Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next season's squad 10:55 - Mar 18 with 6055 viewsdannyblue

With 10 games left, safety secured, promotion avoided, I started thinking about the squad for next season.

Lumley, Cameron, Wallace are all out of contract I believe. I can see Cameron returning to the land of the free. Wallace might get a one year extension (he'll be 34 but apparently great influence in dressing room). Kelly sees his future elsewhere. I'd be happy to re-sign Lumley but he may want to go.

We have an option extend Carroll's contract and to buy Field and De Wijs I believe, which I think we'll take up barring injury. I don't know about Johansen or Austin. I'm not sure anyone is likely to be sold because a big offer comes in, apart from Dieng perhaps.

That leaves us with:

GK: Dieng, Barnes, Walsh
RB: Kane, Kakay
CB: Dickie, Barbet, De Wijs, Masterson
LB: Wallace, Hamalainen
CM: Ball, Field, Amos, Carroll, Bettache
AM: Chair, Willock, Adomah, Shodipo, Thomas
S: Dykes, Bonne, Kelman

Hopefully we won't have to see another overhaul in the summer and it'll just be tweaking the squad.

I'd love us to sign Johansen. If he's not available I think Warbs will go for some experienced height and strength on a free to replace Cameron.
I can see us signing a left wing back if Wallace doesn't re-sign and maybe even if he does.
If finances allow the only thing missing is that marquee centre forward. Austin is unknown, really, and it'll all depend on the contract he can get elsewhere. I have a sneaky suspicion Dykes will start up top next season, get a goal in the first game, and go on a riproaring confidence-inspired run.
Warbs has mentioned missing the pace of BOS, so we might go for a powerful rough diamond from somewhere too.

It should help our performances next year if we're not shipping 10 in and out again.

Next season's squad on 11:00 - Mar 18 with 3824 viewsrsonist

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/warburton-gives-first-indication-of-what-qpr

“Bright brought us that attribute of pace, which is so vital to many teams. We’ll probably have to look at it in the summer.”
Next season's squad on 11:01 - Mar 18 with 3815 viewsdaveB

Austin was interviewed on the Talking Rangers you tube channel the other week and although he didn't really commit one way or the other about next season he did say him coming back would have a lot to do with the clubs ambition and what they want to achieve. It does a bit like a watershed moment coming up, do we have a go next season not in a spend 20 million and go barmy kind of way but look to keep these 4 loanees and really push on to finish in the top 8 next season.
Next season's squad on 11:03 - Mar 18 with 3815 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Without Johansen and Austin, we wouldn't have gone on our recent run. If they're not staying, we MUST find suitable replacements otherwise we'll be back to square one. Even last night, it's Austin's brilliant header that gets us back in it.

While Wallace and Kane have benefitted from us going five at the back, we need to find two quick, attacking full backs that can get crosses in consistently because that clearly suits our playing style.
Next season's squad on 11:29 - Mar 18 with 3744 viewsrsonist

Next season's squad on 11:01 - Mar 18 by daveB

Austin was interviewed on the Talking Rangers you tube channel the other week and although he didn't really commit one way or the other about next season he did say him coming back would have a lot to do with the clubs ambition and what they want to achieve. It does a bit like a watershed moment coming up, do we have a go next season not in a spend 20 million and go barmy kind of way but look to keep these 4 loanees and really push on to finish in the top 8 next season.

That's interesting, I hadn't seen that interview bit. I'd assumed CA might not have been as reckless with some of the things he's said without at least some preliminary indication of mutual understanding with the club about what's feasible for the future, but that looks a bit like he's exerting some pressure on a deal now.

Also a possible factor is he's clearly fond of Johansen too, who contrary to CA did say “I have received signals from the club that they may want to take me on, so it will be a process when I return". ( https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-stefan-johansen-could-stay-at-qp

Personally I have thought CA will stay and SJ is borderline - the latter is a tough deal on paper when it would likely take us to the limit while we still have Amos we're committed to and other areas we likely prefer to invest in (pace) rather than stick a cheaper plaster over.
Next season's squad on 11:43 - Mar 18 with 3699 viewsdaveB

Next season's squad on 11:29 - Mar 18 by rsonist

That's interesting, I hadn't seen that interview bit. I'd assumed CA might not have been as reckless with some of the things he's said without at least some preliminary indication of mutual understanding with the club about what's feasible for the future, but that looks a bit like he's exerting some pressure on a deal now.

Also a possible factor is he's clearly fond of Johansen too, who contrary to CA did say “I have received signals from the club that they may want to take me on, so it will be a process when I return". ( https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-stefan-johansen-could-stay-at-qp

Personally I have thought CA will stay and SJ is borderline - the latter is a tough deal on paper when it would likely take us to the limit while we still have Amos we're committed to and other areas we likely prefer to invest in (pace) rather than stick a cheaper plaster over.

