Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH 14:33 - Mar 20 with 13563 viewsGreenbay

As our season crumbles - let's not forget what a wonderful 2021 we had.
We had a great ride and it gave us lots of joy and hope.
Now we're back to being realistic.
Anywhere in the top 10 is good with the players and the budget we have.
I really hope Warbs stays.
He's assembled three different teams in three years and has been very successful.
Taking over from 19th spot - he's finished 13th, then 9th and wherever we finish this season.
How long did it take Brentford to gain promotion to the Premiership?
It may take us a few seasons - but I believe that Warbs is the man to guide us there.
That's if he wants to of course.
It's no good changing manager and starting all over again.
Warbs is the man.
Yes there'll be big changes to the team for next season.
Yes we may sell a few of our better players - but none of them are really Premiership quality - although Willock and Chair could fill the subs bench at a Premier club.
Also there is the massive temptation for them of lots more money - even at other Championship sides or overseas.
None of us should stand in their way if that's what they want.
Miracles of course might happen.
We might gain 16 points from our last 8 matches and clinch a play-off spot.
Unlikely of course.
So let's start again from a stronger position than we were 3 years ago.

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 21:35 - Mar 20 with 2911 viewsdigswellhoop

100%correct
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 21:40 - Mar 20 with 2893 viewsBAWHoops

Some realism in here and great points made.

Our great form coincided with wing back who's combined age is 70! That simply isn't sustainable.
I think we all know our best team (Dieng, Dickie, Dunne, Barbet, Moses, Field, JoJo, Wallace, Chair, Willock Dykes) and we simply haven't been able to get that 11 on the field for a while. The drop off to our squad players is substantial. It's honest lads who can do a job.

We won't make the play offs and whilst thats a shame the table doesn't lie. Hopefully the last 8 can see us get 3-4 wins and finish the season with a bit of positivity.

Completely trust Warbs to restructure the team next season. He's built 2 sides in his time here, each one better than the last.
There's a real collection of good talented potential in the squad.

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 22:13 - Mar 20 with 2813 viewsqueensparker

Throughout our Jan-Jan title-winning period we had miraculous luck with injuries (ie almost none)

We’ve really struggled to deal with them since Nov time. It’s a small squad punching above its weight with a lot of veterans and it’s finally caught up on us.

Fair to say that as good as last year’s transfer window was, this one has been awful. It could have helped but it has only made things worse, we didn’t need another centre mid, Dom Ball would have been fine. We needed someone, anyone, with pace. Sanderson has been surprisingly shite and shouldn’t have been parachuted into a decent defence.

Having said all that I would still want Warbuton to rebuild this team, smart people learn from their mistakes and he’s definitely making a few right now (dropping Barbet out of the blue, the weird obsession with a slow defensive midfield all sitting back all game). I’d back him to take stock and move forward in the summer
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 22:55 - Mar 20 with 2720 viewsHoopsie

The belief and confidence is sorely missing after the 4-0 thumping of Reading.

It is inexplicable but how can you free fall after that game?

A lot of “can win” games were lost and even when we win most times we were lucky.

“Can win” becomes “must win” and even that we couldn’t beat a team people reckoned already relegated, when we still have much to play for (the play offs)

We play only 45 minutes of a game of football, half a season. And while you are winning quirky team formation, substitutions and bad calls were overlooked. But you keep losing everything is up for scrutiny including sacking the coach

If this goes on till the end of the season, next season surely a concern?

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 00:34 - Mar 21 with 2625 viewsDamo1962

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 22:13 - Mar 20 by queensparker

Throughout our Jan-Jan title-winning period we had miraculous luck with injuries (ie almost none)

We’ve really struggled to deal with them since Nov time. It’s a small squad punching above its weight with a lot of veterans and it’s finally caught up on us.

Fair to say that as good as last year’s transfer window was, this one has been awful. It could have helped but it has only made things worse, we didn’t need another centre mid, Dom Ball would have been fine. We needed someone, anyone, with pace. Sanderson has been surprisingly shite and shouldn’t have been parachuted into a decent defence.

