Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lyndon Dykes 21:07 - Mar 17 with 43369 viewsDWQPR

Best game for the club by a long way tonight. May not be a natural goalscorer but certainly a good foil for Austin. He gave his all tonight. Was unbeatable in the air, harried their defence all night and left nothing in the tank. Well done lad.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Lyndon Dykes on 12:14 - Jun 4 with 2174 viewsPunteR

Lyndon Dykes on 10:44 - Jun 4 by nix

I know. It's like people imagine our past strikers have been more prolific than they actually were, so they compare our current strikers to fictitious standards. Given that it's increasingly hard to find a decent, cheap striker as so many clubs have upped their scouting and the Prem clubs stack up the best young talent, I think we need to be a bit more realistic.

I think the 20 goal thing is the standard by which all strikers measure themselves. It's the target. There are strikers that can achieve that but there's some forwards that bring other attacking advantages. Hold up play, assists etc. Some are out and out finishers. That's what I think it is anyway.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Lyndon Dykes on 12:19 - Jun 4 with 2173 viewsNorthernr

Lyndon Dykes on 12:14 - Jun 4 by PunteR

I think the 20 goal thing is the standard by which all strikers measure themselves. It's the target. There are strikers that can achieve that but there's some forwards that bring other attacking advantages. Hold up play, assists etc. Some are out and out finishers. That's what I think it is anyway.

Might be wrong but I think our last actual 20 goal a season striker was Andy Thomson. We’ve been promoted 3 times since then without one. Swansea, meanwhile, finished below us this season with one. It’s a lazy trope.
Lyndon Dykes on 12:21 - Jun 4 with 2160 viewsQPunkR

Lyndon Dykes on 12:19 - Jun 4 by Northernr

Might be wrong but I think our last actual 20 goal a season striker was Andy Thomson. We’ve been promoted 3 times since then without one. Swansea, meanwhile, finished below us this season with one. It’s a lazy trope.

Dykes is a lazy trope :P

QPR - "shit but local"

Lyndon Dykes on 12:25 - Jun 4 with 2127 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Austin in 2014, just about.
Lyndon Dykes on 12:28 - Jun 4 with 2097 viewsTGRRRSSS

Yes he got 20 in all comps, 17 in the League, actually seemingly got 18 in the PL the next season, according to his Wiki stats.
Lyndon Dykes on 12:31 - Jun 4 with 2090 viewsTGRRRSSS

Dykes got 12 in 42 first season and 9 in 33 this season just finished. Again via Wiki
Lyndon Dykes on 12:31 - Jun 4 with 2091 viewsPunteR

Yeh probably.
Maybe bring the bar down a bit for a more realistic target .
I dunno.. I guess we don't say Deing is a 250 saves a season keeper.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Lyndon Dykes on 12:46 - Jun 4 with 2047 viewsTGRRRSSS

Andy Thomson always seemed a weird bloke to me, I don't really remember him scoring that many but I think he had quite a habit of scoring the late consolation goal when we'd inevitably lose 4-1 at some remote northern hell hole we always lose at.

I'm probably wrong to a degree but... I think Gerry signed him (or Holloway) in March 2001 when of course we went down.

67 Apps 27 goals.
Login to get fewer ads

Lyndon Dykes on 13:41 - Jun 4 with 1956 viewsdistortR

Lyndon Dykes on 10:44 - Jun 4 by nix

I know. It's like people imagine our past strikers have been more prolific than they actually were, so they compare our current strikers to fictitious standards. Given that it's increasingly hard to find a decent, cheap striker as so many clubs have upped their scouting and the Prem clubs stack up the best young talent, I think we need to be a bit more realistic.

I know I'm repeating myself Nix, but for me it's about the frustration of watching Dykes. We have seen short spells of the player we want and need, and then it goes to shit. Confidence, injuries, systems, a mix of everything, who knows.
While we generally want his Scotland performances for QPR, Scotland got a QPR performance from him the other night!
Lyndon Dykes on 13:59 - Jun 4 with 1899 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Lyndon Dykes on 13:41 - Jun 4 by distortR

I know I'm repeating myself Nix, but for me it's about the frustration of watching Dykes. We have seen short spells of the player we want and need, and then it goes to shit. Confidence, injuries, systems, a mix of everything, who knows.
While we generally want his Scotland performances for QPR, Scotland got a QPR performance from him the other night!

He actually scores marginally more for us (0.29) per game than for Scotland (0.28) so it’s another trope I think.

I’ve only seen him once for Scotland (v England) and thought he was pretty absent.
Lyndon Dykes on 13:59 - Jun 4 with 1896 viewsMrSheen

Lyndon Dykes on 12:46 - Jun 4 by TGRRRSSS

Andy Thomson always seemed a weird bloke to me, I don't really remember him scoring that many but I think he had quite a habit of scoring the late consolation goal when we'd inevitably lose 4-1 at some remote northern hell hole we always lose at.

I'm probably wrong to a degree but... I think Gerry signed him (or Holloway) in March 2001 when of course we went down.

67 Apps 27 goals.

I also remember him scoring a ton of goals in the first half of that season, then drying up. I used to go with my cousin then, and we both spotted that he never seemed to celebrate anyone else scoring. It was all about the goal bonus. King prawns tonight, oh yes.
Lyndon Dykes on 14:03 - Jun 4 with 1884 viewsdistortR

Lyndon Dykes on 13:59 - Jun 4 by BazzaInTheLoft

He actually scores marginally more for us (0.29) per game than for Scotland (0.28) so it’s another trope I think.

