Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? 21:37 - Jul 30 with 17321 viewsDejR_vu

There's been some debate on other threads about LF.

Les was appointed DoF in Feb 2015. We were relegated, bottom. Burnley and Hull were relegated with us.

We left behind the likes of Aston Villa and Newcastle, who have been relegated since but are back in the Premier League. There were Stoke and West Brom who, although now in the Championship, stayed in the Premier League for a few more seasons before getting relegated.

Sunderland survived that year.

Leicester had been promoted with us the previous season.

Crystal Palace had survived their first season.

In the Championship that season were Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich, Middlesbrough, Brentford, Wolves, Cardiff, Forest, Leeds, Fulham.

Sheff Utd were in league One.

Clubs have been relegated with big wage bills, but promoted since. Clubs have traded their way to the Premier League. Clubs have produced academy players they've sold for big money.

We've wasted parachute money, we've sold one player for big money, and had smaller wins with a couple more. We've let Manning, and BOS slip through our fingers for nothing. Our academy hasn't produced a player who's been sold for money under LF's watch.

The best striker we've had is a bloke we borrowed twice who had a two month purple patch.

Looking at that list, Sunderland and Hull have done worse than us.

Burnley, Newcastle, Leicester, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich, Brentford, Wolves, Fulham and Sheff Utd have all done significantly better. I think you can add Cardiff, West Brom and Stoke to that list. Villa, Leeds and Forest are all in the Premier League now.

Different clubs with different ways of doing things, but all more successful than us, even though we had the advantage of Premier League money / parachute money over many of them back then.

How can anyone claim LF is doing a good job? I'm genuinely interested. I can't fathom it.

[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 21:45]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:46 - Jul 30 with 2239 viewspaulparker

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:13 - Jul 30 by eastside_r

One game into the season and we get an anti-Les thread.

Just because he’s a club legend player does not mean he’s immune to criticism.
But FFS. Really?
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 22:13]

Not one game seven and a half years
Don’t get me wrong he has done a lot of good but our recruitment has been woeful when we have had money to spend and we have spaffed a load of it against the wall on mediocrity without any return bar Eze

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:48 - Jul 30 with 2246 viewsMedwayR

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:44 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

Take your pick. No two clubs are identical. But, there’s way too many doing better than us to think we’re just being persecuted by the football gods.

No, you tell me. You’ve made reference to ‘other clubs’, so which clubs are you referring to?

Poll: Who’s better?

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:51 - Jul 30 with 2221 viewsDejR_vu

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:48 - Jul 30 by MedwayR

No, you tell me. You’ve made reference to ‘other clubs’, so which clubs are you referring to?

I’ve listed them all in the opening post. Read that. CWS picked out Brentford and Bournemouth so if you want to pick a couple go with those

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:54 - Jul 30 with 2210 viewsMatch82

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:46 - Jul 30 by paulparker

Not one game seven and a half years
Don’t get me wrong he has done a lot of good but our recruitment has been woeful when we have had money to spend and we have spaffed a load of it against the wall on mediocrity without any return bar Eze

Our recruitment has been awful for the last decade plus, both before and after Les' tenure. Personally I think it is moving in the right direction.

While we haven't seen any return on investment yet, the majority of our squad (not all) has decent sell on value and I don't know the last time we could say that
How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:54 - Jul 30 with 2209 viewseastside_r

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:36 - Jul 30 by DannytheR

Jesus Christ. Is it seriously going to be like this on here every time we lose this season?

It is, isn't it?

I am afraid mate it probably is.

I’m on here all the time and mainly for Clive’s editorial content, rather than the message board which I have read avidly but comment irregularly considering how long I have been following this site and it’s predecessor.
How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:57 - Jul 30 with 2174 viewsessextaxiboy

Jesus Christ. Is it seriously going to be like this on here every time we lose this season?

It is, isn't it?

I mad isnt it ?

First day games often throw up odd results ,(Norwich lost ) new coach , players not fit, lost to a worldy hit , away from home .

...and the sky has fallen in .

Judge him on a season (at the earliest) not 90 minutes
How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:57 - Jul 30 with 2171 viewsMedwayR

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:51 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

I’ve listed them all in the opening post. Read that. CWS picked out Brentford and Bournemouth so if you want to pick a couple go with those

So you’re comparing us to a long list of clubs, most of whom are currently or have recently been in the premier league, or have been bankrolled whilst ignoring FFP. I can’t see any club there that’s anything like comparable to us bar Brentford, and we know the score on that one, ironically LF has got us running far closer to Brentford’s model than when he arrived.

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:59 - Jul 30 with 2168 viewsDejR_vu

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:54 - Jul 30 by eastside_r

I am afraid mate it probably is.

I’m on here all the time and mainly for Clive’s editorial content, rather than the message board which I have read avidly but comment irregularly considering how long I have been following this site and it’s predecessor.

It’s a message board, for discussion and debate. No one’s forced to read or comment on anything.