Having said all that I would still want Warbuton to rebuild this team, smart people learn from their mistakes and he’s definitely making a few right now (dropping Barbet out of the blue, the weird obsession with a slow defensive midfield all sitting back all game). I’d back him to take stock and move forward in the summer

We aren't the only team with injuries. It's how you cope when it happens, and in recent years we haven't. Too many excuses and not enough about how the club,manager and players are going to learn and cope with set- backs, that all teams get. Once we get into a closing mentality, we seem powerless to stop it. I couldn't give a toss about the play-offs, it's the poor performances that concern me. We are also drop far too many points at LR...and have been for a long time now. Any upwardly mobile club has a strong home record.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 08:02 - Mar 21 with 2488 viewsswitchingcode

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 14:35 - Mar 20 by paulparker

Is this the same Brentford that sacked Warburton as they didn’t have any faith that he would take them up

He wasn’t sacked ☹️how many times
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 08:04 - Mar 21 with 2488 viewsWegerles_Stairs

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 08:02 - Mar 21 by switchingcode

He wasn’t sacked ☹️how many times

You did upgrade on him though, which is the main thing. I can't see Frank making those three subs yesterday. Warburton has hit his ceiling with us, as Brentford and Forest recognised. Our problem is that I just don't think the board has the acumen to find our equivalent of Frank.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2022 8:08]
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 08:44 - Mar 21 with 2445 viewsswitchingcode

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 08:04 - Mar 21 by Wegerles_Stairs

You did upgrade on him though, which is the main thing. I can't see Frank making those three subs yesterday. Warburton has hit his ceiling with us, as Brentford and Forest recognised. Our problem is that I just don't think the board has the acumen to find our equivalent of Frank.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2022 8:08]

Dean Smith replaced Warburton although Dijkhuizen started the season in charge for a brief period.Frank was brought into the club during Smiths time to assist after we went through a period of poor results.He went on to manage after Dean left for Villa and I would say he improved us.If Warburton leaves I would think John Eustace would be in prime position as replacement and maybe have the same impact.
It’s well known the fallout with Warburton came around the time of the January window when he dug his heels in regarding new signings.Seems like a similar situation happened in this January window when the DoFs suggested getting in a striker and were told not required.Some good posts on here with fans assessments on Warbs as some have said he is very good at developing young players I think his problem is dealing with strong characters in the dressing room and likes to operate with a small strong squad.
I expected him to despite a great second half finish to the season to have got more young players in to improve and add value to squad for future sales as ageing and loan players don’t tick that box.If you don’t make the playoffs but top ten don’t think many could make a case for you underachieving when you look at the teams and money spent by most of the teams apart from Luton.
We spent 8 seasons in the championship,and when we eventually return I won’t shed a tear on leaving the PL apart from the money it’s the most overrated experience for fans of small clubs and I have attended all but a couple of games Home and Away.
Login to get fewer ads

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 09:04 - Mar 21 with 2413 viewsRangersw12

Jesus

Some people who haven't posted for ages all over every thread now .

How sad, they seem to love it when things go tits up 🙄
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 09:14 - Mar 21 with 2395 viewsBerkoRanger

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 08:44 - Mar 21 by switchingcode

Dean Smith replaced Warburton although Dijkhuizen started the season in charge for a brief period.Frank was brought into the club during Smiths time to assist after we went through a period of poor results.He went on to manage after Dean left for Villa and I would say he improved us.If Warburton leaves I would think John Eustace would be in prime position as replacement and maybe have the same impact.
It’s well known the fallout with Warburton came around the time of the January window when he dug his heels in regarding new signings.Seems like a similar situation happened in this January window when the DoFs suggested getting in a striker and were told not required.Some good posts on here with fans assessments on Warbs as some have said he is very good at developing young players I think his problem is dealing with strong characters in the dressing room and likes to operate with a small strong squad.
I expected him to despite a great second half finish to the season to have got more young players in to improve and add value to squad for future sales as ageing and loan players don’t tick that box.If you don’t make the playoffs but top ten don’t think many could make a case for you underachieving when you look at the teams and money spent by most of the teams apart from Luton.
We spent 8 seasons in the championship,and when we eventually return I won’t shed a tear on leaving the PL apart from the money it’s the most overrated experience for fans of small clubs and I have attended all but a couple of games Home and Away.

