence is stretched and they're running back towards their goal. Because teams had learnt to close us down tightly and because we'd got tentative out from the back we were moving the ball at glacial pace through the transitions. So he was left with trying to generate movement and space against a static defence. That's CA at his height but not Dykes. Gray was able to make runs which would help out the midfield and moving the ball at pace but he was like having ten men when we were trying to win the ball back so was overall a liability.

We also hardly put in any decent balls towards the end of the season. I can remember cross after cross hitting the first defender. In summary, he's not the perfect striker for us but if we play to his strengths more he's a pretty good option for a club with no money.

I understand we've all got our opinions and we've all got every right to voice them. But just saying players are sh*t every week without looking at the whole picture, including how much effort they're putting in/their overall contribution doesn't seem helpful and can be wearing to read every week. Especially as when they finally leave they're generally replaced with another scapegoat.

No one has used the term sh#t. That would be disrespectful. . Sit near me at LR and you would never guess my assessment of Dykes .
Here now in the close season , new coach , transfer window open is the time and place for these discussions.
He isn't a scapegoat , I can't recall any games where the crowd collectively got on his back we could be having these debates about Kakay , Nico or Dozzell .
Happy to see if Beale can help him to succeed .
Lyndon Dykes on 09:35 - Jun 3 with 2458 viewsdavman

Lyndon Dykes on 08:58 - Jun 3 by essextaxiboy

No one has used the term sh#t. That would be disrespectful. . Sit near me at LR and you would never guess my assessment of Dykes .
Here now in the close season , new coach , transfer window open is the time and place for these discussions.
He isn't a scapegoat , I can't recall any games where the crowd collectively got on his back we could be having these debates about Kakay , Nico or Dozzell .
Happy to see if Beale can help him to succeed .

Very lucky that the crowds were away during the lockdown. He and Bonne would have got both barrels from our "patient" crowd when we win just 4 games by Xmas.

He can improve and I hope that he does, but aside from a couple of very short bursts of form, he's not been showing. I do agree with Bazza though in that his strongest point is his value for money. We will not get much better for his value; sadly.

Kelman and Armstrong it is then.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Lyndon Dykes on 09:55 - Jun 3 with 2400 viewsNed_Kennedys

Lyndon Dykes on 22:34 - Jun 2 by Northolt_Rs

Yeah of course but have you seen our youngsters? Our U18 and U23 teams finished rock bottom of their respective Group B leagues: Warburton clearly didn’t trust them. Can’t expect Beale to perform miracles overnight so we may need to get some young loans in… If so, I hope MB has the connections to help us (and him) out.

If you were an U23 player under Warburton then your motivation would surely have been affected by the lack of a pathway or opportunity in the 1st team squad: even when you came in and did well like Bettache and Duke-McKenna he soon reverted to form, not even naming a full bench rather than pick a few youngsters. I think under Beale things will change quickly and for the better: hopefully we will attract better young players now they can see a more progressive managerial set up in place.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:00 - Jun 3 with 2366 viewsstevec

Think his days are numbered here. What’s been noticeable is that Chair, BOS and Willock really don’t fancy him as their outlet.

Beale will do well to solve that issue.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:58 - Jun 3 with 2265 viewsfrancisbowles

Lyndon Dykes on 07:50 - Jun 3 by nix

Very well put case for the defense. Your absolutely right, he needs others inform as well as his confidence high to bring out the best in him.
Lyndon Dykes on 11:12 - Jun 3 with 2229 viewsdistortR

Lyndon Dykes on 09:55 - Jun 3 by Ned_Kennedys

If you were an U23 player under Warburton then your motivation would surely have been affected by the lack of a pathway or opportunity in the 1st team squad: even when you came in and did well like Bettache and Duke-McKenna he soon reverted to form, not even naming a full bench rather than pick a few youngsters. I think under Beale things will change quickly and for the better: hopefully we will attract better young players now they can see a more progressive managerial set up in place.

yeah, Gubbins going to train with the first team and then being sent back appears to have been very poor man management, albeit we don't know the exact circumstances, but the result.

Back to Dykes, his performance against 'boro was superb imho, led the line superbly, fought for everything. But other games, nothing. Sometimes Seb Polter was poor, but you know those marking him would be battered and bruised. Dykes is a big lad, raised in rugby league, with what he can do and his physicality, I want to see more. I believe he's capable of it.
Lyndon Dykes on 11:18 - Jun 3 with 2201 viewsR_from_afar

Lyndon Dykes on 21:54 - Jun 2 by Northolt_Rs

Paper thin though…a couple of injuries and we will be struggling just like this year. Goals is still a big worry for me. Hopefully the new gaffer will be able to bring in some good young loans etc to bolster the squad.

"Goals is still a big worry for me".

For me too, probably for most of us on here, but I keep hoping that Thomas will get a goal and with it, a huge confidence boost.

He's quick and an eager runner who puts in a shift. I can also remember a great assist late on in one game when he came off the bench.

Cross those fingers.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Lyndon Dykes on 13:40 - Jun 3 with 2074 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 10:00 - Jun 3 by stevec

Think his days are numbered here. What’s been noticeable is that Chair, BOS and Willock really don’t fancy him as their outlet.

Beale will do well to solve that issue.

Sorry SteveC, but really need to dispel this one as myth becomes fact with alot of our fans,

Chair - arguably Chair does'nt fancy anyone following your logic as the amount of times Gray, Austin and Dykes visibly showed their frustration at Chair's inability to pick an easy early pass or cross was very noticeable last season - Millwall away particularly comes to mind of almost every game (bar Everton in cup where he played a very very rare early cross)

BOS - another head-down player who struggled to look up and see the movement of his fellow forwards, Brentford away in Covid season being a rare example where he had so much time on the counter he actually could get his head-up for once and play a very very rare quality cross which Dykes superbly finished.

