Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lyndon Dykes 07:10 - Aug 29 with 28296 viewsdmm

It's been mentioned a few times but I do hope Dykes game changing cameo and goal yesterday finally silences his remaining critics.

Yes, he came on late and played against a tiring opposition, but his goal - 3rd of the season - showed great skill and owed nothing to Coventry's tired defence.

He may not be the complete goal scoring striker, but what he has got is plenty good enough for us.
Lyndon Dykes on 22:07 - Sep 7 with 2783 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Lyndon Dykes on 21:58 - Sep 7 by Northernr

Back -to-goal strikers would be a good thread.
Helguson takes some beating.
Furlong perhaps?
Post-injury Gallen.

Polter? I seem to remember he had a good first touch but passing and shooting a bit loose.

P-iG for me on first thoughts. Romantic? ME! Will research more.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Lyndon Dykes on 22:13 - Sep 7 with 2711 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Furlong perhaps?
Post-injury Gallen.

Youth-Team Gallen was also excellent as a back-to-goal striker.

He always had that drop, lay-off and belt into the box move that Rangers taught Ferdinand, Bradley Allen, Penrice, White, Iorfa et al before Gallen arrived on the scene pre-taught by the same coaching school.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Lyndon Dykes on 22:17 - Sep 7 with 2677 viewsGloryHunter

Lyndon Dykes on 21:55 - Sep 7 by Northernr

Be nice if Scotland could send him back in one piece every now and again.

Could be worse. He could have done his ankle playing for Australia in Vietnam.
Lyndon Dykes on 22:24 - Sep 7 with 2617 viewsqueensparker

Another shout for Gallen as a back to goal striker, he was excellent at it. Sir Les obviously the guru.
Lyndon Dykes on 22:25 - Sep 7 with 2614 viewsNorthernr

Lyndon Dykes on 22:04 - Sep 7 by CiderwithRsie

Got to bear in mind that even if he'd not been injured I can't imagine he'd start on Saturday anyway, having played the whole of the 2nd half v Denmark and started the next two games (85 mins v Moldova, 60 mins before getting injured off v Austria), plus two international return flights and best part of another back from Scotland to London.

So you'd expect him to get at least a week off up to the Bournemouth game anyway with Charlie starting and Gray on the bench v Reading. Let's hope it's a bit of a twisted ankle and he's fine by then.

I wonder if we might see each of the three taking a turn as the starter in the three games this week?

Illy is back from his adventures too, landed today looking tuckered out (source - Insta) :-D
Lyndon Dykes on 22:34 - Sep 7 with 2533 viewsdaveB

Furlong perhaps?
Post-injury Gallen.

Gallen and Helguson the best two I've seen other than Ferdinand

Zamora in that premier league season was very good at times with his back to goal and Austin playing off him
Lyndon Dykes on 22:36 - Sep 7 with 2516 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Lyndon Dykes on 22:24 - Sep 7 by queensparker

Another shout for Gallen as a back to goal striker, he was excellent at it. Sir Les obviously the guru.

No, to be fair, he had it at youth level. Maybe even before Cross worked with him.

Lyndon Dykes on 23:39 - Sep 7 with 2302 viewstimcocking

Anybody saying Dykes is really good hasn’t a clue about playing football.
Login to get fewer ads

Lyndon Dykes on 23:46 - Sep 7 with 2295 viewshoops_legend

Lyndon Dykes on 22:34 - Sep 7 by daveB

Gallen and Helguson the best two I've seen other than Ferdinand

Zamora in that premier league season was very good at times with his back to goal and Austin playing off him

Zamora aside from the play off goal was terrible for us I'm afraid
Lyndon Dykes on 00:21 - Sep 8 with 2241 viewsjohncharles

Yeah, he’s just scored the only goal tonight and has probably put Scotland through.
Who needs him 🙄
Bobby Zamora, what’s he ever done for us ?
[Post edited 8 Sep 2021 0:24]

Strong and stable my arse.

Lyndon Dykes on 02:04 - Sep 8 with 2071 viewsFerdy

Lyndon Dykes on 23:46 - Sep 7 by hoops_legend

Zamora aside from the play off goal was terrible for us I'm afraid

You're wrong. Zamora was brilliant for a while for us in the prem. Best I've seen at holding the ball up and bullying defenders, other than Les.
Lyndon Dykes on 06:06 - Sep 8 with 1917 viewscyprusmel

Furlong perhaps?
Post-injury Gallen.

Helguson gets my vote with Sir Les a close second, Kevin G not too shabby either.
Stepping back in time probably Bernard Evans.
Lyndon Dykes on 06:45 - Sep 8 with 1869 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Lyndon Dykes on 23:39 - Sep 7 by timcocking

Steve Clarke, Mark Warburton, and Charlie Austin included?
Lyndon Dykes on 07:16 - Sep 8 with 1820 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Furlong perhaps?
Post-injury Gallen.

