Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back 20:50 - Apr 5 with 2326 viewsBazzeR

With our current injuries at C/Back today was an opportunity to field a back Four and not disrupt our M/F drive and bite with Sam Field change of position.
I see a lack of pace with both Barbet and Dickie at C/B and inexperienced F/Backs in Kakay and Nico ,leaving experienced F/Bs in both Kane and Wallace.
Would it not be an obvious benefit for our players to be able to switch to a Four depending on opposition tactics and injuries.
Why does a Four not suit our current players ?
[Post edited 5 Apr 2021 20:54]
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 22:17 - Apr 5 with 2154 viewsMalintabuk

Think you answered your question in your post, lack of pace.
Neither Dickie or Barbet are blessed with pace so having a back 3 negates the exposure to pace
I think starting with the 3 at the back was OK, just the wrong personnel. By moving Field back it certainly weakened our midfield, and what was more telling Johansen possibly had his worse game for us with Field not backing him up
With Kane looking out of favour think Warbs was stuck with not be able to move Kakay into the 3
So I would have changed it to a 4 at half time and move Field back into MF.
I don't think Uncle can play WB for a full half so I would likedcto have seen us try something like a 4-1-4-1
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 22:22 - Apr 5 with 2141 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The system that put us top of the form table this calendar year shouldn’t be dismissed in my opinion.

Let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water.
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 22:29 - Apr 5 with 2114 viewsMalintabuk

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 22:22 - Apr 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

The system that put us top of the form table this calendar year shouldn’t be dismissed in my opinion.

Agree but you have to have the players to play it and where we normally do today seemed the exception
It wasn't really working and I thought Warbs may have tried something different for the 2nd half
But it's all what for or may bes I guess
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 22:30 - Apr 5 with 2114 viewsrsonist

Changing to a four doesn't disrupt the midfield, apart from the all the passes they usually receive and all the passes they usually make.
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 23:18 - Apr 5 with 2024 viewskensalriser

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 22:22 - Apr 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

That didn't seem right to me so I checked it. And it's not.

We're currently 9th by calendar year, 15 points off the leaders (Norwich, obviously).

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB2?saison_i

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 23:27 - Apr 5 with 2002 viewssdm1508

3 at the back has led to a number of players who were having ropey seasons to dramatically improve. It helps deal with deficiencies in the team. Barbet was having too many brain farts and isn't that quick. The responsibility of defending is now spread amongst three centre backs and allows a greater area to be covered amongst these three meaning a lack of pace isn't as exposed. We have also had our best run of the season with this formation. Even with injuries if there is players available thst might allow the formation to continue then I would always go with that option. Personally I would have liked to have seen ball playing at the back as he has a good mentality and Field offers more in midfield and he and Stefan babe built up a good understanding. The principle of keeping to three at the back was right just too many changes to keep it going.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2021 23:27]
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 07:44 - Apr 6 with 1815 viewsNorthernr

Played four at the back through the first half of the season - won 4/24.
Switched to wing backs in January - 32 points from 17 games, only Norwich and Watford have done better.

Guys, we weren't very good yesterday, but it was one game.
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 07:53 - Apr 6 with 1790 viewsdenhamhoop2

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 07:44 - Apr 6 by Northernr

Played four at the back through the first half of the season - won 4/24.
Switched to wing backs in January - 32 points from 17 games, only Norwich and Watford have done better.

Guys, we weren't very good yesterday, but it was one game.

It was 2 games in 4 days a situation we haven't traditionally done well at. At a ground where traditionally QPR have lost against a side that sit back and counter yet again something we struggle with then throw in playing Field at CB weakened both the defence and the midfield at the same time. Then throw in we're safe and mentally just a drop off of 5 to `10 percent in this league means defeat normally
Login to get fewer ads

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 08:00 - Apr 6 with 1773 viewsdistortR

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 23:18 - Apr 5 by kensalriser

That didn't seem right to me so I checked it. And it's not.

We're currently 9th by calendar year, 15 points off the leaders (Norwich, obviously).

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB2?saison_i

we played 22 league games up to dec 31st, I believe, which makes us 4th this year
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 08:10 - Apr 6 with 1751 viewsNorthernr

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 08:00 - Apr 6 by distortR

we played 22 league games up to dec 31st, I believe, which makes us 4th this year

Is correct.
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 08:12 - Apr 6 with 1741 viewsdistortR

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 08:10 - Apr 6 by Northernr

Is correct.

blimme. I might frame that!
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 08:29 - Apr 6 with 1690 viewsNorthantsHoop

Forest seemed to have done their homework on us, and allowed no space to exploit wing back positions.Hughton defence minded coach, Andy Sinton was saying during the game that Forest were content to sit back and kept their formation and shape very well. Thought Warburton playing Field at centre back was a mistake, Ball should have started there. Field has been much more effective alongside Johansen in the midfield. But overall just an off day at the office, hopefully De Wijs is back on Saturday as have been impressed by him so far.
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 09:13 - Apr 6 with 1625 viewsBazzeR

I still feel that the 4 should not be discounted completely due to the extra creative player that it provides.

Our improved win ratio also coincided with the introduction of having the loans and in particular the pairing of Johansen and Fields in front of the defence.

They are a significant upgrade on the Cameron ,Carroll/Ball combination used before January.

It would be a very nice option to slot Amos alongside Johansen and Field.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 9:27]
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 09:29 - Apr 6 with 1566 viewscollegeranger

with a game in hand against Rotherham and should we win that 3rd!
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 10:56 - Apr 6 with 1473 viewskensalriser

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 08:00 - Apr 6 by distortR

Now I see where i went wrong, I was relying on the fixtures in the predictions league to calculate the games - which doesn't include the games I forgot to predict.