Austin won't be short of offers, West Brom may take it out of everyones hands and keep him when they come down
Next season's squad on 14:13 - Mar 18 with 3474 viewsTonto

Aside from Jo Jo and Charlie -which we can only speculate about, to me the weaknesses are depth at FB/WB.

Even with Cameron moving on, we seem good at CB

Amos and LTC to come back in midfield would provide competition - but Jo Jo has been a cut above. I think there is a reasonable chance he will be back, but only if Fulham stay up (so be careful what you wish for)

Charlie is much harder to predict - as someone said above, if West Brom come down, thats an issue. His wages are an issue. the transfer fee is an issue. do we put all our eggs in one Charlie shaped basket?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Next season's squad on 14:34 - Mar 18 with 3415 viewsfrancisbowles

Charlie is out of contract but West Brom hold a one year option. If they are to get a fee they will have to exercise their option and pay him the same as he is currently on. I very much doubt that they will take that risk.

So it will probably come down to what we can offer Charlie. Can we get close enough to other offers to persuade him to accept less for a better home life etc.
Next season's squad on 14:37 - Mar 18 with 3402 viewsBostonR

Let Carroll go and use that money to support retaining Johansen. Let Cameron, Kelly and Lumley go and use that money to retain Austin.
Login to get fewer ads

Next season's squad on 14:41 - Mar 18 with 3390 viewsenfieldargh

Next season's squad on 14:13 - Mar 18 by Tonto

Aside from Jo Jo and Charlie -which we can only speculate about, to me the weaknesses are depth at FB/WB.

Amos and LTC to come back in midfield would provide competition - but Jo Jo has been a cut above. I think there is a reasonable chance he will be back, but only if Fulham stay up (so be careful what you wish for)

Charlie is much harder to predict - as someone said above, if West Brom come down, thats an issue. His wages are an issue. the transfer fee is an issue. do we put all our eggs in one Charlie shaped basket?

think it all depends on how the EFL view FFP.

problem is they are so slow to react and punish teams.

Read somewhere that Derbys take over is off the table. Forest dodgy accounting, Reading must have blown their FFP as they have hardly sold anyone for decent money.

Would like to think the club can somehow create wiggle room to sign CA & SJ.

Cameron's wages will free up revenue plus there must be money from Eze's sale still up our sleeve & 500K from Manning & Bright(?) even with lack of lockdown revenue...yes pie in the sky I know

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Next season's squad on 14:46 - Mar 18 with 3372 viewskarl

Next season's squad on 14:13 - Mar 18 by Tonto

Charlie's a funny one, he's possibly finished as a Prem player, other than impact sub, but is obviously looking for that level of pay as he is certainly someone who can get a team promoted as he still puts the ball in the net consistently.
For us it's about value on outlay, do we write off his wage as equivalent to a transfer fee but on the basis there is no sell on to recoup, rather it's his goal return that is weighed against that fee and ultimately the league placings we gain which can be valued in prize money, increased gate receipts etc.
Autumn form and performances were crying out for experience and a goalscorer, without doubt Johansen and Charlie have brought that and it could be said if we had them 1st December the play offs would be agonisingly possible?
We need goals in the team so if we don't sign Charlie an alternative has to come in, if playoffs are a target then someone with a track record is essential.
Keep hold of Dickie, Barbet and sign DeWijs gives us a good foundation, Dieng staying would be big statement and it's then seeing what is available within budget I'd imagine. Kane, Kakay, Haameleinan and Wallace are capable of mid table with those players central, Johansen and Austin fit and on form push us into top 8 I would think.
Next season's squad on 14:51 - Mar 18 with 3356 viewsfrancisbowles

Next season's squad on 14:37 - Mar 18 by BostonR

Let Carroll go and use that money to support retaining Johansen. Let Cameron, Kelly and Lumley go and use that money to retain Austin.

Problem is we have been introducing a wage structure. If we do sign Austin and or Johansen we will have to go to the limit of that and then put anything else in a signing on and bonus scheme.

Kelly, has a couple of years left, so we should be looking for a fee if he is allowed to leave.
Next season's squad on 14:51 - Mar 18 with 3354 viewsAntti_Heinola

Next season's squad on 11:43 - Mar 18 by daveB

Austin won't be short of offers, West Brom may take it out of everyones hands and keep him when they come down

Austin may not be short of offers, but he will be short of offers attractive to him.
He won't want to move too far, certainly not midlands or north, as he's already intimated.
That cuts down significantly. I would be amazed if West Brom took up his contract on the kind of salary he must be on there. Amazed.
Johansen I think we'll get if Fulham stay up.
Come on Fulham.