Taraabt underated at this too.

Massive arse used to back into whoever he wanted then his quick feet made it difficult to keep up with his turn or lay off.

Remember Clint Hill or someone similar mentioning it on a podcast.
Lyndon Dykes on 08:19 - Sep 8 with 1657 viewsgazza1

Correct......
Lyndon Dykes on 08:31 - Sep 8 with 1605 viewswombat

Lyndon Dykes on 07:16 - Sep 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

Taraabt underated at this too.

Massive arse used to back into whoever he wanted then his quick feet made it difficult to keep up with his turn or lay off.

Remember Clint Hill or someone similar mentioning it on a podcast.

chelsea away tarrabt was excellent in the false striker role , prob his best all round game for us that night

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Lyndon Dykes on 08:50 - Sep 8 with 1543 viewsdanehoop

Lyndon Dykes on 08:19 - Sep 8 by gazza1

Correct......

As others has said, those who appear to actually know about football appear to think otherwise. Equally his stats would also appear to support that.

He is a player who is massively improving week after week for us. He is now getting the opportunity to test himself at international level against new and better opponents playing in different formations/styles to what he is used to and holding his own. He will be even better for the experience as he continues to develop.

But hey, it's a game of opinions and you clearly have yours.

Never knowingly understood

Lyndon Dykes on 09:04 - Sep 8 with 1501 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 08:19 - Sep 8 by gazza1

Correct......

Thought his cut-back to McGinn last night was 1st class, went outside his man, was playing with his head-up and played Mcginn in for what should have been game-over, won so many headers too, never let the Austria defence settle into the game, movement + positioning improving all the time, great work in progress.
Lyndon Dykes on 09:18 - Sep 8 with 1467 viewsfrancisbowles

As the op dmm said:

'He may not be the complete goal scoring striker, but what he has got is plenty good enough for us.'

It's the difference between spending between £1&2 million pounds and £XXXX million. He has a lot of talent, is gaining confidence with experience and is continually improving. He is inconsistent, has a lot of rough edges but is definitely up to Championship standard with his recent scoring record and his aerial ability.
Lyndon Dykes on 09:20 - Sep 8 with 1465 viewsBlue_Castello

Lyndon Dykes on 08:50 - Sep 8 by danehoop

As others has said, those who appear to actually know about football appear to think otherwise. Equally his stats would also appear to support that.

He is a player who is massively improving week after week for us. He is now getting the opportunity to test himself at international level against new and better opponents playing in different formations/styles to what he is used to and holding his own. He will be even better for the experience as he continues to develop.

But hey, it's a game of opinions and you clearly have yours.

Agreed it's strange how some people are not prepared to give players time to improve and from what I've seen so far Dykes has improved from when he first arrived. The major change was getting Austin on loan to not only play alongside him, coach him in all aspects of the striker role so he can play as a lone striker when required, it may not be Charlie's role to be a coach but I'm pretty certain that would have happened on the training ground.
Dykes looked an improved player from January onwards, he has become a good target man, something that Charlie isn't he has other attributes which benefit the team. Surely anybody can see he has improved and become an important team member, the goals he has scored this season have been good, the difference he made when he came on against Coventry won us the game.
But hey it's a game of opinions........
Lyndon Dykes on 10:28 - Sep 8 with 1320 viewsTacticalR

It would seem Dykes is a player people find very difficult to understand.

Air hostess clique

Lyndon Dykes on 10:33 - Sep 8 with 1300 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Lyndon Dykes on 10:28 - Sep 8 by TacticalR

It would seem Dykes is a player people find very difficult to understand.

It's the Scotstralian accent.

Lyndon Dykes on 10:53 - Sep 8 with 1246 viewsW7Ranger

It appears we have the odd stubborn fan on here. Never prepared to change their opinion of a player (who has clearly massively improved) or admit that they might actualy be wrong. Not just about Dykes either.
Lyndon Dykes on 11:36 - Sep 8 with 1177 viewsswisscottage

Lyndon Dykes on 10:53 - Sep 8 by W7Ranger

It appears we have the odd stubborn fan on here. Never prepared to change their opinion of a player (who has clearly massively improved) or admit that they might actualy be wrong. Not just about Dykes either.

You know what you're getting with Gazza .. consistent to a fault ;)
Lyndon Dykes on 11:49 - Sep 8 with 1138 viewsgazza1

Lyndon Dykes on 11:36 - Sep 8 by swisscottage

You know what you're getting with Gazza .. consistent to a fault ;)

Sadly, Dykes is a pretty average player and far from being very good....sadly, some posters cannot see that. He has got a lot of limitations indeed. Sure, he has improved but is, arguably, 3rd choice striker now.

Done well against Coventry though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024