Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The game of the missing full backs 17:33 - Dec 5 with 4277 viewsqueensparker

Just back and thawed out a bit and not too disconsolate - one of our lowest key performances of the season but a) was impressed by how Stoke set up and kept us out b) we still had and missed a boatload of chances and most of all c) with both our first and second choice full backs out on both sides you could really see how important that position is to the team, without any of Wallace, Adomah, Macallum or Moses available we looked neutered going forward.

Fair play to Field and Kakay for the effort they both put in the yards but they’re not wing backs.

Injuries starting to bite now
The game of the missing full backs on 17:37 - Dec 5 with 3426 viewsconnell10

Totally agree mate that killed us.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

The game of the missing full backs on 18:11 - Dec 5 with 3238 viewsozranger

Can't disagree with anything said there.

However, I think it is important to add that we are also missing Dykes. There is no forward player on our team who will challenge for a ball when it is sent forward. In fact, it would be hard to say that any player forward of our full backs and centre backs actually want to challenge for the ball. That was something Dykes would do a lot. Defenders understood they were in for a game when he played. These days, without Dykes, any ball sent in the air forward is a free header and sometimes without even the semblance of a challenge. I do hope he, along with some of the four you mentioned, are back soon. Eight days to Sheffield, thanks Sky.
The game of the missing full backs on 18:19 - Dec 5 with 3181 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Thawed out? It wasn't that cold.

Not quite back (still in the pub). Yes we had real difficulty playing out from the back today. No real fluidity in our play. I thought Stoke were quite good. Simple style of play but somehow managed to combine numbers at the back with being dangerous on the break.

Positives. Who the fck was that wearing a George Thomas suit!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

The game of the missing full backs on 18:24 - Dec 5 with 3142 viewsLazyFan

Agree, but it gets worse.

With AFCON we lose Kakay, Chair and Dieng. If current injuries stay the same (which could happen).
This means today's team could look like this in the future.

Archer

Ball Dickie Dunne Barbet Field

Willock Dozzell Johansen Thomas

Austin

4 Subs:
Barnes
Amos
McKenna
Gray

I have been harping on about a LB for ages now, but we may be a RB as well.
I notice Warbs sent a message to the board naming only 6 subs.

zzzzzzzzzz

The game of the missing full backs on 18:28 - Dec 5 with 3122 viewsPaddyhoops

The game of the missing full backs on 18:19 - Dec 5 by CliveWilsonSaid

Not quite back (still in the pub). Yes we had real difficulty playing out from the back today. No real fluidity in our play. I thought Stoke were quite good. Simple style of play but somehow managed to combine numbers at the back with being dangerous on the break.

Just not our day. Got mugged again giving away possession. Ball over the top evading all our back 3.
Peterborough, Derby . Groundhog day.
More shots on target , mountains of corners , huge possession stats and inspired keeper yet I still thought Stoke deserved Thier win. We go again!
The game of the missing full backs on 18:32 - Dec 5 with 3096 viewstraininvain

The game of the missing full backs on 18:28 - Dec 5 by Paddyhoops

Just not our day. Got mugged again giving away possession. Ball over the top evading all our back 3.
Peterborough, Derby . Groundhog day.
More shots on target , mountains of corners , huge possession stats and inspired keeper yet I still thought Stoke deserved Thier win. We go again!

That’s pretty much the way I see it. Annoying that we have to wait over a week to go again but the break might benefit us to get a few players back from injury.
The game of the missing full backs on 18:37 - Dec 5 with 3073 viewsBklynRanger

Stoke did a good job on us - O'Neil has them beginning to tick over which was, I think, to be expected. We were far too passive and off the pace for the last 25 mins of that first half though. Just about every player looked below par by the halftime whistle and you could see from the comments and chat in between the play that they weren't happy with each other.

Kakay just isn't good enough for me - I'm sure he can have a decent career as a League 1 defender - that's not an attempt at being unkind - I'd wish him well but he has very rarely filled me with confidence. This is supposed to be his position (or near enough) yet he never looked comfortable or up to the level to me.

I thought he might have been better off having Barbet as the wing back and putting Ball into defence. Field is a good player but that today was a shoehorn too far.

Very frustrating given the opportunity to start to cement a play-off place but we've had a very successful first half of the season so can't complain.
The game of the missing full backs on 18:41 - Dec 5 with 3044 viewsPaddyhoops

The 6th minute applause for the late Arthur Labino Hughes was superb and heartfelt.
Put the football into perspective.
Login to get fewer ads

The game of the missing full backs on 18:49 - Dec 5 with 2999 viewsozranger

The game of the missing full backs on 18:41 - Dec 5 by Paddyhoops

The 6th minute applause for the late Arthur Labino Hughes was superb and heartfelt.
Put the football into perspective.

Yes, even some of the players and definitely the referee also clapped. Not often you see the referee doing that.
The game of the missing full backs on 19:05 - Dec 5 with 2924 viewsHastings_Hoops

The game of the missing full backs on 18:24 - Dec 5 by LazyFan

Agree, but it gets worse.

With AFCON we lose Kakay, Chair and Dieng. If current injuries stay the same (which could happen).
This means today's team could look like this in the future.

Archer

Ball Dickie Dunne Barbet Field

Willock Dozzell Johansen Thomas

Austin

4 Subs:
Barnes
Amos
McKenna
Gray

I have been harping on about a LB for ages now, but we may be a RB as well.
I notice Warbs sent a message to the board naming only 6 subs.

