Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jake Daniels 18:57 - May 16 with 10073 viewsEastR

Well done young man here's hoping the support far outweighs the detractors, as well it should.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Jake Daniels on 00:26 - May 18 with 2083 viewskensalriser

Jake Daniels on 11:31 - May 17 by slmrstid

One reason it matters very much is that in our own country there are football clubs owned by regimes who put LGBT+ people to death. Other clubs have links to regimes that have some of the most oppressive anti-LGBT laws in the world.

I'm not on Twitter to check but it will be interesting to see if those clubs give any public statements of support for Mr Daniels, or whether they will be suspiciously silent.

And the World Cup is being held in a country where homosexuality is illegal…

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Jake Daniels on 10:04 - May 18 with 1982 viewsNW5Hoop

It's not very long ago this board had threads about how singing "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" to Brighton fans was "just a bit of banter". Hope this changes some minds.
Jake Daniels on 11:15 - May 18 with 1920 viewsNushnool

Jake Daniels on 00:17 - May 18 by baz_qpr

Good on the kid, lets hope others build on that, for his generation it really is no big deal at all

Exactly, hopefully this will spur things on, so we can quickly get to the point where it’s not a story at all for any footballer.
Jake Daniels on 11:29 - May 18 with 1857 viewsSheffieldHoop

Is this the end of the "Stick the blue flag up your arse" song?

After all, I'm sure in 2022, being anally probed with a Chelsea flag is actually a valid way of exploring your sexuality and gender identity.

IMO it's all just banterphobic nonsense.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Jake Daniels on 11:48 - May 18 with 1863 viewsBklynRanger

You could try switching to lug worms Sheff?
Jake Daniels on 11:48 - May 18 with 1862 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Jake Daniels on 11:29 - May 18 by SheffieldHoop

Is this the end of the "Stick the blue flag up your arse" song?

After all, I'm sure in 2022, being anally probed with a Chelsea flag is actually a valid way of exploring your sexuality and gender identity.

IMO it's all just banterphobic nonsense.

“Stick the blue flag up your arse” is a retort to “keep the blue flag flying high”. So no don’t be daft.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Jake Daniels on 11:54 - May 18 with 1844 viewsWestbourneR

I believe it was 'stand up if you can't sit down' for Brighton

Crass but I always it was felt tongue in cheek

Perhaps not the right expression for this context...

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Jake Daniels on 11:55 - May 18 with 1801 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jake Daniels on 11:48 - May 18 by BklynRanger

You could try switching to lug worms Sheff?

Yeh or we could just accept that "We can see you holding hands" is hardly prompting LGBT people or Brighton fans to go and commit suicide en masse. It is literally a bit of fun.

Login to get fewer ads

Jake Daniels on 12:02 - May 18 with 1816 viewsAntti_Heinola

Jake Daniels on 11:55 - May 18 by SheffieldHoop

Yeh or we could just accept that "We can see you holding hands" is hardly prompting LGBT people or Brighton fans to go and commit suicide en masse. It is literally a bit of fun.

Is it though? How about you accept that what might be 'a bit of fun' for your easily pleased sense of humour might not be comfortable for someone else, and just resist the urge to sing it? I know I'm guilty of taking you far too literally here, but if crossing the line for you in terms of a chant is when someone commits suicide, you might want to re-evaluate a bit.

Bare bones.

Jake Daniels on 12:15 - May 18 with 1750 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jake Daniels on 12:02 - May 18 by Antti_Heinola

Is it though? How about you accept that what might be 'a bit of fun' for your easily pleased sense of humour might not be comfortable for someone else, and just resist the urge to sing it? I know I'm guilty of taking you far too literally here, but if crossing the line for you in terms of a chant is when someone commits suicide, you might want to re-evaluate a bit.

I used suicide because isn't that the stick the activist types who campaign against this sort of thing commonly use as their sledgehammer?

Anyway, some of my favorite moments in football stadiums have been derived from funny songs, banter, and sometimes even abuse, usually directed at home fans. Yeah, that 3-0 at Sheff U early in the 10-11 promotion season was good, but it was made great by that home fan storming out with his bird after we started singing "She's just too good for you" at him. So I think it's fair for people to question where the line is when we're in a time where the acceptable standards are clearly changing and the sort of people who wish to ban people for these kinds of things are more often than not the people who get what they want.

