Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amusing or concerning? 11:35 - Aug 1 with 19037 viewsMyke

I can't decide if I am amused or concerned by the negative backlash on here to one, ONE (narrow) away defeat - god only knows what Twitter was like!
Amused on one level, because I can remember a time when league tables weren't even compiled until the first three games were completed - now they are 'live' and a team's position literally changes by the minute.
Concerned because there was a similar reaction to McClaren's first three games in charge and the club panicked and brought in old strikers to assuage the fans. That should not happen again. That is NOT our identity anymore. We need to be patient. We may get an odd shallicking until our new defence and system beds in. Very likely (even without any more signings - which is unlikely) Shodipo, Dozzell and Dykes will now be regular starters and possibly Steph also, once everyone is fit. If, as I expect, we bring in a few more players, then you can likely add Kakay (who was actually okay on Sat) to that list. Two players were making their full debuts and another, with no training sessions, got a run out.
I firmly believe this team will get incrementally better as the season progresses. Not chalk and cheese performances like over the pat two seasons, but a gradual, tangible improvement. We may be in an around the relegation spaces for the first few weeks, but nobody ever got relegated in August or even September - and certainly not in JULY!!
Amusing or concerning? on 10:23 - Aug 3 with 1845 viewsPhildo

Some interesting point on this thread both ways.

Slightly worried that a change of manager has left us with some square pegs in round holes once again - eg Dunne sitting on the bench. Where do the likes of SJ and Adomah fit into a high pressing style?

It is also obvious that we have needed an upgrade at full back for what - 3 years? Recruitment has been patchy at best- for quite a while despite the analytics etc.

We remain stuck without a new stadium option - although the decline of retail make me wonder if something could open up there at some point.

We basically need a bit of good fortune although with FFP it looks like a slog for a club like us.

The club has done lots of good encouraging stuff as well - in the community etc. I am aware of some acts of kindness to my wider family members for example.

So I feel a bit torn. Losing an opening day game is no big deal at all and I cannot bear the twitter overreactions.

But the underlying concern is real. When Bulstrodes heart gave out on the job we were at the beginning of a spiral- and I wonder at times if we could be another heartbeat away from more trouble.
Amusing or concerning? on 10:47 - Aug 3 with 1766 viewsPunteR

Amusing or concerning? on 10:23 - Aug 3 by Phildo

Some interesting point on this thread both ways.

Slightly worried that a change of manager has left us with some square pegs in round holes once again - eg Dunne sitting on the bench. Where do the likes of SJ and Adomah fit into a high pressing style?

It is also obvious that we have needed an upgrade at full back for what - 3 years? Recruitment has been patchy at best- for quite a while despite the analytics etc.

We remain stuck without a new stadium option - although the decline of retail make me wonder if something could open up there at some point.

We basically need a bit of good fortune although with FFP it looks like a slog for a club like us.

The club has done lots of good encouraging stuff as well - in the community etc. I am aware of some acts of kindness to my wider family members for example.

So I feel a bit torn. Losing an opening day game is no big deal at all and I cannot bear the twitter overreactions.

But the underlying concern is real. When Bulstrodes heart gave out on the job we were at the beginning of a spiral- and I wonder at times if we could be another heartbeat away from more trouble.

Good post.
There's legitimate concerns.
It seems a one step forward, two back scenario start of every season.
Let's see how Beale does. I don't think anyone is on his case. Most fans are looking towards the DoF at this point in time.
I really like Les Ferdinand , I really hope it works out but we've got to start performing consistently well on the pitch soon because we can't just keep changing the managers without questioning if we're doing the other things right behind the scenes. It's a valid point.
We're doing lots of things right but we need to push on at some point.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Amusing or concerning? on 11:03 - Aug 3 with 1710 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Amusing or concerning? on 10:47 - Aug 3 by PunteR

Good post.
Let's see how Beale does. I don't think anyone is on his case. Most fans are looking towards the DoF at this point in time.
I really like Les Ferdinand , I really hope it works out but we've got to start performing consistently well on the pitch soon because we can't just keep changing the managers without questioning if we're doing the other things right behind the scenes. It's a valid point.

I’d say it was more two steps forward one step back personally, unless you really feel we are worse off than we was in 2015.
Amusing or concerning? on 11:06 - Aug 3 with 1694 viewsR_from_afar

It has been said before but arguably the biggest and most pressing problem of all - and unfortunately the hardest nut to crack - is our stadium and how it limits our income on the days when there is no game on.

More room to host revenue generating activities other than football matches would increase our FFP headroom and a revised or brand new stadium might also mean more tickets sold on match days.

Higher revenues would also ease the precarious situation we are in whereby the club is not self-sustaining and needs that £1m+ cash injection from our owners every month.