Not sure warbs was sending a message to the board - he understand and buys into the parameters we operate in - and is too intelligent for that nonsense. Probably sending a message to our short tempered fans if anything!
The game of the missing full backs on 19:13 - Dec 5 with 2874 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

The game of the missing full backs on 18:49 - Dec 5 by ozranger

Yes, even some of the players and definitely the referee also clapped. Not often you see the referee doing that.

Yeh that poor boy. Very sad.

The game of the missing full backs on 19:38 - Dec 5 with 2752 viewsLogman

I knew we were in trouble today as soon as Stoke scored but I wouldn't put it all on the full backs.

Let's look at the facts.

Their keeper was inspired and pulled off 6 match winning saves. Their back four were solid and dominant and that became a back six as soon as we got into their final third.
Their midfield snapped at our heels and Vrancic, who scored their second was also pulling strings.
Their front two were a handful and then they even brought another another lively forward.

Given the above I think we did well to get 65% possession and have 24 shots.

So we mustn't get too despondent about this one.

Now, I'll retire to my icebox ......
The game of the missing full backs on 19:55 - Dec 5 with 2681 viewsqueensparker

The game of the missing full backs on 18:19 - Dec 5 by CliveWilsonSaid

Cold enough for me! I walked back in the freezing rain to Kensal Green which turned out to be a bad call as did the jacket I chose…
The game of the missing full backs on 20:03 - Dec 5 with 2626 viewsPikey

The game of the missing full backs on 19:55 - Dec 5 by queensparker

Cold enough for me! I walked back in the freezing rain to Kensal Green which turned out to be a bad call as did the jacket I chose…

65% possession passing the ball slowly back and forth across the back line. It needs to be ticka tacka not
T I c k a t a c k a źzzzzzzzzzz
The game of the missing full backs on 20:09 - Dec 5 with 2588 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The game of the missing full backs on 19:05 - Dec 5 by Hastings_Hoops

Not sure warbs was sending a message to the board - he understand and buys into the parameters we operate in - and is too intelligent for that nonsense. Probably sending a message to our short tempered fans if anything!

So MW is too intelligent to get involved with sending subliminal messages to the board but he's unintelligent enough to get involved with sending subliminal messages to the fans. What utter drivel.
The game of the missing full backs on 20:16 - Dec 5 with 2538 viewsNed_Kennedys

The game of the missing full backs on 19:05 - Dec 5 by Hastings_Hoops

Just what message was he giving the fans then by only having 6 subs?
Warburton needs to promote 3 or 4 of the U23s to the first team squad ASAP: looks like he has no faith in any of them (look at how infrequently Duke-McKenna gets used) but a few more injuries could lead to the bench being half empty soon.
And I don’t buy the ‘in different covid bubbles’ excuse either.
The game of the missing full backs on 20:21 - Dec 5 with 2512 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Warbs in his post match interview:

"Injuries hurt today. We've lost four wing-backs and had six players out. We were light, but that's the Championship and you have to deal with it."

Which begs the question, Mark, why didn't you deal with it (by changing the formation)?
The game of the missing full backs on 20:30 - Dec 5 with 2463 viewsHastings_Hoops

The game of the missing full backs on 20:09 - Dec 5 by Benny_the_Ball

So MW is too intelligent to get involved with sending subliminal messages to the board but he's unintelligent enough to get involved with sending subliminal messages to the fans. What utter drivel.

No benny, that’s not what I said.
The game of the missing full backs on 20:49 - Dec 5 with 2354 viewsdavman

Score that penalty instead of tentatively stab it goalwards at a snail's pace and we win that game.

So frustrating.

Knew we'd miss as soon as it was awarded.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

The game of the missing full backs on 21:42 - Dec 5 with 2160 viewsLazyFan

The game of the missing full backs on 20:49 - Dec 5 by davman

Score that penalty instead of tentatively stab it goalwards at a snail's pace and we win that game.

So frustrating.

Knew we'd miss as soon as it was awarded.

I agree, I knew he would miss it too.

Austin is not the Austin of old. Still useful, but not a forward that we can totally rely upon.

zzzzzzzzzz

The game of the missing full backs on 21:57 - Dec 5 with 2106 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

The game of the missing full backs on 21:42 - Dec 5 by LazyFan

I agree, I knew he would miss it too.

Austin is not the Austin of old. Still useful, but not a forward that we can totally rely upon.

I thought he played quite well really but the penalty was woeful.

The game of the missing full backs on 22:01 - Dec 5 with 2084 viewsVancouverHoop

On the evidence of this season who, Dykes aside, is able to take a penalty with any confidence?
The game of the missing full backs on 22:50 - Dec 5 with 1929 viewsPeterHucker

The game of the missing full backs on 22:01 - Dec 5 by VancouverHoop

On the evidence of this season who, Dykes aside, is able to take a penalty with any confidence?

We scored 8 penalties out of 8 against Everton.
The game of the missing full backs on 22:51 - Dec 5 with 1916 viewsstevec

Been quite impressed with Dozzell recently but Stoke did target his weakness very well today. Wonder if we need someone who’s less likely to get hassled off the ball in front of the back three, certainly against fast breaking teams. Field seems the most likely candidate and his passing is decent.
The game of the missing full backs on 22:52 - Dec 5 with 1921 viewsPeterHucker

The game of the missing full backs on 22:50 - Dec 5 by PeterHucker

We scored 8 penalties out of 8 against Everton.

I actually don't think we played that badly today, especially considering the injuries to the wing backs.
As many have said if the penalty had gone in, I think we'd have gone on to win.
Never mind, we try again at Bramall Lane.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024