Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mother Nature 02:20 - Jun 28 with 6225 viewsBoston

...and all that. I spend a considerable amount of time walking through woodland, luckily this is not difficult in most parts of New England as we're blessed with easily accessible forestry even in the more densely populated areas.
Had many a brush / glimpse of wildlife over the years and today was another, though rather unusual occasion. Crawling down the expressway in the supreme command vehicle, we'd just crossed the Boston / Milton boundary line (which is a river) and were passing through the heavily reeded tributaries that abound around there when I noticed a strange object approaching my truck. Can't usually focus on anything but the road when driving, but this time the slow progress of traffic and path of the oncoming bird gave me a super clear view of a Peregrine Falcon carrying a fish half it's size clasped between its talons. Apologies for boring the non 'outdoorsy' types.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2022 2:21]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Mother Nature on 02:31 - Jun 28 with 3669 viewsQPR_Jim

That's pretty special.

I'm currently in Lake Louise, done a few hikes and seen some Elk and Chipmunks but nothing exciting. Today I went slightly off trail into a clearing and happened across a furry animal the size of a large cat, thought it was a raccoon but when it got up and moved it had furry legs as well so then panicked thinking it could be a bear cub and I was about to encounter it's protective mother. Anyway turns out it was just a marmot or as my Mrs would describe it, a large rat. Probably for the best.
Mother Nature on 06:23 - Jun 28 with 3557 viewsLblock

As a young un in the Construction industry my attitude was “concrete it over”…..jokingly of course.
Ignorance of youth - lots you don’t appreciate.
When my first black lab entered my life 13 years ago she changed it massively for the better and walking in various locations is just the best thing. In that time we’ve …
Been attacked by a Muntjack
Chased a small herd of deer around a paddock in Devon
Seen a heron rise majestically from a lake with a breakfast fish in its mouth
Watched a stoat on the hunt at 5:50am
Witnessed countless amazing sunrises over countryside and coast; likewise sunsets
Taken in views from hilltops and cliffs that just sprung up on us
Nearly caught countless hares (i could do with them for my head)
Become familiar with countless different breeds of birds and animals
But….mainly….had time to stop, breathe and relax

For the above, and thousands of other moments the past and to come, we shall be forever grateful to my dogs and nature

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Mother Nature on 06:25 - Jun 28 with 3559 viewsSunnyVanGo

It’s those surprise moments that really get me.
Something too about predators in the wild (although owl sanctuaries are up there with roman forts for first date options... Partridge?).
Ospreys are the birds most recognisable with fish, but I’ve been told that a hungry peregrine will steal or pirate a fish caught by an osprey.
New England on the list Boston - covid scuppered attending a wedding near Camden, Maine in 2020 but we’ll get across one day.
Mother Nature on 07:31 - Jun 28 with 3475 viewsHantsR

That sounds brilliant. I spend a good deal of my time observing and photographing wildlife, mostly birds when I can. Living near the New Forest, Hampshire rivers and South coast, we're blessed with some great wildlife sites. I've watched Osprey catch fish, only a few miles away near Romsey; they sometimes nest in sites including Poole Harbour and are a fabulous sight. Peregrines are also getting increasingly common, the pair nesting in Winchester cathedral are the most celebrated, but I've never heard of them catching fish, that must have been quite remarkable to see. edit: as Sunny suggests, it could well have been 'pirated'
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 11:26]
Mother Nature on 07:49 - Jun 28 with 3422 viewsdistortR

Mother Nature on 07:31 - Jun 28 by HantsR

That sounds brilliant. I spend a good deal of my time observing and photographing wildlife, mostly birds when I can. Living near the New Forest, Hampshire rivers and South coast, we're blessed with some great wildlife sites. I've watched Osprey catch fish, only a few miles away near Romsey; they sometimes nest in sites including Poole Harbour and are a fabulous sight. Peregrines are also getting increasingly common, the pair nesting in Winchester cathedral are the most celebrated, but I've never heard of them catching fish, that must have been quite remarkable to see. edit: as Sunny suggests, it could well have been 'pirated'
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 11:26]

Walking in nature is one of my things. Walking by a nearby bay last year, I saw a seal surface to have a look - not an unusual occurrence, but it was then attacked by a furious yellow wagtail, for reasons neither I nor, I think, the seal could discern.
Mother Nature on 08:04 - Jun 28 with 3391 viewsMetallica_Hoop

We were chased by a riled elephant when in the Kruger Park in a 1 litre Kia which wasn't much faster than said elephant.

