Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who does Steve Cook Replace? 15:00 - Dec 29 with 31887 viewsHastings_Hoops

I would imagine that Steve Cook will be joining us on the assumption of first team football - in which case, who does he replace (style of play / positioning) - I must admit to being a bit ignorant on that one.

Also, I assume that this indicates that:

1) Dickie and / or Barbet will definitely be gone by next season.
Or
2) we’re planning ahead and assuming Cook’s experience could be a great help to Dickie and Dunne in settling into the prem.

…most likely hedging our bets each way.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 15:53 - Dec 29 with 7654 viewsHAMRanger

I'm pretty sure Barbet has said he wants to leave at the end of the season. I have really liked Barbet and I think he has been great for us, but a back 3 of Dickie, Dunne and Cook is pretty solid looking.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 16:36 - Dec 29 with 7573 viewsStevenageRanger

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 15:53 - Dec 29 by HAMRanger

I'm pretty sure Barbet has said he wants to leave at the end of the season. I have really liked Barbet and I think he has been great for us, but a back 3 of Dickie, Dunne and Cook is pretty solid looking.

I have also read that Barbet wants to return to France with wife and kid(s) at the end of this season.

I also think Barbet is fairly decent (solid most weeks although prone to the odd howler albeit they have reduced of late). I do think he is fairly easy to replace though. Plenty of solid/never set the world on fire centre backs out there. The sort of player you will never notice from another team. How many opposition fans would know much about Barbet!
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 16:40 - Dec 29 with 7556 viewsAntti_Heinola

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 16:36 - Dec 29 by StevenageRanger

I have also read that Barbet wants to return to France with wife and kid(s) at the end of this season.

I also think Barbet is fairly decent (solid most weeks although prone to the odd howler albeit they have reduced of late). I do think he is fairly easy to replace though. Plenty of solid/never set the world on fire centre backs out there. The sort of player you will never notice from another team. How many opposition fans would know much about Barbet!

I'd say of all our centre backs, Barbet is the most difficult to replace. He's a really fine, vastly underrated player, the sheen spoiled by a poor startwith us where he gave away pens every other game, but has really been our 'player of the calendar year' - maybe even 18 months. Some diags {TM} he played even the other night were superb. CBs that comfy on the ball, with that sweet left foot, with a bit of pace, do not grow on trees at this level - at least not cheap trees.
It'll be a devastating blow if he goes, but club doing the right thing trying to get someone in before it happens.

Bare bones.

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 16:42 - Dec 29 with 7546 viewsenfieldargh

Is Cook purely a central defender or can he play wing back?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 16:49 - Dec 29 with 7506 viewsNorthernr

I'm surprised at this one TBH. To me it says Barbet isn't staying beyond this season. Otherwise, when everybody is fit, you're going to be leaving out two of Cook, De Wijs and Dunne.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:08 - Dec 29 with 7431 viewsStevenageRanger

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 16:40 - Dec 29 by Antti_Heinola

I'd say of all our centre backs, Barbet is the most difficult to replace. He's a really fine, vastly underrated player, the sheen spoiled by a poor startwith us where he gave away pens every other game, but has really been our 'player of the calendar year' - maybe even 18 months. Some diags {TM} he played even the other night were superb. CBs that comfy on the ball, with that sweet left foot, with a bit of pace, do not grow on trees at this level - at least not cheap trees.
It'll be a devastating blow if he goes, but club doing the right thing trying to get someone in before it happens.

Not sure I would go as far as devastating! Yes he is solid enough but we will find one that is equally as good IMO!

This thread made me have a look at whoscored ratings as a guide (I know thats not everything) to Central Defenders in Championship. There are a fair few above Yohann who I have never really heard of from other clubs (maybe my lack of knowledge beyond QPR in this league though)

Jake Cooper/Shaun Hutchison - Millwall
Levi Colwill - Huddersfield
Michael Helik - Barnsley

Rob Dickie is right up there based on their ratings.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:31 - Dec 29 with 7343 viewsStanisgod

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 16:49 - Dec 29 by Northernr

I'm surprised at this one TBH. To me it says Barbet isn't staying beyond this season. Otherwise, when everybody is fit, you're going to be leaving out two of Cook, De Wijs and Dunne.

Eell, De Wijs is never fit so not much problem there!

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:34 - Dec 29 with 7321 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great post, Antti, completely agree (though I do think devastating may be overstretching it a tad).

Barbet is the best we have at transitioning, by a distance. Dickie may well get there as he has the talent but Barbet is by far the best footballer of the three at the moment and his diags, balls up the line and cut-ins are crucial to getting us out from the back.

He lost Solanke for his two headers the other night, and both were really poor instances of defending, and we could well get a replacement who is better at defending, but the replacement would most likely be much poorer at bringing the ball out, and would be unlikely to be as good an all-round player.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:40 - Dec 29 with 7312 viewsQPROslo

We have only got 4 CB's, we play with 3, and 1 of these is out injured both now and often. We clearly need at least another 1 as back up - Cook maybe. Warburton has said this if I remember right.

If Dickie, or Dunne or Barbet for that matter, are going to be sold January then we'll need to use some of that money to replace them. We can't depend on Ball, Kakay or Field being good enough to fill in there.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:42 - Dec 29 with 7294 viewsterryb

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 16:36 - Dec 29 by StevenageRanger

Maybe I have this wrong, but isn't Barbet married to a Londoner & their child is regarded as British. Perhaps she may not want to go to France? It would be easier for her to deal with her husbands enforced absences if her parents are on hand.

