Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AFCON 10:10 - Nov 28 with 5018 viewsdmm

The AFCON competition from 9 January to 6 February 2022 will see Dieng, Chair and Kakay missing up to 6 league games and 2 FA cup games depending on how far their countries progress. My musings...

Kakay won't be such a big miss and Dieng's place will almost certainly be filled by Archer. But how does Warburton deal with the significant loss of Chair, or should that be Chai-eeeeeerrrr!

Will he opt for a formation change with 2 strikers and Willock behind? Will Thomas and/or Duke -McKenna be asked to stake a claim? Maybe Amos could be given a go there? Or, might a new player be brought in with a view of replacing Chair if we don't make it up and he's off in the summer?
AFCON on 09:41 - Nov 29 with 1824 viewsterryb

I've no idea whether the African Cup of Nations will take place, but I'm confident that our players will be available for the Bournemouth game.

Players are to be released after the Boxing Day fixtures, not on Decenber 27th. This is a Boxing day fixture, just as tonight's game is a weekend fixture.
AFCON on 10:01 - Nov 29 with 1788 viewsbosh67

I would say that if this Omicron Covid thing takes hold that it is very unlikely the tournament will go ahead. Although South African scientists are trying to put over that this is a mild strain, but I can see all foreign travel getting stopped again.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

AFCON on 11:30 - Nov 29 with 1682 viewsbosh67

Of course we could recall Shodipo. He's frustrated at Wednesday but is, when playing, scoring a few goals and setting them up. So a recall could be his last chance saloon here at the ripe old age of 24.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

AFCON on 11:40 - Nov 29 with 1669 viewsRBlock

AFCON on 11:30 - Nov 29 by bosh67

Of course we could recall Shodipo. He's frustrated at Wednesday but is, when playing, scoring a few goals and setting them up. So a recall could be his last chance saloon here at the ripe old age of 24.

I think Shodipo's time here is over to be honest. Out of contract at the end of the season, I don't think there's any chance of a contract extension. I'd sooner see 'our kid' Duke-McKenna given more of a chance, alongside Thomas/Amos/Albert.
AFCON on 12:11 - Nov 29 with 1617 viewsbosh67

AFCON on 11:40 - Nov 29 by RBlock

I think Shodipo's time here is over to be honest. Out of contract at the end of the season, I don't think there's any chance of a contract extension. I'd sooner see 'our kid' Duke-McKenna given more of a chance, alongside Thomas/Amos/Albert.

I know what you mean but he is still only 24. We have taken on the likes of Dykes who is now 26 with the idea of developing him. Shodipo is a curious one. He has bags of pace, lots of ability but his issue is consistency. That may well be his downfall but on the occasions I have seen him play I have definitely thought that there is a BOS type player in there.

Never knowingly right.

AFCON on 12:24 - Nov 29 with 1598 viewskensalriser

AFCON on 12:11 - Nov 29 by bosh67

I know what you mean but he is still only 24. We have taken on the likes of Dykes who is now 26 with the idea of developing him. Shodipo is a curious one. He has bags of pace, lots of ability but his issue is consistency. That may well be his downfall but on the occasions I have seen him play I have definitely thought that there is a BOS type player in there.

Come on man, give it up. It's not happening.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

AFCON on 13:40 - Nov 29 with 1504 viewsLazyFan

AFCON on 12:24 - Nov 29 by kensalriser

Come on man, give it up. It's not happening.

Yeah Shodipo is done.
He's only out on loan so, we don't have to pay his wages.

He will be let go like Smyth, who himself is of course just coming back from injury surprise surprise ... not!

Time for new blood.

zzzzzzzzzz

AFCON on 14:01 - Nov 29 with 1477 viewsPinnerPaul

AFCON on 12:28 - Nov 28 by Northernr

If I had to bet now I'd say they won't be going, but we won't be at the extra QPR games they get to play instead either.

Surely too early to say, as read past the hysterical headlines and its clear its too early to say how transmittable, how resistant to existing vaccines, how severe the symptoms or even if it causes serious illness or death.

Read a SA doctor said she had not had to send one single patient to hospital who she had seen who had the new variant and half her cases were not even vaccinated.

You COULD, of course be spot on, which is what is driving the reaction from governments I guess.
Login to get fewer ads

AFCON on 15:05 - Nov 29 with 1435 viewskensalriser

Financial markets seem to be saying no big deal today.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

AFCON on 07:05 - Dec 9 with 1187 viewsdmm

QPR seek to delay departures of AFCON trio: https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-seek-to-delay-departures-of-afcon-trio

Let's hope Warburton can sweet talk the three national associations.
AFCON on 07:42 - Dec 9 with 1151 viewsozranger

AFCON on 07:05 - Dec 9 by dmm

QPR seek to delay departures of AFCON trio: https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-seek-to-delay-departures-of-afcon-trio

I believe this follows on from some of the Premier League clubs doing the same. I would not be surprised if the whole release will be put back two days so that all those PL clubs that play 26th and then 28th can have all their "stars" for both games and the one game on Monday, like ours, that being Newcastle v Manure can also contain the AFCON players. The whole thing is a joke and shows you so much more that money rules the game more than the game itself - the PL clubs trying to get as much as possible from their players while for us Sky trying to get their pound of flesh. All games should have been played solely on Boxing Day and nothing the days after until the following Saturday or similar.

Anyway, fingers crossed this goes through.
AFCON on 09:57 - Dec 9 with 1036 viewsterryb

On Tuesday night I think the commentators said that Liverpool are hopeful that they don't have to release Salah & Mane until they've played Chelsea on January 2nd(?).

I will be surprised if our trio can't play against Bournemouth, but I would expect that will be their last game for us for a while.
AFCON on 12:35 - Dec 9 with 930 viewsdmm

I think Morocco and Senegal are likely to do well in the competition so Chair and Dieng likely to be away for a longer period of time. Sierra Leone and Kakay not so much.

What remains as yet unknown is the effect of Omicron on the tournament such as players' time in travel quarantine and, of course, increased risk of contracting the virus. There must also be the possibiity AFCON will be called off.
AFCON on 13:08 - Dec 9 with 875 viewsslmrstid

AFCON on 12:35 - Dec 9 by dmm

I think Morocco and Senegal are likely to do well in the competition so Chair and Dieng likely to be away for a longer period of time. Sierra Leone and Kakay not so much.

What remains as yet unknown is the effect of Omicron on the tournament such as players' time in travel quarantine and, of course, increased risk of contracting the virus. There must also be the possibiity AFCON will be called off.

I can't see the tournament being cancelled at all, money will see to that. Hopefully we as a team can cope OK without them all. Chair & Dieng at least - I really like Kakay and his history with QPR but he's not the same key lynchpin that the other two are.
AFCON on 13:19 - Dec 9 with 849 viewsDavieQPR

The biggest waste will be that Seny will be sat on the bench and won't even get a game.
AFCON on 13:50 - Dec 9 with 804 viewsQPR_Jim

AFCON on 07:05 - Dec 9 by dmm

Is there a timeframe for the nations to get back to us?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024