It wasn't our fault, he was blocking an obscure road for a car we came round the corner and he flipped, luckily Demi had time to point us the other way.

On our own off the beaten track we had a pride of lions walk around the car on a dirt road as they stalked a herd. Windsor Safari it wasn't!.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Mother Nature on 08:31 - Jun 28 with 3362 viewskropotkin41

Mother Nature on 08:04 - Jun 28 by Metallica_Hoop

We were chased by a riled elephant when in the Kruger Park in a 1 litre Kia which wasn't much faster than said elephant.

It wasn't our fault, he was blocking an obscure road for a car we came round the corner and he flipped, luckily Demi had time to point us the other way.

On our own off the beaten track we had a pride of lions walk around the car on a dirt road as they stalked a herd. Windsor Safari it wasn't!.

Being chased by an elephant in a 1l Kia is the stuff of true adventure!

After six years we had about three weeks left living in the mountains in France. Our place was along the Vallée de Bellongue in the Couserans, and if you love wildlife it's an amazing place to go. Anyway, I went out into the veg garden to get some leeks for dinner and I heard a deep growling from the bracken nearby. I stood very still. About 25m from where I was a brown bear stood up, let out a polite little growl and turned away. The bear then walked away and uphill, letting out enough growls to let me know she was there before standing once more, looking around and then heading off into the woods.
I moved at last housewards, amazed at the privileged encounter I'd just had.
I only told one person about the bear because the bears are contentious down there, but word got to L'Office National de la Chasse et la Faune Sauvage and, just before we left our mountain home, I had a visit from a lovely man whose job was following the local bears. I could now, if needs be recognise bear poo!
The Combe de Nabos, where we lived was the place, a decade or so earlier, the first of the Slovenian brown bears had been released, to return the species to its old haunt in the Pyrenees.

Oh gawd, I miss living there. La France me manque.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2022 8:34]

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Mother Nature on 08:35 - Jun 28 with 3347 viewsCroydonCaptJack

We get various birds in our garden here in Surrey including the usual Tits, Blackbirds, Dunnets, Magpies, Jays and the occasional Woodpecker. My favourite is the Robin though. Not only are they tame and cheeky but they have the looks and are the best singers too.

On Sunday I heard the familiar tic tic noise they sometimes make when there is danger about but it went on for ages and sounded like it was several of them. Upon investigation it was coming from my neighbours hedge and it was actually the fledglings first flight by the seems of it. The two adults were aloft watching the youngsters gingerly fly from one tree to the other and back again. It was quite a sight.

Sometimes it does seem the best things in life are free.
Login to get fewer ads

Mother Nature on 08:49 - Jun 28 with 3317 viewsdanehoop

Mother Nature on 08:35 - Jun 28 by CroydonCaptJack

We get various birds in our garden here in Surrey including the usual Tits, Blackbirds, Dunnets, Magpies, Jays and the occasional Woodpecker. My favourite is the Robin though. Not only are they tame and cheeky but they have the looks and are the best singers too.

On Sunday I heard the familiar tic tic noise they sometimes make when there is danger about but it went on for ages and sounded like it was several of them. Upon investigation it was coming from my neighbours hedge and it was actually the fledglings first flight by the seems of it. The two adults were aloft watching the youngsters gingerly fly from one tree to the other and back again. It was quite a sight.

Visited Nairobi with work about 6 years ago and was collected at the airport with my team about 1 AM to get to the hotel in town. We drove about 5 minutes away from the terminal and a small herd of Zebra decided to run across the road, and, I kid you not, they chose to do this by running across a pedestrian crossing. Zebras crossing a road, using a Zebra crossing.

Turns out there is a national park next to the airport and animals running across the road is commonplace. Still, it made my trip.

Never knowingly understood

Mother Nature on 08:52 - Jun 28 with 3318 viewsHantsR

Mother Nature on 08:31 - Jun 28 by kropotkin41

Being chased by an elephant in a 1l Kia is the stuff of true adventure!

After six years we had about three weeks left living in the mountains in France. Our place was along the Vallée de Bellongue in the Couserans, and if you love wildlife it's an amazing place to go. Anyway, I went out into the veg garden to get some leeks for dinner and I heard a deep growling from the bracken nearby. I stood very still. About 25m from where I was a brown bear stood up, let out a polite little growl and turned away. The bear then walked away and uphill, letting out enough growls to let me know she was there before standing once more, looking around and then heading off into the woods.
I moved at last housewards, amazed at the privileged encounter I'd just had.
I only told one person about the bear because the bears are contentious down there, but word got to L'Office National de la Chasse et la Faune Sauvage and, just before we left our mountain home, I had a visit from a lovely man whose job was following the local bears. I could now, if needs be recognise bear poo!
The Combe de Nabos, where we lived was the place, a decade or so earlier, the first of the Slovenian brown bears had been released, to return the species to its old haunt in the Pyrenees.

