Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? 18:42 - Nov 14 with 9385 viewsJogo

As a frequent peruser of the BBC website football page, I can't help but notice the copious amounts of reports on women's football. Sometimes taking the up the top story. My question is, is this the BBC going OTT on political correctness or does anyone on here actually care enough about women's football to warrant the coverage?

Personally, I've only seen bits and pieces of games and frankly it's like watching Sunday parks football.

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 19:21 - Nov 14 with 5834 viewsstowmarketrange

I enjoy watching women’s football on tv and going to games involving both my daughter and granddaughter,mainly because it is played in a better spirit than your average men’s or boys games.
The standard isn’t as good as the men’s game,but they are doing the best they can do,without the diving and rolling around feigning injury that mostly spoils men’s football.
I do agree that the bbc do go a bit ott in their coverage sometimes,but my only real gripe is that those barstewards from SW6 seem to be good at it.

Some people on here occasionally go to non league matches,but they know the quality of the players won’t be as good as they’ll see in the premier league,but they accept it for what it is.I do the same when I watch a women’s or girls game.It is what it is.
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 20:01 - Nov 14 with 5727 viewskensalriser

What's the connection between women's football and 'political correctness'?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 20:04 - Nov 14 with 5717 viewsterryb

Are you going to have a go at Sky for their live coverage? Or is this another attack on the BBC?

The improvement in the women's game is immense & mainly due to media coverage. I would sugest that the same applies to all sports, but cricket in particular.
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 20:17 - Nov 14 with 5695 viewsJogo

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 20:01 - Nov 14 by kensalriser

What's the connection between women's football and 'political correctness'?

The fact that they're pushing coverage for what is a minority sport, much in the same vain that they have been pushing for women pundits. They wouldn't dream of having an experienced player who spent his entire career in the conference leagues, but an ex Chelsea or Arsenal womans player is acceptable to comment on top flight men's football?
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 21:41 - Nov 14 with 5603 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I don't really think your post is about the viewership of Women's Football, but just in case it is here are some figures that might change you view.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59080578
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 21:55 - Nov 14 with 5560 viewsNorthernr

I think it comes down to what the role of a public service broadcaster is. Why is it there?

It may look and feel forced and a bit 'try hard' when you look at the BBC Sport homepage, but as a public service broadcaster I'd suggest it's exactly what it should be showing and pushing.

When I was in my teens rattling round delivering pizza in my little Corsa it used to absolutely do my fcking head in when BBC radio was dedicating hour after hour after hour of coverage to some poxy Friday night athletics meeting taking place in front of 1,500 mistly free ticketed people in Birmingham, over and above a (in my mind much more important) football game which far more people were interested in. But it's the public service broadcaster's job to provide coverage and support to the things the private sector and commercial broadcasters don't. It doesn't need to prioritise, pay for and show Premier League football, because there are other commercial TV and radio stations that will do that. It does need to carry rugby league commentaries, because nobody else will. TalkSport won't do you three hours of Diamond League athletics from Stockholm, that's the PSB's job.

It's the same reason it should never have had The Voice in the first place, and why it's right that went to ITV. It's not its job as a PSB.
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 22:00 - Nov 14 with 5544 viewsdanehoop

To take a step back though, there is little senior mens football on at the moment, beyond the internationals. There is a lot of womens top level football on. So it is available to cover.

Womans football has started to finally getting coverage and traction in the UK (it has been bigger elsewhere) over the past 5 years, arguably following the success of the English Womens team over the same time.

Larger clubs have started investing into the women's game, generating more interest and encouraging broadcasters and media to cover it.

You can hardly say that there isnt already saturation coverage of the mens game.

Half the population of the UK is female and only a very small portion will have identified with Wayne Rooney in any meaningful way, let alone as relatable.

The game has grown massively at the grassroots level over the past 10 years, so their is interest.

Simple answer for you I guess is don't watch it or read about it if it doesn't interest you. Certainly doesn't feel like something to worry about or immediately jumping to conclusions about bias.

All a bit sad really.

Never knowingly understood

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 22:08 - Nov 14 with 5510 viewsderbyhoop

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 21:55 - Nov 14 by Northernr

I think it comes down to what the role of a public service broadcaster is. Why is it there?

It may look and feel forced and a bit 'try hard' when you look at the BBC Sport homepage, but as a public service broadcaster I'd suggest it's exactly what it should be showing and pushing.

When I was in my teens rattling round delivering pizza in my little Corsa it used to absolutely do my fcking head in when BBC radio was dedicating hour after hour after hour of coverage to some poxy Friday night athletics meeting taking place in front of 1,500 mistly free ticketed people in Birmingham, over and above a (in my mind much more important) football game which far more people were interested in. But it's the public service broadcaster's job to provide coverage and support to the things the private sector and commercial broadcasters don't. It doesn't need to prioritise, pay for and show Premier League football, because there are other commercial TV and radio stations that will do that. It does need to carry rugby league commentaries, because nobody else will. TalkSport won't do you three hours of Diamond League athletics from Stockholm, that's the PSB's job.