It's one hell of a problem, though, and until we can fix it, we are going to have to continue trying to turn base metal into gold.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Amusing or concerning? on 11:07 - Aug 3 with 1689 viewsRangersw12

Amusing or concerning? on 10:47 - Aug 3 by PunteR

Good post.

If Beale fails then LF position will become untenable
Amusing or concerning? on 11:09 - Aug 3 with 1673 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Amusing or concerning? on 11:07 - Aug 3 by Rangersw12

Why? No one thought appointing Beale was a bad idea, and Ferdinand followed a process very different to the one that delivered Redknapp, Hughes, McClaren, and Hasselbaink.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2022 11:44]
Amusing or concerning? on 12:33 - Aug 3 with 1547 viewsDavieQPR

Amusing or concerning? on 13:35 - Aug 2 by paulparker

The questions are being asked because it’s not just one game
Since January we have been pathetic, the home games against Fulham, sheff Utd & Peterborough particularly stand out for me I don’ t think we had a shot on target in the second half of them
We have carried that hangover into Blackburn ,
10 years ago the likes of Norwich , Brentford Bournemouth, Watford, Crystal Palace were on our level or below , now they are streets a head of us
Who do we compare to now ? Luton , Millwall , both of them are doing better than us
How long will it be until we can’t compete with them ?

It's not to long ago Oldham, Wimbledon. Ipswich and Sheff Wed were in the Premier League so cherry picking comparisons isn't really on.
Amusing or concerning? on 12:49 - Aug 3 with 1527 viewskensalriser

Amusing or concerning? on 11:07 - Aug 3 by Rangersw12

What constitutes failure?

For me it would be relegation.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Amusing or concerning? on 13:08 - Aug 3 with 1502 viewsPunteR

Amusing or concerning? on 11:03 - Aug 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’d say it was more two steps forward one step back personally, unless you really feel we are worse off than we was in 2015.

Yeh you're probably right. I wouldn't disagree with that.

Amusing or concerning? on 13:10 - Aug 3 with 1481 viewsRangersw12

Amusing or concerning? on 12:49 - Aug 3 by kensalriser

Difficult one

I would say anything below midtable should be seen as a failure.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2022 13:29]
Amusing or concerning? on 13:26 - Aug 3 with 1419 viewsPunteR

Amusing or concerning? on 11:09 - Aug 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Why? No one thought appointing Beale was a bad idea, and Ferdinand followed a process very different to the one that delivered Redknapp, Hughes, McClaren, and Hasselbaink.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2022 11:44]

Without going over the whole thing again but getting rid of Warburton then replacing him with a relative novice is a bit of a gamble. I don't think anyone disagreed with most of the manager sackings over the last 7-8 years apart from maybe Holloway and even that decision was an easy one. The Warburton one was a big call. If this season goes better than last then fair play. All the plaudits should go to LF and the board.

Amusing or concerning? on 13:28 - Aug 3 with 1416 viewsdaveB

I'd go along with that, like a lot of clubs we are 2 good signings away from a playoff push imo and 2 bad ones away from going down. How we do in the market over the next few weeks is really vital
Amusing or concerning? on 13:42 - Aug 3 with 1401 viewsPunteR

For me it would be not getting back to the Premier league. We've set ourselves the bar. Albeit with spending money but the challenge is to do things properly this time and lay some foundations that hasn't been put in place since as long as I can remember. Self sustainability is another challenge we set ourselves. How long that takes is open to debate. According to our friends down the road it's about 10 years to turn a club around. We're pushing 8 years. Do we think we are going to be at the same level as Brentford (pain's me to say) in 2 to 3 seasons? Are we going to have players we can start selling at the tens and twenty million mark? We seem a long way off to me.
The new training ground is the best thing to happen to us for a while and I'm really excited to see how well we can utilise it.

Amusing or concerning? on 13:43 - Aug 3 with 1399 viewsAntti_Heinola

Amusing or concerning? on 13:26 - Aug 3 by PunteR

Without going over the whole thing again but getting rid of Warburton then replacing him with a relative novice is a bit of a gamble. I don't think anyone disagreed with most of the manager sackings over the last 7-8 years apart from maybe Holloway and even that decision was an easy one. The Warburton one was a big call. If this season goes better than last then fair play. All the plaudits should go to LF and the board.

Without going over the whole thing again geting rid of any manager and replacing them with another manager is a gamble, regardless of experience.
It's all a gamble.

Bare bones.

Amusing or concerning? on 13:48 - Aug 3 with 1392 viewsPunteR

Let's not forget we have billionaire owners. We are in a good place compared to a lot of clubs. We are hampered by FFP like everyone else but we have the potential to do well.

Amusing or concerning? on 13:57 - Aug 3 with 1368 viewsPunteR

Amusing or concerning? on 13:43 - Aug 3 by Antti_Heinola

Without going over the whole thing again geting rid of any manager and replacing them with another manager is a gamble, regardless of experience.
It's all a gamble.