I’ve only seen him once for Scotland (v England) and thought he was pretty absent.

fair enough, but I think we all know that with Dykes, it's not just about his scoring, but his all round performance. Against Ukraine, I think Clarke got the formation wrong, but I suppose I don't really know enough about their squad really.
Lyndon Dykes on 14:04 - Jun 4 with 1879 viewsnix

Lyndon Dykes on 13:41 - Jun 4 by distortR

Don't worry, I repeat myself all the time!

I get the frustration. I suppose I'm coming from the place that while they're our player, and they seem to be doing their best, why not get behind them?

As for Scotland, I think they have an issue similar to ours at times of their players not passing when they should do and not getting enough decent crosses in. However I didn't see the game the other night, so I can't comment on that.

But I'm also curious about whether Beale can bring something different to the squad. I was a Warburton fan, but I also think there was a time at the end of the season where he ran out of ideas and energy to effect change. Maybe Beale'll bring something different to Dykes' game and the service he receives.
Lyndon Dykes on 14:07 - Jun 4 with 1874 viewsdistortR

Lyndon Dykes on 14:04 - Jun 4 by nix

Don't worry, I repeat myself all the time!

I get the frustration. I suppose I'm coming from the place that while they're our player, and they seem to be doing their best, why not get behind them?

As for Scotland, I think they have an issue similar to ours at times of their players not passing when they should do and not getting enough decent crosses in. However I didn't see the game the other night, so I can't comment on that.

But I'm also curious about whether Beale can bring something different to the squad. I was a Warburton fan, but I also think there was a time at the end of the season where he ran out of ideas and energy to effect change. Maybe Beale'll bring something different to Dykes' game and the service he receives.

With the service thing, I sometimes wonder if it can be to do with the players who are supposed to be getting the crosses in not having enough confidence in those supposed to be getting on the end of the crosses.
Lyndon Dykes on 14:08 - Jun 4 with 1869 viewsfrancisbowles

Lyndon Dykes on 14:03 - Jun 4 by distortR

fair enough, but I think we all know that with Dykes, it's not just about his scoring, but his all round performance. Against Ukraine, I think Clarke got the formation wrong, but I suppose I don't really know enough about their squad really.

I think he played well and scored a few for Scotland in his first few internationals but has been mediocre since, for them.
Lyndon Dykes on 14:12 - Jun 4 with 1850 viewsnix

Lyndon Dykes on 14:07 - Jun 4 by distortR

With the service thing, I sometimes wonder if it can be to do with the players who are supposed to be getting the crosses in not having enough confidence in those supposed to be getting on the end of the crosses.

That could be it. 🤷🏽‍♀️
Lyndon Dykes on 14:43 - Jun 4 with 1823 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Lyndon Dykes on 14:03 - Jun 4 by distortR

True.

For the record, I think your frustration is justified and I know this doesn’t apply to you but I find the general hyperbole expressed about his faults irritating. As Norf has said, expectations for a lot of people don’t take FFP into account. That’s why my defence of him is over top. It’s because expectations are too.

Let’s hope Beale’s influence either turns him into a better player or at least increases his transfer fee.
Lyndon Dykes on 23:32 - Jun 4 with 1580 viewsbosh67

Dykes has withdrawn from the squad. I think it may well be from the rake he took down the back of the calf. It was a nasty one.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Lyndon Dykes on 09:33 - Jun 5 with 1410 viewsCamberleyR

It IS a lazy trope. How many trophies did Newcastle win when Alan Shearer was banging in 20 goals season after season for them. A big fat zero.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Lyndon Dykes on 09:50 - Jun 5 with 1386 viewsbosh67

Dykes has a thigh injury. No word on how bad but hopefully he is somewhere near fit for next season.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Lyndon Dykes on 10:22 - Jun 5 with 1328 viewsessextaxiboy

Lyndon Dykes on 23:32 - Jun 4 by bosh67

Dykes has withdrawn from the squad. I think it may well be from the rake he took down the back of the calf. It was a nasty one.

Gardening can be a bit dangerous ..
Lyndon Dykes on 11:44 - Jun 5 with 1182 viewsdmm

Quad muscle injury. I guess he may miss the start of pre-season training.
Lyndon Dykes on 12:06 - Jun 5 with 1134 viewsLazyFan

All guesswork, based on zero facts but ...

Dykes gets too many injuries, too often, I am worried we are in the Duncan Ferguson and Andy Carroll territory here.

They won't be going to the world cup now so, no chance of a one-off worldie to flog him from.

I would sell him to Burnely or Glasgow for £5m and start again, he gets injured too often and too easily. And just as he's getting fit he breaks down again.

zzzzzzzzzz

Lyndon Dykes on 13:08 - Jun 5 with 1049 viewsQPR_John

Lyndon Dykes on 12:06 - Jun 5 by LazyFan

All guesswork, based on zero facts but ...

Dykes gets too many injuries, too often, I am worried we are in the Duncan Ferguson and Andy Carroll territory here.

They won't be going to the world cup now so, no chance of a one-off worldie to flog him from.

I would sell him to Burnely or Glasgow for £5m and start again, he gets injured too often and too easily. And just as he's getting fit he breaks down again.

You say sell him to Burnley or Celtic or Rangers for £5M but then say he has fitness problems. Other clubs would be aware of that so why would they buy him
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024