A really good post, neighbour, which sums up the conundrum all EFL clubs face. I clearly remember giving to the "Save Our Club" bucket collection a few years ago, so am currently delighted we are still in business, still in the Championship (compared to teams like Ipswich, Sheff Wed etc) and in 7th position (having a good season!) On this basis, why wouldn't we keep Warbs. However, we have owners who must have eyes on the big bucks of the Prem - in which case, I think we defo need a new strategy to get there.
As you rightly point out, the conundrum is ...do fans want to see their clubs get promoted, only to then see them lose most of the games in the higher division? The whole football system is so heavily stacked against the less wealthy clubs, particularly as the FA don't care who club owners are as long as they have obscene wodges of cash.....
All the best, Bees, for the rest of the season.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 09:40 - Mar 21 with 2368 viewsNorthantsHoop

Warburton is the right manager for our club, we are now competitive in this division on a limited budget. I would much rather have him building another team than the dross managerial appointments that we have had in the recent past. We all know that our model is to buy good developing potential players at a sensible price and bringing through youngsters. Think the over reliance on the loans is still something that needs addressing, this January's signings have been poor and disrupted the balance of the team that was looking good to that point. I am feeling really positive about our club, think with the opening of the new training facility in Heston next year that is going to attract new youngsters to the club. We need to continue to sell ourselves as the go to club for new young talent with the opportunity to progress to first team football.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 09:43 - Mar 21 with 2355 viewsBAWHoops

Also worth pointing out that teams in a similar position to us have faded (Cov, Blackburn) after a fantastic start to the season.

The 3 that are coming up on us (Sheff U, Boro, Forest) all spent big in January to push forward whilst we had £500k to play with.
Warbs wanted Patterson/Lawrence and we simply couldn't afford them.

Compare what we did to the other 3

Forest - Davies, Cook, Surridge, Panzo, Laryea - Outlay c. £3m
Boro - McGree, Connolly, Balogun, Taylor - Outlay c.4m
Sheff U - Davies, Goode - Outlay c.1m

In hindsight we should have stuck with what we had as opposed to trying to be clever with Sanderson and Hendrick.
But the field we are competing amongst is absurd and we've done superbly to be involved

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 10:02 - Mar 21 with 2302 viewsheadhoops

Some very well thought out comments posted already will hopefully add to them. Firstly I would definitely keep Warbs.

Our issue is the key players in our system are sadly all approaching or have passed their best before dates. The wingbacks, Wallace and Albert, attacking mid, JoJo, and talisman centre forward Charlie. Love them to bits but they all need an upgrade. Our lack of activity in January transfer window has meant relying on goals from Gray, whilst we dont play to his strengths, he's lazy and just not that good, I also get the feeling he's not popular with the rest of the squad.

The loans of Sanderson and Hendricks have been awful.

Then there is our formation, watch the game yesterday and we had five at the back and five at the front, two lines virtually 40 yards apart. We do it a lot when chasing. The players have to see this and react.

We are not out of the play offs yet, unepected wins against, Sheffield, Huddersfield and Fulhan and we are in the mix. Lets see where we are before making any judgements on Warbs.

Lets not forget that a lot of factors beyond his control have gone against us, injuries and a catalogue of inept officials at home fixtures for starters.

That said, just if, Chris Wilder fancies it.........

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 10:24 - Mar 21 with 2265 viewsdaveB

I hope he stays but there are some big warning signs at the moment, the season feels like the reverse of last year with a great start and crap finish compared to the crap start great finish last time.

Couple of things I think he's got wrong since January is the balance of the midfield, is now far too defensive and has lacked energy for a while. The first half yesterday was a breath of fresh air seeing us win the ball back with pressing high up the pitch but that hasn't been a regular thing for us this season.

The loan signings have not worked and it's a worry to see us replace our own players with ones no better than what we have. We'd have been no worse off playing one of Ball, Dozzell and Amos rather Hendrick in the last month and De Wijs offers more than Sanderson imo.