Oh gawd, I miss living there. La France me manque.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2022 8:34]

A Canadian guide told us if you find yourself confronted by a big bear in the woods, throw human excrement at it. "What if there isn't any around?" - "don't worry, there will be!"
Mother Nature on 09:14 - Jun 28 with 3266 viewsMrSheen

Got the shock of my life when I was six inches away from putting my foot on a snake out walking in Kerry - OK, it was only about two foot long but, St Patrick, where are you?
Mother Nature on 09:16 - Jun 28 with 3257 viewsdmm

Over the years we've really got into country rambling and always enjoy seeing and trying to identify the beautiful flora and fauna of our area. Spotting birds of prey like red kites, buzzards and kestrels is always a highlight of a walk.

We've become interested in foraging this year, which I know has become a bit of a fad now, but it really is amazing just how much food is all around us.
Mother Nature on 09:52 - Jun 28 with 3178 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Mother Nature on 09:14 - Jun 28 by MrSheen

Got the shock of my life when I was six inches away from putting my foot on a snake out walking in Kerry - OK, it was only about two foot long but, St Patrick, where are you?

I saw a snake near British Camp in the Malverns last year. On my way up to the West Brom game.

More recently I did a walk in Sandwich Bay and Deal with unusual (to me) wild flowers and other plant life including Sea Holly.

As for Skylarks, I don’t know what those warren farm people were going on about. They’re everywhere!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Mother Nature on 10:31 - Jun 28 with 3114 viewsPunteR

Mother Nature on 02:31 - Jun 28 by QPR_Jim

That's pretty special.

I'm currently in Lake Louise, done a few hikes and seen some Elk and Chipmunks but nothing exciting. Today I went slightly off trail into a clearing and happened across a furry animal the size of a large cat, thought it was a raccoon but when it got up and moved it had furry legs as well so then panicked thinking it could be a bear cub and I was about to encounter it's protective mother. Anyway turns out it was just a marmot or as my Mrs would describe it, a large rat. Probably for the best.

Lake Louise is a spectacular place. There's another lake further up the mountain and a stunning waterfall. I did a trek around Canada's national parks through the Rockies 22 years ago. I'd love to go back there and take my wife and kids.
It's obviously bear country and we camped out every night at various places. Banff,Jasper to name a couple of places. Saw a bear on the other side of a lake about 60 yards away, some cubs in a tree near the roadside while we were driving but the closest was when we had a visit on our camp site while we were in our tents. All our bags had to be roped up to tops of trees to stop the bears rummaging for food. Saw loads of chipmunks, elk and also saw the northern lights one night.
Fabulous place Canada. If I could move to another country it would be there.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Mother Nature on 10:43 - Jun 28 with 3089 viewsPunteR

Mother Nature on 08:35 - Jun 28 by CroydonCaptJack

We've got 2 Robins that nest in our garden every year. We have a climber bush on our fence and i think they lay eggs 2 or 3 times a year?.
Funny little things that have now got used to us and Murphy our dog. It's funny watching 2 little Robins try and bully our American Bully back into the house as they try and keep him away from the nest and chick's. We do have to keep an eye out when the chick's first start to fly as they don't get far and Murphy thinks it's a fun game chasing them.

Mother Nature on 10:50 - Jun 28 with 3062 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Mother Nature on 10:43 - Jun 28 by PunteR

We've got 2 Robins that nest in our garden every year. We have a climber bush on our fence and i think they lay eggs 2 or 3 times a year?.
Funny little things that have now got used to us and Murphy our dog. It's funny watching 2 little Robins try and bully our American Bully back into the house as they try and keep him away from the nest and chick's. We do have to keep an eye out when the chick's first start to fly as they don't get far and Murphy thinks it's a fun game chasing them.