Willock - as per Reading at home, Willock plays with his head-up and his early crosses were superbly anticipated by Dykes (worth watching how quick Dykes is to react knowing Willock has got the ball and will look for an early cross).

Can you imagine playing as a Centre Forward watching BOS doing the hokey-kokey and Chair going for the old 1 touch 2 touch 3 touch head-down routine? Compare that to the dream of playing with head-up footballers like Willock and Eze?

I think Dykes season was de-railed by his injury at home to Forest, when the allegedly lazy / dis-interested (sic) Dykes played on through a bad injury for the benefit of the team and when he was forced back into the team for reasons we know now on his return, the only real creator in the team (Willock) was unfortunately out injured.

If Chair can learn to play as a proper no 10 like Willock, and actually play an early pass, I still believe Dykes can be a very effective championship striker.
Lyndon Dykes on 14:24 - Jun 3 with 1978 viewsessextaxiboy

Lyndon Dykes on 13:40 - Jun 3 by ParkRoyalR

Sorry SteveC, but really need to dispel this one as myth becomes fact with alot of our fans,

Chair - arguably Chair does'nt fancy anyone following your logic as the amount of times Gray, Austin and Dykes visibly showed their frustration at Chair's inability to pick an easy early pass or cross was very noticeable last season - Millwall away particularly comes to mind of almost every game (bar Everton in cup where he played a very very rare early cross)

BOS - another head-down player who struggled to look up and see the movement of his fellow forwards, Brentford away in Covid season being a rare example where he had so much time on the counter he actually could get his head-up for once and play a very very rare quality cross which Dykes superbly finished.

Willock - as per Reading at home, Willock plays with his head-up and his early crosses were superbly anticipated by Dykes (worth watching how quick Dykes is to react knowing Willock has got the ball and will look for an early cross).

Can you imagine playing as a Centre Forward watching BOS doing the hokey-kokey and Chair going for the old 1 touch 2 touch 3 touch head-down routine? Compare that to the dream of playing with head-up footballers like Willock and Eze?

I think Dykes season was de-railed by his injury at home to Forest, when the allegedly lazy / dis-interested (sic) Dykes played on through a bad injury for the benefit of the team and when he was forced back into the team for reasons we know now on his return, the only real creator in the team (Willock) was unfortunately out injured.

If Chair can learn to play as a proper no 10 like Willock, and actually play an early pass, I still believe Dykes can be a very effective championship striker.

Regarding your last sentence I think we all do . Its more important than being proved correct How will you measure him being a very effective Championship striker . Goals per minutes on the pitch ?
Lyndon Dykes on 14:47 - Jun 3 with 1912 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 14:24 - Jun 3 by essextaxiboy

Regarding your last sentence I think we all do . Its more important than being proved correct How will you measure him being a very effective Championship striker . Goals per minutes on the pitch ?

Not necessarily, Gray had an impressive Goals Per Minute on the pitch but IMO allowed the oppositions defenders to step up and over-load our midfield as struggled to press, one of many reasons for our end of season run of defeats due to conceding too many goals.

If our no 10's can play-off Dykes and score 10 goals each, and an attacking midfielder (Amos) can break the line and run onto his flick-ons and can contribute maybe another 10 goals, a 15 goal return from Dykes, which he was heading towards before injury this year, would be very good IMO, on basis we can find another 30 odd goals across our 10's and attacking midfielders.

Dykes's real weakness on arrival, having previously played mainly as a winger, was his movement in the box. This improved significantly last year. More important for our attack next year is Chair and how longs he holds the ball. Warburton failed to fix this inherent flaw in his game. Remains to be seen whether Beale can.
Lyndon Dykes on 22:35 - Jun 3 with 1592 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

On the 20 goals a season thing, the last player to do that was Charlie Austin in 2013/14 (20), and before that it was Andy Thomson in 2001/2002 (21).

Even Taraabt, Furlong, Gallen, Remy, Wells, and Cisse didn’t manage 20 in that 20 year period.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 22:47]
Lyndon Dykes on 22:41 - Jun 3 with 1574 viewsMatch82

More than most, Dykes seems like the kind of player where you get the most out of him playing in a system which asks him to do a few specific things very well. By the sounds of it Beale generally prefers one up top, so of anyone I'd expect him to know very well what qualities are necessary for someone to succeed in that role. What he does in terms of bringing someone in will tell us whether he believes Dykes is going to do well this year and the expectations we should have
Lyndon Dykes on 08:30 - Jun 4 with 1323 viewsNortholt_Rs

Lyndon Dykes on 22:41 - Jun 3 by Match82

More than most, Dykes seems like the kind of player where you get the most out of him playing in a system which asks him to do a few specific things very well. By the sounds of it Beale generally prefers one up top, so of anyone I'd expect him to know very well what qualities are necessary for someone to succeed in that role. What he does in terms of bringing someone in will tell us whether he believes Dykes is going to do well this year and the expectations we should have

Brining someone in is dependent on what we can pay … and we are skint.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Lyndon Dykes on 10:44 - Jun 4 with 1207 viewsnix

Lyndon Dykes on 22:35 - Jun 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

On the 20 goals a season thing, the last player to do that was Charlie Austin in 2013/14 (20), and before that it was Andy Thomson in 2001/2002 (21).

Even Taraabt, Furlong, Gallen, Remy, Wells, and Cisse didn’t manage 20 in that 20 year period.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 22:47]

I know. It's like people imagine our past strikers have been more prolific than they actually were, so they compare our current strikers to fictitious standards. Given that it's increasingly hard to find a decent, cheap striker as so many clubs have upped their scouting and the Prem clubs stack up the best young talent, I think we need to be a bit more realistic.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024