It's the same reason it should never have had The Voice in the first place, and why it's right that went to ITV. It's not its job as a PSB.

There's also an element of what BBC Sport has the resources to cover.

England men's football NO
Cricket NO
England RU Internationals NO
F1 NO

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Login to get fewer ads

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 22:10 - Nov 14 with 5502 viewsmikeygunn

Sort of related. QPR womens team won 11-0 in the FA cup today :)
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 22:15 - Nov 14 with 5488 viewstoboboly

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 21:55 - Nov 14 by Northernr

True, but at the same time you have to actively look for championship, L1 and L2 news and they are far more widely watched. God forbid you want to know about non-league on BBC Sport

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 22:31 - Nov 14 with 5439 viewsNewBee

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 22:08 - Nov 14 by derbyhoop

There's also an element of what BBC Sport has the resources to cover.

England men's football NO
Cricket NO
England RU Internationals NO
F1 NO

This.

If the BBC could afford top level mens football, then they'd be all over it.

But womens' football is affordable (at least for now) when much other sport is out of reach, which is why they focus on it. There is the added bonus that it "ticks the equality box" - and no harm in that imo.

Meanwhile, do those people who complain about the coverage given to top level wonens football also complain about eg the BBCs coverage of the early rounds of the FA Cup, featuring semi-professional teams from the 6th/7th/8th tiers of the mens' game?

This is stuff which would never have got airtime in years gone by.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 22:32]
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 22:52 - Nov 14 with 5406 viewsdavman

The Beeb website is well over the top on women's football. especially its twitter account, which is throwing hundreds of tweets a week out on the subject. It always makes me feel un-PC, but I am genuinely not interested in any way shape of form, especially as it is yet another way to force the agendas of the fcking Big 6 on to a wider audience. Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Man U, Spuds feature heavily. Guess what; they're the best teams because they have the most money - hell of a surprise that one.

If the top teams were not affiliated with those money grabbing, corrupt entities, I might tolerate it more, but they are, so I am not interested. There are some highly technical women players out there, but it all seems so slow and the goalkeepers remain crap.

Good luck to those interested, but, sorry, not for me.

Women's cricket and women's rugby though seem to work well...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 23:39 - Nov 14 with 5344 viewsBoston

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 19:21 - Nov 14 by stowmarketrange

I enjoy watching women’s football on tv and going to games involving both my daughter and granddaughter,mainly because it is played in a better spirit than your average men’s or boys games.
The standard isn’t as good as the men’s game,but they are doing the best they can do,without the diving and rolling around feigning injury that mostly spoils men’s football.
I do agree that the bbc do go a bit ott in their coverage sometimes,but my only real gripe is that those barstewards from SW6 seem to be good at it.

Some people on here occasionally go to non league matches,but they know the quality of the players won’t be as good as they’ll see in the premier league,but they accept it for what it is.I do the same when I watch a women’s or girls game.It is what it is.

Would I be safe in the assumption that you watch female football because there is less bollocks?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 23:53 - Nov 14 with 5325 viewsBoston

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 22:52 - Nov 14 by davman

The Beeb website is well over the top on women's football. especially its twitter account, which is throwing hundreds of tweets a week out on the subject. It always makes me feel un-PC, but I am genuinely not interested in any way shape of form, especially as it is yet another way to force the agendas of the fcking Big 6 on to a wider audience. Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Man U, Spuds feature heavily. Guess what; they're the best teams because they have the most money - hell of a surprise that one.

If the top teams were not affiliated with those money grabbing, corrupt entities, I might tolerate it more, but they are, so I am not interested. There are some highly technical women players out there, but it all seems so slow and the goalkeepers remain crap.

Good luck to those interested, but, sorry, not for me.

Women's cricket and women's rugby though seem to work well...

It doesn't bug me because I rarely read any of the columns, but then again, I rarely read any Premier stuff, or come to that any European Cup guff. But, I will if a team in W12 ascends to those heady heights.

FWIW, the US women's team, undoubtably the best in the whole global world, universe, galaxy and all that maaahn, cannot compete with a third division men's American college team, probably lose to most high school squads...but fair enough on the media coverage, there's far more people interested in their games than Milton v Braintree High.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 23:54]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 10:02 - Nov 15 with 5105 viewsMrSheen

I'm a bit torn on this. As the father of two daughters, I'm totally behind encouraging women's sport (honestly, much more enthusiastic about it than they've ever been). It's also makes sense for the BBC to promote sports to which they have the rights. And yet...