True.

Amusing or concerning? on 14:03 - Aug 3 with 1335 viewsPinnerPaul

Amusing or concerning? on 13:43 - Aug 3 by Antti_Heinola

It's all a gamble.

When the fun stops, Stop.
Amusing or concerning? on 14:10 - Aug 3 with 1328 viewsNorthantsHoop

Totally agree, the goal is to maintain Championship status and I hope Michael Beale will be a success and continue to build a team and a style of football that both entertains and makes us competitive in the Championship.
On the whole I am positive about the future of the club, training ground progressing nicely, trying to live within our means etc, if we can make progress on a new ground than that would be significant, but the overiding factor is to maintain our Championship status.
Amusing or concerning? on 14:24 - Aug 3 with 1309 viewsRangersw12

Amusing or concerning? on 14:10 - Aug 3 by NorthantsHoop

Totally agree, the goal is to maintain Championship status and I hope Michael Beale will be a success and continue to build a team and a style of football that both entertains and makes us competitive in the Championship.
On the whole I am positive about the future of the club, training ground progressing nicely, trying to live within our means etc, if we can make progress on a new ground than that would be significant, but the overiding factor is to maintain our Championship status.

We've just had 3 years of building under MW so surely we should be in a position to kick on now?

If it's just about staying up then we might aswell have kept MW and not gambled with a novice
Amusing or concerning? on 14:39 - Aug 3 with 1268 viewsPinnerPaul

Amusing or concerning? on 14:24 - Aug 3 by Rangersw12

We've just had 3 years of building under MW so surely we should be in a position to kick on now?

If it's just about staying up then we might aswell have kept MW and not gambled with a novice

A novice is a little disparaging considering he's had more top flight coaching experience than MW and worked at 2 of the top academies in the country!

Manager experience - you are of course factually correct!
Amusing or concerning? on 14:39 - Aug 3 with 1269 viewsNorthernr

Amusing or concerning? on 14:24 - Aug 3 by Rangersw12

Last year was your "kick on" year, and we blew out. The nature of the three-year rolling FFP thing means it'll take a little while, and another big sale, to work ourselves into that position again.

The way round this is to be constantly selling for big money and reinvesting, but we haven't managed to get that wheel turning sadly.
Amusing or concerning? on 14:48 - Aug 3 with 1229 viewsPinnerPaul

Amusing or concerning? on 14:39 - Aug 3 by Northernr

Last year was your "kick on" year, and we blew out. The nature of the three-year rolling FFP thing means it'll take a little while, and another big sale, to work ourselves into that position again.

The way round this is to be constantly selling for big money and reinvesting, but we haven't managed to get that wheel turning sadly.

You need a win to cheer yourself up Clive!
Amusing or concerning? on 15:30 - Aug 3 with 1150 viewskensalriser

Amusing or concerning? on 13:42 - Aug 3 by PunteR

For me it would be not getting back to the Premier league. We've set ourselves the bar. Albeit with spending money but the challenge is to do things properly this time and lay some foundations that hasn't been put in place since as long as I can remember. Self sustainability is another challenge we set ourselves. How long that takes is open to debate. According to our friends down the road it's about 10 years to turn a club around. We're pushing 8 years. Do we think we are going to be at the same level as Brentford (pain's me to say) in 2 to 3 seasons? Are we going to have players we can start selling at the tens and twenty million mark? We seem a long way off to me.
The new training ground is the best thing to happen to us for a while and I'm really excited to see how well we can utilise it.

Promotion, really? Over what time frame? It's not going to happen this year.

We've been at this level for what, 20 out of the last 26 years.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Amusing or concerning? on 15:41 - Aug 3 with 1120 viewsEastR

A reminder of our league recent years finishing positions (in the Championship):
2015/16 — 12th
2016/17 — 18th
2017/18 — 16th
2018/19 — 19th
2019/20 — 13th
2020/21 — 9th
2021/22 - 11th

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Amusing or concerning? on 16:41 - Aug 3 with 1022 viewsmonners1969

A good thread with lots of different content - which I like - my own view is Beale is here due to the often repeated statement of NR which we’ve got a little close to the ceiling again and that MB is here to improve players (heaven forbid that’s a coaches role) we will at best get 2 more players in this window (unless we sell someone significant l) which means the coaching team
Will have to improve players like kakay dozzell shodipo even Hamalanen so that the squad has depth behind (what is still ) a good 1st 11 - the main question for me is if MB can bring dykes back to a player who finished 2020 2021 ? season incredibly strongly as we’re gunna need him big style to compete - on a positive note we still have a strong backbone and the worries of losing chair and willock seem to have gone for another year (time to extend contract
For CW?)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024