Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts 22:12 - Sep 24 with 5114 viewsBrianMcCarthy

This was always going to be one of the toughest away games. Ismael-Ball with quality players was always going to be a huge challenge for a developing team like ours that thrives on possession.

It was interesting how we changed our kick-out strategy. It worked.

I thought that we missed Wallace hugely tonight: his experience and leadership would have been great but also we would have had Barbet back at LCB covering behind the other two centre-backs.

Jo-Jo was poor tonight, and as an International Captain he might have been the player we would have expected to pass quick, often and to beat the press. Bad timing.

Kudos to the management for starting Gray. Worked a treat.

Finally, we worked hard. Very hard. But we're a way off yet. I fully expect us to develop over the season.

We'll be close.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Thoughts on 23:52 - Sep 24 with 1850 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thoughts on 23:27 - Sep 24 by NorthantsHoop

We are still a work in progress, to be honest we have only lost narrowly to Bournemouth and West Brom, although our failure to close out games and commit errors is frustrating. We still need to get those home wins going only one so far, and the next two are key to see if we pick ourselves up from tonight.
I keep it all in perspective we beat a premier team on Tuesday book ourselves into a plum 4th round cup tie, we lose narrowly tonight against a team that cost millions and is fancied to go straight back up to the Premier league.

Agree with most of that. It was a one-off fascinating tactical challenge, and I thought we won the challenge for most of the game.

I can't wait to watch the game again - was it wise to double down on bypassing midfield, and did it work?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Thoughts on 23:53 - Sep 24 with 1849 viewstraininvain

Thoughts on 22:33 - Sep 24 by BklynRanger

- 3 games in 6 days
- 26 shots against Brizzle. Most people thought we were great and unlucky to loose.
- Heroic win against Everton - sublime night to remember.
- 15 mins away from a great, ugly, exhausted away win tonight.

The main thing at this moment is to not over react, over analyse, over pontificate (no chance sadly).

Best post I’ve seen on here tonight. A good bit of perspective.
Thoughts on 00:01 - Sep 25 with 1812 viewsqprxtc

The better team won. We were ok but beyond the first minute we didn’t create much.

Had we held on it would have been a professional performance but we didn’t do it showed up our weaknesses and goal scoring is an issue.

As it stands, we aren’t going up. But we most definitely are not going down. That is progress?

This is Pop.
Thoughts on 00:44 - Sep 25 with 1712 viewsParkRoyalR

Without McCallum (or Wallace) we lost Barbet's passing out from the back + McCallum's energy to get up the pitch.

Warburton's hand was forced on subs with De Wijs + SJ injuries as wasn't expecting to see Kakay and if he could have brought Adomah on for Gray I think we would have seen that game out as Moses needed cover on the right as was AWOL for 1st (and 2nd?) and Albert would have helped him sit back + protect his flank.

Different gameplay tonight but my personal preference would have been to start Dykes over Gray as feel brings Willock + Chair into the game more possession wise.

So many key players looked jaded tonight, however they dug in and deserved a point - Dunne was our MOTM - away support was superb.
Thoughts on 07:36 - Sep 25 with 1557 viewsdmm

I am bitterly disappointed. Whatever you think of our style, we had done enough in the game to have earned a point if not all three. To lose late in the game yet again is crushing. If I feel like that, goodness knows what the players and staff feel.

I've heard MW's post-match interview and read people's analysis on here but I still don't really understand what the problem is. Maybe it's a number of things. Maybe we are not quite good enough. Maybe it's 'just football'. But something is missing and needs to be put right if we are to challenge for a top six finish.
Thoughts on 07:57 - Sep 25 with 1529 viewsCamberleyR

My thoughts are that:

Although we weren't creating much, we were coping fairly comfortably and they were starting to run out of ideas until Dieng threw one in for them which suddenly gave them a shot of adrenaline and woke their until then silent support up.

