Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘Proper club’ 10:20 - Dec 12 with 3928 viewsjoe90

Does anyone know what fans mean when they refer to a football club as being a ‘proper club’?

What is the criteria? Always seems to be northern fans talking about other norther clubs. Or a club that once won something but have been put into administration/had points defected/been caught for cheating/despite having a relatively large fan base/ground have spent far less time in the top flight then their fans would lead you to believe.
‘Proper club’ on 10:27 - Dec 12 with 3023 viewsPinnerPaul

Meaningless, same as 'family' club - anyone know a club where family members do NOT attend together?!
‘Proper club’ on 10:30 - Dec 12 with 3017 viewsSK_hoops

I guess clubs whose support is made predominantly of local support as opposed to teams like Man U who have more fans who live in China than live in England, let alone Manchester.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 10:31]
‘Proper club’ on 10:32 - Dec 12 with 3002 viewsSK_hoops

‘Proper club’ on 10:27 - Dec 12 by PinnerPaul

Meaningless, same as 'family' club - anyone know a club where family members do NOT attend together?!

That term lost all meaning when Millwall were awarded family club of the year.
‘Proper club’ on 10:36 - Dec 12 with 2990 viewsLythamR

Football supporters are partisan

pretty much any football club is "a proper club" and a "family club" as viewed by their own supporters
‘Proper club’ on 10:49 - Dec 12 with 2964 viewsswitchingcode

When you are in the 4 th division losing more times than winning and take 120 midweek to preston you are then seen as proper fans of a proper club.That will change rapidly if you start beating teams and are successful.Millwall see themselves as this which says it all really.
‘Proper club’ on 10:51 - Dec 12 with 2959 viewsTacticalR

Always good to clarify definitions.

Air hostess clique

‘Proper club’ on 11:00 - Dec 12 with 2934 viewsRangersw12

‘Proper club’ on 10:32 - Dec 12 by SK_hoops

For a me a family club is a club who does alot for their local community and surrounding areas.

So I can see why Millwall won that award
‘Proper club’ on 11:04 - Dec 12 with 2925 viewsSK_hoops

‘Proper club’ on 11:00 - Dec 12 by Rangersw12

For a me a family club is a club who does alot for their local community and surrounding areas.

Not really a 'family' atmosphere at the matches though is there?
Login to get fewer ads

‘Proper club’ on 11:04 - Dec 12 with 2925 viewsQPsyR

‘Proper club’ on 11:00 - Dec 12 by Rangersw12

Nice one ;-)

FKA AcidPixie

‘Proper club’ on 11:10 - Dec 12 with 2896 viewsParkRoyalR

‘Proper club’ on 10:49 - Dec 12 by switchingcode

When you are in the 4 th division losing more times than winning and take 120 midweek to preston you are then seen as proper fans of a proper club.That will change rapidly if you start beating teams and are successful.Millwall see themselves as this which says it all really.

Yes, proper as in proper fans who won't disappear after a season or two of disappointment, as so many Arsenal and United fans have in last number of seasons.
‘Proper club’ on 11:17 - Dec 12 with 2869 viewsSK_hoops

‘Proper club’ on 11:10 - Dec 12 by ParkRoyalR

Yes, proper as in proper fans who won't disappear after a season or two of disappointment, as so many Arsenal and United fans have in last number of seasons.

Or Brentford once they get relegated.
‘Proper club’ on 11:43 - Dec 12 with 2817 viewsswitchingcode

‘Proper club’ on 11:17 - Dec 12 by SK_hoops

Or Brentford once they get relegated.