Bare bones.

Next season's squad on 15:01 - Mar 18 with 3317 viewskarl

Next season's squad on 14:51 - Mar 18 by francisbowles

Problem is we have been introducing a wage structure. If we do sign Austin and or Johansen we will have to go to the limit of that and then put anything else in a signing on and bonus scheme.

Kelly, has a couple of years left, so we should be looking for a fee if he is allowed to leave.

Kelly has a good name in Scotland so might be clubs interested there, however getting a fee is likely going to be difficult.
Celtic and Rangers won't go for him, Aberdeen have an expensive first choice on decent length contract, Hearts have Craig Gordon who although a veteran they will give the season as number I'm sure.
Hibs are possibly most likely as all keepers are out of contract and number 1 has turned down new deal. However in terms of a fee it will be figures like £200k and generally his wage will probably be too high to pay a fee and absorb that, on a free transfer a signing on fee would often be used to facilitate him into wage structure. Anyone else in Scotland I'm doubtful he would be within wage structure and little chance of transfer fee.
His physical presence goes against him in the Championship so it's difficult to see where he would go and we don't lose money on him, probably League 1 with a pay off of some sort?
Next season's squad on 15:15 - Mar 18 with 3285 viewsDavieQPR

The 'reported' wages of the out of contract players are:
Cameron £12,500
Lumley £6,000
Wallace £10,000
Carroll £9,000
Smyth £5,000.
If they all go it depends what's left in the kitty. If we sign De Wijs and Field how much have we got left to sign Austin and Johanssen? We would also need a LWB although Field has played there in the past.
Next season's squad on 15:43 - Mar 18 with 3225 viewsbosh67

I think we should see what we can do to balance the books around Austin, Johansen, Field and de Wijs. Essentially all 4 have contributed to us going from being relegation fodder to top half comfortable. If those 4 plus Amos hopefully back, plus retaining Carroll and getting Shodipo and Alfa back and I think we would have a good settled squad. I don't think Albert is 'shot' either. I think Cameron has been absolutely excellent despite what some say but it does come down to money and whether Warbs feels he has it in him for another season. But for me concentrating on somehow securing Austin, Johansen, Field and De Wijs makes me feel that we could be making a play-off challenge next season if they hit the ground running 21-22.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Next season's squad on 16:11 - Mar 18 with 3181 viewsdmm

We should remember the club's strategy to sell one or two players each season to balance the books. Will this be necessary this summer? I don't know but if we are going to mount an assault on the top six, retaining Dieng, Dickie and Chair will be as important, if not more so, than keeping the loan players or bringing in new blood.

Perhaps another thing is the club's strategy to bring our young players through to the senior squad. I am not aware of any who would be ready next season but others may think otherwise.
Next season's squad on 16:55 - Mar 18 with 3114 viewsed_83

Is Owens out of contract in the summer? If not then I can imagine him doing what Bettache has done this season and being gradually brought into the first team squad.

Priorities are clearly going to be:

Austin, or replacement
Johansen, or replacement
Defensive midfielder / centre back to replace Cameron
Replacement for Wallace if he doesn't renew

Warburton's spoken about bringing in more pace upfront, which presumably means another attacking player to replace Bright. Upgrades at right and left back would be good, but not an urgent priority.

The big question's going to be who we sell, rather than who we buy. Hopefully our attempts to balance the books, and the fact that Chair, Dickie, Dieng, Willock etc all have a while to go on their contracts, means that if bids do come in we can demand what players are actually worth, rather than letting them go cheaply out of desperation.
Next season's squad on 16:58 - Mar 18 with 3106 viewsdaveB

Next season's squad on 14:51 - Mar 18 by Antti_Heinola

Austin may not be short of offers, but he will be short of offers attractive to him.
He won't want to move too far, certainly not midlands or north, as he's already intimated.
That cuts down significantly. I would be amazed if West Brom took up his contract on the kind of salary he must be on there. Amazed.
Johansen I think we'll get if Fulham stay up.
Come on Fulham.

Austin coming to us allows him to continue his media work in London which he seems to be enjoying and is good at, coming here makes a lot of sense but he will get other offers so I don't think it's certain he will be here. Will be interesting to hear what is said at the fans forum about this
Next season's squad on 17:28 - Mar 18 with 2968 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Next season's squad on 16:55 - Mar 18 by ed_83

Is Owens out of contract in the summer? If not then I can imagine him doing what Bettache has done this season and being gradually brought into the first team squad.

Priorities are clearly going to be:

Austin, or replacement
Johansen, or replacement
Defensive midfielder / centre back to replace Cameron
Replacement for Wallace if he doesn't renew

Warburton's spoken about bringing in more pace upfront, which presumably means another attacking player to replace Bright. Upgrades at right and left back would be good, but not an urgent priority.

