Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
De Wijs 20:13 - Apr 22 with 7040 viewsaston_hoop

Yes or no? Dave Mac saying we have an option to either complete the deal or send him back. Its a yes for me - good age, offers something different to our more 'cultured' options and could be invaluable next season. Been unlucky with injuries but thats got to be just that, bad luck and nothing more.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

De Wijs on 09:46 - Apr 23 with 1636 viewsNorthernr

Apart from Wallace, who Warburton is obviously in love with, he has often spoken about the importance of durability and being available for 30+ games when you're assembling a small squad on a tight budget. Not sure where a centre half who misses two games (and counting) with a broken nose fits into that.
De Wijs on 09:48 - Apr 23 with 1628 viewsBrianMcCarthy

De Wijs on 09:46 - Apr 23 by Northernr

Apart from Wallace, who Warburton is obviously in love with, he has often spoken about the importance of durability and being available for 30+ games when you're assembling a small squad on a tight budget. Not sure where a centre half who misses two games (and counting) with a broken nose fits into that.

True, unless - as Karl was wondering - he was also concussed.

Otherwise, it's a case of "Get out there O'Leary, you don't play hurling with your nose".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

De Wijs on 09:51 - Apr 23 with 1590 viewsNorthernr

De Wijs on 09:48 - Apr 23 by BrianMcCarthy

True, unless - as Karl was wondering - he was also concussed.

Otherwise, it's a case of "Get out there O'Leary, you don't play hurling with your nose".

Yeh I'm probably being unfair and facetious with the broken nose thing, but atm he basically plays one game a month, that's not sustainable.
De Wijs on 09:53 - Apr 23 with 1577 viewsBrianMcCarthy

De Wijs on 09:51 - Apr 23 by Northernr

Yeh I'm probably being unfair and facetious with the broken nose thing, but atm he basically plays one game a month, that's not sustainable.

It is a concern, though.

After a while, a pattern is no longer linked to luck.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

De Wijs on 09:57 - Apr 23 with 1552 viewsOldPedro

According to the Soccerbase website, he made 32 appearances for Hull in 2018/19 and 35 appearances in 2019/20

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

De Wijs on 10:11 - Apr 23 with 1493 viewsrsonist

No brainer on the field, hard to play armchair physio otherwise. Eye socket and broken nose we can discount, the concern as Brian suggests is if groin, calf, knee are symptoms of a wider biomechanical thing and how addressable that might be.

Historical injury data isn't so easy to find but 30 and 35 starts in his two seasons at Hull is more encouraging. Any cheap contract becomes expensive with unavailability so I guess something incentivized with the expectation of missing 20% would be an idea, except then you've got to balance the squad around it so the value complicates further.

The Masterson injury was a real kick in the jacobs as planning goes. We probably ought to keep trying out Ball at the back for the remaining games, it's been late enough as it is.
De Wijs on 10:37 - Apr 23 with 1443 viewsMyke

Well it's a legit enough concern, unless he was also concussed. Am I right in saying, Masterson broke his nose early in the season and played on after being patched up?
De Wijs on 10:49 - Apr 23 with 1408 viewsGloryHunter

Heading the ball away is such a big part of a centre back's game. Would you be able to go in confidently for twenty or thirty headers - some of them contested - with a broken nose?
Login to get fewer ads

De Wijs on 10:51 - Apr 23 with 1402 viewsswisscottage

If fit, there's no doubt our defence looks as solid as its ever going to with the system we play.

However, I agree with Clive in that we can't afford a player of his level if he's only going to be fit for 1 match in 3.

However if the owners are willing to push the FFP Barrier for one season in a promotion push, then I'd pick him up.

Masterson, hopefully will be fit for pre-season, and I think between Cameron, De Wijs, Barbet, Dickie, Ball, Masterson, and Kakay we would have plenty of cover for the 3 CB spots.

If we were going to stick religiously to our FFP limit though, then I wouldn't take the chance on his injury status, but instead look to develop Masterson
De Wijs on 11:38 - Apr 23 with 1298 viewsMalintabuk

De Wijs on 10:51 - Apr 23 by swisscottage

If fit, there's no doubt our defence looks as solid as its ever going to with the system we play.