Definitely will happen when we get relegated and that goes for all clubs even yours difference is I’ll still be there even if we went back to the bottom league.I hope you can get up this season ,only if we manage to stay up though and I expect your gates to up from where they are now.So for now don’t get too excited about the target of getting to what is seen as the best league in the world which is in reality the league you are in now.
‘Proper club’ on 12:23 - Dec 12 with 2755 viewsslmrstid

Its just another meaningless phrase in a long list of meaningless twaddle phrases that football fans come out with
‘Proper club’ on 14:49 - Dec 12 with 2597 viewscolinallcars

‘Proper club’ on 12:23 - Dec 12 by slmrstid

Its just another meaningless phrase in a long list of meaningless twaddle phrases that football fans come out with

A bit like “you aint got no 'istory” Although when appied to MK Dons it's most apt.
‘Proper club’ on 15:01 - Dec 12 with 2558 viewsBoston

‘Proper club’ on 14:49 - Dec 12 by colinallcars

A bit like “you aint got no 'istory” Although when appied to MK Dons it's most apt.

Well they do, we just don't like it.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

‘Proper club’ on 15:37 - Dec 12 with 2480 viewsdixiedean

‘Proper club’ on 10:32 - Dec 12 by SK_hoops

Yes the only club in the country where you can make monkey gestures and nobody does anything about it . One of the many reasons I’m in no rush to go back there. Family club my ar5e.
‘Proper club’ on 17:06 - Dec 12 with 2367 viewsngbqpr

‘Proper club’ on 12:23 - Dec 12 by slmrstid

Not just football. ‘Proper’ is a much misused word in music as well.

‘Proper house music’, ‘ proper soul’, ‘proper metal’ etc zzzz…

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

‘Proper club’ on 00:07 - Dec 13 with 2206 viewsPunteR

I use the term "proper" probably too much.
Proper tune
Proper dinner
Proper film
Proper bell end

I like the word.. lol
Proper word.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

‘Proper club’ on 07:35 - Dec 13 with 2089 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Not a Proper Club:

Milton Keynes Dons
‘Proper club’ on 11:52 - Dec 13 with 1906 viewsLythamR

‘Proper club’ on 07:35 - Dec 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

Not a Proper Club:

Milton Keynes Dons

I tend to hold the same view but tell that to the kids that started going there when they were 6 and are now in their teens and grown up supporting them

how long does this last

how long were QPR "not a proper club" when they turned up at LR or when they changed their name to Queens Park Rangers. Spurs fans still think Arsenal are not a "proper north london club!"
‘Proper club’ on 11:59 - Dec 13 with 1880 viewskensalriser

It's a useful addition to any football cliches bingo card.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

‘Proper club’ on 13:31 - Dec 13 with 1791 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

‘Proper club’ on 11:52 - Dec 13 by LythamR

I tend to hold the same view but tell that to the kids that started going there when they were 6 and are now in their teens and grown up supporting them

how long does this last

how long were QPR "not a proper club" when they turned up at LR or when they changed their name to Queens Park Rangers. Spurs fans still think Arsenal are not a "proper north london club!"

Well, AFC fans are still fcking fuming but yeah there is a natural shelf life to it isn’t there. Kids born and attending after their formation have a right to call themselves a proper club I suppose.

Remember reading an article about a Wigan fan who was older than the club a few years ago and thinking the same thing.
‘Proper club’ on 13:41 - Dec 13 with 1777 viewsR_from_afar

‘Proper club’ on 14:49 - Dec 12 by colinallcars

See also Lokomotive Leipzig fans' opinions of RB Leipzig...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

‘Proper club’ on 17:27 - Dec 13 with 1669 viewsthemodfather

it;s what danny dyer says, "pwoper club wangers"
‘Proper club’ on 17:42 - Dec 13 with 1649 viewsstowmarketrange

‘Proper club’ on 13:31 - Dec 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

Well, AFC fans are still fcking fuming but yeah there is a natural shelf life to it isn’t there. Kids born and attending after their formation have a right to call themselves a proper club I suppose.

Remember reading an article about a Wigan fan who was older than the club a few years ago and thinking the same thing.

Maybe if Milton Keynes becomes a city,they can change to Mk city instead of Mk dons?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024