IMO, Barbet has been our best defender since he joined the club & I'm certainly hoping that he stays. The club have stated that nobody will be offered a new contract until the end/near end of the season, so that might be why he hasn't signed one. It might also be why their is speculation about him wanting to return to France.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:53 - Dec 29 with 7246 viewsQPROslo

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:42 - Dec 29 by terryb

Maybe I have this wrong, but isn't Barbet married to a Londoner & their child is regarded as British. Perhaps she may not want to go to France? It would be easier for her to deal with her husbands enforced absences if her parents are on hand.

IMO, Barbet has been our best defender since he joined the club & I'm certainly hoping that he stays. The club have stated that nobody will be offered a new contract until the end/near end of the season, so that might be why he hasn't signed one. It might also be why their is speculation about him wanting to return to France.

Yep, agree Barbet is our best defender, my player of the season last season, and close this He'd be a huge loss if he is going back to France.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:55 - Dec 29 with 7237 viewsQPR_Jim

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:34 - Dec 29 by BrianMcCarthy

Great post, Antti, completely agree (though I do think devastating may be overstretching it a tad).

Barbet is the best we have at transitioning, by a distance. Dickie may well get there as he has the talent but Barbet is by far the best footballer of the three at the moment and his diags, balls up the line and cut-ins are crucial to getting us out from the back.

He lost Solanke for his two headers the other night, and both were really poor instances of defending, and we could well get a replacement who is better at defending, but the replacement would most likely be much poorer at bringing the ball out, and would be unlikely to be as good an all-round player.

I think we're going to struggle to find someone who's as regularly available as he is too. Might make it harder for us to operate with the smaller squad.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 18:23 - Dec 29 with 7166 viewsStevenageRanger

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:42 - Dec 29 by terryb

You may be right re his wife. Was just something I read re him wanting to go back to France.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 18:36 - Dec 29 with 7135 viewsNorthernr

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:31 - Dec 29 by Stanisgod

Eell, De Wijs is never fit so not much problem there!

But, as I say in the Bristol preview, just because somebody is always injured, or in poor form, or not meeting expectation, doesn’t mean they’re not drawing the salary we offered them when we were really keen on signing them. I’m surprised we’re able to add a very good, experienced centre back to a squad that already has four of those, plus Masterson, Ball, Wallace, Kakay and even Field who all could, and have, played in the back three before.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 18:41 - Dec 29 with 7116 viewsHastings_Hoops

I’ve posted before that I think (IF) we were to get promoted, barbet would fit into the prem well.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2021 18:50]
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 18:45 - Dec 29 with 7108 viewsHastings_Hoops

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 16:49 - Dec 29 by Northernr

Dunne is next on the conveyer belt for $$$ after Dickie, might even overtake him at this rate.

My feeling is that Cook is actually brought in with one eye on promotion to bring Dickie and Dunne through a premier league season with reduced trauma.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 22:41 - Dec 29 with 6772 viewsCheshireR

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 18:36 - Dec 29 by Northernr

But, as I say in the Bristol preview, just because somebody is always injured, or in poor form, or not meeting expectation, doesn’t mean they’re not drawing the salary we offered them when we were really keen on signing them. I’m surprised we’re able to add a very good, experienced centre back to a squad that already has four of those, plus Masterson, Ball, Wallace, Kakay and even Field who all could, and have, played in the back three before.

My fear is that the funding required for a Cook or similar will be coming from the sale of Dickie in January.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 23:33 - Dec 29 with 6686 viewsMrSheen

To my eyes, Dickie has looked short of either fitness or confidence for the last three months. Dunne and Barbet have been much more dependable than him.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 23:56 - Dec 29 with 6625 viewsbob566

Jimmy Dunne fast becoming my favourite. He absolutely cleared someone out near the halfway line v Bournemouth with a header. A towering jump but fair one.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 00:07 - Dec 30 with 6601 viewsStainrod

Barbet one of the first names on the team sheet be very surprised if he were dropped. He is NEVER dropped, or even subbed.

Dunne is a young reserve and the obvious one to drop if all three centre backs remain with us - but given the interest in Dickie, its most likely as a replacement for him.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 00:30 - Dec 30 with 6566 viewsLythamR

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 00:07 - Dec 30 by Stainrod

Barbet one of the first names on the team sheet be very surprised if he were dropped. He is NEVER dropped, or even subbed.

Dunne is a young reserve and the obvious one to drop if all three centre backs remain with us - but given the interest in Dickie, its most likely as a replacement for him.

Dunne is the player with the best pedigree and may well be the one with the most potential for further improvement given how few 1st team games he has played in his career so far
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 01:36 - Dec 30 with 6489 viewsBoston

Dunne, is the one who could earn us a ton.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 02:50 - Dec 30 with 6450 viewsDavieQPR

Personally I still can't see Dickie leaving. If Cook replaces Barbet then we will not have a left footed CB. I still think a proper WB is more of a priority.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 07:23 - Dec 30 with 6377 viewsdistortR

'Barbet leaving at the end of the season' may well depend on where we are at the end of the season.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 08:27 - Dec 30 with 6262 viewsQPROslo

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 18:36 - Dec 29 by Northernr

Aren't some of the cost of injured players salaries at least covered by insurance?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024