Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Play Offs 09:52 - May 17 with 53802 viewsTomS

Surely the only team that can stop Brentford from getting promoted is Brentford. Looking at the form table, Wycombe have a better record in their final five matches than all of the other three clubs in the Play Offs, and they got relegated.

Momentum is everything in the Championship, can the serial chokers keep their composure this time around?
Play Offs on 10:00 - May 17 with 9292 viewsdaveB

I think they'll do it this time, Swansea are not that good and I think they'd beat Barnsley in a one off game on that big Wembley pitch. Semi final will be tough but they haven beaten Bournemouth twice already
Play Offs on 10:02 - May 17 with 9283 viewsgazza1

They will get promoted if they can deal with the mental pressures which is immense....I hope they hold it together. Good luck Bees.
Play Offs on 10:11 - May 17 with 9238 viewsswitchingcode

Play Offs on 10:02 - May 17 by gazza1

They will get promoted if they can deal with the mental pressures which is immense....I hope they hold it together. Good luck Bees.

Thanks but not confident why would I be after 9 previous failures was hoping we would Nick 6 th spot and be underdogs but we got third and bookies favourites.Last season we went into the play offs after run of poor results this time we are unbeaten in 12 with 6 wins 6 draws so we have some momentum.Good news for me is i will make my first visit to the new stadium for the second leg Saturday and catch up with my mates who I haven’t seen for ages really looking forward to that even if we are 3 down from first leg.
Play Offs on 10:24 - May 17 with 9166 viewsenfieldargh

Think it will be a Brentford Barnsley Final.

I think Clive wants Swansea promoted we cant after all loose teams that begin with the letter B

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Play Offs on 10:25 - May 17 with 9170 viewsGloryHunter

Wall Street Journal analysis of Barnsley:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/barnsley-championship-promotion-moneyball-billy-bea
Play Offs on 10:34 - May 17 with 9127 viewsWatfordR

Think I'm right in saying Brentford have never won a play off final?
Play Offs on 10:37 - May 17 with 9100 viewsgazza1

Play Offs on 10:11 - May 17 by switchingcode

Thanks but not confident why would I be after 9 previous failures was hoping we would Nick 6 th spot and be underdogs but we got third and bookies favourites.Last season we went into the play offs after run of poor results this time we are unbeaten in 12 with 6 wins 6 draws so we have some momentum.Good news for me is i will make my first visit to the new stadium for the second leg Saturday and catch up with my mates who I haven’t seen for ages really looking forward to that even if we are 3 down from first leg.

The only downside if the Bees get promoted......wont be able to visit the new stadium next season.

They have failed most times because of the pressures of getting promoted to the world's best league, the Premiership.....they are good enough to do it player wise but the issue is mental - you need a bit of luck too.
Play Offs on 10:47 - May 17 with 9055 viewsRs_Holy

Play Offs on 10:34 - May 17 by WatfordR

Think I'm right in saying Brentford have never won a play off final?

yep they hold the record for the most failed attempts in the playoffs.... the law of averages says at some point they will win a final... and it will almost certainly be this year :(
Login to get fewer ads

Play Offs on 10:59 - May 17 with 8995 viewsBostonR

Really tight for them against Bournemouth.

So hard to call, given I think both teams are evenly matched. Brentford rely on Toney so much, so he has to get on the score-sheet. Over both games, I think Bournemouth will just nick it.
Play Offs on 11:03 - May 17 with 8976 viewsswitchingcode

Play Offs on 10:37 - May 17 by gazza1

The only downside if the Bees get promoted......wont be able to visit the new stadium next season.

They have failed most times because of the pressures of getting promoted to the world's best league, the Premiership.....they are good enough to do it player wise but the issue is mental - you need a bit of luck too.

The word bottle is used against us but think it’s more to the point of not being good enough.I’ve been at all but one (last year )finals and we were out played in every one and can’t even say we were unlucky.To be honest I’ve been quite relaxed about these upcoming games convincing myself the PL would be a disaster for a club like ours but after seeing Leicester celebrations Saturday my stomach has been turning over ever since.
Play Offs on 11:24 - May 17 with 8912 viewsrsonist

Play Offs on 10:25 - May 17 by GloryHunter

Wall Street Journal analysis of Barnsley:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/barnsley-championship-promotion-moneyball-billy-bea

I'm not one for discrediting analytics but it's hard to resist poking fun when it all gets boiled down to TWO TOP SECRET ALGORITHMS.
Play Offs on 11:25 - May 17 with 8907 viewsstevec

Now or never I suspect.
Play Offs on 11:29 - May 17 with 8894 viewsed_83

Have to be favourites given current form and their experience of going through the process last year. Bournemouth will be tough, but I reckon Brentford will do it.