The big question's going to be who we sell, rather than who we buy. Hopefully our attempts to balance the books, and the fact that Chair, Dickie, Dieng, Willock etc all have a while to go on their contracts, means that if bids do come in we can demand what players are actually worth, rather than letting them go cheaply out of desperation.

"Warburton's spoken about bringing in more pace upfront, which presumably means another attacking player to replace Bright."

Or scooters for our current players. We have to think outside the box.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Next season's squad on 17:34 - Mar 18 with 2945 viewsTonto

i certainly get the feeling we have less holes that we did for the last couple of years. it feels like pruning and shaping rather than wholesale surgery required

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Next season's squad on 20:40 - Mar 18 with 2678 viewsMyke

Next season's squad on 15:15 - Mar 18 by DavieQPR

The 'reported' wages of the out of contract players are:
Cameron £12,500
Lumley £6,000
Wallace £10,000
Carroll £9,000
Smyth £5,000.
If they all go it depends what's left in the kitty. If we sign De Wijs and Field how much have we got left to sign Austin and Johanssen? We would also need a LWB although Field has played there in the past.

I would be shocked if Carroll and Smyth were on 9K and 5K respectively 7 and 2 more likely
Next season's squad on 20:56 - Mar 18 with 2646 viewskensalriser

I guess we'll be remixing the Austin question repeatedly until the summer.

But for me, no chance WBA will take the option. Allardyce made it clear Austin's not in his plans and they will not have trouble finding someone of that quality, probably younger, for less than 70k pw.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Next season's squad on 20:59 - Mar 18 with 2638 viewsfrancisbowles

Next season's squad on 15:01 - Mar 18 by karl

Kelly has a good name in Scotland so might be clubs interested there, however getting a fee is likely going to be difficult.
Celtic and Rangers won't go for him, Aberdeen have an expensive first choice on decent length contract, Hearts have Craig Gordon who although a veteran they will give the season as number I'm sure.
Hibs are possibly most likely as all keepers are out of contract and number 1 has turned down new deal. However in terms of a fee it will be figures like £200k and generally his wage will probably be too high to pay a fee and absorb that, on a free transfer a signing on fee would often be used to facilitate him into wage structure. Anyone else in Scotland I'm doubtful he would be within wage structure and little chance of transfer fee.
His physical presence goes against him in the Championship so it's difficult to see where he would go and we don't lose money on him, probably League 1 with a pay off of some sort?

Karl, I get where you are coming from but if we could get £200k for him then we would have done ok as we only paid £50k. I don't have any idea of the wages he is on, I would guess a bit more than he would have got staying in Scotland but not a fortune. I think he came as he thought he would be first choice and in a, relatively high profile club to build his career and get into the national team. If Dieng is bought, and I hope he isn't, there may well be a future for him here as Lumley will probably move on and Barnes is also out of contract. Walsh and the other young keepers may not be ready to move up and may go on loan. I also get the bit about his, Kelly's, size but I don't think he has had any real disasters and maybe having a stronger defence in front of him, with Dickie and De Wijs, if as expected we sign him, Liam may adapt better.
Next season's squad on 21:08 - Mar 18 with 2625 viewsqueensparker

I think it’s a bit hopeful to think after a whole season without ticket revenue we won’t need to sell anyone.

I reckon Dieng is the most likely to go, he’s plainly a great keeper and a big part of our improvement. The lad is going places.
Next season's squad on 21:22 - Mar 18 with 2596 viewskarl

Next season's squad on 20:59 - Mar 18 by francisbowles

Karl, I get where you are coming from but if we could get £200k for him then we would have done ok as we only paid £50k. I don't have any idea of the wages he is on, I would guess a bit more than he would have got staying in Scotland but not a fortune. I think he came as he thought he would be first choice and in a, relatively high profile club to build his career and get into the national team. If Dieng is bought, and I hope he isn't, there may well be a future for him here as Lumley will probably move on and Barnes is also out of contract. Walsh and the other young keepers may not be ready to move up and may go on loan. I also get the bit about his, Kelly's, size but I don't think he has had any real disasters and maybe having a stronger defence in front of him, with Dickie and De Wijs, if as expected we sign him, Liam may adapt better.

All good points FB👍
I was hoping in the keeper succession plan that Kelly would fit in after Lumley was picked up by Prem team and then made himself Scotland number 1, I didn't see Seny fitting into this!
After his handful of games at Hibs I like Barnes more than Kelly.
I actually don't think Hibs will sign him but would be only real option up here, of course a, back up at Rangers and less so at Celtic could be an option but he needs 1st team football I think, he's decent but there's better for our budget possibly
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024