It looks like our relative good luck with injuries last season has finally caught up with us now. If Johansen hasn't done his hamstring, I'll be delighted but absolutely amazed, the way he was walking off. De Wijs as well, unless that was a precautionary sub is possibly also out.

Thank God we don't have to watch West Brom's 'football' every week.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Thoughts on 08:20 - Sep 25 with 1478 viewsstevec

The right back/right wing back, whatever you call it, is killing us. Every goal lately coming through that side, irrespective of which of the two are playing. Worst part with all the goals recently is the RB is not even in position.

Thought the back three played well under a seige of crosses, Barbet was largely left alone with rich pickings down our other side. This has to be sorted or any half decent side will take us.

I’m guessing even non physical sides will be adapting to be physical against us. Every Barnsley that turns up takes the points.
Thoughts on 08:35 - Sep 25 with 1455 viewsBostonR

We gifted them 3pts due to basic and stupid mistakes-they have to be cut out immediately. Pretty obvious, that you cannot keep conceding two goals a game and have ambitions of the play-offs - that has to be sorted immediately.
What struck me was how solid the defence is when Jordy plays. He is a beast and gives no-quarter. Once he was off we lost that shield. We are going to have to keep him on the pitch as is key to how well we do this season.
Frustrating, but better to have an early wobble and we know this team can go on unbeaten runs.
Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts on 09:08 - Sep 25 with 1398 viewsdmm

Thoughts on 08:20 - Sep 25 by stevec

The right back/right wing back, whatever you call it, is killing us. Every goal lately coming through that side, irrespective of which of the two are playing. Worst part with all the goals recently is the RB is not even in position.

Thought the back three played well under a seige of crosses, Barbet was largely left alone with rich pickings down our other side. This has to be sorted or any half decent side will take us.

I’m guessing even non physical sides will be adapting to be physical against us. Every Barnsley that turns up takes the points.

Whereas I think you have a valid point, you are overstating the RB/RWB problem.

In matches this month goals against have indeed come more from the right hand side than the left.

However, errors were made in all parts of the pitch in the build up all goals conceded, and only some of the goals from the right were scored through mistakes made by the RB/RWB.

Whatever the problem is, there's more to it than putting all the blame on the RB/RWBs.
Thoughts on 09:10 - Sep 25 with 1384 viewsBAWHoops

I was hugely disappointed with the performance. I thought we were poor. Didn’t create much whatsoever and hardly pressured WBA.
I know why we played long but we were awful at doing it.

Like us in the promotion season under Redknapp, WBA just threw enough money on the pitch until they won.

What’s becoming obvious is that we seem to be a top 10 side that could sneak play offs. But realistically we aren’t good enough to go up so I’d rather just enjoy watching us (which I didn’t tonight). It felt like an old QPR sky performance where we do very little and lose as opposed to Warbsball where we play lovely football regardless.

Injuries biting as well now, which is a shame.

But if the football is good and we stay wel clear of relegation I’m happy

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Thoughts on 09:34 - Sep 25 with 1318 viewsloftus77

Thoughts on 09:10 - Sep 25 by BAWHoops

I was hugely disappointed with the performance. I thought we were poor. Didn’t create much whatsoever and hardly pressured WBA.

Like us in the promotion season under Redknapp, WBA just threw enough money on the pitch until they won.

What’s becoming obvious is that we seem to be a top 10 side that could sneak play offs. But realistically we aren’t good enough to go up so I’d rather just enjoy watching us (which I didn’t tonight). It felt like an old QPR sky performance where we do very little and lose as opposed to Warbsball where we play lovely football regardless.

Good analysis IMHO and I think your second para is the most telling.

We can say it was disappointing, tactics were wrong, subs ill-timed etc. but (for me) the big picture is all (ALL) about parachute payments - the elephant in the room.