Honestly, I'd be made up for them if they do. I'm only in my 30s so don't remember the really bitter years, they've been a superbly run club for years, and fully deserve a crack at the Premier League. Hopefully they go up this season, we follow them very soon (by using exactly the same template for how we operate as a club), and then we thrash them at their new stadium in the PL.
Play Offs on 11:33 - May 17 with 8868 viewshoopsmark

Play Offs on 10:59 - May 17 by BostonR

So hard to call, given I think both teams are evenly matched. Brentford rely on Toney so much, so he has to get on the score-sheet. Over both games, I think Bournemouth will just nick it.

First post to mention Bournemouth Boston,ignore them at your peril....i also think they will do it over the two games......but what do i know eh.....
[Post edited 17 May 2021 11:33]
Play Offs on 11:58 - May 17 with 8751 viewsRs_Holy

Play Offs on 11:29 - May 17 by ed_83

Have to be favourites given current form and their experience of going through the process last year. Bournemouth will be tough, but I reckon Brentford will do it.

Honestly, I'd be made up for them if they do. I'm only in my 30s so don't remember the really bitter years, they've been a superbly run club for years, and fully deserve a crack at the Premier League. Hopefully they go up this season, we follow them very soon (by using exactly the same template for how we operate as a club), and then we thrash them at their new stadium in the PL.

yep ... if they don't go up this season they will only be better next (having sold their best players in the summer).
Play Offs on 12:17 - May 17 with 8634 viewsnix

Play Offs on 11:03 - May 17 by switchingcode

The word bottle is used against us but think it’s more to the point of not being good enough.I’ve been at all but one (last year )finals and we were out played in every one and can’t even say we were unlucky.To be honest I’ve been quite relaxed about these upcoming games convincing myself the PL would be a disaster for a club like ours but after seeing Leicester celebrations Saturday my stomach has been turning over ever since.

Is it not good enough or not on form at the vital time? Elite sport is often about reaching your peak at the vital moment and Brentford's form certainly fell away from where it had been earlier in the season. Not sure what that's about with Brentford. Does Franke overplay players? Is he not so good at supporting them to be resilient when they're going through rougher patches? I don't know the answer to those questions but I think you had the quality to go up last season, certainly in comparison to Fulham or West Brom. With Bournemouth, I also think it depends on whether they play to their potential. Barnsley we found a really tough team to play against because of the high press, but maybe teams with a bit more guile might find a way round them. I can't see Swansea going up. All in all a very interesting competition.
Play Offs on 12:20 - May 17 with 8633 viewsW7Ranger

I just think it would be ironic/funny if after last Season where Barnsley stayed up with the last kick of the game v Brentford (which ultimately stopped Brentford going up automatically), that Barnsley could beat them in the final to go up to the prem, and stop Brentford going up - 2 years running!

Had Brentford beaten Barnsley on that last day last season, Brentford would've been up and Barnsley down to League 1!

Unbelievable fine margins there!!
Play Offs on 12:40 - May 17 with 8543 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The last time Barnsley were in the Prem they had Gjorgji Hristov and Jan Åge Fjørtoft up front.

'Homesick and apparently unhappy with life in South Yorkshire, Hristov gave an interview to a Belgrade sports magazine in which he complained he was finding it hard to settle at his new club.

He attributed his inability to settle down to the fact he was struggling to get a girlfriend because, as he saw it, erm, the local women of Barnsley were not pretty and drank too much.

“I’m finding it difficult to find a girlfriend in Barnsley, or indeed settle into a decent way of life,” Hristov said. “The local girls are far uglier than the ones back in Belgrade or Skopje, the capital of Macedonia, where I come from.

“Our women are much prettier. Besides, they don’t drink as much beer as the Barnsley girls which is something I don’t like at all.

“England is a strange country and I found it hard to adapt to living here. The main thing is that I am not on my own. To be honest I expected more of Barnsley as a town and a club.”'

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Play Offs on 13:00 - May 17 with 8438 viewsJuzzie

It's so tough to call.

Despite the myth, the team finishing 3rd usually does win it and form going into the play-offs does play a part but something such as the PL being up for grabs (£££££) all sorts of other things come into play. Pressure, expectations etc.
I think the pressure is more on Bournemouth and Swansea though there will also be pressure on Brentford. No pressure on Barnsley (who, ironically, won at Brentford on the last day last season to stay up) so they could sneak through.
Play Offs on 13:06 - May 17 with 8411 viewsjoe90

What really irritates me is when people refer to clubs as being 'proper football clubs' (whatever that means) or 'a big club' (as was the case with Leeds) as though those points alone are the only reason why a club should be promoted/win. Some fans really buy into this and it breeds an obnoxious sense of entitlement. The media love these tired cliche's as it means they can write condescending articles and the 'neutrals' who support a big club they've never seen play live can say how they would like to see said club in the EPL as though their views carry some significance.