Login to get fewer ads

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:00 - Jul 30 with 2164 viewsDejR_vu

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:57 - Jul 30 by essextaxiboy

I mad isnt it ?

First day games often throw up odd results ,(Norwich lost ) new coach , players not fit, lost to a worldy hit , away from home .

...and the sky has fallen in .

Judge him on a season (at the earliest) not 90 minutes

Essex this has got nothing to do with MB.

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:00 - Jul 30 with 2162 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:44 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

Take your pick. No two clubs are identical. But, there’s way too many doing better than us to think we’re just being persecuted by the football gods.

What's you're biggest worry? Relegation?

I think you'll find most clubs around us are getting twitchy and quite a few above us are looking over their shoulder.

If the worst thing that happens to me in the next 9 months is QPR going to League 1 then things aren't too bad.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:03 - Jul 30 with 2140 viewsessextaxiboy

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:00 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

Essex this has got nothing to do with MB.

Maybe , but you must see that the timing of your thread looks as if it is a reaction to todays result .
How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:07 - Jul 30 with 2120 viewsDejR_vu

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:57 - Jul 30 by MedwayR

So you’re comparing us to a long list of clubs, most of whom are currently or have recently been in the premier league, or have been bankrolled whilst ignoring FFP. I can’t see any club there that’s anything like comparable to us bar Brentford, and we know the score on that one, ironically LF has got us running far closer to Brentford’s model than when he arrived.

😂 I’m comparing us to a list of clubs that we were in a better position than in 2015 (Prem club /Prem money / parachute payments) but have done better then us since.

WE were bankrolled, WE ignored FFP.

You don’t think, say, Bournemouth or Palace or Watford, or Fulham are similar to us?

Like I say, no two clubs are identical but all clubs have challenges. They’re all doing better than us.

No accountability at QPR

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:10 - Jul 30 with 2106 viewsDejR_vu

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:03 - Jul 30 by essextaxiboy

Maybe , but you must see that the timing of your thread looks as if it is a reaction to todays result .

I’ve explained why I’ve posted the thread. I’ve also been critical of LF for years and regularly on here over the summer.

Edit: Sorry Essex, didn’t mean to down arrow
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 23:22]

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:13 - Jul 30 with 2085 viewspaulparker

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:54 - Jul 30 by Match82

Our recruitment has been awful for the last decade plus, both before and after Les' tenure. Personally I think it is moving in the right direction.

While we haven't seen any return on investment yet, the majority of our squad (not all) has decent sell on value and I don't know the last time we could say that

Our prized asset is Willock and he is coming to the end of his contract pretty soon
Other than that I’m struggling to name a player who is going to attract a big transfer fee
Clive called it a couple of months ago that if we get off to a poor start then questions will be asked of Les and rightly so
Yes the recruitment was shocking before Les came in but the reason we bought in a DOF was to stop the madness and start selling players on for big money so we could survive and prosper
The problem is what funds we have had we have squandered on players who have not been good enough or have been allowed to run down contracts
Respected pros Ned & Clint hill have made no secret of the failings of our DOF are they wrong ?
I want it to succeed but it’s nearly 8 years and we are still no better off than we he took the role on

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:17 - Jul 30 with 2069 viewsDejR_vu

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:00 - Jul 30 by CliveWilsonSaid

What's you're biggest worry? Relegation?

I think you'll find most clubs around us are getting twitchy and quite a few above us are looking over their shoulder.

If the worst thing that happens to me in the next 9 months is QPR going to League 1 then things aren't too bad.

No, my biggest fear is the future of the club.

I’ve been saying this since we were in the Premier League and plenty on here were accepting relegation as a good thing, as a chance to regroup, when we had fluked and cheated the last promotion. We were never going to pull that rabbit out of that hat again.

The stark reality is that we need Premier League money to survive. In the absence of PL money we’re reliant on owners to pump in £12m a year just to pay the bills. The current owners bought a PL club, if they wanted a Championship club they could have bought one for far less. They will get bored at some point.

A bigger club will go bust at some point. If the owners pull the plug, who’s to say it won’t be us?

We can’t afford to waste season after season while the DoF gets the hang of the job.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 23:25]

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:24 - Jul 30 with 2028 viewsNortholt_Rs

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:17 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

No, my biggest fear is the future of the club.

I’ve been saying this since we were in the Premier League and plenty on here were accepting relegation as a good thing, as a chance to regroup, when we had fluked and cheated the last promotion. We were never going to pull that rabbit out of that hat again.

The stark reality is that we need Premier League money to survive. In the absence of PL money we’re reliant on owners to pump in £12m a year just to pay the bills. The current owners bought a PL club, if they wanted a Championship club they could have bought one for far less. They will get bored at some point.

A bigger club will go bust at some point. If the owners pull the plug, who’s to say it won’t be us?