So we're actually 4th from then until now, with a game in hand on Barnsley.

How the hell did we beat Watford and then lose to Birmingham?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 10:59 - Apr 6 with 1466 viewsNorthernr

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 10:56 - Apr 6 by kensalriser

Now I see where i went wrong, I was relying on the fixtures in the predictions league to calculate the games - which doesn't include the games I forgot to predict.

So we're actually 4th from then until now, with a game in hand on Barnsley.

How the hell did we beat Watford and then lose to Birmingham?

Same way we played like world beaters on Friday and the Dog and Duck on Monday. It's kind of what we do.
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 11:12 - Apr 6 with 1442 viewsWestbourneR

Sinton said Forest were 'setting traps' and I have to say we embarrassingly negated by Hughton. It looked like taking sweets off a child.

For me the key was the out ball from the wing backs. Forest filled the space down the flanks and blocked their forward runs. But our centre mids never got up and close enough to offer Kakay and Wallace an out-ball inside. Ball was particularly atrocious but Johansen looked shagged as well.

It was compounded by the fact that Willock and Chair also rarely dropped deep enough to receive a ball in-field from the wide areas either.

So the ball would go out to the wing backs and then back again to the CBs, no penetration into the final third.

I really like Warburton but he seems to very happy with a backwards pass - I wish we'd pass with bit more forward incision sometimes.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 10:18 - Apr 7 with 1250 viewsLazyFan

Warbs tried an experiment.

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. This time it failed, but it was okay to fail as we are safe, now is the time to do it. As we have learned that Dom Ball is not match sharp and can be exposed badly if he has to carry the ball from the defence into attack.

We know Field is less effective at the back but can play there if we have too. We can see that Stef cannot hold the entire midfield on his own and needs help even if he is asked to just do attacking alone. Whereas Freeman in his prime could do this, sure different style of players, but that's what we have learned from that game.

We also learned that Kaky on his own does not work. He had to face two very pacy players from Florist and he could only cope with one of them. What did Ollie call it? "The graveyard shift". This is why Kakay struggled, he was outnumbered.

Saying that we scored one and also should have had one earlier when it was only 1-0, Austin should have scored his chance. And their third goal was a fluke. Seny will also learn from that.

zzzzzzzzzz

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 12:07 - Apr 7 with 1193 viewsBazzeR

Would it not be prudent to introduce some promising players into the first team now to gauge their impact for next season.
Blooding players like Gubbins ,Wells and Carlyle could provide a saving in loans or transfer fees as we will need extra cover at C/B if current formation is continued next season.
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 13:00 - Apr 7 with 1134 viewsrsonist

Field maybe looked more viable as a Barbet understudy than in the centre, but I struggle to come away from that game with anything vaguely resembling a firm conviction tbh. It might be coachable given time, it might not; it might be too much complexity for a consistent Plan A at this level.

Would be happy to see us try it again in the coming games with Ball and Field switched round, or Bettache for Ball. I suppose it's arguable though you might want to favour a positive momentum for next season more than the indifference of experimenting, even though there might be some enlightenment to be found.

Really hope there's a chance of seeing Carroll back this season and how he might complement.
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 13:09 - Apr 7 with 1112 viewsPinnerPaul

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 10:59 - Apr 6 by Northernr

Same way we played like world beaters on Friday and the Dog and Duck on Monday. It's kind of what we do.

and what everyone else does as well, as you said in your preview.

Coventry and Sheff Weds victories just two examples from Monday alone!
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 13:36 - Apr 7 with 1067 viewsgazza1

You can all go on about systems, formations, players out of position, MW, etc, etc.....but

If you make an error like Barbet did in the 44th minute, the keeper failed to deal with a cross, come shot and you get a goal by a fantastic shot then you are going to get beat.

I thought it was around evens until the 44th minute.....I was not not worried too much although we wasn't playing as fluently as we have been. Several players didn't deliver like they have been doing.

We lost, move on.....blame what you like but if individuals make basic errors then you get beat - simple.
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 13:59 - Apr 7 with 1030 viewsrsonist

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 13:36 - Apr 7 by gazza1

You can all go on about systems, formations, players out of position, MW, etc, etc.....but

If you make an error like Barbet did in the 44th minute, the keeper failed to deal with a cross, come shot and you get a goal by a fantastic shot then you are going to get beat.

I thought it was around evens until the 44th minute.....I was not not worried too much although we wasn't playing as fluently as we have been. Several players didn't deliver like they have been doing.

We lost, move on.....blame what you like but if individuals make basic errors then you get beat - simple.

There was definitely a first goal wins kind of vibe.
Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 14:01 - Apr 7 with 1029 viewsgolborne

Why Can’t We Play A Four At The Back on 13:00 - Apr 7 by rsonist

Field maybe looked more viable as a Barbet understudy than in the centre, but I struggle to come away from that game with anything vaguely resembling a firm conviction tbh. It might be coachable given time, it might not; it might be too much complexity for a consistent Plan A at this level.

Would be happy to see us try it again in the coming games with Ball and Field switched round, or Bettache for Ball. I suppose it's arguable though you might want to favour a positive momentum for next season more than the indifference of experimenting, even though there might be some enlightenment to be found.

Really hope there's a chance of seeing Carroll back this season and how he might complement.

Definitely on the latter there. Ball struggles to hold a position (not missing having to hear Warburton scream "Dom, Dom, SHAPE" all through the games recently) and he gets drawn to the the ball too easily, which often results in him losing his own man and committing unnecessary fouls. Not talking his commitment here, as I know everybody loves a trier, but if we are to advance in any way in the coming seasons...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024