West Brom, Fulham and Bournemouth are not (repeat NOT..) Championship sides - they are 'sub-Premier League' clubs in every way. If you analyse the financial landscape, the gap between 'sub-Premier League' clubs and Championship clubs is ludicrous and grotesque - just as it was in 2013-14 when we were the other side of the line (looking back, what a horrible season that was - apart from a certain 5 mins).

In May 2022, any two of Fulham, WBA and Bournemouth will be promoted automatically and the third will contest the play-off lottery with massive financial advantage. The 3 will then be replaced by Norwich, Watford, Burnley - their fellow sub-Premier League clubs. And repeat. Not exactly earth-shattering predictions.

Last Tuesday we defeated Premier League opposition, last night we lost narrowly to sub-Premier League adversaries. Back to the real Championship on Tuesday.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 11:25]
Thoughts on 09:52 - Sep 25 with 1299 viewsEastR

Thoughts on 09:10 - Sep 25 by BAWHoops

completely agree with this

I didn't recognise us from that performance. I get that you have to adapt, but that game plan just didn't suit us over 90 mins. We've played well and lost in other games, unluckily against Bournemouth and Bristol, but we played to our strengths, not the oppositions.
I don't think scoring early helped us and we never looked like we would capitalise on it. Lets face it, we're not a team that's going to win 1-0 too often.

Disappointed with the last few league results, but there's a lot to like about the club and the team at the moment and we'll get back to winning ways soon

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Thoughts on 10:40 - Sep 25 with 1239 viewsJogo

We haven't been trashed or outplayed by anyone this season and until we are I still think we'll be in the mix at the end of the season. Penalty shootout in the playoff final anyone?
Thoughts on 10:53 - Sep 25 with 1214 viewsPlanetHonneywood

We’re a good side; beaten by a better one.

We will be in the van come May but we need to get a better conversion rate of the many chances we make in games. If we’re going with one up top, then learning to play with Andre as opposed to Dukes and Austin is the way. He’s clearly crying for the ball to run on to and not hoofed to him.

All-in-all, we’re ok and we will be ok. I still think the POs are more than possible.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Thoughts on 10:53 - Sep 25 with 1213 viewsfrancisbowles

Thoughts on 23:39 - Sep 24 by stainrods_elbow

This! In my book, we beat ourselves tonight, both in completely junking our approach (which was good enough to outplay 5th in the Prem Everton for periods) and then through a lack of bravery, gumption, care and energy on the pitch. Both players and management really dipped in my estimation tonight, and it's a big shame.

How many times do we have to lose to a team that plays such a high press before we try something different?

Granted, it wasn't executed very well, probably had very little time to practice it but we very nearly got away with a result.

Had we played our usual style we could have got trounced, as we did by Barnsley last season and the one before. The posts on here would be about naivety, lack of a plan B etc. and a thumping would have hurt the confidence even more than this late defeat.

He was correct to try Gray up front as well against a team that defends on the half way line. He is the only one of our forwards to be able to get in behind and not get caught. Unfortunately, he couldn't build on his great start.
Thoughts on 11:21 - Sep 25 with 1143 viewsGaryT

"completely agree with this

I didn't recognise us from that performance. I get that you have to adapt, but that game plan just didn't suit us over 90 mins. We've played well and lost in other games, unluckily against Bournemouth and Bristol, but we played to our strengths, not the oppositions.
I don't think scoring early helped us and we never looked like we would capitalise on it. Lets face it, we're not a team that's going to win 1-0 too often.

Disappointed with the last few league results, but there's a lot to like about the club and the team at the moment and we'll get back to winning ways soon"

Agree with this EastR and BAW that you were replying to.

Warbs knew what he was up against and didn't want a repeat of Barnsley so decided to mix it up with a bit of long ball. The problem is, the players don't play like that and it showed but we nearly got away with it. So now we know we need a plan C, we move on.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 11:23]
Thoughts on 11:30 - Sep 25 with 1110 viewsGuppy

Thoughts on 22:33 - Sep 24 by BklynRanger

- 3 games in 6 days
- 26 shots against Brizzle. Most people thought we were great and unlucky to loose.
- Heroic win against Everton - sublime night to remember.
- 15 mins away from a great, ugly, exhausted away win tonight.