I must just add that within an hour the sound of the Robins had been drowned out by DJ Punters seamless tuneage at 6pm
Mother Nature on 11:00 - Jun 28 with 3055 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Mother Nature on 10:43 - Jun 28 by PunteR

I live in a second floor flat and there’s a tree not far from my window. Last couple of years a family of Magpies have made there nest there. I can’t actually see the nest but I can hear the chicks. Them and their parents make a bit of a racket sometimes and I’ve noticed less smaller birds around more recently but I’ve actually grown to quite like them.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Mother Nature on 11:24 - Jun 28 with 2987 viewsderbyhoop

Living in rural France we see a wide variety of nature's gifts. Nothing special but we have 2 spotted woodpeckers visiting our feeding station. Buzzards are commonplace. And pheasants and partridges.
Walking the dog last year I disturbed a pack of wild boar, a mother and about 6 hogs. Fortunately they ignored me and ran into a field away from me. Often see small deer (chevreuil). Last week a badger ran across the path in front while walking the dog. Dog wanted to chase it, but, fortunately, couldn't get to it.pp

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Mother Nature on 12:42 - Jun 28 with 2909 viewsR_from_afar

Great thread, but then I love watching wildlife and wildlife gardening. My wildflower mini-meadow is now well established and there are some really unusual wildflowers appearing unexpectedly. The wild basil I added myself is thriving and is a thing of beauty. The bird's foot trefoil is spreading like mad, hoorah. The big payback for the effort was when one of these visited my suburban garden and lingered for maybe 20 minutes while I took pic after pic:

Now is the time to go to see wildflower meadows, if that's your thing. Most of them will be cut by the middle or end or July. This one, near Oxford, is amazing, three or four large fields jam-packed with wildflowers - including orchids - and alive with butterflies and other pollinating insects. https://www.bbowt.org.uk/nature-reserves/bernwood-meadows

It also has the smallest purpose built car park I have ever come across. You can just about squeeze in four cars. There is more parking at the woods a few hundred yards away. The whole area is a hot spot for the hairstreak butterfly family.

When I saw the meadows, I understood why the route of the M40 was altered to avoid them. The meadows have been traditionally managed for well over 100 years.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Mother Nature on 13:17 - Jun 28 with 2854 viewsPunteR

What happened to Stag beetles.? Don't see them anymore.

Mother Nature on 13:21 - Jun 28 with 2845 viewsPunteR

Mother Nature on 10:50 - Jun 28 by CroydonCaptJack

I must just add that within an hour the sound of the Robins had been drowned out by DJ Punters seamless tuneage at 6pm

Mother Nature on 14:28 - Jun 28 with 2764 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Played golf last Saturday early at a beautiful course called Forest Preserve National .As name suggests saw a few female deer plus young off in the distance but on hole 9 hit the jackpot .
After I unloaded my drive and while the next guy was shaping up to hit ( yes he is slower than Harrington ) a beautiful male deer walked out of the woods ,calmy stopped for a second looked at us then simply jogged across the fairway .Of course we are old so no phones on us to take the picture but he was so relaxed I was thrilled to see .
At my house this May 2 baby possums were abandoned by their mother and were out in daylight (nocturnal animals so this is the clue they are left) We tried to catch them and bring them to the local sanctury but those buggers could move .
A well fed and agressive cat got one but killed it just to kill and left it under my truck so myself and my daughter were determined to save the other one .
Bought a $40 safe metal trap put cut up fruit and water in there and happily she went in and next day we gave her to the lady who runs the sanctury .We named her Penolepe and she is thriving and according to the woman is a team leader leading the other baby possums around to play and explore .I know its not much but we felt good and watching my daughter so determined to save here was very uplifting for me
Mother Nature on 15:00 - Jun 28 with 2702 viewsR_from_afar

Mother Nature on 13:17 - Jun 28 by PunteR

They're quite rare these days and I haven't seen one for ages. I know you're from the Bracknell area, there is a small children's play area on the Forest Park side of Martin's Heron railway station and on the path between that and the sewage works - yes, I know, very glamorous - someone has created some habitat designed for stag beetles, using lots of deadwood including some old logs part buried in the ground. They like that sort of thing, apparently.

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/invertebrates/beetles/stag-beet

PS: Thanks for the curry recommendation, Shahidas do a brilliant takeaway mmm curry

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Mother Nature on 15:19 - Jun 28 with 2674 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've been doing a lot of hiking and climbing these last few years and one of our gang is an ecologist. it's been enjoyable picking up little bits of info from him, as we traipse along humming The Sound of Feckin' Music.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Mother Nature on 15:31 - Jun 28 with 2633 viewsMick_S

Mother Nature on 13:17 - Jun 28 by PunteR

All out having a party. Young lad saw snake at work the other day and had a meltdown - it was a grass snake.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024