I'd like to see Barnsley go up because they've made a massive turnaround from last season, plus I thought they played well when they beat us. Also, it shows how open the league is. We've seen Sheffield United in the space of 3 seasons go from league 1 to the Premiership which is a great achievement. I know some think the Championship standard is poor, but I disagree, it's much better than it's given credit for. Brentford have made huge achievements despite not being promoted the past few seasons, for a club like ours it should give us hope. So much attention is given to getting promoted that it overshadows the achievements of some of the clubs have made.
Play Offs on 13:06 - May 17 with 8402 viewsthemodfather

forget form, the play offs are cup ties, and can change in seconds, one bad call one fluke one mistake and it's over...ask keogh!! of course as the bees are rivals with no fans, i do not want them up and will be hoping t'barnsley do it. come on tykes!
Play Offs on 13:11 - May 17 with 8371 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Play Offs on 13:06 - May 17 by joe90

What really irritates me is when people refer to clubs as being 'proper football clubs' (whatever that means) or 'a big club' (as was the case with Leeds) as though those points alone are the only reason why a club should be promoted/win. Some fans really buy into this and it breeds an obnoxious sense of entitlement. The media love these tired cliche's as it means they can write condescending articles and the 'neutrals' who support a big club they've never seen play live can say how they would like to see said club in the EPL as though their views carry some significance.

I'd like to see Barnsley go up because they've made a massive turnaround from last season, plus I thought they played well when they beat us. Also, it shows how open the league is. We've seen Sheffield United in the space of 3 seasons go from league 1 to the Premiership which is a great achievement. I know some think the Championship standard is poor, but I disagree, it's much better than it's given credit for. Brentford have made huge achievements despite not being promoted the past few seasons, for a club like ours it should give us hope. So much attention is given to getting promoted that it overshadows the achievements of some of the clubs have made.

"What really irritates me is when people refer to clubs as being 'proper football clubs' (whatever that means) or 'a big club' (as was the case with Leeds) as though those points alone are the only reason why a club should be promoted/win. Some fans really buy into this and it breeds an obnoxious sense of entitlement. The media love these tired cliche's as it means they can write condescending articles and the 'neutrals' who support a big club they've never seen play live can say how they would like to see said club in the EPL as though their views carry some significance."

Very true. Also, if a big club gets promoted they're said to be "back where they belong". As if years of mediocrity and failure didn't mean they belonged in the lower division all long.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Play Offs on 13:27 - May 17 with 8288 viewsrsonist

Play Offs on 10:59 - May 17 by BostonR

They've given Toney more support in recent weeks with Forss alongside and Fosu in the hole. Seems to have done the trick.
Play Offs on 13:40 - May 17 with 8210 viewsswitchingcode

Play Offs on 12:17 - May 17 by nix

Is it not good enough or not on form at the vital time? Elite sport is often about reaching your peak at the vital moment and Brentford's form certainly fell away from where it had been earlier in the season. Not sure what that's about with Brentford. Does Franke overplay players? Is he not so good at supporting them to be resilient when they're going through rougher patches? I don't know the answer to those questions but I think you had the quality to go up last season, certainly in comparison to Fulham or West Brom. With Bournemouth, I also think it depends on whether they play to their potential. Barnsley we found a really tough team to play against because of the high press, but maybe teams with a bit more guile might find a way round them. I can't see Swansea going up. All in all a very interesting competition.

The leagues and our team is not as good as last year but Toney has more than replaced the void left by Watkins but injuries to Norguaard Henry and Dasilva during the season and not having quality replacements has left us short of the top 2.Can’t complain as other clubs like Bristol Blackburn Huddersfield to name a few have had horrendous injury lists.In answer to your question re Franke overplaying players I think most clubs have had the same problem due to this ridiculous schedule this season and not surprisingly most teams had losing and winning runs you are a good example.
Play Offs on 16:01 - May 17 with 8041 viewsnix

Play Offs on 13:40 - May 17 by switchingcode

The leagues and our team is not as good as last year but Toney has more than replaced the void left by Watkins but injuries to Norguaard Henry and Dasilva during the season and not having quality replacements has left us short of the top 2.Can’t complain as other clubs like Bristol Blackburn Huddersfield to name a few have had horrendous injury lists.In answer to your question re Franke overplaying players I think most clubs have had the same problem due to this ridiculous schedule this season and not surprisingly most teams had losing and winning runs you are a good example.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, I was really talking about last season and why you fell away with an arguably better team than this season. Yeah, this season's a bit of an anomaly.

Our running and losing runs make sense to me as we were practically a scratch team this season with a lot of inexperienced players in the Championship, combined with almost no time on the training pitch to gel the team together. Then we had more time around Christmas to change the formation, practise on the training pitch, plus bring in more experience, plus the team started to gel.

But I didn't know you'd lost some of your best players this season to injury, so that makes sense why you're not right at the top, but if they're back, surely you have as good a chance as any of the other teams?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024