How we finish the season will be key, if this run continues and we slip to 11th/12th I wouldn't be surprised to see a change of manager but hopefully we can finish with a bit more fight about us than we showed yesterday
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 11:13 - Mar 21 with 2187 viewsBenny_the_Ball

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 10:24 - Mar 21 by daveB

I hope he stays but there are some big warning signs at the moment, the season feels like the reverse of last year with a great start and crap finish compared to the crap start great finish last time.

Couple of things I think he's got wrong since January is the balance of the midfield, is now far too defensive and has lacked energy for a while. The first half yesterday was a breath of fresh air seeing us win the ball back with pressing high up the pitch but that hasn't been a regular thing for us this season.

The loan signings have not worked and it's a worry to see us replace our own players with ones no better than what we have. We'd have been no worse off playing one of Ball, Dozzell and Amos rather Hendrick in the last month and De Wijs offers more than Sanderson imo.

How we finish the season will be key, if this run continues and we slip to 11th/12th I wouldn't be surprised to see a change of manager but hopefully we can finish with a bit more fight about us than we showed yesterday

This season does rather feel like a reverse of last. Half a season looking like world beaters followed by half a season looking like relegation fodder. This pattern is often replicated in games; one great half and one poor half. It's this wild inconsistency that's difficult to understand and splits people's opinion on Warburton.

For me, he's earned the right to finish the season; things can change quickly in football and when all's said and done QPR are 8th and still in with a shout of making the play-offs. Whether Mark will be given the opportunity to lead the team into next season will depend on whether he can break the cycle in the remaining fixtures.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 11:20 - Mar 21 with 2178 viewssprocket

Does feel like his time may be coming to an end which is very sad as I think he is not only a good manager but also a good bloke. Something though is just not right. Perhaps he has lost the dressing room? Eustace would be the obvious next choice I think.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 14:55 - Mar 21 with 1999 viewsrobith

Whilst yesterday was immensely disappointed, was slightly confused to log on and see everyone on the internet has decided he should be sacked. Bizarre
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 15:47 - Mar 21 with 1924 viewsfrancisbowles

Btw he has a one year rolling contract!

This means he doesn't need a new contract. He is here until he decides he's had enough or the club decides to replace him, in which case, I would think, he would be due a year's compensation.

I think he should be given a chance to rebuild in the summer. We may not lose any of our better players and may be able to add more legs and ability to the squad.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 15:54 - Mar 21 with 1894 viewsgobbles

Of course he should stay, it would be absolute knee-jerk madness for him to be let go.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 16:01 - Mar 21 with 1856 viewsDTIG

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 14:35 - Mar 20 by paulparker

Is this the same Brentford that sacked Warburton as they didn’t have any faith that he would take them up

You know what...Pretty sure you're right.
Makes you think doesn't it.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 16:04 - Mar 21 with 1852 viewsNewBee

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 08:44 - Mar 21 by switchingcode

Re your last paragraph, I'm sure a good few Bees share your sentment, even if I don't personally (I'm loving this season myself).

But there is surely a conundrum attached to your thinking about preferring the Championship. For if a team - any team - is to be competitive in that division, and therefore enjoyable to watch, they need to have a manager and players who are ambitious.

And that must mean ambitious to climb as high up the tree as possible. I mean, one of the reasons why 2020/21 was so enjoyable was that the players and management clearly wanted to put right the disappointment of losing in the 2019/20 playoffs.

Imagine how dull last season would have been had the players just said: "Well 2019/20 was pretty good, so we're doing all right"?

If nothing else, if our owner wasn't fiercely ambitious then we wouldn't be wondering whether the PL or Championship is the more enjoyable, we'd be wondering whether non-league was more enjoyable than League Two etc, like eg Leyton Orient or Southend.

As for Warburton, whatever else he is, he's clearly incredibly ambitious, which must give him the drive every manager of a professional team needs as a minimum.

Whether he's also got the ability to match his ambition is another matter: I'm beginning to conclude that the Championship is probably his level.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 16:46 - Mar 21 with 1781 viewsParkRoyalR

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 16:04 - Mar 21 by NewBee

Re your last paragraph, I'm sure a good few Bees share your sentment, even if I don't personally (I'm loving this season myself).