We can’t afford to waste season after season while the DoF gets the hang of the job.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 23:25]

The current owners turned a PL club into a Championship club. Twice.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:27 - Jul 30 with 2010 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:13 - Jul 30 by paulparker

Our prized asset is Willock and he is coming to the end of his contract pretty soon
Other than that I’m struggling to name a player who is going to attract a big transfer fee
Clive called it a couple of months ago that if we get off to a poor start then questions will be asked of Les and rightly so
Yes the recruitment was shocking before Les came in but the reason we bought in a DOF was to stop the madness and start selling players on for big money so we could survive and prosper
The problem is what funds we have had we have squandered on players who have not been good enough or have been allowed to run down contracts
Respected pros Ned & Clint hill have made no secret of the failings of our DOF are they wrong ?
I want it to succeed but it’s nearly 8 years and we are still no better off than we he took the role on

I don't really see it like that. I think we've created an environment that our owners don't mind subsidising. At the same time we've created a club that I personally love supporting.

I do agree that we've wasted far too much time and money on the wrong type of player for far too long.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 00:08 - Jul 31 with 1941 viewsPunteR

Comes down to the owners but we've been very reliant on Lee Hoos to steady the ship probably more so then LF. Hoos is an accountant, a money man ,not a football man. The last 8 years has been about finances and I would assume recouping the money lost.
Let's see how this season pans out.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 02:45 - Jul 31 with 1866 viewsLblock

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 22:22 - Jul 30 by PlanetHonneywood

I’d like to see a current organigram for QPR and wonder what the various individuals’ job specs are.

From the outset I always wondered like many others: what was the DOF’s function(s) at the time the role was created? Who else were considered for the role? And, why and on what basis did an inexperienced LF get the job? I doubt LF has a job spec per se, so what are the targets by which his performance is measured against?

Thing is, if he left tomorrow, I don’t think QPR would implode and if a DOF were required, I bet we could find more qualified candidates to replace him.

The LF/DOF math never really added up for me. Happy for anyone to answer my questions and assuage my concerns.

You’re right – just think back to when Bungle appointed him.

The job spec should’ve read that we needed a DoA… Director of Appeasement was a far more appropriate Job Description.
His qualifications for Bungle were:-
Club legend
High profile
Nice smile

There was no plan.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 05:56 - Jul 31 with 1810 viewsPlanetHonneywood

It is, isn't it?

No doubt and some losing their plots one game in isn’t healthy.

However, there are several points raised that were pertinent prior to kick off yesterday and, in some cases, stretching way back and, above LF as well. In relation to the later, it does appear to those more learned than I, that QPR has improved how it’s run and I’m sure LF has inputted to that.

But to outsiders like me, last season unraveled somewhat with three distinct factions not in tune: the suits; the boots and the coot on the important issue of: the club’s ‘footballing’ direction. Unless I’m mistaken, isn’t that under LF’s remit?

Either way: Mr. Beale like many before him, will be working with several challenges presented by those around him.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2022 7:53]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 07:58 - Jul 31 with 1727 viewsWegerles_Stairs

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:24 - Jul 30 by Northolt_Rs

The current owners turned a PL club into a Championship club. Twice.

Sorry, accidentally down-arrowed.

The most worrying thing is we have gone into the season with obvious glaring gaps in our side. The manager knows this, the supporters know this, but I'm not sure about those at a higher pay grade.

I'm a longstanding critic of the owners and the DoF, but Beale looks like a positive appointment and it's certainly not fair to judge our season on one game. However, the DoF must be under scrutiny this season based on the breakdown of the relationship with Warburton and the questionable quality of the products coming through the youth set-up. Beale can't be expected to turn water into wine.
How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 08:10 - Jul 31 with 1679 viewsKonk

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:07 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

😂 I’m comparing us to a list of clubs that we were in a better position than in 2015 (Prem club /Prem money / parachute payments) but have done better then us since.

You don’t think, say, Bournemouth or Palace or Watford, or Fulham are similar to us?

Like I say, no two clubs are identical but all clubs have challenges. They’re all doing better than us.

No accountability at QPR

Since Tony Khan was appointed Fulham DOF his dad has written-off £600m of debt. But we have been promoted 3 times. And relegated twice.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 08:12 - Jul 31 with 1675 viewsMedwayR

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 23:07 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

No accountability at QPR

We got a record fine & punishment for it and had to change our ways. LF’s remit was to do that for us, I’d say he’s succeeded. No, none of them are comparable.

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 08:17 - Jul 31 with 1667 viewsPunteR

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 08:10 - Jul 31 by Konk

Since Tony Khan was appointed Fulham DOF his dad has written-off £600m of debt. But we have been promoted 3 times. And relegated twice.

How does £600 million debt just get written off?
And where is that £600 million now.?
Is most of that tax paid, VAT on player ? How does it work?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 08:49 - Jul 31 with 1619 viewsHastings_Hoops

How does Les Ferdinand get away with it? on 08:17 - Jul 31 by PunteR

How does £600 million debt just get written off?
And where is that £600 million now.?
Is most of that tax paid, VAT on player ? How does it work?

…ask Lee Hoos… He’s the accountant 😉…(think he’s a lawyer by training?)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024