However, I agree with Clive in that we can't afford a player of his level if he's only going to be fit for 1 match in 3.

However if the owners are willing to push the FFP Barrier for one season in a promotion push, then I'd pick him up.

Masterson, hopefully will be fit for pre-season, and I think between Cameron, De Wijs, Barbet, Dickie, Ball, Masterson, and Kakay we would have plenty of cover for the 3 CB spots.

If we were going to stick religiously to our FFP limit though, then I wouldn't take the chance on his injury status, but instead look to develop Masterson

Do you think Cameron will be here next season Swiss?
I was wondering if the years extension on Wallace may be to have him next season as captain. And Geoff will finally hang those boots up
De Wijs on 11:40 - Apr 23 with 1300 viewsNorthernr

I'd be very surprised if Cameron went around again.
De Wijs on 11:56 - Apr 23 with 1267 viewstoboboly

It's this, obviously has talent but does seem to be a bit delicate. Strange for a brute of a CB to be like that. This is probably why he was languishing with Hull and not playing higher.

Hall got stick for having actual injuries, on that basis unless he is playing for peanuts I would have to say no to him. Masterson to step up next year will help.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

De Wijs on 11:58 - Apr 23 with 1264 viewsBazzeR

Keep see us being linked to 30 yr old Declan Gallagher of Motherwell ,like Wijs quite an imposing player at 6ft 5.
Would also think our scouts would have seen plenty of him with Liam Kelly being on loan there.
De Wijs on 12:13 - Apr 23 with 1232 viewsBostonR

He is built to play in the Championship. All the decent sides have a "feck-off" centre-back and he fits the bill, plus he can play.
As long as the injuries are manageable and there is no underlying issue he is a must for me. When he has played Dickie and Barbet also look better.
Field = YES!
De Wijs on 14:17 - Apr 23 with 1110 viewskarl

De Wijs on 11:58 - Apr 23 by BazzeR

Keep see us being linked to 30 yr old Declan Gallagher of Motherwell ,like Wijs quite an imposing player at 6ft 5.
Would also think our scouts would have seen plenty of him with Liam Kelly being on loan there.

In my view Scotlands best player in the Euro qualifying matches.
Left sided so would need to play in the centre, I can't remember him playing there tbh?

Out of contract shortly and definitely within our wage structure, I'd go for him if he is capable of being the central player. Barbet better going forward than him and that's probably biggest weakness in his game so holding the back line would suit him since Dickie and Barbet love a forage forward
De Wijs on 14:18 - Apr 23 with 1108 viewssimmo

I'm really torn here, as above there's a lot to like with him. He's a proper brusing CB with size and strength that is surprisingly good with his feet - exactly what we need. He plays that middle position to deal with delivery from wide and allows us to get the best out of Barbs and Dickie either side of him. He's an affordable option too, at a good age and with some experience of the leagues, the coaching and medical staff know about him via this 'trial' period too, so it's less of a punt than your average signing.

All that being said... I don't like that he hasn't been able to string 3 games together. Not playing prev at Hull could be lots of things, but since he's come here and took ages to get match fit, and since he's had to be subbed during games on 2 or 3 occasions and missed matches for various things. The latest, a broken nose, is particularly shite - u don't miss 2.5 games as a CB with a broken nose....

We've just come to the end of a 2 year Wallace contract where we offered him a deal despite him hardly playing and clearly being physically spent, and only got 6ish months of playing time out of him for it. We can't afford to use the resources we have on a player you can't rely on - especially in defence.

Overall if the medical staff - who have been brilliant this season - give it the green light then I am OK with it and hope this is just a blip for him, but it's not as cut and dry as it should be.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

De Wijs on 15:02 - Apr 23 with 1039 viewsrsonist

Yeah, bit much to speculate that our Jozefina is a great big fanny without knowing more about the broken nose. Could be concussed/headaches, could be breathing problems, could be affecting his sight, could be a splintered fracture... whatever.
De Wijs on 15:09 - Apr 23 with 1021 viewsDorse

De Wijs on 15:02 - Apr 23 by rsonist

Yeah, bit much to speculate that our Jozefina is a great big fanny without knowing more about the broken nose. Could be concussed/headaches, could be breathing problems, could be affecting his sight, could be a splintered fracture... whatever.