The main thing at this moment is to not over react, over analyse, over pontificate (no chance sadly).

Simple algebra
goals in last 10 minutes for Rangers = jubilation for us and devastation for opposition
goals in last ten minutes for opposition = jubilation for them and devastation for us
season is marathon etc........
Thoughts on 11:35 - Sep 25 with 1096 viewsbongo_king

Interesting thread, agree with a lot.

Personally I think Warbuton got it spot on except for one key decision - Dykes for Willock. Game needed Dykes but in hindsight for Gray, not Willock - that sub indirectly lead to their winner. With no Willock or Jojo on the pitch by then WBA knew the main threat was Chair and he was basically doubled/tripled up on, including when he lost the ball for the goal.

While I understand the argument of how we should impose our style, I think we would have got hammered if we had. 2 heavy Ishmael defeats last season and a poor showing from Johansen last night (the player who most tried to slow the game down yesterday and was constantly in trouble as a result) are why I think this. Nonetheless there were calmer periods where we did try to move it around, and these were well timed in the context of the game.

RE WBA/Ishmael, fascinating to watch once in a while, couldn't do it week in week out. Interesting how he's trying to engineer the game in every way. From making the pitch incredibly small with an intense pace of football, through to the dirtier aspects such as pulling defenders down when attacking (something which rarely gets harsh punishment, unlike the other way round - I think it was a deliberate thing as it happened several times). Also taking most throw ins/free kicks quickly and 10-20 ahead of where the ball went out/foul before the ref even switches on (though he wised up to it 2nd half). OK it's rule bending, but pretty smart rule bending.
Thoughts on 11:57 - Sep 25 with 1066 viewsBazzeR

Before the season started most supporters and pundits classified us this season as dark horses for promotion…has anything changed ?
Thoughts on 14:26 - Sep 25 with 934 viewsPinnerPaul

Thoughts on 22:48 - Sep 24 by Padulas_Shampoo

Feel a bit for Dieng.

Chair giving the ball away cheaply - almost by election - with only three defenders deeper than him just about sums us up at the moment. Lots of huffing and puffing. Lots of really great football. Long periods of being the better team… all undone by one moment of stupidity.

It’s so frustrating. But it’s happening too often for us to feel sorry for ourselves. I really, really like this team but I’m afraid it’s showing itself to be incredibly naive.

Our goal was down to some stupidity by the oppo GK, wouldn't call Seny's 'stupid', but whatever adjectives we use, they're just errors, happen to all.
Thoughts on 19:33 - Sep 25 with 835 viewsderbyhoop

Don't underestimate the effects of Tuesday night. A lot of players struggle to cope with Sat-Tues-Fri schedule.
We've narrowly lost to 2 teams that are expected to be in the top 3 or 4. We got done by Bristol City after battering them for 90 minutes. We haven't become a bad side but we aren't a top 3 side either.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Thoughts on 19:56 - Sep 27 with 622 viewsfrancisbowles

Thoughts on 14:26 - Sep 25 by PinnerPaul

Our goal was down to some stupidity by the oppo GK, wouldn't call Seny's 'stupid', but whatever adjectives we use, they're just errors, happen to all.

To a degree the other goalkeeper had to be way off his line, as their back three was on the half way line. His main mistake was starting to come out and then going back. One of their defenders was asleep and Gray for once beat the offside trap.
Thoughts on 13:19 - Sep 28 with 528 viewsPinnerPaul

Thoughts on 19:56 - Sep 27 by francisbowles

To a degree the other goalkeeper had to be way off his line, as their back three was on the half way line. His main mistake was starting to come out and then going back. One of their defenders was asleep and Gray for once beat the offside trap.

Its all opinions isn't, committed way too early I thought.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024