But there is surely a conundrum attached to your thinking about preferring the Championship. For if a team - any team - is to be competitive in that division, and therefore enjoyable to watch, they need to have a manager and players who are ambitious.

And that must mean ambitious to climb as high up the tree as possible. I mean, one of the reasons why 2020/21 was so enjoyable was that the players and management clearly wanted to put right the disappointment of losing in the 2019/20 playoffs.

Imagine how dull last season would have been had the players just said: "Well 2019/20 was pretty good, so we're doing all right"?

If nothing else, if our owner wasn't fiercely ambitious then we wouldn't be wondering whether the PL or Championship is the more enjoyable, we'd be wondering whether non-league was more enjoyable than League Two etc, like eg Leyton Orient or Southend.

As for Warburton, whatever else he is, he's clearly incredibly ambitious, which must give him the drive every manager of a professional team needs as a minimum.

Whether he's also got the ability to match his ambition is another matter: I'm beginning to conclude that the Championship is probably his level.

Lads,

In case you had'nt realised you're on the wrong clubs forum.

Yours is the one with an ongoing thread about QPR, another one about a manager in Warburton who left years ago and numerous threads about why all ends of your grounds are filled with away fans and neutrals...

Oh and the real comedy gold bit...how various self proclaimed hooligan legends of the Griffin Park terraces (never sighted when I went to many Brentford games there in the 70's & 80's) are really going to sort them out next time they stand up and sing in support of the away team!

This site is very normal in comparison, maybe a bit like our fanbase.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 18:31 - Mar 21 with 1688 viewsR_from_afar

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 17:51 - Mar 20 by RangersDave

Not sure Warby Warbs has the nouse, ability, motivational skills, personality, knowledge or drive to get us up, or even into the playoffs.

We were warned about his hitting a wall, ability wise, so maybe we shouldnt be surprised that we are witnessing that.

If we lose the next 2, then i'm afraid he has to go. full stop, no tears, just get rid and give a newbie an unencumbered chance at providing football and not Toblerone tippy tappy.

I'd say give Gareth a chance, hell, we've lost 3 times to Peterborough this season, not a lot worse Gareth could do IMHO

Gareth is clearly one hell of a manager given the results he wrings out of his bargain basement squad but Wycombe's season is nosediving in a manner you may find somewhat familiar: Their last 10 results are DDDLLWWDWD and they have slipped out of the play-off positions.

I don't mind his team's direct style but I can see that being a problem with a lot of our fans.

Surely Warburton has earned a bit of patience from us and the board?

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

(No subject) on 20:06 - Mar 21 with 1618 viewsCamberleyR

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 16:01 - Mar 21 by DTIG

You know what...Pretty sure you're right.
Makes you think doesn't it.

He wasn't fcking sacked by them! Read the post from switchingcode the Bees fan above.

Also:
https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2015/february/club-statement/

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 20:54 - Mar 21 with 1564 viewsDannytheR

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 22:13 - Mar 20 by queensparker

Agree with this. Both the Barbet and Amos situations are head scratchers, but it's also important to remember neither would have been here in the first place had Warburton not brought them to the club. And that in both cases, he got all sorts of grief from fans for doing so. (Would be interesting to look back and see how many people were slating him for playing "Monsieur Barbet" and Amos the academy soft-case back at the start of last season.)

Can't and won't defend the run recently, and the decisions made yesterday were shocking. But we're a better team than when he came here, competing in a different half of the table, with players we can get a few quid for and keep building. After Hasselbaink, McLaren and Holloway, I'm surprised how quickly we now take all that for granted.

For what it's worth, I say all that having often been very sceptical of him, including when he first came here. But every time he's looked like he might have taken us as far as he can (which happened more than once), he's pulled something new out of the hat, changed things and turned it around. Again, given some of the wnkers we've had in the manager's office before, maybe that much should buy him a bit of time before we start calling for Warnock to come back again.

All that said, Hendricks and Sanderson should be on a slow train back to their parent clubs, Austin should have his contract paid up and told not to bother coming back in August, and Dykes made to appear at the next home game so we can at least establish that no-one's murdered him.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2022 20:55]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024