Could be he's managed to track down the culprit and is taking his revenge.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

De Wijs on 15:12 - Apr 23 with 1008 viewsWestbourneR

De Wijs on 09:46 - Apr 23 by Northernr

I actually the think the type injury goes against what you're saying.

A broken nose is a freak and relatively rare occurrence, it doesn't suggest he's injury prone.

Admittedly, he has had other injuries - but he's been so impressive and so exactly what we need alongside Barbet and Dickie I'd love us to keep him if we can.

Think he's a steal and a top player at this level.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

De Wijs on 15:13 - Apr 23 with 1001 viewskensalriser

You all some heartless hardcore f**kers with the playing with a broken nose shit. Risk the oppo giving you a deliberate whack? I’d want a week off an office job with a broken nose.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

De Wijs on 15:20 - Apr 23 with 983 viewsgazza1

De Wijs on 15:02 - Apr 23 by rsonist

I really cant understand it.....Wijs has done a proper job when he has played. People are being really harsh with him, Norf leading the pack!!! He broke his nose, it depends just where it is broken before you judge - it was a poor foul that deserved possibly a sending off. I would like to see some of you playing with a broken nose at a position where heading is so important. Before that he got a couple of niggles and missed games but I have read on this MB that you must have a 'pre-season' otherwise trouble, maybe that is why he has had the niggles.

Loads want a Carroll to resign yet he is going to miss half a season!! I dont want him because he is not good enough not because he is injured.

It all stinks of double standards to me.....if people dont rate him then sobeit but doubt blame other things. He's decent on the showings that I have seen.

I am confident that he will sign and we should all be pleased with that instead of being negitive.
De Wijs on 15:21 - Apr 23 with 976 viewspaulparker

No from me , seems very injury prone

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

De Wijs on 15:52 - Apr 23 with 929 viewsLazyFan

De Wijs on 14:17 - Apr 23 by karl

In my view Scotlands best player in the Euro qualifying matches.
Left sided so would need to play in the centre, I can't remember him playing there tbh?

Out of contract shortly and definitely within our wage structure, I'd go for him if he is capable of being the central player. Barbet better going forward than him and that's probably biggest weakness in his game so holding the back line would suit him since Dickie and Barbet love a forage forward

I think the Scot may have been "pwroper naughtie" in the past with a baseball bat and served at her majisties pleasure.

Not sure that's the right type we want for our club no?

zzzzzzzzzz

De Wijs on 16:10 - Apr 23 with 880 viewsNorthernr

Christ nuance really is dead on here isn't it. It's not just the broken nose, which obviously isn't his fault, and yes of course could have all sorts of complications, and if you'd like a bullet point list of all the things it might have caused before I'm allowed to make the actual point again then fine...

If you loan a player, and he's only fit to play six times in nearly five months for you, then no matter how good he looked in those five games it is a big, big call for a club to commit what limited squad and salary space it has to that player permanently. That's just really obvious stuff surely? If we do sign him - and I'm not adverse to this per se, he's impressed me a lot more than I thought he would when he has played - then I doubt it would be a one year deal because why would he sign that? Give him two, three years, and find that he can only play five games in the first half of next season, then that's on us. That's our fault. We can't say we weren't warned.

Or, pick him up on a free, because of politics at Hull, and other people having the same doubts, and he goes on and plays 35-40 games in the manner he has for us so far, then that's exactly the sort of clever recruitment, scouting, bargain basement shopping, that we need to do and have been crying out for for a long time.

It's a very difficult decision, one which our data analysists and seemingly very excellent medical team will have far more idea on than we do, so if they go for it then trust them with that. All I'm saying is it's not as simple as "yes of course, he was brilliant at Bristol City" anymore than it's "no you idiot, two games out with a broken nose means he's a big tart".
De Wijs on 16:22 - Apr 23 with 835 viewsMickS

Anyone think a hot tub might help?

Alright Stow?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024