What irritates me is their enthusiasm for the Potemkin Village of the WSL, a loss-leader for Premier League clubs. To draw attention away from the obscene amounts splurged on the men's game, they blow a small additional sum on the women's game. Chelsea's match-day income won't cover even half of the salary of one player, Sam Kerr, but it briefly makes the club look like a beacon of progressive inclusion rather than the exemplar of conspicuous waste funded by corruption. Does their spending encourage girls to take up sport better than investing a fraction of the sum in grass--roots coaching or facilities? Who cares?

Something similar at the BBC? Even getting someone in to introduce Match of the Day costs £2m apparently, so football coverage needs to be sanitised. The BBC only usually cares about the sport played by millions of girls and women across the country for a couple of weeks every four years, but put something in the football wrapper, and it's time to clear the schedules, we can save Match of the Day. The website coverage of Spurs - Arsenal talked about nearly 3,000 fans going wild at The Hive, a tiny little ground, where they had opened one-and-a quarter stands. There were more people at Ipswich on Saturday than in all of the WSL games combined, 12,700 at a National League game, but hey, duh, Spurs and Arsenal, eh? It looks ludicrous and false to me - are others convinced?
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 10:19 - Nov 15 with 5059 viewsAntti_Heinola

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 20:17 - Nov 14 by Jogo

The fact that they're pushing coverage for what is a minority sport, much in the same vain that they have been pushing for women pundits. They wouldn't dream of having an experienced player who spent his entire career in the conference leagues, but an ex Chelsea or Arsenal womans player is acceptable to comment on top flight men's football?

Basically, this is sexist nonsense I'm afraid.

Bare bones.

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 10:24 - Nov 15 with 5045 viewsJogo

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 10:19 - Nov 15 by Antti_Heinola

Basically, this is sexist nonsense I'm afraid.

Are you going to leave it at that? Or would you like to back your statement up?
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 10:35 - Nov 15 with 5017 viewsAntti_Heinola

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 10:24 - Nov 15 by Jogo

Are you going to leave it at that? Or would you like to back your statement up?

nah, think that's enough.

Bare bones.

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 10:48 - Nov 15 with 4967 viewsbosh67

I think there is a reasonable and affordable drive by the BBC to build the profile of women's football. The more coverage, the more resources, the better the standard. The women's game is lightyears better than it was even 5 years ago and it will continue to improve. We need more girls and families following the game in general so I am not sure what the harm or argument is here. Woman's football is getting a much needed boost through TV coverage on terrestrial and unfortunately right now, the men's game has put itself out of reach of broadcasters and many people in general. If the game overall is going to prosper the women's game has to have the chance to grow and it is doing that through TV coverage.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 11:15 - Nov 15 with 4923 viewstidydarts

It's really not hard to do some research on why women's football is "being forced down your throats".

The FA banned women's teams for 50 years from 1921 to 1971 from playing on their grounds, thus making the sport stay where it was as the men's game accelarated. Women's teams were getting massive attendances at the time and the men at the top were threatened.

The FA didn't start funding women's football until 1993, so if you think broadcasters are "forcing it" on you, it may be a case of righting the horrendous imbalance that has been in place in the game.
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 11:35 - Nov 15 with 4887 viewsGloryHunter

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 23:39 - Nov 14 by Boston

Would I be safe in the assumption that you watch female football because there is less bollocks?

. . . fewer . . .
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 11:36 - Nov 15 with 4886 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 11:15 - Nov 15 by tidydarts

It's really not hard to do some research on why women's football is "being forced down your throats".

The FA banned women's teams for 50 years from 1921 to 1971 from playing on their grounds, thus making the sport stay where it was as the men's game accelarated. Women's teams were getting massive attendances at the time and the men at the top were threatened.

The FA didn't start funding women's football until 1993, so if you think broadcasters are "forcing it" on you, it may be a case of righting the horrendous imbalance that has been in place in the game.

Never knew that.

There is an argument as well that coverage has to be pushed if attendances are to follow.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 11:42 - Nov 15 with 4874 viewscollegeranger

Nothing to do with the coverage rights being virtually free!! Also the broadsheet national papers seem to cover the WSL far more than Championship and L1 & L2. Also you dont see the attendances publisshed and when I do happen to stumble across a match the crowds are paltry and I know for a fact local schools get loads of free tickets to try and push the attendance up.
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 11:55 - Nov 15 with 4837 viewstidydarts

Exactly this.

If young girls see women playing football on TV, they'll want to watch it/play it. They're playing a 50 year catchup.
Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 12:38 - Nov 15 with 4764 viewshantssi

Women's Football/ BBC PC Agenda? on 11:36 - Nov 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Never knew that.

There is an argument as well that coverage has to be pushed if attendances are to follow.

Here you go Brian, makes interesting reading.
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/amp/features/womens-football-banned-england-50-years
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024