Back to the original point - Stunning and Brave - abuse or banter? Be good to know before anyone starts writing to the club about it.

Jake Daniels on 12:28 - May 18 with 1755 viewsRBlock

Jake Daniels on 11:55 - May 18 by SheffieldHoop

A bit of fun for you, but perpetuating the notion that someone's sexuality is a joke and is fair game to take the piss out of, as if it's wrong or not normal. That sort of attitude is what contributes to the anxiety, depression, and psychological issues that so many people from the LGBTQ+ community suffer from throughout their lives. So it's not about whether you think it's a bit of fun - it's about the impact it has on a marginalised section of society.
Jake Daniels on 12:42 - May 18 with 1675 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jake Daniels on 12:28 - May 18 by RBlock

A bit of fun for you, but perpetuating the notion that someone's sexuality is a joke and is fair game to take the piss out of, as if it's wrong or not normal. That sort of attitude is what contributes to the anxiety, depression, and psychological issues that so many people from the LGBTQ+ community suffer from throughout their lives. So it's not about whether you think it's a bit of fun - it's about the impact it has on a marginalised section of society.

When have I suggested that being gay is wrong or not normal? You've just made that up - Taking the piss out of Brighton fans sitting in the away end "holding hands" is hardly akin to telling them to burn in hell, is it?

Edit - Remember Dave Kitson crying about the ginger abuse he used to get? Are gingers off-limits in your Stonewall-Compliant Banterphobic Stadia?
[Post edited 18 May 2022 13:03]

Jake Daniels on 13:29 - May 18 with 1570 viewsNW5Hoop

Jake Daniels on 12:42 - May 18 by SheffieldHoop

When have I suggested that being gay is wrong or not normal? You've just made that up - Taking the piss out of Brighton fans sitting in the away end "holding hands" is hardly akin to telling them to burn in hell, is it?

Edit - Remember Dave Kitson crying about the ginger abuse he used to get? Are gingers off-limits in your Stonewall-Compliant Banterphobic Stadia?

1. The fact that you think it is something worth singing about says you think it is unusual. No, that chant is not telling them to burn in hell. It is telling everyone who hears it: "Homosexuality is not the normal state of things, and it is to be mocked."
2. I'm ginger. And I'll happily rip into anyone around me in the Paddocks whom I hear taunting players for being ginger. I've been hearing it all my life and I am absolutely sick of it. It absolutely fills me with rage. And Jesus, hearing grown men shout abuse at people for their *hair colour*. It's like listening to someone revert to being six years old, and particularly stupid.
Jake Daniels on 13:57 - May 18 with 1514 viewsLogman

I agree. We are all different. Its pathetic to have a laugh at someone's expense just because they don't comply with the norm. Between mates in a football team is a different scenario from someone you have never met before in your life making unnecessary remarks.
Jake Daniels on 14:08 - May 18 with 1482 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Jake Daniels on 12:42 - May 18 by SheffieldHoop

Yep sorry. No ginger jokes either! I used to be ginger when I was younger (although it’s less obvious now).

I used to laugh hard at the “He’s got a f*cking big nose” Alan Smith chants. Not sure we can do them either now!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Jake Daniels on 16:31 - May 18 with 1339 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jake Daniels on 13:29 - May 18 by NW5Hoop

1. The fact that you think it is something worth singing about says you think it is unusual. No, that chant is not telling them to burn in hell. It is telling everyone who hears it: "Homosexuality is not the normal state of things, and it is to be mocked."
2. I'm ginger. And I'll happily rip into anyone around me in the Paddocks whom I hear taunting players for being ginger. I've been hearing it all my life and I am absolutely sick of it. It absolutely fills me with rage. And Jesus, hearing grown men shout abuse at people for their *hair colour*. It's like listening to someone revert to being six years old, and particularly stupid.

1) Is that why we sing "The finest football team the world has ever seen" - Mocking ourselves?
2) Yeh it's quite obvious you can't take a joke

Jake Daniels on 16:40 - May 18 with 1323 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jake Daniels on 14:08 - May 18 by CliveWilsonSaid

Yep sorry. No ginger jokes either! I used to be ginger when I was younger (although it’s less obvious now).

I used to laugh hard at the “He’s got a f*cking big nose” Alan Smith chants. Not sure we can do them either now!

Good luck telling people to stop in the real world mate.

Jake Daniels on 18:03 - May 18 with 1277 viewstoboboly

oh dear

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Jake Daniels on 18:50 - May 18 with 1210 viewsngbqpr

Jake Daniels on 18:03 - May 18 by toboboly

oh dear

Just saw that, so disappointing.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Jake Daniels on 18:57 - May 18 with 1191 viewsNorthernr

Urgh, so disappointing. Said it before, imagine being Paul Morrissey, guy must be fcking terrified of his own phone.

If ever there was a case of ‘if you can’t say something nice you probably don’t need to say anything at all’ then this was surely it. If you hold those views, that’s your right, Though I’m always interested in these footballers who are happy to carry gambling ads, alcohol, indulge in both, but suddenly become all devout when it comes to somebody else’s sex like. But does it need broadcasting like that? At this moment?

What you’ve done there is any gay lad at our club, first team, academy, now knows the senior keeper feels that way. As if coming into a senior dressing room wouldn’t be tough enough at 18. And it’s a statistical racing certainty we will have at least one such lad somewhere.

And of course, the qpr twitterati already giving it “my goalkeeper” underneath.

2022 and still this.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Jake Daniels on 19:44 - May 18 with 1103 viewsSheffieldHoop

LGB* acceptance is only really common in the more developed parts of the West. The majority of countries around the world are still massively homophobic and will still be massively homophobic for years to come. Even if their law is changed. You can't change the world overnight.

*Leaving off the T as I think that's the next step of acceptance which will take even longer to achieve. Difficult for the under-developed countries to genuinely even consider a lot of this stuff while still dealing with the basic everyday challenges that face them, such as finding safe food to eat.

Jake Daniels on 20:09 - May 18 with 1092 viewsNorthernr

Jake Daniels on 19:44 - May 18 by SheffieldHoop

LGB* acceptance is only really common in the more developed parts of the West. The majority of countries around the world are still massively homophobic and will still be massively homophobic for years to come. Even if their law is changed. You can't change the world overnight.

*Leaving off the T as I think that's the next step of acceptance which will take even longer to achieve. Difficult for the under-developed countries to genuinely even consider a lot of this stuff while still dealing with the basic everyday challenges that face them, such as finding safe food to eat.

I’m sure that’s right, but Seny Dieng is from Zurich.
Jake Daniels on 20:19 - May 18 with 1064 viewsWatfordR

Jake Daniels on 20:09 - May 18 by Northernr

I’m sure that’s right, but Seny Dieng is from Zurich.

I'm sure Sheffield can speak for himself, but I took his comment to mean that, perhaps if the PSG keeper has family in a country where homophobia is more the cultural norm, then wearing a shirt which appears to oppose that norm could be dangerous for his family.
Jake Daniels on 20:49 - May 18 with 1016 viewstoboboly

Jake Daniels on 20:19 - May 18 by WatfordR

I'm sure Sheffield can speak for himself, but I took his comment to mean that, perhaps if the PSG keeper has family in a country where homophobia is more the cultural norm, then wearing a shirt which appears to oppose that norm could be dangerous for his family.

Then he should probably bugger off to a country where homophobia is fine. Happy to take the money but a complete c unt when it comes to this.

*rant not aimed at you Watford just the hypocrisy of players

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Jake Daniels on 21:06 - May 18 with 991 viewsNorthernr

Jake Daniels on 20:19 - May 18 by WatfordR

Ok, but Seny doesn’t have to support that does he. And like I say surely intelligent enough to know that this time his opinion isn’t vital, either say something nice about the kid or keep it to yourself.

I’ve very low tolerance for ppl who are religious when it suits. You can’t run around with Football Index on your shirt but then object to a rainbow number. That’s just using your supposed religion as a front for actually just not liking the gays.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024